Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warhammer MMORPG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Have the minimum / recommended specs been released yet?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Have the minimum / recommended specs been released yet?

No, but it's months away from release, so they wouldn't have been in a position to finalise anything like that yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

How can you not devulge something on the game, it's not like they are going to trace your ingame to the same boards.ie username and track you down and take you out of the beta for disclosing what type of classes you can pick!

I've signed up to the beta about 10 times, NOTHING!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

sunzz wrote: »
    How can you not devulge something on the game, it's not like they are going to trace your ingame to the same boards.ie username and track you down and take you out of the beta for disclosing what type of classes you can pick!

Since I interviewed at GOA they know exactly where to find me. In general they have a policy of giving a beta place to anyone who reports and NDA breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Whats the hours like and pay in the GOA place for being a GM for this game anyhow?

Was considering enquiring.

• Advertisement

KoKane wrote: »
    Whats the hours like and pay in the GOA place for being a GM for this game anyhow?

Was considering enquiring.

Can't answer that, it wasn't a GM role.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

sunzz wrote: »

10 signups in a pool 550,000 aint good odd's :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Spear wrote: »
    Since I interviewed at GOA they know exactly where to find me. In general they have a policy of giving a beta place to anyone who reports an NDA breaker.
    Jebus!
    thats evil.
    Really clever mind,you but still evil :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Just thinking about this today, I'll give 2:1 odds that blizzard release wrath of the lich king just before the release of warhammer...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Again! on the Signups for Beta.

Can you increase your chances in any way? or is it just RANDOM luck to get into the beta, like if you participate in the US forums or that kind of thing

Sorry to keep on about this but when I'm not studying I've nothing else to play, so my mind wanders..

• Advertisement

Fremen wrote: »
    Just thinking about this today, I'll give 2:1 odds that blizzard release wrath of the lich king just before the release of warhammer...

A week ago I would of agreed with you but seeing as the Age of Conan release date is now late march they might use the new WoW expansion then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I dont think Conan is gonna be anywhere near as big a threat to Warcraft as Warhammer is. Warhammer will suffer big time if it is released near to Wrath of the Lich King. Blizzard really do seem to hold all the cards at the moment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

I highly suspect Wrath of the Lich King would have a very limited affect on Warhammer's success or failure.

Anyone that is swayed back to World of Warcraft by Wrath of the Lich King would be swayed back even if it came out after Warhammer.

What will affect Warhammer and Age of Conan alike is how good they are, how they build upon or rebuild interface and gameplay elements of WoW and whether they can lure people from WoW or just remind the same people why WoW continues to be the number one mmo. All of these things and more, will not be known until we see a released version of Warhammer and get to play it for a while :p

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Ivan wrote: »
    I highly suspect Wrath of the Lich King would have a very limited affect on Warhammer's success or failure.

Anyone that is swayed back to World of Warcraft by Wrath of the Lich King would be swayed back even if it came out after Warhammer.

What will affect Warhammer and Age of Conan alike is how good they are, how they build upon or rebuild interface and gameplay elements of WoW and whether they can lure people from WoW or just remind the same people why WoW continues to be the number one mmo. All of these things and more, will not be known until we see a released version of Warhammer and get to play it for a while :p

x2, well said.
    "old school" mmo'ers will play Warhammer regardless of any other mmo (almost all of them anyhow)
    Most people are going to at least try these games and just see what its like.
    It will be up to the game and how it works, and I suppose word of mouth, if the people stay.

You also have the Warhammer brand name to take into account. There will be fans who, with the choice of two equal MMOs, will take (or possibly reject) the branded one because of prior history with that name.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You also have the Warhammer brand name to take into account. There will be fans who, with the choice of two equal MMOs, will take (or possibly reject) the branded one because of prior history with that name.

The Warcraft brand is arguably as strong as the Warhammer brand tbh.

The warhammer brand is of course a huge draw but its the first free month's subscription that makes or breaks any mmorpg and the warhammer IP will not save it if the content sucks.

While Im not allowed to comment on the direction WAR is taking to stand out from the rest of the crowd, the concept of AoC's combat alone looks to be a huge step forward in the evolution of the mmorpg's.

The WOTLK expansion is going to be a massive blow to every other online subscription based game due to the fact that all the ex players of WoW who left due to lack of content at level 70 can now go back to their old characters and instantly jump into new content. I myself think LOTRO is one of the better games out at the moment but lack of content at high levels is a no brainer reason for me not to subscribe but when (if) its first expansion is released I will go back in an instant.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

A recent statistic announced someplace reliable stated that roughly 6% of World of Warcrafts player base have seen level 70 end-game content, i.e. Mount Hyjal and Black Temple. Thats before people who have finished the level 70 end-game content. Combined with that Arenas and PvP grinding and you can be assured that there is very few people out there that have finished the WoW content.

What we can say, is that there are a large player-base, myself included, who feel as though they have finished the end-game content. Because it is ultimately, the same thing with a slightly off-colour coat of paint.

I will of course, come back and resubscribe an account to WoW when WotLK comes out, but will I drop what I am doing and go back whole heartedly, just so I can grind another 10 levels and start collecting gear all over again? No fúcking way.

The biggest problem is, WoW kidnapped the imaginations of many veteran MMO player's and new to the genre people alike, because it reimagined alot of stuff that needed reimagining. Sadly now, WoW has gotten so big that the ability to innovate is almost completely lost to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I think one of the biggest pulling factors of WAR is the fact thats PvP is built in from the start.

From level 1, I can (if I choose) stop grinding off Mobs and level solely on Players in a PvP zone.

For me personally thats whats fun about MMORPGs, I like the Human element, ganking people and getting ganked, its scarier, its got allot more highs and lows, which keep you coming back for more.

When I played WoW I loved it, they did so many things right. I actually really enjoyed leveling with my Fire Mage and making things with my Engineer skill like fighting chickens and nets that always backfired. It really baffled me that they didn't have any sort of decent PvP zone! Seriously how hard would it have been to stick a Zone in the middle of the map just for Pvp...

With War I think they really just need to get the first 0-20 levels right because so many people with flock from every other MMORPG just to see what all the hype is about and if they enjoy the first few days they will more than likely stay.

So many MMORPGs are coming out these days but they all seem to rehash the same old crap. What I hope is that War take all the goodness from WOW, all the innovation and imagination, without constantly raising the level cap and build it all with a PVP twist.

Death to the Care-bears!

nesf wrote: »
    The Warcraft brand is arguably as strong as the Warhammer brand tbh.

Quite possibly. However the Warhammer name may be enough to draw in the tabletop gamers who don't play MMOs to any great degree, simply because it is "their" game.

• Advertisement

Quite possibly. However the Warhammer name may be enough to draw in the tabletop gamers who don't play MMOs to any great degree, simply because it is "their" game.

Most tabletop gamers played Warcraft too though. Early RTSs and tabletop wargaming went hand in hand to a large extent because of the large overlap in the player bases. WoW was unusual for an MMO because of the huge influx of RTS players who came into the game because of the brand. I don't think the Warhammer brand will result in as a big a movement of people popping their MMO cherry.

The Dawn of War brand had a lot of the old 40K heads playing in the same game again but most of those old 40K heads had been playing RTS games all along and weren't really new to the genre. From what I saw of it anyway.

nesf wrote: »
    WoW was unusual for an MMO because of the huge influx of RTS players who came into the game because of the brand.

WoW was unusual in that as a new game it didnt have high hardware specs, touched up existing ideas stolen from other mmorpgs and is as basic a game as can be found. Now while Blizzard did an amazing job with WoW it offers nothing new in anysense of the word.

Venom wrote: »
    WoW was unusual in that as a new game it didnt have high hardware specs, touched up existing ideas stolen from other mmorpgs and is as basic a game as can be found. Now while Blizzard did an amazing job with WoW it offers nothing new in anysense of the word.

Yeah, but for many of the players that it drew in who were new to the genre, a not insignificant number, it was new. WoW was the beginning of MMOs for many people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Master-Decoy

bah! i didnt get a job at GOA even though I was working for blizzard until they went to cork. no great loss tbh,didnt fancy working in front of a computer for the rest of my 20's as it is. Chap in the interview said it's official release is june of this year.Beta hasn't gone live yet but will be in feb.Not sure if Im arsed with MMO's anymore.Played EVE for the last few years and Warcraft lost its appeal after 6 months of working there,wasn't even using the game time they gave me when I left! :P

Nice building GOA have, there in 'the coombe' in dublin 8,really shiny place in the middle of a generally dank area.Have a mate who got the job so ill stay up to date with what there doing anyway. Application for the British Army is in so we'll wait and see. ;)

Beta hasn't gone live yet but will be in feb.

Beta started last July.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ya, but that was a "friends and family" kind of thing. There hasnt been a huge number of 'regular' invites afaik (but i might be wrong). Maybe they meant an open beta, although that would still be very early to release it.

Kiith wrote: »
    Ya, but that was a "friends and family" kind of thing. There hasnt been a huge number of 'regular' invites afaik (but i might be wrong). Maybe they meant an open beta, although that would still be very early to release it.

I have no friends or family at GOA or Mythic. I applied through the public website and got in last June, beta started in July.

Spear wrote: »
    I have no friends or family at GOA or Mythic. I applied through the public website and got in last June, beta started in July.

Same as above except I got my beta invite in Aug/Oct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Master-Decoy

European beta isnt open though is it? Why the hell are they still taking applicants on the ticker? seemed like a wicked place and I'd say working there will knock then shades out of the old blizz setup in swords,but I heard cork is wicked so I guess I wouldn't mind catching up with them again.

I can defo confirm that the interviewer,nice and seemingly informed chap even though he's not a gamer,
    did actually say that June was official release. I can only take this as fact.But most of that kind of stuff is speculation up until a few weeks prior to release.still should be a laugh.I might actually enjoy playing it now that I wont be working there. :P

• Advertisement

European beta isnt open though is it? Why the hell are they still taking applicants on the ticker? seemed like a wicked place and I'd say working there will knock then shades out of the old blizz setup in swords,but I heard cork is wicked so I guess I wouldn't mind catching up with them again.

I can defo confirm that the interviewer,nice and seemingly informed chap even though he's not a gamer,
    did actually say that June was official release. I can only take this as fact.But most of that kind of stuff is speculation up until a few weeks prior to release.still should be a laugh.I might actually enjoy playing it now that I wont be working there. :P

The european beta opened last July.

Advertisement