Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I didn't have any on the 3 of them but on my hospital notes the last 2 labours are marked down as 32 and 34 minutes.
    My 1st labour was long ,think it was 2 1/2 hours;)
    I found the 2nd terrifying tbh it was too intense and I had no idea it would be over quickly,I was in shock after. The 3rd I looked at the clock and it was half past and I knew I would be holding him within the 30 minutes.

Jasus moonbeam, I'll be praying for one as quick as that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Jasus moonbeam, I'll be praying for one as quick as that!

Me too IF I ever go again (which I swore I wouldn't)! Moonbeam you are so lucky. I had 22 hours of pure torture no pain relief not even gas and air so I told them If I ever have another I want everything waiting for me please epidural the works! In fact I would take that anaesthetic that puts you asleep lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Congrats lady's. Hoping I'm joining soon. Am 37 weeks this week and back to no sleep like at the end with my little fella hoping this goes quick for me this time. First was an hour 40 mins labour with no pain relief so same again would be great. And no stitches either

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

I'm 13 + 5 (yay!) and the last two days my hip has been very sore. Standing up, especially after lying down, is becoming a struggle. Could this be pregnancy related at only 14 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Isolt wrote: »
    I'm 13 + 5 (yay!) and the last two days my hip has been very sore. Standing up, especially after lying down, is becoming a struggle. Could this be pregnancy related at only 14 weeks?

It could well be. I'm 13 weeks today and have had SPD off and on since week 9. :( I've been getting acupuncture for it and its helped loads.

• Advertisement

I have to ask what might well be a silly question but as this is my first time around this particular block I need to ask it regardless.
    What happens at your first hospital appointment? My first appointment is next Tuesday and it is with the midwife. I'll have my first with the consultant on April 14th.
    I know blood samples are taken and I'm guessing urine too:confused:. Is there an internal examination or is that something much more common in the States rather than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

What hospital are you going to? I can fill you in on Holles Street!

nikpmup wrote: »
    What hospital are you going to? I can fill you in on Holles Street!

Semi private in the Coombe.

Can't help you so! I know in Holles Street it was pee in a cup, wait, history taken by midwife, wait, quick visit with doctor and a few seconds of a mini scan - that was public

nikpmup wrote: »
    Can't help you so! I know in Holles Street it was pee in a cup, wait, history taken by midwife, wait, quick visit with doctor and a few seconds of a mini scan - that was public

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Don't know how different it is but here in the UK I had an initial sit-down with the midwife who took my weight, bloods, blood pressure, urine sample and went through some questions and a general chat about everything and how I was feeling etc. I was then seen by a Consultant Obs/Gynae who did the 12-week scan and also had a chat about everything and sent me home with pictures so very thorough all in all.

You'll need a full bladder for your scan Penny so if you have a morning appointment, take along a specimen as well with you for the nurse. They arm you with the little sample bottles over here so that you're always prepared for your next appointment and it makes a big difference.

Merkin wrote: »
    Don't know how different it is but here in the UK I had an initial sit-down with the midwife who took my weight, bloods, blood pressure, urine sample and went through some questions and a general chat about everything and how I was feeling etc. I was then seen by a Consultant Obs/Gynae who did the 12-week scan and also had a chat about everything and sent me home with pictures so very thorough all in all.

You'll need a full bladder for your scan Penny so if you have a morning appointment, take along a specimen as well with you for the nurse. They arm you with the little sample bottles over here so that you're always prepared for your next appointment and it makes a big difference.

Thanks for the reply. My appointmetn is at 1.30pm so I was thinking of collecting a urine sample in the morning and bringing it with me. It would be taken before I eat and so be a purer sample than something they'd get at lunchtime.
    I was also planning on getting there early enough (parking can be a pain I know from when I visited my sister after she had her babies there) and taking up residence in the canteen where I could drink all of my water. That way I wouldn't be driving with a full baladder and cursing every bump I went over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No internal exam this early in the pregnancy, no need for it :)

Thanks for the reply. My appointmetn is at 1.30pm so I was thinking of collecting a urine sample in the morning and bringing it with me. It would be taken before I eat and so be a purer sample than something they'd get at lunchtime.
    I was also planning on getting there early enough (parking can be a pain I know from when I visited my sister after she had her babies there) and taking up residence in the canteen where I could drink all of my water. That way I wouldn't be driving with a full baladder and cursing every bump I went over.

We're half an hour from the hospital and the midwife had said empty my bladder before leaving the house and just bring a litre bottle of water and sip on that so you only begin to feel full on arrival rather than carting around a full bladder - ouch!!! No need to put yourself though hours of wanting to burst! Yes, bring the sample with you, it makes all the difference rather than having to give a sample and then fill up again!

January wrote: »
    No internal exam this early in the pregnancy, no need for it :)

:) I thought that they weren't as common here all right. In the States they seem to do them at almost every appointment. :confused::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

:) I thought that they weren't as common here all right. In the States they seem to do them at almost every appointment. :confused::(

Yea internals wouldn't be common here unless medically indicated. Doing something like an internal has a risk of infection associated with it so they try and stay clear. I didnt have any internals on number one until I was in labour to check if I was in labour or not. This time I had an internal as I was a couple days overdue and consultant wanted to see if my cervix was thinning. Internals can also stimulate contractions in the later stages.

We're half an hour from the hospital and the midwife had said empty my bladder before leaving the house and just bring a litre bottle of water and sip on that so you only begin to feel full on arrival rather than carting around a full bladder - ouch!!! No need to put yourself though hours of wanting to burst! Yes, bring the sample with you, it makes all the difference rather than having to give a sample and then fill up again!

About 8 or so years ago I had a really really bad pain in my abdomen for a day or so and went to see my GP about it. She referred me for an ultrasound as there was a history of cysts in the family. I had it done in the Bons in Glasnevin and they told me I should drink a pint or two of water before hand as a full bladder was necessary.
    All simple and straight forward or so you'd think. :o
    I drink a lot of water all of the time anyway and 2 pints was nothing to me so I only half listened and decided on the morning of the scan that it must have been 2 litres of water they meant.
    So I didn't pee when I woke up and drank 2 litres of water before the scan - one at home, the other in a bottle on the way to the hospital.
    When I got there I could hardly walk, I was moving like a crab. Told the lady at check in how much I had to drink and she burst out laughing and said I couldn't be serious.
    I assured her that I was indeed very serious and they did the scan immediately. The doctor walked into the room with a dirty big grin on his face and congratulated me on my nice full bladder.
    Anyway scan was done and was clear thankfully. By the time of struggled off the table the nurse was holding the door to the bathroom open for me.
    :D:D

Lesson learned- read and re read and always listen to what you're told to do or not do.
    I must have peed about 20 times before lunch that day. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

In light of the statistics released via AIMS this week relating to interventions for first-time mothers I came across two really lovely pieces on the 42 weeks site about Self-Advocacy (how to ask for the birth experience you want) and No Thank You - a Guide to Informed Decision making. Great pieces, knowledge is power!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Jerrica wrote: »
    In light of the statistics released via AIMS this week relating to interventions for first-time mothers I came across two really lovely pieces on the 42 weeks site about Self-Advocacy (how to ask for the birth experience you want) and No Thank You - a Guide to Informed Decision making. Great pieces, knowledge is power!

One piece of advice is to get your partner or whomever will be there at the birth to get fully on board with your preferences and speak up accordingly. I was very, very glad I did this because you can be very emotional and easily railroaded during the whole pregnancy and childbirth process - and decisions can be presented to you as pretty much a fait accompli. Most decisions don't need to be made immediately, so make sure your partner knows this too and isn't used against you to make you agree to something you're not happy about. Second time around I was much firmer with medical staff and I had a happier experience all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

So when do you usually start feeling the baby moving? The books all say 18-22 weeks for first timers but my aunt said she started to become aware of both her babies movements around 15 weeks, which is much earlier than what the books say.
    I am 14+3 and am soooooo excited to feel the baby move!! :)

• Advertisement

I first felt it at 17 weeks

I felt baby Merkin at 13 + 6 and I'll never forget it, best feeling ever! :)

13 weeks with you first and 15 with my second.
    I've learned that the books are a general guide line as I was always different to what they said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I didn't feel anything till maybe 21/22 weeks, and even then the movements were few and far between for the whole pregnancy (anterior placenta.) He was absolutely fine though. In all the scans I had, he was kicking away like mad, he tended to direct all his kicks into the placenta though so I could never feel him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

19 weeks - with hindsight I could feel her earlier, I just thought it was wind :D

Absolutely bawling at One Born Every Minute...

Which one you watching? I watched one today and it killed me, its a repeat though.

January wrote: »
    Absolutely bawling at One Born Every Minute...

Mr.Merkin had to leave the room and I've elegantly got snot running down my nose from crying so much. Those poor people and their beautiful little son, seeing him struggle like that is just heartbreaking.

Which one you watching? I watched one today and it killed me, its a repeat though.

Baby Conan with the lung and kidney problems, it's on Channel 4 at the moment.

• Advertisement

Mr.Merkin had to leave the room and I've elegantly got snot running down my nose from crying so much. Those poor people and their beautiful little son, seeing him struggle like that is just heartbreaking.

My partners sitting across the room quietly crying too. I really hope he pulls through. Such a gorgeous little boy.

Advertisement