Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick to the back teeth of Soccer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭BeautifulLoser

Originally Posted by Hellm0
    http://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/index_uk.asp

Looks like weightlifting is on the list. Guess whats not?

Well, soccer's there (aka football). Tiddlywinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Hellm0 wrote:
    Are you acually comparing football to works of art or musical masterpeices? Are you seriously sudgesting that? You should be taken out at dawn and shot like a lame horse.

There is an art to almost everything in life. There are players out there who are just as skillful at what they do as those people I mentioned were at what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

indough wrote:
    There is an art to almost everything in life. There are players out there who are just as skillful at what they do as those people I mentioned were at what they did.
    Shot at dawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Supply and demand. If the demand for it is there then the coverage is supplied. I love it. More coverage of football the better, more coverage of the premiership the better as far as i'm concerned and as far as most of my friends are concerned.
    There are plenty of other things that get a lot of coverage out there aswell that i can't stand, i just chose to ignore it.
    I wouldn't feel the need to write a complaint on a forum that there is something out there getting a lot of coverage that i pay no attention to but even so i feel annoyed by it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭event

Hellm0 wrote:
    http://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/index_uk.asp

Looks like weightlifting is on the list. Guess whats not?;)

Also
    Irony
    Irony is a literary or rhetorical device, in which there is a gap or incongruity between what a speaker or a writer says and what is generally understood

...Spell it correctly if your going to misuse the word.

oh good lord!

http://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/programme/index_uk.asp?SportCode=FB
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_Summer_Olympics

see, football is in the olympics

and also

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ironing

but it seems like a bit of humour is lost on you, dont worry about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

RobAMerc wrote:
    hi,

I am in the humor for a bit of a rant so so here goes.

Is anyone else sick to death of hearing about, and seeing soccer all over the place ?
    I mean - I am happy to have the channels broadcast results but soccer seems to be taking over all media.
    I am particularly sick to death of hearing about English club soccer.
    It absolutely galls me that the first thing out of the sports news reporters mouth every day is always something about English club soccer - even if an IRISH sports person in some other sport is doing well in a world event, soccer is even first when the "news" might be something as mundane as a 3rd rate managers name has been linked to a 4th rate team.They barely mention our own soccer league at all either.

I know I can turn it off but am I being unreasonable in asking that I am not barraged with soccer every time I turn the TV or radio on ?

Little to worry about?

OTT tbh, I have been in from work an two hours now and I haven't seen anything soccer related on TV. Hardly a barrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

RobAMerc wrote:
    Stall the digger there Degsy - I was merely commenting on the amount of coverage of the premiership

How much Premiership coverage is on non sport channels? A few highlights programmes and the news. I think Horsefumbler put it best.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

RobAMerc wrote:
    hi,

I am in the humor for a bit of a rant so so here goes.

Is anyone else sick to death of hearing about, and seeing soccer all over the place ?
    I mean - I am happy to have the channels broadcast results but soccer seems to be taking over all media.
    I am particularly sick to death of hearing about English club soccer.
    It absolutely galls me that the first thing out of the sports news reporters mouth every day is always something about English club soccer - even if an IRISH sports person in some other sport is doing well in a world event, soccer is even first when the "news" might be something as mundane as a 3rd rate managers name has been linked to a 4th rate team.They barely mention our own soccer league at all either.

I know I can turn it off but am I being unreasonable in asking that I am not barraged with soccer every time I turn the TV or radio on ?

Didn't think you got too much coverage of 'soccer' over there in America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jesus didn't realise there were so many whiners on boards...:confused:

Gotta love the people who's sole argument is that it's "just a bunch of blokes kicking a ball into a net", as if the word "just" in some way discredits whatever follows it.

It's just fingers pressing keys, it's just a brush moving over a canvas, it's just people being paid to pretend to be someone else.....

No, it's a skill which takes years of practise to develop.

If you don't like it then ignore it. As someone pointed out earlier, Madeline McCann has been all over every medium for the past 3 months. I don't even know if they've found her body yet, because I turn off the channel or turn the page if it starts discussing her. Simple.

edit:

I just flicked through 18 channels and football was on one of them (Setanta Sports).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

DaveMcG wrote:
    Jesus didn't realise there were so many whiners on boards...:confused:

Gotta love the people who's sole argument is that it's "just a bunch of blokes kicking a ball into a net", as if the word "just" in some way discredits whatever follows it.

It's just fingers pressing keys, it's just a brush moving over a canvas, it's just people being paid to pretend to be someone else.....

Anyone see Father Ted last night? Mrs Doyle talkin bout football and loads of stuff, just like that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Must say I am an avid football hater also. I cannot stand the blanket coverage of it at weekends, especially on newstalk. I hate how it takes over tv midweek also. I do not see how 22 overpaid "pretty boys" running around after a football is in anyway exciting.

Nightwish wrote:
    Must say I am an avid football hater also. I cannot stand the blanket coverage of it at weekends, especially on newstalk. I hate how it takes over tv midweek also. I do not see how 22 overpaid "pretty boys" running around after a football is in anyway exciting.
    Good for you. You got an hobbies or interests that you'd mind sharing with us? You like any sports at all?

Just curious, cos it's bound to be exciting-to-the-max and I'd like to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I'll never get sick of football, ever. If you ask me there isn't enough on to be honest. I mean i can't even watch any Italian football this season, not til i go over and watch a few games next year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

BaZmO* wrote:
    According to a survey conducted by FIFA published in 2001, over 240 million people from more than 200 countries regularly play football.

According to common sense, probably 2-3 billion women masturbate regularly. Adding to that, probably 2-3 billion men express an interest in watching them. Why don't we see more women masturbating on the news? It's clearly a huge sport all over the world, and never gets ANY coverage.

I demand more time devoted to women masturbating on mainstream TV and radio.

According to common sense, probably 2-3 billion women masturbate regularly. Adding to that, probably 2-3 billion men express an interest in watching them. Why don't we see more women masturbating on the news? It's clearly a huge sport all over the world, and never gets ANY coverage.

I demand more time devoted to women masturbating on mainstream TV and radio.

They could just put that on during the half time ad break of a football match. 5-10mins of that kind of stuff would be sufficient :D

DaveMcG wrote:
    Good for you. You got an hobbies or interests that you'd mind sharing with us? You like any sports at all?

Just curious, cos it's bound to be exciting-to-the-max and I'd like to check it out.

Of course I've hobbies and interests, but they don't take over tv and radio coverage 3-4 days a week for 9 months of the year.

3-4 days a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

DaveMcG wrote:
    You like any sports at all?
    Indeed, I find the eloquent yet frenzied ballet of the cockfight gets my blood flowing. Now theres a sport for men, not a hotpants-wearing ladyshaver-stroked leg in sight.

Indeed, I find the eloquent yet frenzied ballet of the cockfight gets my blood flowing. Now theres a sport for men, not a hotpants-wearing ladyshaver-stroked leg in sight.

I don't like the idea of watching men play with cocks, I think i'll stick to the footie

Clearly you're watching the wrong cock-fights......

http://www.mirko-crocop.com/gallery/37/cc%20bar%20(22).jpg

Nightwish, how much something is on TV has no bearing on its level of excitement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

The-Rigger wrote:
    Anyone see Father Ted last night? Mrs Doyle talkin bout football and loads of stuff, just like that. :D

First Ted episode Ive seen since the disasters in Czech/Slovakia. The sight of Dougal on the sideline with his usual jaysus whats goin on look, the resemblence to Stan was striking :D

This is crap, ffs there is only a tournament every two years that takes over the schedules. Compare that to tennis, blanket all day coverage on BBC every summer at Wimbledon. Golf is regularly all thats on during the daytime (I think, i just remember there being f all on BBC during these type of events). Over the past few weeks its come time again when people who havent got a clue about rugby go into fan mode reserved for special events.

And besides, even if you dont like football Eamo Dunphy is the most entertaining character on tv :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

indough wrote:
    I don't like the idea of watching men play with cocks, I think i'll stick to the footie
    Is that what they call it when they aren't nancing around their herbal flower gardens or getting Georgie down the salon to layer their do?
    DaveMcG wrote:
    Clearly you're watching the wrong cock-fights......
    Indeed, that is mighty, manly, and yet again greased up men wearing shorts getting the thumb in. Theres really not much more to add to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Isn't soccer an American word? I think football better describes what people call soccer as it is the sport where you mainly use your feet to control the ball (except for the keeper of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭nij

Ugh, I sympathise with the OP. In work, all they ever talk about is football. Some of them haven't 2 braincells to rub together, and are completely ignorant when it comes to just about every other topic. It was funny at first listening to them turning into these little experts every time the football talk started, but now it's just damn annoying.

indough wrote:
    3-4 days a week?

Tuesday and Wednesday (champions league) and Saturday and Sunday (premiership). Not to mention anytime internationals are on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

daveirl wrote:
    Yeah next we'll be speaking their bloody language too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Funny that all those "native codes" are mostly based English games. Just like "Rugby Football" - the originial football is football as the english understand it. Since Football is an English word, complaining that Gaelic should be called football and football should be called soccer in this country is pure Irish brilliance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

daveirl wrote:
    Ironic that all those games are mainly played with the ball in hand.

Advertisement