Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I like cake!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ninky

thats fantastic:)

*rolls up sleeves*

I'll be trying this at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Some of the cupcakes I made for gang at work

IMG_07291.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Lemon drizzle cupcake with lemon icing, hubby did the icing ..am useless at it.
    Apple streussel (sp?) crumble type cupcake, made with applesauce and crumble topping.
    Baileys chocolate marshmallow mousse (Nigella inspired) with baileys cream. Very heavy n rich for a mousse almost truffle-like. Next time will do half choc half cream..double cream lightens it..to taste ..doesn't lighten on the hips.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭carleigh

A Hello Kitty cake I made for a party tomorrow......

001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

^ Almost too cute to eat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Mum made this last Friday for my friend's little girl's 2nd Birthday :)

Will do my best to find a better picture!

169671.JPG

I also made these for a friend's mum :)

New flavour and first time trying to make a home made syrup that I was happy with!

Lemon and Blueberry sponge topped with fresh lemon buttercream frosting, drizzled with homemade bleuberry syrup and a fresh blueberry to finish!

169672.JPG

169673.JPG

And again, this one's been on here a few times. It'll end up my signature cupcake! Terry's Chocolate Orange EXPLOSION!

169674.JPG

All the cakes are so cute! I love the Minion they remind me of tic tacs. Love Dispicable Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

This is for a friends Baby Shower that im going to tonight!
    Like Lornen & her Choc orange explosion cupcakes, the belly cake will prob turn in to my signature cake! :)

2011-08-11210228-1-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Yeah I've made a few of them as well, very popular cake these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lornen wrote: »

And again, this one's been on here a few times. It'll end up my signature cupcake! Terry's Chocolate Orange EXPLOSION!

169674.JPG

OMG:eek: That looks EPIC!!! Do you have a business making these? I adore Terry's chocolate orange so I can only imagine that this is to die for!:D

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    OMG:eek: That looks EPIC!!! Do you have a business making these? I adore Terry's chocolate orange so I can only imagine that this is to die for!:D

Thank you for the kind words! Terry's Chocolate Orange bars are my FAVOURITE bars so it's probably why I went all out trying to make this cupcake really eye catching. :)

I wouldn't call it a business. But alot of my friends come to me when they want some cupcakes made and they give me the money for the supplies.

I don't take any profit and if it's a friend's brithday coming up I usually just bake them cupcakes as their present.

Making these again this Friday actually as well as trying out a new caramel crunch themed cupcake! I'll be posting more pictures hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭datk

Lornen wrote: »

169674.JPG

These look amazing, I've been searching for a recipe but all seem to be vanilla sponge with dark icing - these look great. Do you just ad orange to the buttercream icing? Are the cupcakes themselves just chocolate or do they have orange zest in them? I'd appreciate any pointers you're willing to pass on!

datk wrote: »
    These look amazing, I've been searching for a recipe but all seem to be vanilla sponge with dark icing - these look great. Do you just ad orange to the buttercream icing? Are the cupcakes themselves just chocolate or do they have orange zest in them? I'd appreciate any pointers you're willing to pass on!

Hey! For the cupcake I used a dark chocolate cupcake recipe I've been using for absolutely ages now. It never fails to impress!
    Took a notion one day and chucked in the zest of a large orange into the mix and then I saved the juice from that orange and zested another orange and used that for the buttercream frosting. Usually milk is used to loosen the frosting but I just used orange juice. You can use orange essence if you fancy, I just use the juice so I don't waste it! Very fresh orange flavour off the buttercream. I think the essence tastes a little like perfume so avoid it all together :)

Oh and thank you very much for the compliment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Oh that's a lovely recipe lornen, I'll be giving them a shot this weekend!! :)

Eviledna wrote: »
    Oh that's a lovely recipe lornen, I'll be giving them a shot this weekend!! :)

I can't remember if I've posted this before but here it is!

Sorry for the random measurements. I use cup measurements but then for the sour cream and butter I know the ml and g of the two.

It's written a little slap dash but if you have any Q's fire away :D

Dark Chocolate Cupcakes

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Prep Time: 20 minutes | Bake Time: 18-20 minutes | Cooling Time: 45 minutes

8 tablespoons (113g) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
    2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
    ½ cup (1.5 ounces) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
    ¾ cup (3.75 ounces) all-purpose flour
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ¾ teaspoon baking powder
    2 eggs
    ¾ cup (5.25 ounces) granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    ½ teaspoon table salt
    ½ cup (4 ounces) or 125ml sour cream

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat to 180c. Line standard-size muffin pan with baking cup liners.

2. Combine butter, chocolate, and cocoa in medium heatproof bowl. Set bowl over saucepan containing barely simmering water;
    heat mixture until butter and chocolate are melted and whisk until smooth and combined.
    Set aside to cool until just warm to the touch.

3. Whisk flour, baking soda, and baking powder in small bowl to combine.

4. Whisk eggs in second medium bowl to combine; add sugar, vanilla, and salt until fully incorporated.
    Add cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until combined.
    Sift about one-third of flour mixture over chocolate mixture and whisk until combined;
    whisk in sour cream until combined, then sift remaining flour mixture over and whisk until batter is homogeneous and thick.

5. Divide the batter evenly among muffin pan cups.
    Bake until skewer inserted into center of cupcakes comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭carleigh

My brother got married last weekend, and my gift to him was the wedding cake. I made 2 fruit cakes and 100 vanilla cupcakes (half of which can be seen on the stand). They were delighted with how it turned out......phew! :)

068.jpg

Have only ever made the classic chocolate whoopie pie, this is my first attempt at a halloween whoopie pie which has mixed spice in it and an orange butter cream.

The recipe said to beat the butter and orange juice together first..I followed the recipe but found the juice just splattered and it's like it split the buttercream a bit. So next time I'll just make it the other way round like a normally do and it should be fine. Tasted great though orange and mixed spice and a yummy combo.

Was just practicing with the icing cut outs to see what would fit, when I do them for Halloween itself I'll be using a better quality fondant, orange base with a black cut out on top.

Any tips of getting rid of excess icing sugar from the top of fondant?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Grace16

Have only ever made the classic chocolate whoopie pie, this is my first attempt at a halloween whoopie pie which has mixed spice in it and an orange butter cream.

The recipe said to beat the butter and orange juice together first..I followed the recipe but found the juice just splattered and it's like it split the buttercream a bit. So next time I'll just make it the other way round like a normally do and it should be fine. Tasted great though orange and mixed spice and a yummy combo.

Was just practicing with the icing cut outs to see what would fit, when I do them for Halloween itself I'll be using a better quality fondant, orange base with a black cut out on top.

They look so good!
    This is probably well known, but do you use a tin or anything for making the whoopie pies? I made them a couple of weeks ago and they turned out really flat and soft, even though I followed the recipe. Any help would be appreciated because they did taste really good! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭phormium

Barely damp brush will get off the icing sugar.

@Grace with one recipe I just use a tablespoon and gently flatten the top a bit but with these ones I used an ice cream scoop..my latest purchase..it's one with the lever that releases the dough without having to push it around with your hands and it creates a nice round blob of dough. But they are very big so I need to look out for a mini ice cream scoop with the release lever.

I use a baking sheet lines with baking paper, they are generally soft in texture like a moist cake ..kinda. To get them to rise a bit more maybe add a teeny bit more raising agent or when putting them on the tin use an ice cream scoop or make them smaller but slightly higher.

If you spot the whoopie pie book, it's in Easons and a lot of shops now for only 4.99 they have a giant whoopie pie cake in it as well.

• Advertisement

I make orange buttercream frosting the whole time and never had a problem with it splitting. :(

Do you use orange zest in your frosting too yeah? Lovely punchy flavour off the zest!

Anyway what I do is I chuck in the butter and add a half cup of sugar at a time. I add the orange juice and I literally add DROPS at a time. Throwing it all in at once will give you that lovely SPLAT everywhere, maybe when you're pouring the juice in whisk it gently together and then crank your machine up full whack. If it's too loose after the orange, chuck in more sugar until it's at the consistency you like. I use milk to loosen up my frostings too, maybe try that if your not keen on putting more juice in.

Sorry it's very long winded but I hope that's helped a touch! :)

Had a go at making spider cupcakes, used larger cupcake papers so they didn't rise as well as I hoped (choc chip bun/cupcake) layer of chocolate buttercream, then choccy sprinkles..ideally would like to use the dark choc. sprinkles..but had to use the lighter brown ones. The eyes will be white with red mini M&Ms or mini Smarties..whatever I can find.
    My young one told me that spiders don't have noses but hey mine do.
    8 liquorice leggies.
    They're funny lookin' not really scary but little kids will like them. I'm not good with decorating stuff so this was the easiest way I could find.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I had to share this. I saw this at a party on Saturday night. It is a cake made by a neighbour of mine for her Scottish boss. Absolutely class! (Well done Dee!)

179191.jpg

That's so cute! I wonder how she got the cake not to roll off it looks huge plenty of eating in it..wish I could make stuff like that :-(
    How did she make the little drip from the tap?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Betsysquared

Wow everybody!

Just read through the entire 26 pages, such professional work, hope I can add to this thread when I make my next cake,

Lornen, how do you dye the coconut? just steep it in food colouring?
    THose seasame street cupcakes are brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That's so cute! I wonder how she got the cake not to roll off it looks huge plenty of eating in it..wish I could make stuff like that :-(
    I've no idea tbh. Next time I see Dee I'll be sure to ask her.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

If you want I could suggest an answer for you :) In my cakes I usually use a melted Haribo jelly for it. Or a drop of isomalt. There are a lot of variants. Be creative! Experiment!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

Cake I made for a friend's birthday :D

cake fabian.jpg

Isomalt..saw that on Cake Boss the other day (he's so annoying and he's ain't all that as a baker..all that pre bought in icing n stuff bleah and all the fake arguments and shouting they do but still can't help watching it). Never seen Isomalt here where can you get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

Normally I buy it from the UK. But sugar would be ok as well. (just don't burn it which is easily done :) ) Or for small jobs like this one you can get diabetic clear mints in Boots and just melt a candy :) Sugar in them is replaced by isomalt. :) Or even Fox normal clear mints will do :)

Advertisement