Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick to the back teeth of Soccer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

FIFA - Fédération Internationale de Football Association (International Federation of Association Football)

That's an international federation. Basically the correct term is football, not soccer. Soccer is just a slang term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭dmigsy

**** the haters! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Nightwish wrote:
    Must say I am an avid football hater also. I cannot stand the blanket coverage of it at weekends, especially on newstalk. I hate how it takes over tv midweek also. I do not see how 22 overpaid "pretty boys" running around after a football is in anyway exciting.

They're not all pretty.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I guess the broad coverage football receives would be irritating for those who are unable to appreciate it. Labelling the masses who can as morons makes one feel less insecure I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

If you're not interested in football it's pretty easy to ignore really.. I don't follow it at all and I've no idea what's going on in the sport. I think the last bit of football I watched was this clip were one guy headbutted another guy, it was funny. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

bogball probably

look its like this

theres de hurling, de gaah and de sawcar. You have to say sawcar like it tastes bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Football/soccer is a good sport, no doubt about it (not a patch on rugby though!)

The fault lies not with the sport but the bloody press rip the arse out of it. Back 4 pages of papers dedicated to it. Pure sensationalism surrounds it all the time with fueds between managers and players who dive etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm with Degsy on this one.

Over paid prima-donnas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Im with you too Degsy. Soccer players are not real men. Not like weight-lifters who rub baby oil on themselves and pose.
    Steroid bods Ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Soccer isn't an American word.

In fact it has it's origins back in the day when it and Rugby were the same sport.

They diverged, and the sport that was played under the rules in the schools that wasn't Rugby was called Association Football, or Soccer, for short. The game that was played in the Rugby School was called Rugby Football, or Rugger for short.

Meh, people don't like it, so bleedin' what.

I live it. And I love it.

I support my local team, Shelbourne, I go to matches week-in week-out, home and away when I can get the time off work (about a third of the away games), I work for the club, I own part of my club (see the link in my sig with the three castles in it).

I also manage Boardeaux, boards.ie's very own Soccer team, I'm one of the founder members of that.

I'm a qualified referee and have been in charge of games involving players as young as 11, up to 16, with screaming mental parents on the sidelines.

I don't understand people who don't like football, or Soccer, but each to their own.

In other news, the Irish Special Olympic Soccer team won gold at the Olympics.

(if you can't read that link log out, it's a link into the soccer forum):)

eta: I call Gaelic Football, simply Gaelic. fwiw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Gaelic football should clearly be called Gaelic, GAA, or Bogball. Just like Hurling is Fighting Sticks.

Please don't link to a video of the Special Olympics. I may collapse.

Back on topic:
    Where's the coverage of female masturbation I mentioned earlier?
    Enough with this discussion of neanderthal homosexual running-round-after-the-spheroid. What about the important topic at hand? Do we want to see separate events for fingers only and object-assisted? Should object assisted be broken down into disciplines according to size or exotic nature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

RobAMerc wrote:
    hi,

I am in the humor for a bit of a rant so so here goes.

Is anyone else sick to death of hearing about, and seeing soccer all over the place ?
    I mean - I am happy to have the channels broadcast results but soccer seems to be taking over all media.
    I am particularly sick to death of hearing about English club soccer.
    It absolutely galls me that the first thing out of the sports news reporters mouth every day is always something about English club soccer - even if an IRISH sports person in some other sport is doing well in a world event, soccer is even first when the "news" might be something as mundane as a 3rd rate managers name has been linked to a 4th rate team.They barely mention our own soccer league at all either.

I know I can turn it off but am I being unreasonable in asking that I am not barraged with soccer every time I turn the TV or radio on ?

I totally agree with you about the annoying saturation-level coverage of English soccer here.

I just can't get my head around the fanaticism/odd sense of loyalty Irish lads have with English (premiership etc) clubs.
    WTF is that all about- Fair enough if they have some real affiliation with the club through family etc in England but any professed loyalty surely is spurious at best.

If asked i suspect most started following a particular English club when they were in primary school because they liked the strip or something.

Also the juxtaposing of such fanaticism with a revulsion of English national football makes the mind boggle TBH.

The only possible conclusion i can draw from it is that the Eircom league/Irish soccer must be really sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

dmigsy wrote:
    **** the haters! :p
    And vaseline for all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

DesF wrote:
    Soccer isn't an American word.

In fact it has it's origins back in the day when it and Rugby were the same sport.

They diverged, and the sport that was played under the rules in the schools that wasn't Rugby was called Association Football, or Soccer, for short. The game that was played in the Rugby School was called Rugby Football, or Rugger for short.

Meh, people don't like it, so bleedin' what.

I live it. And I love it.

I support my local team, Shelbourne, I go to matches week-in week-out, home and away when I can get the time off work (about a third of the away games), I work for the club, I own part of my club (see the link in my sig with the three castles in it).

I also manage Boardeaux, boards.ie's very own Soccer team, I'm one of the founder members of that.

I'm a qualified referee and have been in charge of games involving players as young as 11, up to 16, with screaming mental parents on the sidelines.

I don't understand people who don't like football, or Soccer, but each to their own.

In other news, the Irish Special Olympic Soccer team won gold at the Olympics.

(if you can't read that link log out, it's a link into the soccer forum):)

eta: I call Gaelic Football, simply Gaelic. fwiw

Jeesus..reading that nearly had me asleep..till i got to the bit about the special olympics lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Degsy wrote:
    Jeesus..reading that nearly had me asleep..till i got to the bit about the special olympics lol!
    Another vicious hook! I applaud you sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

daveirl wrote:
    Since I was a kid Gaelic Football was always called GAA (ga) and Hurling was just Hurling and Soccer was called Football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Nightwish wrote:
    Of course I've hobbies and interests, but they don't take over tv and radio coverage 3-4 days a week for 9 months of the year.

I find two hours of poorly acted "soaps" on TV 6 days a week 12 months a year incredibly irritating, but I don't go on boards giving out about it.

Oh, apart from just now.

daveirl wrote:
    And you're from that county where everybody has a chip on their shoulder?

daveirl wrote:
    It's because it's the Capital

• Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭event

daveirl wrote:

eh no.

ive always called it football, and id say most of its supporters do too. Its people that dont follow it that call it soccer
    daveirl wrote:

just call it gaelic

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Degsy wrote:
    Soccer is complete idiocy.Imbeciles sitting in pubs,grossly oeverweight bullshiiting on about "we beat you" or "you beat us".If most of these halfwits were to take a running kick at a ball they'd collapse with instant heart failure.Then there's the idiots who have nothing better to talk about amongst each other than to crap on about "the match" last night.People who cant string two words together become verbose pundits on the subject of football.I hate it and everything to do with it.

Typical attitude of people who think people who support soccer are lower class and therefore stupid. I'm a massive football fan, currently doing a masters in the London School of Economics. There were football tryouts here a while ago, just tryouts, not people who support it. About 400 people showed up in a college with about 4000 guys. Cambridge and Oxford have more people playing.

As mike says,
    Labelling the masses who can as morons makes one feel less insecure I suppose.

Wow, some fans are unfit. That's pretty much every sport ever. When people talk about politics, it's not the same? Some idiots sitting in a pub talking about stuff that in reality they know every little about, talking about how they would have done things differently to Bertie, when in reality, if they tried to do anything they did they would probably die of a heartattack from stress.

Soccer is the biggest sport in the world, hence it's coverage.
    715 million people watched the world cup final. In case you don't know, that's 10% of the world.
    Maybe all of them are stupid? Maybe all of them are poor? Or maybe, just maybe, there's something about the game that's appealing.

daveirl wrote:
    Huh? I don't even know what your point is any more. But anyway, isn't "mate" an English word? You know English, the language that we speak here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I don't mind Soccer being all over the TV as I don't watch it very often. However I will say this, it's a game of pansies who have surpassed Olympic high divers at their tecnique. Honestly, it's not even real game with people purposely tripping up when they get a ball taken from them so they can cheat by getting a free kick. No rules or regulations are brought in to combat that behaviour just shows further weakness for the organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I heard it was all fixed in annyways :)

Advertisement