Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Please read the charter in relation to mentioning other parenting sites. People come to boards.ie for advice and they get the advice they need here, no need to redirect them to another site to get that information/advice.
    deecee1 wrote: »
    pretty comprehensive list on <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deecee1

Sorry won't happen again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 BroodyAllen

Hi all, seems like my symptoms were in fact not in my head as I just got my positive test this morning :D My question is, is it too soon to go to my GP, or is there any point in waiting a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Hi all, seems like my symptoms were in fact not in my head as I just got my positive test this morning :D My question is, is it too soon to go to my GP, or is there any point in waiting a while?

Huge congrats! We went to my doc as soon as possible but all she did was make me do another pregnancy test and give me a quick chat and send me on my way so didn't get any sort of proper appointment until the 3 month mark with the Rotunda!

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Huge congrats! We went to my doc as soon as possible but all she did was make me do another pregnancy test and give me a quick chat and send me on my way so didn't get any sort of proper appointment until the 3 month mark with the Rotunda!

This ^^ If you do go to your GP, don't be disheartened if they're not exactly as enthusiastic about the pregnancy as you are. Unfortunately there's not a lot they can do at this early stage except confirm the pregnancy (some don't even do this any longer as the home tests are a lot more sensitive than the doctors ones). You do not need the doc to refer you to hospital, you can do that yourself. They can fill in the combined care forms and send them off for you though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

January wrote: »
    This ^^ If you do go to your GP, don't be disheartened if they're not exactly as enthusiastic about the pregnancy as you are. Unfortunately there's not a lot they can do at this early stage except confirm the pregnancy (some don't even do this any longer as the home tests are a lot more sensitive than the doctors ones). You do not need the doc to refer you to hospital, you can do that yourself. They can fill in the combined care forms and send them off for you though.

Definitely! As it was our first pregnancy we were a bit stunned we were left for a couple of months to just sit and wait before we got seen but I understand the way things go! What I would say is when you decide on which hospital you're going for ring and book for the 3 month mark as we didn't do this so we had to wait longer than that cause there was no appointments free! Congrats again!

Definitely! As it was our first pregnancy we were a bit stunned we were left for a couple of months to just sit and wait before we got seen but I understand the way things go! What I would say is when you decide on which hospital you're going for ring and book for the 3 month mark as we didn't do this so we had to wait longer than that cause there was no appointments free! Congrats again!

Definitely ring and book your hospital asap!

I don't do combined care, my doc is useless, told me I wasn't actually pregnant on my first and good luck trying the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Great news, congratulations. :)

I went to my GP about 5 days after getting my (well ok 4) positive results on my home tests. He was lovely about it, chatted about what hospital I wanted to attend, levels of cover and gave me a referral letter and that was it. I opted for semi private at the Coombe and had to wait until I was 13 weeks for my first appointment. It felt like forever to get there but I was distracted by my tiredness and nausea so that helped:):p

Yep, this was my experience too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Don't be surprised at anything with GP oI got loads of positive tests and the nurse kept throwing away the tests after 10 seconds once one line showed up. Took 3 weeks to have it confirmed and that was because I got annoyed and brought digital in with me to do there in front of her. She wasn't happy but I was in limbo

I have a little query that any of you who have done the combined care route might be able to help me out with.
    I've had my first appointment at the Coombe with the midwife last week. I see the consultant next Monday. I am booked in for my 20-22 week scan too so thats all sorted.
    Do I have an appointment with my GP between the consultant one next week and the 20-22 week scan at the end of May? If so am I advised as to when I should make it or does someone (seriously doubt this though) make it for me or what happens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deecee1

The docs usually advise when to see the G.P. but my appt with the g.p were at 16, 24 and 28 weeks. The hospital in cork was then at 12, 20, 32, 36 and 40. But i do know each hospital varies with their appointments. You make your g.p appointments yourself. Just ask when you've your consultant appointment next week.

Schedule of Visits

4 to 8 weeks- Initial visit with G.P.
    Week 12 to 20 Hospital Visit for booking visit scans and bloods
    Week 24 G.P.
    Week 28 G.P. (Hospital if first pregnancy)
    Week 30 G.P.
    Week 32 Hospital
    Week 34 G.P.
    Week 36 Hospital
    Week 37 G.P.
    Week 38 Hospital
    Week 39 G.P.
    Week 40 Hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Schedule of Visits

4 to 8 weeks- Initial visit with G.P.
    Week 12 to 20 Hospital Visit for booking visit scans and bloods
    Week 24 G.P.
    Week 28 G.P. (Hospital if first pregnancy)
    Week 30 G.P.
    Week 32 Hospital
    Week 34 G.P.
    Week 36 Hospital
    Week 37 G.P.
    Week 38 Hospital
    Week 39 G.P.
    Week 40 Hospital

Pretty much exactly how my combined care is going!

BTW, your appointment for your scan in the Coombe between 20-22 weeks is just that, a scan. You don't stay to see the consultant or anything after it. They'll have your file in the ultrasound department if you haven't kept it yourself so no need to queue at outpatients for it.

BTW, your appointment for your scan in the Coombe between 20-22 weeks is just that, a scan. You don't stay to see the consultant or anything after it. They'll have your file in the ultrasound department if you haven't kept it yourself so no need to queue at outpatients for it.

Thats great, thanks for the heads up. I was offered a nice evening time appointment so my husband can come too without having to ask for time off work.
    The hospital has my file, I thought I'd be expected to keep it but they're holding onto it which is fine with me.

Thats great, thanks for the heads up. I was offered a nice evening time appointment so my husband can come too without having to ask for time off work.
    The hospital has my file, I thought I'd be expected to keep it but they're holding onto it which is fine with me.

Hospital always held my file too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 BroodyAllen

Thanks everyone. Well I'm back from the GP, she was great! I'm going to go public with combined care. She basically said the tests are sensitive enough that she didn't need to do another. She checked my urine and blood pressure and gave me a letter to bring with me to the hospital. I rang them and made my appointment for my first booking visit and all. Can you tell I'm keen :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Another to add to the pot.

Got BFP about four days ago.

This isn't my first rodeo but my youngest is nearly three and this will be the last so excited and looking fwd to hopefully having a healthy, happy pregnancy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had SUCH a lovely day yesterday! Had Baby Merkin's 25-week scan which I was looking forward to (so that I could get a look at the little chap) but also slightly apprehensive. Well I had no reason to worry - he is GORGEOUS! The average weight for his age is 660g and the little bruiser is 2lbs already! At 25 weeks! The team said he's going to be a big boy so no wonder my bump has grown exponentially of late. He is ahead developmentally on everything and he's growing big and strong (I'm sure he'll be called to the Leinster rugby squad - after he finishes his doctorate in astrophysics OBVIOUSLY....lol :D). They also discovered his little cleft lip is unilateral as opposed to bilateral which they suspected originally which is good so he'll have a little Elvis lip when he arrives and it will effect his little palate but the prognosis is very good. During the scan he got a little bout of hiccups as well - it was adorable to see his full little tummy heave up and down after his lunch!

I'm really enjoying this part of the pregnancy. I've got some niggles like carpal tunnel and periodic backache etc but overall it's been wonderful. The little fellow is so busy and the movement from him no longer feels like flutters, they are very defined and enthusiastic kicks and digs and nudges. :) He got VERY excited on Grand National Day last week. Both Mr. Merkin and I decided we would have a flutter which was hilarious. We bought the newspaper where there was quite a comprehensive run-down on all the horses and jockeys and Mr. Merkin read out the form of each horse to bump and asked Baby Merkin to kick once for no and twice for yes..........I had to remind him that our baby is NOT Dave the Octopus :D

We have a 4D scan at about 29 weeks so am already excited about that. My last scan was at 21 weeks and it's spell-binding to see how quickly they grow in such a short space of time.

I'm so smitten :)

Merkin wrote: »
    Had SUCH a lovely day yesterday! Had Baby Merkin's 25-week scan which I was looking forward to (so that I could get a look at the little chap) but also slightly apprehensive. Well I had no reason to worry - he is GORGEOUS! The average weight for his age is 660g and the little bruiser is 2lbs already! At 25 weeks! The team said he's going to be a big boy so no wonder my bump has grown exponentially of late. He is ahead developmentally on everything and he's growing big and strong (I'm sure he'll be called to the Leinster rugby squad - after he finishes his doctorate in astrophysics OBVIOUSLY....lol :D). They also discovered his little cleft lip is unilateral as opposed to bilateral which they suspected originally which is good so he'll have a little Elvis lip when he arrives and it will effect his little palate but the prognosis is very good. During the scan he got a little bout of hiccups as well - it was adorable to see his full little tummy heave up and down after his lunch!

I'm really enjoying this part of the pregnancy. I've got some niggles like carpal tunnel and periodic backache etc but overall it's been wonderful. The little fellow is so busy and the movement from him no longer feels like flutters, they are very defined and enthusiastic kicks and digs and nudges. :) He got VERY excited on Grand National Day last week. Both Mr. Merkin and I decided we would have a flutter which was hilarious. We bought the newspaper where there was quite a comprehensive run-down on all the horses and jockeys and Mr. Merkin read out the form of each horse to bump and asked Baby Merkin to kick once for no and twice for yes..........I had to remind him that our baby is NOT Dave the Octopus :D

We have a 4D scan at about 29 weeks so am already excited about that. My last scan was at 21 weeks and it's spell-binding to see how quickly they grow in such a short space of time.

I'm so smitten :)

Such a lovely post :)

• Advertisement

Aw thank you very much sittingpretty, it's from the heart I can assure you, I'm mad about the little fellow! :)

I know you've just found out your pregnant so you must be beside yourself with excitement. Enjoy every moment xx

Aw thank you very much sittingpretty, it's from the heart I can assure you, I'm mad about the little fellow! :)

I know you've just found out your pregnant so you must be beside yourself with excitement. Enjoy every moment xx

Yep and I am, it's not my first so the excitement is there but it's a little different :)

Enjoy every minute of it x

You can feel the excitement in your post Merkin :) Can't wait until little Merkin is here for you.

Aw thanks very much January, I am VERY excited! So curious to see what he looks like and what kind of little personality he has and what his little likes and dislikes are you, you know! It's very exciting. :)

I have a question around the very confusing topic of bedding! Excuse my cluelessness but what do people recommend for newborns? If baby Merkin is a big boy I'm not so sure about a Moses basket (given that my nephew grew out of his in about two weeks!)

So I was thinking of one of these. http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-chicco-next2me-crib-dove-grey/475120600/type-i/ Does anyone have something similar? Or would we better getting a cot from when he is small? Or should we get a crib and then graduate on to a cot? I'd like something that I could also have for downstairs so he could have a little nap there. Is there a little sturdy carry cot type thing I could get also?

Any recommendations for bedding for the various stages of babyhood would be great as I'm a little bit at sea in this regard - cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Aw thanks very much January, I am VERY excited! So curious to see what he looks like and what kind of little personality he has and what his little likes and dislikes are you, you know! It's very exciting. :)

I have a question around the very confusing topic of bedding! Excuse my cluelessness but what do people recommend for newborns? If baby Merkin is a big boy I'm not so sure about a Moses basket (given that my nephew grew out of his in about two weeks!)

So I was thinking of one of these. http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-chicco-next2me-crib-dove-grey/475120600/type-i/ Does anyone have something similar? Or would we better getting a cot from when he is small? Or should we get a crib and then graduate on to a cot? I'd like something that I could also have for downstairs so he could have a little nap there. Is there a little sturdy carry cot type thing I could get also?

Any recommendations for bedding for the various stages of babyhood would be great as I'm a little bit at sea in this regard - cheers!

Hi Hun, so glad the scan went well :). Regarding sleeping arrangements, what kind of travel system are you thinking of getting? If you are gettin one with a basinette LO could sleep in it instead of having to buy a Moses basket or crib for downstairs etc...

Aw thanks so much, we're delighted!

A travel system you say?! I haven't even looked into one so I take it a little carry cot thing is part of that? That sounds like the perfect multifunctional solution, and I am sure you can get little stands for the cot part so it can be used as a Moses basket type of thing also? Have you got any recommendations for one you've used/have heard good things about?

Aw thanks so much, we're delighted!

A travel system you say?! I haven't even looked into one so I take it a little carry cot thing is part of that? That sounds like the perfect multifunctional solution, and I am sure you can get little stands for the cot part so it can be used as a Moses basket type of thing also? Have you got any recommendations for one you've used/have heard good things about?

Well when we just had the one baby we bought a bugaboo. Not the cheapest but The basinettes are a decent size and lasted our fella 4-5 months (he was a big fella aswell). We had a Moses aswell but the carry cots are just as good. It then converts to a stroller which can be used up until around 4years old (i think). You prob wouldn't even need to get a stand. Just wheel the pram around downstairs wherever you want it to be. Or you can detach the carry cot to bring it upstairs. The bugaboos are ok for overnight sleeping aswell.

There are loads of other travel systems that have carry cots aswell (if you want a carry cot). Baby jogger, quinny, icandy, so many others. Some of the carry cots can't be used for overnight sleeping but are grand for napping. :)

Lolers, this just goes to show you laid back and clueless I am. :o I had noooooo idea what you meant by a travel system (I had presumed something you put in the car) but we actually have one with all those bits and pieces thankfully! My brother and his lovely wife spent nearly a grand on a brand new Quinny to have as a spare which they didn't actually use and they have very kindly just given it to us! I'm delighted! We'll be collecting it when we're in Ireland for Easter and I think it comes with all those types of bells and whistles you mention. That's wonderful! I'll have a look to see how big the bassinette is, would be great if that could do the little man until he is ready for a cot!

I really should get some type of list together. I've gone mad buying gorgeous little outfits and grobags from lovely little boutiques and cute shops and that's great but I should probably start thinking about the child's most basic requirements first! Thanks for the advice! x

He's gonna look lovely in all his new gear! :). The Quinny is perfect for napping but from what I can remember not for overnight sleeping. I think the carrycot is slightly smaller but should defo last around the 3 month mark!

• Advertisement

Brilliant Sligo thanks, I really should get some kind of little list together!

Advertisement