Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick to the back teeth of Soccer

Options
  • 10-10-2007 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

hi,

I am in the humor for a bit of a rant so so here goes.

Is anyone else sick to death of hearing about, and seeing soccer all over the place ?
    I mean - I am happy to have the channels broadcast results but soccer seems to be taking over all media.
    I am particularly sick to death of hearing about English club soccer.
    It absolutely galls me that the first thing out of the sports news reporters mouth every day is always something about English club soccer - even if an IRISH sports person in some other sport is doing well in a world event, soccer is even first when the "news" might be something as mundane as a 3rd rate managers name has been linked to a 4th rate team.They barely mention our own soccer league at all either.

I know I can turn it off but am I being unreasonable in asking that I am not barraged with soccer every time I turn the TV or radio on ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Completely agree. I dont hate the sport(Its difficult to hate the act of kicking a ball), I hate the over dramatisation and the over coverage of it.

Its a ball. Its a few guys kicking a ball(with another team of guys trying to take it off them). So f*cking what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

BLASPHEMY!!!!!! :mad:

lots of people have an interest in soccer. therefore it's broadcast all over the place. deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Like everything, its pretty easy to avoid if you've no interest. I couldnt tell you a single thing about the premier league this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Lots of people have an interest in computer games too, 9 million people world-wide play WoW, there has been a couple of billion* hours of Halo 3 played so far, wheres the news coverage of that sort of thing.

*I think, heard it from someone across the room in class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Agree with the annoying propensity for exposure of foreign football to the detriment of our own football,Still though Go on the Rovers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I used to love the game, but then all the players became pussies.

Don't watch it no more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Soccer is complete idiocy.Imbeciles sitting in pubs,grossly oeverweight bullshiiting on about "we beat you" or "you beat us".If most of these halfwits were to take a running kick at a ball they'd collapse with instant heart failure.Then there's the idiots who have nothing better to talk about amongst each other than to crap on about "the match" last night.People who cant string two words together become verbose pundits on the subject of football.I hate it and everything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Great, it's bad enough that it's all over the media, now it's here in After Hours too. :mad:

Nah, doesn't bother me. I'm sick to death if seeing tons of 'celebrity' nonsense in the media everyday too, but I just ignore it.

They wouldn't report it if they didn't feel a large portion of listeners/readers/viewers were interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Lots of people have an interest in computer games too, 9 million people world-wide play WoW, there has been a couple of billion* hours of Halo 3 played so far, wheres the news coverage of that sort of thing.

well that's simple really...because you're average person who plays these video games spends don't look at other forms of media as much as others. a couple of billion hours already, do you think the one's who really put in the time clocking up those hours sit down at nine o clock to watch the news or read the paper over breakfast? not likely...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Fuck You.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

I don't think that soccer is all over TV, that seems like a bit of an exaggeration to be honest.

A lot of people are very passionate about football just like anything else. If you want to go down the route of saying that it's just a few guys kicking a ball around then we could also say that the frescos in the Sistene Chapel are just some paint on a wall or that Beethovens 9th is just some musical notes thrown together.

The reason why the Eircom League isn't really concentrated on that much here is that it's just not a great standard of play compared to the premiership. That doesn't mean that people here aren't interested. TV stations over here do give quite detailed coverage of it though AFAIK.

Irish rugby was given precedent over soccer in the past weeks IMO so i'm not really sure why you think that all other sports are forsaken because of soccer. GAA also gets good coverage here.

Edit: There are also quite a few Irishmen involved in English soccer in case you weren't aware

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Degsy wrote:
    Soccer is complete idiocy.Imbeciles sitting in pubs,grossly oeverweight bullshiiting on about "we beat you" or "you beat us".If most of these halfwits were to take a running kick at a ball they'd collapse with instant heart failure.Then there's the idiots who have nothing better to talk about amongst each other than to crap on about "the match" last night.People who cant string two words together become verbose pundits on the subject of football.I hate it and everything to do with it.

Stall the digger there Degsy - I was merely commenting on the amount of coverage of the premiership, I never said I hated the game
    nor its supporters - please dont alter the direction of my thread.

indough wrote:
    I don't think that soccer is all over TV, that seems like a bit of an exaggeration to be honest.

A lot of people are very passionate about football just like anything else. If you want to go down the route of saying that it's just a few guys kicking a ball around then we could also say that the frescos in the Sistene Chapel are just some paint on a wall or that Beethovens 9th is just some musical notes thrown together.

The reason why the Eircom League isn't really concentrated on that much here is that it's just not a great standard of play compared to the premiership. That doesn't mean that people here aren't interested. TV stations over here do give quite detailed coverage of it though AFAIK.

Irish rugby was given precedent over soccer in the past weeks IMO so i'm not really sure why you think that all other sports are forsaken because of soccer. GAA also gets good coverage here.

Edit: There are also quite a few Irishmen involved in English soccer in case you weren't aware

Are you acually comparing football to works of art or musical masterpeices? Are you seriously sudgesting that? You should be taken out at dawn and shot like a lame horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

What cracks me up is when you here some bloke from cabra who's (for example) never stepped foot in lancashire yet refers to man yoo as "we" or "us". hell, even the ones who go travel to the odd game are risible. Have they got family there? Any ties other than manu/liverpool/arsenal were the team of the moment when they were in school? i doubt it.

Every english person ive met chortles mightily at this wannabe carry on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MySelf56

I am aligning with OP and Degsy. I don’t understand what the big deal about the whole game is. Mr Billionaire X comes buys a club, buys all the best players and they will just keep winning every game and most of cups (Especially English Premier League). The more money you more pump in club you will win more games, hardly rocket science or excitement any more??! (Don’t tell me Club Bottom X won a cup 950 BC, it’s hardly convincing)

I know I am going to kicks and screams! But hey it’s my opinion!
    :rolleyes:

Degsy wrote:
    I applaud you sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Degsy wrote:

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fuck You.

wow using formatting to get around the bold word filter, theres someone who really puts some effort into their insults

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Listen if getting drunk while staring dreamily at twenty two men in shorts running around sweating and kicking a bit of leather makes you a gargantuan homosexual, we may as well paint all soccer fans pink!1!

Wait, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

I just don't like black people.

No more inappropriate comments from you young lads.

Banned for 1,234,897,444 weeks

-Asok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm not sick of it, merely inconvenienced by that's it's always on the telly in the pub. If you wanna support your local soccer club, fine, but don't support a club that you have no connection with whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

indough wrote:

I disagree - listen to your radio on your way home this evening - sports news will be 60% soccer despite all the other sports played today.

you'll get home to watch six ones sports news - same thing - TV3 will devote a whole hour to it later in the evening in their "Sports" tonight. meanwhile if you dont wanna watch a champions league game on the telly turn back on the radio for some current affair or political debate -nope Off the Ball 60% soccer before another hour of soccer in the soccer show.
    indough wrote:

Em - its the feckin World Cup and only Major news comes before news of some bolton wonderer's forward crying coz his mother forgot to breast feed him this morning.

GAA - gets coverage because its major season is in the Premiership off season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I have no relation to the madelaine mccann case yet i am bombarded with reports on this issue I deal with this by not watching or reading or listening to gumbo's talk about it

I suggest the soccer haters follow a similiar line

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Listen if getting drunk while staring dreamily at twenty two men in shorts running around sweating and kicking a bit of leather makes you a gargantuan homosexual, we may as well paint all soccer fans pink!1!

Wait, what?

Indeed, and lets not even start on rugby! Worse excuse for men groping men since wrestling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Degsy wrote:

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

a load of pansies kicking a bag o' wind around a field and it IS on all the time. THe soccer isn't even the worst of it. Listening to those gob****es moan on andon about how they would have done things for hours and hours. Then! As soon as that's over it's highlights of the game that just ended.. Then people get all inflamed about soccer talk like they where out on the pitch or paying these pansies with they're own hard cash to play the game for them.

It's muck I say, muck of the highest order! At least with GAA you get to see fight's and they don't roll around on the ground like a little girl that's just had her pony shot for bitching about a lack of icecream.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

If only it was that easy. Why should I have to make an effort not to watch it? Actually, I probably wouldn't have a problem with football if there weren't so many drama queens in it. It really pisses me off to see some twat taking a dive every two minutes. When that happens, the other team should be allowed to kick the living **** out of them. That'll stop all that rubbish and leave the rest to play the game properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

According to a survey conducted by FIFA published in 2001, over 240 million people from more than 200 countries regularly play football.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

biko wrote:
    I'm not sick of it, merely inconvenienced by that's it's always on the telly in the pub. If you wanna support your local soccer club, fine, but don't support a club that you have no connection with whatsoever.

To sum up this post. "Do what ever you like, as long as I approve". :p

Correct?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I would say alot more pople play football and alot more time/money has been involved in playig the sport

Advertisement