Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Am a bit concerned about my weight. Am nealy 19 weeks and although I have a noticable bump now which I think is the average size for 19 weeks, and much bigger boobs, my scales is telling me I am the same weight as I was when I found out I was pregnant (at 7 wks)?

I have also noticed that I have lost weight on other parts of my body eg. on my arms - it's almost like the weight is moving from other parts pf my body to my bump / boobs.

How can this be? If I was not eating enough I would understand, but I am eating three square meals a day plus fruit and snacks - am on definitely more food than I ate before I was pregnant - I can even match my boyfriends appetite now ( and he is a big guy). I seem to spend a good bit of my day eating. I also take my pre-natal vitamins, calcium and iron - But still no actual weight gain according to my scales...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Try not to get too hung up on weight gain or loss providing you're eating all the right foods and calories that you need.

On my last pregnancy I was overweight and left the maternity hospital lighter than my pre pregnancy weight. This time around I'm still overweight and again I've not put on any weight - I'm at a similar stage to you as I'm just gone 20 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Cunning, I am in the same boat - 18 weeks tomorrow, and haven't gained as much as a pound since they weighed me at 7 weeks. And I am eating like a horse as well - plus there is an obvious bump. Doctor told me not to worry, it'll fall into place at some point -as long as you get the proper nutrients, you should be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Cunning, I'm 23 weeks tomorrow & have only put on half a stone.
    Had only put on 3lbs by 16 weeks & in the last 7 weeks have put on 4lbs. The only reason I've put on the weight I'd say is that I've a bit of sweet tooth now, so am eating a bit more junk than before, so it's not even good weight I'd say - just calories from sugar. All around me, people I know & people from other forums have put on a stone plus, so don't let it bother you.
    My friend has a 5 year old & while pregnant on him, she went from a size 8 to a size 6 :eek: and he's perfectly fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Thanks all. that puts my mind a bit more at ease. It's my first and I am worried about EVERYTHING :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

30 weeks today!! :D

Into the single digits countdown now... :eek::):eek:

Went visiting the in- laws at the weekend and they had a gorgeous moses basket for us, with sheets all washed and ironed, and a really cute blanket and a little teddy!! So so sweet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

liliq wrote: »
    30 weeks today!! :D

Into the single digits countdown now... :eek::):eek:

Went visiting the in- laws at the weekend and they had a gorgeous moses basket for us, with sheets all washed and ironed, and a really cute blanket and a little teddy!! So so sweet :D

aww you lucky thing! :D

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Yep next Wednesday and we'll have a better idea then. So fingers crossed. Plus I will insist on hCG test on Wednesday if scan isn't right

Best of luck today Barbiegirl, hope you get good news xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Avril123

Am a bit concerned about my weight. Am nealy 19 weeks and although I have a noticable bump now which I think is the average size for 19 weeks, and much bigger boobs, my scales is telling me I am the same weight as I was when I found out I was pregnant (at 7 wks)?

I have also noticed that I have lost weight on other parts of my body eg. on my arms - it's almost like the weight is moving from other parts pf my body to my bump / boobs.

How can this be? If I was not eating enough I would understand, but I am eating three square meals a day plus fruit and snacks - am on definitely more food than I ate before I was pregnant - I can even match my boyfriends appetite now ( and he is a big guy). I seem to spend a good bit of my day eating. I also take my pre-natal vitamins, calcium and iron - But still no actual weight gain according to my scales...:confused:

I am the same, I am 21 weeks pregnant and have a tiny bump, I have not gained weight..yet anyway :D but people say it's normal as it is my first but I just wish I had a bigger bump so more people would notice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Hi everyone we saw a heartbeat today :-) so delighted so another scan in 2 weeks we're getting a bit excited again. Prayers for a sticky baby welcome :D

• Advertisement

That is fantastic news Barbiegirl, congratulations!

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Hi everyone we saw a heartbeat today :-) so delighted so another scan in 2 weeks we're getting a bit excited again. Prayers for a sticky baby welcome :D

Excellent Barbiegirl! That's great news :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Glad the news was good barbiegirl, praying it stays that way for you.

We had our first scan yesterday (19 weeks) and it was soo lovely to finally see little bun (and yes, there's just the one, I'm relieved and a bit sad :o).
    Everything looked good, it seems to be another mentaller kicking and bouncing about for the cameras. We didn't ask whether it's a girl or boy. Doctor revised the due date to 23 November (much likelier than the 18th) but my money is on the 28th. As long as it comes before Christmas, I'm happy! Only downside was that the placenta is very low, so fingers crossed it'll move itself upwards. We're in for another scan at 32 weeks, should have a better idea by then. But yeah, happy days here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Sending good sticky vibes your way barbiegirl ;)
    On the down side i had an abnormal result on the 2nd gtt on thursday. . so it's to the diabetic clinic for me next week. .. to say i'm freaking out is an understatement and i'm cursing every sweet thing i've ever eaten and howling at the moon for this one being the only one i haven't been sick on. .:(
    What were the chances.. i was so careful too not overeating and watching what i ate (my dad had type 2 diabetes) i haven't put on any weight at all and i'm just so disappointed and annoyed. .. every curseword is going through my head wondering what they're going to do or say.. i've a restricted diet anyway without dairy so i don't have any idea what to expect. . poor poor me:(

Congratulations Catmelodeon you must be delighted to know that everything is okay. I hope the placenta moves up for you as it does in most cases.

Cbyrd that must be very disappointing for you with the GTT result. The only thing is that it's caught now and if you had gestational diabetes which was untreated that would be far worse.

Big scan for me in the next few days. Fingers crossed everything is alright.

Big scan for me tomorrow...think it'll never get here...hopefully all will be okay...though I'm a bit worried they may find a Kung Fu Panda instead of a baby :o

Big scan for me tomorrow...think it'll never get here...hopefully all will be okay...though I'm a bit worried they may find a Kung Fu Panda instead of a baby :o

Good Luck, I had my 21 week scan last week, I was in and out in 10 mins so make sure you get the sonographer to put out everything to you as she didn't for us and I felt rushed. What hospital are you going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

Best of luck everyone with scans this week!

Can imagine how disappointed you are cbyrd, hopefully the diet will be nothing drastic.

Catmelodeon congrats on the scan. It's such a relief!

Avril123 wrote: »
    Good Luck, I had my 21 week scan last week, I was in and out in 10 mins so make sure you get the sonographer to put out everything to you as she didn't for us and I felt rushed. What hospital are you going to?

Yeah, it's your thread that's sticking in my mind Avril, I'm so glad you posted it because I'm prepared for it to be quick now, I'd have been like a bull if I hadn't a warning and was in and out in 10 mins. I'm going to Holles Street too. Were you waiting long to be seen?

Yeah, it's your thread that's sticking in my mind Avril, I'm so glad you posted it because I'm prepared for it to be quick now, I'd have been like a bull if I hadn't a warning and was in and out in 10 mins. I'm going to Holles Street too. Were you waiting long to be seen?

No we got there about 20 mins early and were seen on time, Id go a good few mins before you appointment just in case and we were out so quick as well, I honestly thought we'd be in there for hours waiting, All the best for today, ae you going to find out the gender? When are you due? Let me know how you get on,

• Advertisement

I see what you mean about the sonographer...she's very matter of fact isn't she? :eek::D She seemed very thorough though, everything's fine..just a low lying placenta, so will get rescanned at 34 weeks, if it's moved it's moved, if it hasn't it hasn't, it doesn't really phase me.

Baby was gorgeous.. kicking about...and we didn't have to ask the sex...when she showed us the little butt we could see the little dongle flayling about :D

I see what you mean about the sonographer...she's very matter of fact isn't she? :eek::D She seemed very thorough though, everything's fine..just a low lying placenta, so will get rescanned at 34 weeks, if it's moved it's moved, if it hasn't it hasn't, it doesn't really phase me.

Baby was gorgeous.. kicking about...and we didn't have to ask the sex...when she showed us the little butt we could see the little dongle flayling about :D

Thats great!! Delighted for you, my placenta is up high so hardly feel the baby kick which freaks me out as I worry too much and would love to feel it more, at least you get another scan I dont apparently so might ask for a quick scan when I am in with the doc in July so fingers crossed Ill get a quick one, what date are you due? Congrats a boy, thats great, I dont think we are going to find out the sex, my boyfriend thinks its a girl and I think its a boy so at least one of us will be right :D

Thats great!! Delighted for you, my placenta is up high so hardly feel the baby kick which freaks me out as I worry too much and would love to feel it more, at least you get another scan I dont apparently so might ask for a quick scan when I am in with the doc in July so fingers crossed Ill get a quick one, what date are you due? Congrats a boy, thats great, I dont think we are going to find out the sex, my boyfriend thinks its a girl and I think its a boy so at least one of us will be right :D

It actually explains a lot because I felt kicks very early and they were very strong. I know you're supposed to feel them earlier on your second anyhow, but this was like 16/17 weeks, or something ridiculous like that. I can feel EVERYTHING...baby turns or moves and I feel it. I kind of feel like it's not very well protected or something though, like it's missing an extra bit of cushion...silly I know :rolleyes::D

I'm due the 29th October, when are you due? They have the little scanning machines in the outpatients don't they? Ask them if you can have a quick look while you're there...you never know.

Haahaa have you got any names picked out?

It actually explains a lot because I felt kicks very early and they were very strong. I know you're supposed to feel them earlier on your second anyhow, but this was like 16/17 weeks, or something ridiculous like that. I can feel EVERYTHING...baby turns or moves and I feel it. I kind of feel like it's not very well protected or something though, like it's missing an extra bit of cushion...silly I know :rolleyes::D

I'm due the 29th October, when are you due? They have the little scanning machines in the outpatients don't they? Ask them if you can have a quick look while you're there...you never know.

Haahaa have you got any names picked out?

I would love to feel more, Im going to the docs today cos I am so worried my poor boyfriend keeps on saying dont worry but thats easier said then done :) Thats great i am due on Oct 27th!! :cool: No names yet but we did buy a name book the other day and Ive picked out 2 girls names from the whole thing...2!!! Don't really like the names I have picked anyway so will defo be picking again, have you picked out any yet?

I would love to feel more, Im going to the docs today cos I am so worried my poor boyfriend keeps on saying dont worry but thats easier said then done :) Thats great i am due on Oct 27th!! :cool: No names yet but we did buy a name book the other day and Ive picked out 2 girls names from the whole thing...2!!! Don't really like the names I have picked anyway so will defo be picking again, have you picked out any yet?

Aww, if it's stressing you out definitely go. Even if you don't get a scan, they'll check for a heartbeat, so that should put your mind at ease. Babies...they have us a nervous wreck before they're even born ;)

That's hilarious, you're only 2 days before me, wouldn't it be funny if we were in at the same time. When you're in the ward shout out 'Hannibal Smith' and see what happens :D

Girls names are impossible! I'm kind of relieved it's a boy because we were so busy trying to find an obscure name she would have ended up with a ridiculous name :D We have Hugh at the moment, but it's subject to change :D

Aww, if it's stressing you out definitely go. Even if you don't get a scan, they'll check for a heartbeat, so that should put your mind at ease. Babies...they have us a nervous wreck before they're even born ;)

That's hilarious, you're only 2 days before me, wouldn't it be funny if we were in at the same time. When you're in the ward shout out 'Hannibal Smith' and see what happens :D

Girls names are impossible! I'm kind of relieved it's a boy because we were so busy trying to find an obscure name she would have ended up with a ridiculous name :D We have Hugh at the moment, but it's subject to change :D

haha thats the first thing I'll do, feck the pain ill shout out Hannibal smith people will prob think im bonkers but will prob think its my hormones lol!!! :) Just back from the docs and he checked the heartbeat and I got to listen to it on his scope thing, took me a while to hear it but he said you have to listen very carefully and you can hear it in the far background and did and I was so happy!!! I am a wreck, i worry about everything I can't wait until the baby is old enough so I can tell him or her how nervous they made me haha !! Hugh is a lovely name,Im still deciding to find out the sex or not cos It would make it that bit easier to pik out a name lol

haha thats the first thing I'll do, feck the pain ill shout out Hannibal smith people will prob think im bonkers but will prob think its my hormones lol!!! :) Just back from the docs and he checked the heartbeat and I got to listen to it on his scope thing, took me a while to hear it but he said you have to listen very carefully and you can hear it in the far background and did and I was so happy!!! I am a wreck, i worry about everything I can't wait until the baby is old enough so I can tell him or her how nervous they made me haha !! Hugh is a lovely name,Im still deciding to find out the sex or not cos It would make it that bit easier to pik out a name lol

aww brilliant...so that's your mind set at ease, for another few hours at least ;)

Well if your survived the 20 week scan without asking, I think you should keep it a surprise. We haven't told any of the family or anything that it's a boy, so we'll still get plenty of yellow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

hey, i posted this in another place but said i would do it here too as you guys are further along and id like your opinions please!!!

a quick question. due to pains early on and brown discharge on and off ive had 3 scans and was offered another one for this thur just to make sure and to thoroughly check everything. i am due my normal one on the 8th of july. i am really nervous. i am 11 weeks 4 days today and worried that so many scans could somehow hurt the baby. but i couldnt take the risk of not having it in case it could tell that something is wrong. just looking for peoples views. hope everything is still ok. i was fine until they offered the scan.never been as worried in my life. i just want everythin to be ok!

hey, i posted this in another place but said i would do it here too as you guys are further along and id like your opinions please!!!

a quick question. due to pains early on and brown discharge on and off ive had 3 scans and was offered another one for this thur just to make sure and to thoroughly check everything. i am due my normal one on the 8th of july. i am really nervous. i am 11 weeks 4 days today and worried that so many scans could somehow hurt the baby. but i couldnt take the risk of not having it in case it could tell that something is wrong. just looking for peoples views. hope everything is still ok. i was fine until they offered the scan.never been as worried in my life. i just want everythin to be ok!

I don't know about scans hurting the baby, I've never heard of that, but I'm not medical expert. But in the early days, I would have had a scan every day if they offered me one :D, it's such a long worrying 12 weeks. Have you had normal tummy scans before this? I wonder if they want to do a vaginal scan this time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Fraggle, it's best if you discuss this with your consultant as there are very different views on it and the necessity of having scans will depend on your personal circumstances. If you look up research on the subject, you'll get many diverging opinions.

I had a number of scans in late pregnancy due to going overdue, having high blood pressure and a concern over fluid levels. The scans put my mind at ease that baby was okay and meant that we were able to avoid other interventions like early induction which are known to have an adverse affect on maternal and infant health. For me, that was worth any unknown risk associated with scans. For you, in early pregnancy, the reasons for or advantages of having a scan may differ. Your doctor should be able to advise you better than anyone here.

Advertisement