Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick to the back teeth of Soccer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

humbert wrote:
    Indeed, and lets not even start on rugby! Worse excuse for men groping men since wrestling.
    I nearly caught teh ghey once after watching a scrum. The missus had to lash me down to the kitchen table and slip on the schoolgirl uniform for a bout of exotic dancing. Close one, I'm telling you.

Consider yourselves warned!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

RobAMerc wrote:
    hi,

I am in the humor for a bit of a rant so so here goes.

Is anyone else sick to death of hearing about, and seeing soccer all over the place ?
    I mean - I am happy to have the channels broadcast results but soccer seems to be taking over all media.
    I am particularly sick to death of hearing about English club soccer.
    It absolutely galls me that the first thing out of the sports news reporters mouth every day is always something about English club soccer - even if an IRISH sports person in some other sport is doing well in a world event, soccer is even first when the "news" might be something as mundane as a 3rd rate managers name has been linked to a 4th rate team.They barely mention our own soccer league at all either.

I know I can turn it off but am I being unreasonable in asking that I am not barraged with soccer every time I turn the TV or radio on ?

Soccer??? Who does this guy think he is? It's FOOTBALL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

marco_polo wrote:
    To sum up this post. "Do what ever you like, as long as I approve". :p

Correct?
    Not really, even though I like the quote :D
    I regularly go to local games but it'd be beyond me to support Man U - I've never even been to Manchester.

I've mates that support an English team because their da did, but they've never been to a proper game - just watching telly games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Degsy thats quite a generalization, a bit OTT if you ask. While it is true those people exist, its still not the majority. I like soccer, I support man utd because they're brilliant to watch, its entertaining, and I used to love seeing the Irish lads do well.

I also play soccer every weekend and have a good knowledge of the game. I don't sit in a pub all weekend watching the tv, but will watch the man utd matches if I can at home or wherever. I don't consider myself a pundit but do enjoy conversing with my mates about the game every now and then, whats the problem there? How can you hate something others enjoy, is it because you're rubbish at sport and were always the last guy picked in P.E and since then have held a grudge against the game? I'm not sure I just don't understand that sort of hate against a sport!

ScumLord wrote:
    Then people get all engorged about soccer talk like they where out on the pitch or paying these pansies with they're own hard cash to play the game for them.
    Fixed that for you.
    BaZmO* wrote:
    According to a survey conducted by FIFA published in 2001, over 240 million people from more than 200 countries regularly play football.
    Jesus thats a lot of ghey. Did anyone tell the UN?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

biko wrote:
    Not really, even though I like the quote :D
    I regularly go to local games but it'd be beyond me to support Man U - I've never even been to Manchester.

I've mates that support an English team because their da did, but they've never been to a proper game - just watching telly games.
    I know people that watch Eastenders and have never been to Albert Square! Bleedin cheek!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Irelands involvement in Italia '90 was the single biggest contributor to the Celtic Tiger. FACT!!!!

How ye sad sad people have forgotten what football has done for this country!! Ye disgust me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That's because it's not a real place! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If you want something to rant about, it's Hamilton-mania on any of the English-Speaking stations covering Formula 1.

Enough to drive you batty.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Let me tell you something, and this is FACT!

Of those 240 Million people who play football, at least 50% are poor. You know what that means? Their (potential)terrorists!

Playing football SUPPORTS TERRORISM people!!! We must end this madness and ban the sport without another days delay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

When I seen the antics of that AC Milan goalkeeper , I couldn’t help but wonder how he would have coped going up for a 50/50 ball with Tipperary’s John Doyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Wow haven't been in AH for a while but its scary how much its starting to look like stormfront every day. I can understand rants about bad drivers or people who take ages at cash machines but calling somebody an imbecile for having an interest in a sport :confused:

Although I have a feeling that this entire thread is one big pisstake and I've missed the point?

Wow haven't been in AH for a while but its scary how much its starting to look like stormfront every day.
    Yes, because disliking soccer makes you a racist.

Who likes short shorts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

Degsy wrote:
    Soccer is complete idiocy.Imbeciles sitting in pubs,grossly oeverweight bullshiiting on about "we beat you" or "you beat us".If most of these halfwits were to take a running kick at a ball they'd collapse with instant heart failure.Then there's the idiots who have nothing better to talk about amongst each other than to crap on about "the match" last night.People who cant string two words together become verbose pundits on the subject of football.I hate it and everything to do with it.

you seen just to not like any sport!!

all sport is idiotic if you think about it, but so what it's FUN!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

jebuz wrote:
    Degsy thats quite a generalization, a bit OTT if you ask. While it is true those people exist, its still not the majority. I like soccer, I support man utd because they're brilliant to watch, its entertaining, and I used to love seeing the Irish lads do well.

I also play soccer every weekend and have a good knowledge of the game. I don't sit in a pub all weekend watching the tv, but will watch the man utd matches if I can at home or wherever. I don't consider myself a pundit but do enjoy conversing with my mates about the game every now and then, whats the problem there? How can you hate something others enjoy, is it because you're rubbish at sport and were always the last guy picked in P.E and since then have held a grudge against the game? I'm not sure I just don't understand that sort of hate against a sport!

Just cant stand it,People going on about *for example* Man U as if they themselves play for the team.And why Manchester united anyway?If you're from manchester or know somebody who plays in the team i can sort of understand it but babbling on about an english football team you have nothing to do with i cant.If you think i'm crap at sports you can come and watch me lift weights some time:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭slinky

When I seen the antics of that AC Milan goalkeeper , I couldn’t help but wonder how he would have coped going up for a 50/50 ball with Tipperary’s John Doyle?
    You're seriously mistaken John Doyle never did 50-50 balls;)

Degsy wrote:
    Just cant stand it,People going on about *for example* Man U as if they themselves play for the team.And why Manchester united anyway?If you're from manchester or know somebody who plays in the team i can sort of understand it but babbling on about an english football team you have nothing to do with i cant.If you think i'm crap at sports you can come and watch me lift weights some time:p

Fair enough you don't like it, but I don't see the problem with supporting another club if you like their style, players, your da supports them, whatever. There's no rule that says you can't like a team if you're not from that town or city. If I was looking for a good exciting game of football, I know i'd pick man utd over say wexford youths, or should you only be allowed support the club where you're from? A lot of people don't seem to think so. English football is popular here for a simple reason, its so much better, the drama, the skill, the characters, the premier league has got it all! Why should we be confined to football we don't want to watch because we're from Ireland, watch whatever the hell you like I say, spanish, italian english, it doesn't matter to me. I guess people who hate football will never understand, they're not passionate about it and I don't mind that, just don't go around belittling people who do like soccer.

Oh and degsy i'd actually rather watch the eircom league than watch you lift weights, sure any old eejit can lift an iron bar ;)

jebuz wrote:
    Fair enough you don't like it, but I don't see the problem with supporting another club if you like their style, players, your da supports them, whatever. There's no rule that says you can't like a team if you're not from that town or city. If I was looking for a good exciting game of football, I know i'd pick man utd over say wexford youths, or should you only be allowed support the club where you're from? A lot of people don't seem to think so. English football is popular here for a simple reason, its so much better, the drama, the skill, the characters, the premier league has got it all! Why should we be confined to football we don't want to watch because we're from Ireland, watch whatever the hell you like I say, spanish, italian english, it doesn't matter to me. I guess people who hate football will never understand, they're not passionate about it and I don't mind that, just don't go around belittling people who do like soccer.

Oh and degsy i'd actually rather watch the eircom league than watch you lift weights, sure any old eejit can lift an iron bar ;)

Get into the theatre, it seems more of what your looking for.

Bloody peasants

Hellm0 wrote:
    Get into the theatre, it seems more of what your looking for.

Bloody peasants

I was there last week my friend, Uncle Vania in the gate, tragic stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭BeautifulLoser

Originally Posted by Degsy
    Soccer is complete idiocy.Imbeciles sitting in pubs,grossly oeverweight bullshiiting on about "we beat you" or "you beat us". If most of these halfwits were to take a running kick at a ball they'd collapse with instant heart failure.Then there's the idiots who have nothing better to talk about amongst each other than to crap on about "the match" last night.People who cant string two words together become verbose pundits on the subject of football.I hate it and everything to do with it.

I can't quite seem to get your point..

You seem unable to make the distinction between soccer and people talking about soccer.

Would you seriously begrudge a group of people in social setting marvelling at two groups of players playing a sport at its highest level?

It's baffling that you think that people unfit to play soccer should not watch it or talk about it. Should I not go to a music concert with my friends or talk about a new album because I can't play an instrument or hold a tune?

• Advertisement

jebuz wrote:
    I was there last week my friend, Uncle Vania in the gate, tragic stuff!
    touche...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

jebuz wrote:
    the drama, the skill, the characters, the premier league has got it all

So does Playboy of the western world and i dont hear people discussing THAT in pubs.I submit that maybe som epeople need to get out more or at least find something more intersting to do with t hier time than watch men with mullets gesticulating in short trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Degsy wrote:

I never understand this argument that it's OK to support a team if an accident of birth means you're originally from their area, yet it's not OK if at some point during your life you choose to support a particular team (for whatever your reason was) .

That's like saying you shouldn't lift weights because you weren't born beside a gym. Or I shouldn't drink beer because I wasn't born in, and don't know anyone who works in, a brewery. Or I shouldn't dress up in -- anyway, point made.

Degsy wrote:
    So does Playboy of the western world and i dont hear people discussing THAT in pubs.I submit that maybe som epeople need to get out more or at least find something more intersting to do with t hier time than watch men with mullets gesticulating in short trousers.

Of course the Playboy is being discussed in pubs, its currently on in the theatre! soccer will always be around to be discussed, something different happens every week like, i mean there's only so much you could talk about a play why would everyone discuss it in the pub every week. Its an awful comparison really.

What do mullets (one or two player off the top of my head) or short trousers have to do with soccer? people don't watch it for that Degsy, you seem to be completely missing the point why people watch soccer, they ENJOY it, its a social thing! simple, let them have their fun and you go do whatever you enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭event

Degsy wrote:
    If you think i'm crap at sports you can come and watch me lift weights some time:p

lol

sure thats not even a sport

a bunch of pumped up steroid heads lifting an iron bar?

oh the ironing is delicious

event wrote:
    lol

sure thats not even a sport

a bunch of pumped up steroid heads lifting an iron bar?

oh the ironing is delicious

http://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/index_uk.asp

Looks like weightlifting is on the list. Guess whats not?;)

Also
    Irony
    Irony is a literary or rhetorical device, in which there is a gap or incongruity between what a speaker or a writer says and what is generally understood

...Spell it correctly if your going to misuse the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Football is for me purely a social thing. I've moved to a new country. Quickest way to make friends? Joined a football. Lads of the same age who enjoy the same thing. There's good craic takin the piss out of each other's team,we play our own game then we have a few pints after. Where's the harm? Many a Irish dilinquent has found some solice in a sport, not just football.

As for it's exposure, well it's all about supply and demand. If a large proportion of people didn't want to know about then there'd be no coverage. Same as anything.

Hellm0 wrote:
    http://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/index_uk.asp

Looks like weightlifting is on the list. Guess whats not?;)

Also
    Irony
    Irony is a literary or rhetorical device, in which there is a gap or incongruity between what a speaker or a writer says and what is generally understood

...Spell it correctly if your going to misuse the word.

is it frisbee? Cos if you're trying to point out that soccer is not on the list, you're wrong, its just listed as football.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Double post. My bad

• Advertisement

jebuz wrote:
    is it frisbee? Cos if you're trying to point out that soccer is not on the list, you're wrong, its just listed as football.

Acually I meant gaelic, which I find downright offensive. Surely the Greeks of old partook...

Advertisement