Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warhammer MMORPG

Options
  • 03-10-2007 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got onto the beta list?

When does beta start and what are peoples thoughts in General. I for one am loking forward to the cathode ray burn on my retina. Horray!!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The beta has already started, but you wont get any information about it, as its all covered by the NDA. And its current release date is Feb 2008, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Some people in here got into the beta although I forget the names.

I wonder is it that good. I mean Ive heard / read all the hype watch the demo's but .. I dunno.. we can only wait and see.

I would like to hear some honest (non fanboy) options of it. Is it just a rehash of everything that has come before with shiny graphics?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I would like to hear some honest (non fanboy) options of it. Is it just a rehash of everything that has come before with shiny graphics?

Which is exactly what most new MMO's are nowadays. Warcraft was a rehash of old Everquest/Ultima (etc...) idea's, yet was massivly succesful and really enjoyable (if only for a time). The main draw of Warhammer is the PvP centric game system. I'm looking forward to never having to grind and grind the same random enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

(non fanboy) : its just a rehash of everything that has come before with shiny graphics

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Some people in here got into the beta although I forget the names.

I wonder is it that good. I mean Ive heard / read all the hype watch the demo's but .. I dunno.. we can only wait and see.

haha .. are you thinking of giving up your life again? Ill join you .. lets roll two warhammer versions of mercs :p tbh I really miss DAoC sometimes ... nothing comes close to it. WoW was fun for a while but without the same ppl playing it soon got boring .. and the pvp kinda sucked. Do you think we could convince the rest of them to come back or are we too old now lol?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

I'd best describe it as a remake of DAoC by the same people who brought you DAoC, but with more modern technology, oodles of time and bundles of cash.

I fail to see how it can possibly go wrong :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Kiith wrote:
    Warcraft was a rehash of old Everquest/Ultima (etc...)
    Ehh, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

Personally, I think it will be great. For how long remains to be seen, but with the amount of money and talent the are throwing at it, it can't miss.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Has anyone got onto the beta list?

When does beta start and what are peoples thoughts in General. I for one am loking forward to the cathode ray burn on my retina. Horray!!

Been in the beta since it started in July, but other than that people aren't allowed to give any details, screenshots, gameplay mechanics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

Are you allowed tell us if it's any good? Marks out of ten?

Anyway, it looks like myself, Devore and a couple of our mates will be forming an Irish guild. Anyone intrested? any suggestions for names?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Are you allowed tell us if it's any good? Marks out of ten?

Anyway, it looks like myself, Devore and a couple of our mates will be forming an Irish guild. Anyone intrested? any suggestions for names?

I'm enjoying so far, but it's months away from release so much could change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Spear wrote:
    I'm enjoying so far, but it's months away from release so much could change.

Dude you might want to stop yapping before your breaking of the NDA gets you in trouble ;)

Venom wrote:
    Dude you might want to stop yapping before your breaking of the NDA gets you in trouble ;)

But I haven't broken it, we're allowed to say if we're in the beta and whether or not we're having fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Spear wrote:
    But I haven't broken it, we're allowed to say if we're in the beta and whether or not we're having fun.

We are allowed say we got into the beta and nothing else go check the official beta forums if you think otherwise man :)

Venom wrote:
    We are allowed say we got into the beta and nothing else go check the official beta forums if you think otherwise man :)

PM sent that backs up my statement.

Do you think we could convince the rest of them to come back or are we too old now lol?

Im sure we probably could.. im dying to "whatthefu*ckpwn" someone ;)

Things just haven't been the same since I quit. Playing TF2 these days but its boooring after the first day or two. Might see you in Quake maybe? Playboy.

HammerHeadGym. Great idea. Love to join once it begins.

Im sure we probably could.. im dying to "whatthefu*ckpwn" someone ;)

Things just haven't been the same since I quit. Playing TF2 these days but its boooring after the first day or two. Might see you in Quake maybe? Playboy.

HammerHeadGym. Great idea. Love to join once it begins.

Im in the process of upgrading atm ... psu blew so decided to buy a new motherboard and a quad core chip to go with it ... Going to upgrade to vista too and get two more gigs of ram in a couple of weeks. hopefully when I have some cash in a few months I will purchase and 8800gts or gtx .. looking foward to Crysis. I think i have a copy of quake in ireland but not here .. maybe ill get someone to post it over to me. Not too keen on fps though .. want to get into a good pvp mmo with the old guys!!

Supposedly Crysis is an ANIMAL with your settings on high.
    Tim from CtrlAltdel
    http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/index.php

I've also given the Crysis MP beta a whirl. My first impressions were "Wow, these graphics really do live up to the hype. This is incredible."

My second impression was "Holy ****, my framerate sucks." My system isn't exactly a slouch, but clearly you're going to need a computer from the future to run this smoothly on Very High settings. So, the graphics are some of the best I've seen, but I'm not sure how many people will really be able to enjoy them. At least at a decent framerate. I'm still interested in seeing single-player as well.

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 processor
    Asus Striker Extreme 680i motherboard
    4GB Corsair Dominator RAM
    2x GeForce 8800GTX video cards
    Ageia PhysX card
    320GB 3GB/s SATA Seagate HD

Yeah I'd love a good pvp mmo too but they are way off, so Im hoping Quake will fill the gap for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I just read on SlashDot that the beta has been shut down, possibly til December.

http://games.slashdot.org/games/07/10/08/2120228.shtml

I just read on SlashDot that the beta has been shut down, possibly til December.

Slashdot seems to have a completely unwarrantedly pessimistic spin that seems to imply that something bad has happened, when this isn't the case at all.

• Advertisement

I love the funny comments :)
    "You have one chance to make a first impression; the brand value of an MMO is created within the first week of launch. End of story. You're done the first week... I say a week, but it might even be a day. It's a post-World Of Warcraft world. You better do that."

Very True, first thing that I loved about WOW was the graphics, played LOTR and ditched it after a day. Not saying its a bad game I just expected it to look better..

With Conan coming being released sooner than expected, probably to try and get a core base before WAR is released do you think it will end up going down the same path releasing before they should?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Spear wrote:
    Slashdot seems to have a completely unwarrantedly pessimistic spin that seems to imply that something bad has happened, when this isn't the case at all.

Yeah, it does seem that way. Reading the fuller story makes it sound like its for the assimilation of the testing results so far, and presumably development of fixes.

Just means the rest of us less fortunate types can't expect to see our beta invites for another couple of months now.

Very True, first thing that I loved about WOW was the graphics, played LOTR and ditched it after a day. Not saying its a bad game I just expected it to look better..

My impression was the opposite, I thought it looked fairly good for an MMO, but there was no atmposphere, it was just a nameless characterless village you start in, and it's the usual kill 10 wolves and return stuff. Maybe the decent parts of the Tolkien licence come in later, but I wasn't going to gamble on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

That's a bit odd, I would have thought it would be better to basically tell the beta testers 'we are polishing the game so wont be updating for a couple of months, meanwhile have fun playing'.

Blowfish wrote:
    That's a bit odd, I would have thought it would be better to basically tell the beta testers 'we are polishing the game so wont be updating for a couple of months, meanwhile have fun playing'.

No point in having the same bugs relogged repeatedly and have to filter them out. Plus it leaves time to establish infrastructure, server upgrades etc.

Supposedly Crysis is an ANIMAL with your settings on high.

Yeah I'd love a good pvp mmo too but they are way off, so Im hoping Quake will fill the gap for a while.

Well Im getting close to a setup that good because I want to run Vista 64 bit

Gigabyte 965P-DS3 Motherboard -- Quad Core optimized -- supports up to 1333 FSB

Thermaltake Toughpower 750W PSU

4 GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 CL4 800MHz

Q6600 Quad Core 2.4 GHz Processor

Sapphire X1900XT -- Will upgrade to an 8800GTX when I have the cash

2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 400GB 8MB

2 x Maxtor Ultra16 250GB Hard Drive Serial ATA-150, 7200RPM 16MB

The RAM is being delivered tomorrow and then Im done apart from the GFX card .. think I will w8 a little while see if the prices come down .. the X1900XT will do for the time being. But I shouldnt be thinking about gaming atm .. have to study ..arrgh.

That will some PC when its done! im still using my FX55 ..

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

*Edit* in relation to playboy and static

Bah ye two lamo's talking about the past - that game was so rollercoaster it was unbelievable.
    Ronan had it right in making a level 50 of every character - at least that way when you got rolled over by the designers at least one of your other characters would become superman!!!!

*Yes i still hold a grudge over my sorc*!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about the hijacking :o

Triangle wrote: »
    *Edit* in relation to playboy and static

Bah ye two lamo's talking about the past - that game was so rollercoaster it was unbelievable.
    Ronan had it right in making a level 50 of every character - at least that way when you got rolled over by the designers at least one of your other characters would become superman!!!!

*Yes i still hold a grudge over my sorc*!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about the hijacking :o

haha ..yo Brian!! Ye we are lame but u still going to come back for WAR? :p U miss it too .. dont lie!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Ofc i'm gonna sign my life away again :) i've even organised a babysitter for the wife and kids for a couple of years :D

Now - just have to merge my 3 computers together to get a standard modern PC. i reckon the 2 7,200 Disks i can make into a 14,400somehow :P

Although my XBOX has taken over my gaming recently

*Triangle runs and hides in shame*

Advertisement