Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I like cake!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

Just model them of sugarpaste.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Hi DreamC,

I am hosting a Come Dine with Me evening with a group of girls in April. I really want to do a cake for dessert and personalise it. I was thinking of doing a shoe cake, something along the lines of the SATC one on your page (I'm sure mine will be a more basic version!)

Anyway, just wondering how exactly I would go about it, I am a good baker but this would be my first time making a cake like this. I have two months to practise. Just wondering if you or any of the cake makers here had any tips? How long beforehand can I make the cake, where would I find recipes etc any suggestions appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Baker8609

Pics of the cake i made for my brothers 30th yesterday... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Baker8609 wrote: »
    Brilliant

Aw thanks :D
    took 5 an half hours!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 barrigone

hi smiles 302,

go to tutorials on internet, one link is: http://www.how2cakes.com/shoe.html

and join the group on facebook irish cake decorating and sugarcraft, brillant ladies on here, great to help you

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

Ooo thanks so much! I really must give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

Thats amazing :D Love the chocolate mud on the wheels especially!!
    Also is that Black Buttercream?? how did you colour it?

Thanks Showgirlrita :D

took a lot of patience but i was delighted with it in the end...and the birthday boy was even more so! :D

I used black paste, it needed the whole bottle tho coz i made so much buttercream (300g butter & 500g icing sugar) but it didnt effect the taste. it was coming out slightly grey but i left it sitting while i made up the other icing and i found it got lil darker as time went on.
    i got the black and yellow paste here http://stuff4cakes.ie/product_info.php/cPath/29_49/products_id/168

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

I finally got my Stephen Benison shoe making kit and finished a cake yesterday using them. I was really happy with them :)

• Advertisement

This was for my friends baby shower at the weekend, she loved it, especially the freaky foot :P
    From my 1st one of these only 9 months ago( no pun intended ;)) I can see an improvement in the design of the cake!!

Bellycakenew.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tays

Thanks Showgirlrita :D

took a lot of patience but i was delighted with it in the end...and the birthday boy was even more so! :D

I used black paste, it needed the whole bottle tho coz i made so much buttercream (300g butter & 500g icing sugar) but it didnt effect the taste. it was coming out slightly grey but i left it sitting while i made up the other icing and i found it got lil darker as time went on.
    i got the black and yellow paste here http://stuff4cakes.ie/product_info.php/cPath/29_49/products_id/168

Baker8609 That's Class!! Where did you get the models and little hard hats!? Very well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

showgirl I love the foot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I made this recipe yesterday for my boyfriends birthday cake
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/heavenly-chocolate-cake-recipe/index.html

I left out the mouse and buttercream and filled it with ganache & raspberry cream(raspberries mushed in sugar and mixed into whipped cream:P) instead, made a kind of hazelnut praline a a topping

Made the ganache with 85% chocolate, it's sooooooo good :D

Then i set it on fire:pac:
    152650.jpg
    *served with steak and chips*

A luscious slice
    152651.JPG

tip - if you're going to make this cake i'd recommend using 2 tins, it didnt work very well in one tin

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

kerash wrote: »
    I made this recipe yesterday for my boyfriends birthday cake
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/heavenly-chocolate-cake-recipe/index.html

I left out the mouse and buttercream and filled it with ganache & raspberry cream(raspberries mushed in sugar and mixed into whipped cream:P) instead, made a kind of hazelnut praline a a topping

Made the ganache with 85% chocolate, it's sooooooo good :D

Then i set it on fire:pac:
    152650.jpg
    *served with steak and chips*

A luscious slice
    152651.JPG

tip - if you're going to make this cake i'd recommend using 2 tins, it didnt work very well in one tin

Looks amazing! I had to double take when you said "mouse" I was like, THERE IS MOUSE IN THIS CAKE?! 0.0 but alas, MOUSSE!
    I need some coffee :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Lmao :o Yes there is no mouse >_>
    <_<

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

This was for my friends baby shower at the weekend, she loved it, especially the freaky foot :P

I love it :D

Tried out my 1st carrot cake yest eve from the recipe on the back of odlums flour. I halved the recipe to make in a smaller loaf tin. It took no time at all to prepare & topped with cream cheese icing it tasted yum!!
    only have a pic on my phone so will try and upload later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Tried out my 1st carrot cake yest eve from the recipe on the back of odlums flour. I halved the recipe to make in a smaller loaf tin. It took no time at all to prepare & topped with cream cheese icing it tasted yum!!
    only have a pic on my phone so will try and upload later!

I made a delicious moist carrot cake a few weeks ago, I hate cream cheese with a passion so I made cinnamon buttercream as filling instead, omg it was delicious, myself and another boardsie demolished it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I made 24 of these cupcakes for my OH's brother's 24th birthday!
    White ones are vanilla with white choc buttercream, choc ones are chocolate and hazelnut with milk choc buttercream.

152672.jpg

We stacked them up and lit the candles, and they went down a treat :)

Now...I say I made them solely for his birthday...twas nothing to do with me dying to try out the 1M wilton tip I finally splashed out on!:D

• Advertisement

Those cupcakes are making me hungry Edna!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

:) It's almost 6 o'clock...that's cupcake time!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

A few pics for ye!

I love looking at everyones pics so thought I should give a little something back:D

Baked these for a little country farmers market a while back. The feckin coffee icing (with irel coffee essence! Yum!) curdled and I think maybe the kitchen was too warm or something, Weird. Also the maderia cake curdled as well as I didnt add a spoon of flour with the egg; lesson learned.

The fudge didnt work out too badly. HIGHLY addictive but it didnt cut too well, so there was loads of little cut offs! Any idea how to get a better slice when cutting fudge cubes?

Truffles are just dark choc ganache in cocoa powder or coconut. They sold well.

The sponge cakes have tonnes of jam in them but they dont look great in the pics. All 3 cakes sold before they had offically opened the doors, and were the first to go from all the other ones...even though theres wasnt that much in fairness.

Made a very long lemon drizzle cake log and cut it in half so sold as two:)

Have another spat of baking on the cards this weekend. Theres a cake sale in aid of Cancer in Chapelizod, dublin, on saturday from 11 to 1pm in the bandroom if anyone has nothing better to do. (ie bake and bring or just come and buy!)

Hungry now:)
    Doolee

Doolee wrote: »
    The feckin coffee icing (with irel coffee essence! Yum!) curdled and I think maybe the kitchen was too warm or something, Weird. Also the maderia cake curdled as well as I didnt add a spoon of flour with the egg; lesson learned.

The pics look fab! Just to say though, the icing curdling/splitting would be caused by over beating, it can happen if you've too much liquid to try and mix in (like the essence), just do it slower next time, looks super tasty though :)

Again madeira splits if you beat it too much, but even if madeira mix splits a little bit it's still perfect and still tastes great. Sometimes if I beat it for a few seconds too long it kinda splits but it's fine and tasty after.

Enjoy the cake sale! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Eviledna wrote: »
    I made 24 of these cupcakes for my OH's brother's 24th birthday!
    White ones are vanilla with white choc buttercream, choc ones are chocolate and hazelnut with milk choc buttercream.

We stacked them up and lit the candles, and they went down a treat :)

Now...I say I made them solely for his birthday...twas nothing to do with me dying to try out the 1M wilton tip I finally splashed out on!:D

They look fantastic...its way too early to be craving cupcakes! Your swirls are perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Spadina wrote: »
    The pics look fab! Just to say though, the icing curdling/splitting would be caused by over beating, it can happen if you've too much liquid to try and mix in (like the essence), just do it slower next time, looks super tasty though :)

Again madeira splits if you beat it too much, but even if madeira mix splits a little bit it's still perfect and still tastes great. Sometimes if I beat it for a few seconds too long it kinda splits but it's fine and tasty after.

Enjoy the cake sale! :)

Thanks for that info Spadina. The over beating is what did it id say. Also never though it would be too much liquid in the icing. I just love Irel Coffee essence and hadnt seen/used it in years so may have gotten carried away:rolleyes:

Thanks again, love all the advise and info you give on this forum :)

Spadina wrote: »
    I made a delicious moist carrot cake a few weeks ago, I hate cream cheese with a passion so I made cinnamon buttercream as filling instead, omg it was delicious, myself and another boardsie demolished it!

Oh i am absolutely addicted to anything cinnamon tasting/smelling!!! must give that a whirl....also cinnamon butter on banana bread nom nom nom!

TillyGirl wrote: »
    They look fantastic...its way too early to be craving cupcakes! Your swirls are perfect!

Its NEVER too early to crave cupcakes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Doolee wrote: »
    The fudge didnt work out too badly. HIGHLY addictive but it didnt cut too well, so there was loads of little cut offs! Any idea how to get a better slice when cutting fudge cubes?

That fudge looks seriously tasty, I think if you try cutting it (or at least scoring it) before its fully set. It's not quite so brittle. Then again, why would you not want to have lots of little tasty spare bits?:D

Can I ask what recipe you used?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

This thread brings this to mind:
    I like big cakes and I can not lie
    You other brothers can't deny
    That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist
    And a round thing in your face
    You get sprung, wanna pull out your tough
    'Cause you notice that cake was stuffed
    Deep in the jeans she's wearing
    I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
    Oh baby, I wanna get with you
    And take your picture
    My homeboys tried to warn me
    But that cake you got makes me so hungry
    Ooh, Rump-o'-smooth-icing
    You say you wanna get in my Benz?
    Well, use me, use me
    'Cause you ain't that average groupie
    I've seen them dancin'
    To hell with romancin'
    She's sweet, wet,
    Got it goin' like a turbo 'Vette
    I'm tired of magazines
    Sayin' flat cakes are the thing
    Take the average black man and ask him that
    She gotta pack much back
    So, fellas! (Yeah!) Fellas! (Yeah!)
    Has your girlfriend got the cake? (Hell yeah!)
    Tell 'em to shake it! (Shake it!) Shake it! (Shake it!)
    Shake that healthy cake!
    Baby got bake!

Advertisement