Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I like cake!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 barrigone

Wow the cakes are amazing girls!!!! imagine if i could make something like that -the shoe is so good!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

ha Spadina i am slightly freaked out now...the cake i am just about to start preparing for is my 1st shoe & shoe box :eek: Great minds...i decided to try it for a friend. i only tore apart a shoe last nite for template and support..dont think it will look anything like yours tho it is perfect!!

That's funny, great minds is right! Yeah I didn't use any template or anything for the shoe, had a look online to see if I could find anything but then just went for it, I don't like using cutters or moulds, takes so much of the fun and skill out of it. It was great fun though, loved doing the leopard print!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

Guinnesscake.jpg
    guinnessring.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

My first attempt at a shoe and shoe box cake.

28438_391252927071_172309652071_3848047_5749507_n.jpg

This cake was a bit of a rush(for my brother in law) wish I'd had another hour to finish it.
    29158_398078687071_172309652071_3985821_1310821_n.jpg

• Advertisement

tootired wrote: »
    My first attempt at a shoe and shoe box cake.

That is beautifuk TT - My 1st fondant shoe is in the process of drying, making the cake shoe box next wk.
    Do you mind telling me what tin/pan you used for the size of the box & how many layers it was. Tts exactly the size i want to do. Dont want to have to make the lid seperate so would like it high enough so u can lay the fondant over the top like yours.

That is beautifuk TT - My 1st fondant shoe is in the process of drying, making the cake shoe box next wk.
    Do you mind telling me what tin/pan you used for the size of the box & how many layers it was. Tts exactly the size i want to do. Dont want to have to make the lid seperate so would like it high enough so u can lay the fondant over the top like yours.

How did the fondant shoe go for you rita? I found mine so stressful to do, I wanted it with such a high heel and particular shape that I was worried it wouldn't stand alone, but once it was dry I was so happy with it. Had to take my photo down because I recently had some issues with someone using photos of my cakes as their own, so they are being watermarked from now on!

I know you're asking tootired about the shoebox size but I made mine 3 layers high, as I wanted to put the lid on the same way too, not separately.

Spadina wrote: »
    How did the fondant shoe go for you rita? I found mine so stressful to do, I wanted it with such a high heel and particular shape that I was worried it wouldn't stand alone, but once it was dry I was so happy with it. Had to take my photo down because I recently had some issues with someone using photos of my cakes as their own, so they are being watermarked from now on!

I know you're asking tootired about the shoebox size but I made mine 3 layers high, as I wanted to put the lid on the same way too, not separately.

Hi Spadina,well the shoe looks great,as does the heel....you see the sole & upper part are drying seperately to the heel,once they are fully dry i hope i can attach heel without it all falling to pieces-fingers crossed! i attached a bow to the toe part last nite and it makes the shoe look so real :)
    sorry to hear that about your photos, that must be very upsetting.

ya i was thinking 3 layers would do with a nice bit of filling in between each,i just need to find the right size pan now and ill be off.
    Am making 60 cupcakes to go with it but i have already prepared the toppers for that. So next week the bakings begins..

Yeah I had the heel and upper drying separately too, it was just such a steep angle I was worried that when I'd put them together they wouldn't be sturdy but they were thank God, the heel was made of fine sturdy pastillage so it held the weight no bother, didn't need to worry at all! I used a 6 by 10 inch tin which again is different to the size you're looking to do.

It was very annoying about the photos, not to mention illegal! Got it sorted out though, it was on facebook, so I reported her for copyright infringement and facebook dealt with her very quickly. But now all my photos need to have my business copyright on them so I probably won't put anymore up here :( I'm baking all day today, kitchen's lovely and warm! :)

Yeah I had the heel and upper drying separately too, it was just such a steep angle I was worried that when I'd put them together they wouldn't be sturdy but the were thank God, the heel was made of fine sturdy pastillage so it held the weight no bother, didn't need to worry at all! I used a 6 by 10 inch tin which again is different to the size you're looking to do.

It was very annoying about the photos, not to mention illegal! Got it sorted out though, it was on facebook, so I reported her for copyright infringement and facebook dealt with her very quickly. But now all my photos need to have my business copyright on them so I probably won't put anymore up here :(

mine is a mock-up of a regular stiletto so its quite high & ive already noticed that if the heel isnt the exact height,the weight of the front will make the shoe snap in the middle,so i will have to be extra careful :eek:

Glad you got it sorted but will be sorry you wont be able to submit your pictures here any more.. have you have a FB page or website that you could PM a link, id love to be able to keep up with your creations

• Advertisement

PM'd you rita :)

PM'd you rita :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Nothing half as fab looking as yer cakes but hey :P

Banana bread
    16012011003.jpg

Chocolate fudge cupcakes
    22012011002.jpg

Chocolate fudge cake
    22012011001.jpg

Thanks SG, I always use a roasting tray as my tin( I bought 2 in Woodies) and just carve the shape I need. Sometimes I have lots of cake left over but it gets eaten!! I made this nearly a year ago but I did go into a shoe shop and ask for a box with a lid,I used the exact dimensions of this box.
    To make the shoe I didn't actually deconstruct a shoe but I used a shoe I had and made a template from it. A good tip to get the arch right is to cover a lump of roll out icing in cling film and put it between the heel and the sole and push it and shape it til you have the shape of the arch. Then when my other layers were drying like the sole and inner lining I rested them on the lump of shaped fondant. It also helps when transporting the cake to keep it's shape, I put crumpled up cling film and cotton wool in the sandal part to stop that from possibly breaking in transit( the cake went to Limerick from Galway, so a long enough journey to have a disaster)
    From memory this was a 2 layer cake, but it all depends on how high your cake is to begin with.

Yeah I had the heel and upper drying separately too, it was just such a steep angle I was worried that when I'd put them together they wouldn't be sturdy but they were thank God, the heel was made of fine sturdy pastillage so it held the weight no bother, didn't need to worry at all! I used a 6 by 10 inch tin which again is different to the size you're looking to do.

It was very annoying about the photos, not to mention illegal! Got it sorted out though, it was on facebook, so I reported her for copyright infringement and facebook dealt with her very quickly. But now all my photos need to have my business copyright on them so I probably won't put anymore up here :( I'm baking all day today, kitchen's lovely and warm! :)

I was wondering where the pics were and was I imagining that they were there. That is awful that this person was using your images as their own. How did you find out? I have a facebook page too and it never occured to me that someone would do that. Can you pm me your facebook page, I know I found you before but can't remember the name of it, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Hey,

That shoe cake is fantastic and i love the box. I did a cake for one of my friends she is an electrician, but a girlie one!! I bought a shoe making kit from www.sugar-artistry.com - http://www.sugar-artistry.co.uk/fabulous-shoe-kit-p-3303.html?osCsid=c32df9u9uf45sc44ol9j8h9ci6

I know it's a bit of a cheat but thought it looked great and there's an additional kit you can buy for it too - http://www.sugar-artistry.co.uk/funky-shoes-p-3430.html

Unfortunately with the weather it didn't arrive on time. So i had to improvise and use my own templates. Didn't work out too bad, still dying to try that shoe kit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm literally astounded by some of these cakes. How do you learn to make icing like that? Is that sugarcraft?

tootired wrote: »
    I was wondering where the pics were and was I imagining that they were there. That is awful that this person was using your images as their own. How did you find out? I have a facebook page too and it never occured to me that someone would do that. Can you pm me your facebook page, I know I found you before but can't remember the name of it, thanks.

A friend of a friend recognised my friend's cakes, if you follow that! She told me that she saw one of mine, and we found photos from at least 6 people that we could identify on her page. She had gone through the FB page Irish Cake Decorating and Sugarcraft Chat and just copied a load of photos. I had meant to watermark them all along but thought nah, surely nobody would go that low :rolleyes: Will PM you now tootired.
    Faith wrote: »
    I'm literally astounded by some of these cakes. How do you learn to make icing like that? Is that sugarcraft?

I don't know if that was directed at one person or everyone but I'm gonna answer anyway :p I'm self taught, I made my first cake 11 months ago and it snowballed from there. My mother does cakes too but never taught me any of it until I asked last year, I learned a bit from online tutorials and the rest is trial and error.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

the FB page Irish Cake Decorating and Sugarcraft Chat

Never heard of that, thanks.

I've often wondered how common it is for people to steal photos, ideas yes, but actual photos is bad alright.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I don't know if that was directed at one person or everyone but I'm gonna answer anyway :p I'm self taught, I made my first cake 11 months ago and it snowballed from there. My mother does cakes too but never taught me any of it until I asked last year, I learned a bit from online tutorials and the rest is trial and error.

Can you recommend any online tutorials?

• Advertisement

I only ever watched two :o One was how to cover a cake and the other was how to make a puppy.

This is the covering the cake one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We26gwKS_tw

I have a Debbie Brown book with models in it too which was handy for the basics of making models, the sugarcraft chat page on fb is great for info and advice, there's hobbyists and pros on there. The only problem I have found with it lately is that a lot of businesses have cottoned onto it's existance, so now you see classes advertised, products advertised, which can be grand but can be annoying too as they are only members to plug themselves. After the photo stealing debacle the woman who set up the page changed it to Request to Join, so she vets everyone now, in the hopes of stopping the photo stealing from happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭pinky 06

This is the best thread ever! Love it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

recently started making cakes with fondant.nowhere near as good as people on this thread but loving it too.some really cool cakes

I'm self taught too, I always baked and the first proper cake I made was my sisters wedding cake, which turned out well but didn't make another cake until about 3 years later for my brothers 30th, then it snowballed from there have been making cakes for a year now. Like Spadina it's a lot of trial and error, I bought lots of books written by Peggy Proschen, Mich Turner and Collette Peters. They cover all the basics, equipment etc and have beautiful ideas. I'm always on www.cakecentral.com which always has amazing cakes
    Also there's a woman called Aine2 on you tube, she had loads of great tips too.
    15734_180237327071_172309652071_2791507_1988640_n.jpg

First cake I made other than my kids bday cakes.

I could make the van so much better now, but I was very happy with it at the time.

15734_180303307071_172309652071_2792177_6452676_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

the van is so cute!
    these are first two proper cakes with sugarpaste ive made so far

Faith wrote: »

Like the others im also self taught- well google taught :D - everything ive learned is from the internet.
    And also trial & error, but ive been very lucky :)
    Its only a hobby at the moment that i do for family occassions but some day i would love to have it as my full time job.
    must join that FB aswell, might be a help :)

Hi Spadina,well the shoe looks great,as does the heel....you see the sole & upper part are drying seperately to the heel,once they are fully dry i hope i can attach heel without it all falling to pieces-fingers crossed!

Well my fears have been realised....the shoe fell apart when i tried to attach the heel :( the sole began to crack.
    I made another but im not happy with it as the heel looks dodgy at 90 degree angle instead of 45 and the sole has gotten elephant skin. I need it for this friday so i may try another but have to start baking the 72 cupcakes tonight!! :eek:
    My biggest problem is the support for the sole, and making the top of the heel (the part that attaches to the sole) at angle while keeping its nice smooth even edges down the body of the heel..:confused:

Hi rita,

The cupcakes aren't for Friday too are they? What are you using to make the shoe out of, sugarpaste and gum trag etc? Where has it been drying out? The dryer the atmosphere the better, if you make another get it into the hot press asap.

Hi rita,

The cupcakes aren't for Friday too are they? What are you using to make the shoe out of, sugarpaste and gum trag etc? Where has it been drying out? The dryer the atmosphere the better, if you make another get it into the hot press asap.

hi, yep cupcakes are for then aswell, making 2 dozen each night & am going to freeze them as i go. Im using plain old sugarpastenothing added. Is there anything at home i can add to make it better consistency??
    just drying in spare room at home but will def pop the next one in to the hot press, thanks for tip :)

• Advertisement

Oh my God plain sugarpaste! I didn't think that would make a shoe at all, it's too soft and weak. Sorry if that sounded bad but I can't imagine making anything to stand alone out of just plain sugarpaste, I used pastillage and sugarpaste with as much gum trag as I could get into it and still shape it.

The hot press is good because the air needs to be dry, very dry, to dry out the icing and make it as hard as possible. But honestly I would think the most important thing would be to start off with a more sturdy icing to work with. I can't think of anything to add at home, you could make pastillage, but if you want to use the sugarpaste you'd need CMC or gum trag.

Advertisement