Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I like cake!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Lol :D

FYP
    Baby got Bake!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

That fudge looks seriously tasty, I think if you try cutting it (or at least scoring it) before its fully set. It's not quite so brittle. Then again, why would you not want to have lots of little tasty spare bits?:D

Can I ask what recipe you used?

This one, from Rachel Allens Favourite Food at Home

HEAVENLY FUDGE
    Makes about 60 pieces

1 x tin 375g condensed milk
    100g (4oz) butter
    450g (1lb) caster or muscovado sugar

1. Put the lot in a pan, stir and bring to boil. Boil for about 10 mins stirring all the time (dont let it burn on the bottom) until it reaches the soft ball stage. To test for this put a half teaspoon blob of the fudge into a bowl of cold water - it should be firm but maliable.

2. Remove from heat and sit the bottom of the pan in a bowl of cold water (I just sat it in the basin in the sink) that comes to 2-3cm up the outside of the pan. Stir until the fudge cools down a bit - it will go from smooth, shiny and toffeeish to looking matt in appearance, think and grainy.

3. Scrape contents of saucepan into a square cake tin 20 x 20cm (8in x 8in) or to cover about two thirds of a small swiss roll tin/baking tray - which is what I used. The fudge should be about 1-1.5cm think. Let it cool and cut into squares.

She says this but it sets pretty quickly so maybe have a knife standing by to cut while a little warm and see what happens?!

Variations:
    Vanilla fudge: add 1 teasp of vanilla extract to the ingredients at the start

Chocolate: Add 75g dark choc (70% cocoa solids if poss) chopped to the fudge when you take it off the heat. Stir to melt the chocolate before placing it in bowl of cold water.

So there you are...
    Enjoy, but as I said before, theres some serious sugar highs to accompany this so unless you have super will power and can resist eating the entire thing, make sure theres a few peeps on hand to help you out!!! Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I made some dark chocolate cupcakes last night for a friend's 23rd Birthday party tonight. Then spent quite some time dying coconut and making googly eyes out of buttons and chocolate chips!

I've not made my buttercream just yet, it's a bit of a rush as I'm at work now and I've to make these when I get home and then head straight over!
    I hope it doesn't take too long!

Here's what I have so far, will post the finished picture tomorrow morning hopefully :)

152899.jpg

152900.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

Lornen wrote: »
    Here's what I have so far, will post the finished picture tomorrow morning hopefully :)

Oh i cant wait to see the finished product... im sure they will be fantastic considering i can practically see them forming before my eyes just by the ingredients.nom nom nom ;)

Oh i cant wait to see the finished product... im sure they will be fantastic considering i can practically see them forming before my eyes just by the ingredients.nom nom nom ;)

Thank you! :)
    Hopefully they'll look the part! First time making cupcakes, I'm not a big cake person but the cupcake is really rich but very light at the same time, super lovely! Can't wait to get them finished.
    My mum's making Little Miss Naughty cupcakes aswell so will post up some of her pics aswell! :D

• Advertisement

Thank you! :)
    Hopefully they'll look the part! First time making cupcakes, I'm not a big cake person but the cupcake is really rich but very light at the same time, super lovely! Can't wait to get them finished.
    My mum's making Little Miss Naughty cupcakes aswell so will post up some of her pics aswell! :D

well Happy Constructing!! I find this part is more time consuming than the actual baking but thats all part of the fun & love seeing the finished product after all the hard work!
    looking forward to the pics. Enjoy!

I made a daffodil cake & cupcakes for Daffodil Day today, must post some pics over the wkend. have a good one!

Ok so here are my cupcakes completed!!
    I was really happy with them and they were a mega hit at the party.
    Everyone said it was surprising they tasted very nice as things that look nice usually don't taste good? Which I found an unusual compliment but a compliment I'll happily take! :pac:

It was my first time ever making cupcakes so I am pretty pleased with how they came out. :)

It's also my little sister's 13th Birthday today and we all thought we'd be crippled with a request for a Justin Bieber themed cake, but she really liked the cupcakes I was making so she asked if my mum could make her a Cookie Monster cake!

So there's a picture of that too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

They look brilliant. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Lornen they are fab, they are better than some of the cookie monster cakes and cupcakes I've seen done by "professionals" around the country, fair play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Spadina wrote: »
    Lornen they are fab, they are better than some of the cookie monster cakes and cupcakes I've seen done by "professionals" around the country, fair play!

+1 they look awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made cupcake topped cupcakes :)

dsc00520xl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Lornen they look fantastic :D

Wow, thank you everyone for the kind compliments!
    I really enjoyed them and trust me they are easy as pie to make as long as you put time aside for all of the little time consuming components. :o

I spent the night with a friend and we decided to go to Tesco's at an exceptionally late hour to pick up ingredients to bake a Dutch Apple Pie!

Strange angle for a picture I know, but it turned out well!

153131.jpg

Successful baking week!

Faith your cupcakes are stunning and so bold! Cupcake with cupcake! :pac:

Ok so here are my cupcakes completed!!
    Lornen the Cupcakes & cake turned out fantastic as i had know doubt they would after the effort that went in to the preparation!

Here is my cake & cupcakes that i donated for Daffodil Day 2011 which was last friday!DaffodilCakeCupcakes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

wow thats brill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Wow!!! Amazing, well done you!

Lornen the Cupcakes & cake turned out fantastic as i had know doubt they would after the effort that went in to the preparation!

Thank you so much! It means alot to me that people on boards who make stunning cakes that I admire are complimenting my creations! :o

Your daffodil cake and cupcakes are absolutely stunning!

Thank you so much! It means alot to me that people on boards who make stunning cakes that I admire are complimenting my creations! :o

Your daffodil cake and cupcakes are absolutely stunning!

Thank you for the compliment, as does it mean a lot to me aswell. This cake makin' is just a hobby for me & my cakes pics up here are mostly 1st time trying them out, so getting compliments like that gives me the push to try new cakes all the time :D

Wow Lornen those cookie monster cupcakes are fantastic...must have taken you ages to dye the Coconut!

The daffodil display is really fantastic showgirlrita, I hope you raised loads of money, you deserved it. That would be so hard to cut it's so pretty.

Faith, those cake-topped-cakes look like the little cakes have fancy top hats on! Really cute:)

Looking forward to mother's day, she's specifically requested cake pops so I'm gonna be a busy bee!

• Advertisement

So I made a cake-pop bunch of flowers for my Mam yesterday...they went down a treat! (Bad pic, camera phone with bad lighting, tasty pops though!)

154059.jpg

I got the cute pink bucket in Tescos, they are an easter thing, only 1.40, I used kebab skewers for the pop sticks and the recipe was melted mars bars mixed in with the choc cake crumbs covered in milk and white choc.
    Still haven't perfected the assembly method, but they were yummy and she loved them, so I'm happy. :)

Apologies if this sounds a little dense but, what on Earth is a chocolate biscuit cake?! Is it a non bake cake?! That's what I know a cbc to be, but to be honest, I haven't a clue. Is seems to be a very popular wedding cake choice lately and I was just wondering who would choose a hard, crunchy 'cake' over a lovely traditional fruit cake or any actual cake for that matter.

I think it sounds horrible, so maybe someone can shed some light!

Chocolate biscuit cake is a non bake cake, also known as refrigerator cake due to where it sets :) It is a genuinely lovely thing when you eat a decent one made with decent quality chocolate, if cheap/cooking/Dairy Milk is used in it it's hideous. It's popular for weddings because it's so different and a total trend cake, it's easy to serve in finger food slices if wanted, and it lasts longer than madeira etc.

People like the novelty of it, you can add almost any chocolate/sweets you like, maltesers, different biscuits, crunchie, marshmallows etc. I actually really love it, but rarely make it for my own personal on nom nom-ing because I know how much butter goes into it so I can't bring myself to eat much of it :)

The odlums recipe for it is very good, never eat one that is pale in colour, that suggests chocolate with a low cocoa solids content has been used, I mix 75% chocolate with good quality milk chocolate and it's a lovely rich brown colour, with a mix of Rich Teas and Digestives, it really is delicious!

A lot of people don't like fruit cake and a lot of other cakes so it can be a great option for them.

Spadina wrote: »
    Chocolate biscuit cake is a non bake cake, also known as refrigerator cake due to where it sets :) It is a genuinely lovely thing when you eat a decent one made with decent quality chocolate, if cheap/cooking/Dairy Milk is used in it it's hideous. It's popular for weddings because it's so different and a total trend cake, it's easy to serve in finger food slices if wanted, and it lasts longer than madeira etc.

People like the novelty of it, you can add almost any chocolate/sweets you like, maltesers, different biscuits, crunchie, marshmallows etc. I actually really love it, but rarely make it for my own personal on nom nom-ing because I know how much butter goes into it so I can't bring myself to eat much of it :)

The odlums recipe for it is very good, never eat one that is pale in colour, that suggests chocolate with a low cocoa solids content has been used, I mix 75% chocolate with good quality milk chocolate and it's a lovely rich brown colour, with a mix of Rich Teas and Digestives, it really is delicious!

A lot of people don't like fruit cake and a lot of other cakes so it can be a great option for them.

Cheers for the insight!

Myself and my mother made a lovely one with malteser's and a marshmallow "frosting" we then toasted. It was just a bit hilarious to cut! :pac:
    I think anything that uses cheap/cooking chocolate is pretty woeful. Good thing I'm in the habit of only using milk chocolate that contains more than 35% cocoa solids and regular chocolate with a minimum of 60% :)

I guess I just couldn't imagine anyone icing one like the traditional wedding cakes. Could it be done in white chocolate?

I must just be super old fashioned when it comes to wedding cake :o

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

We had a biscuit cake decorated with white chocolate for our wedding. It was so scrumptious and looked great. I suppose it all depends on what you do or don't like. Neither of us like fruit cake and I don't like fondant icing so it was perfect for us.
    thumbs_Chocolate20Heaven201020820620eu490.jpg

Just finished these for the Easter weekend with my mother and sister.

I can't take any credit for anything bar the decorating of the Big Bird cupcakes which were an absolute bloody NIGHTMARE!

Fun though! Happy enough with the turn out!!

156271.jpg

Brighter picture here :)

156282.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

My birthday cake :D very quick job. Chocolate fudge cake!

DSC00372.jpg

DSC00380.jpg

That chocolate cake looks incredible :eek:

I mean both are but... THE CHOCOLATE CAKE COME ON! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Is it just me or is the first cake far from perfect?

Advertisement