Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another boy racer/loud exhaust rant..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

As a lifetime D15 resident I've come to think of the sound of car alarms, house alarms, wailing cats and stolen/racing cars driving too fast as something of a lullaby.

Of course I jest.

I like the "report them for driving without insurance" solution but unfortunately it requires alot of effort. Personally I think the best solution may be euthanasia. Boy racers who arnt spayed or neutered at a young age can become a real problem for society and need to be put down.

Therefore I would like to propose this.

Mairt I think you need to go road warrior. Put on some leather clothing, an aussie accent and buy a shotgun. Its time to take out the trash.....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i got triple glazing in my house - cant hear a thing when the windows are closed

best 2.5k, i spent in my whole life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

irishbird wrote:
    i got triple glazing in my house - cant hear a thing when the windows are closed

best 2.5k, i spent in my whole life :D
    You can get Triple Glazing???? :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

eo980 wrote:
    You can get Triple Glazing???? :eek:

Yip, you cant hear a thing, i dont even know if there are any boy racers around me

its supposed to be for a energy efficent house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Didn't they ban these? I'm sure i heard somewhere they banned those Lawnmower exaust things.

Here we are http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/motoring/boisterous-boy-racers-have-volume-turned-way-down-by-new-law-1073149.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Didn't they ban these? I'm sure i heard somewhere they banned those Lawnmower exaust things.

Here we are http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/motoring/boisterous-boy-racers-have-volume-turned-way-down-by-new-law-1073149.html
    Nope, it's just a proposal afaik.

Completely ridiculous one at that too, ban loud exhausts, nice of the EU to be so concerned about us and noise pollution, while at the same time allowing the US to plant nucleur launch pads in our countries.

I *think* I know which one I'd prefer to see banned.

LOL at their solution to the large exhaust "problem" though, by making any car with one automatically fail the NCT. Like they can't be taken off and put back on after the test.
    F*cking morons.

OP: As Layke said, chicanes or speedbumps, or even simpler, get the other residents to park their cars in a way that it is physically impossible to pass down the road at more than 10kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mullie06

Could the goverment not just introduce a db level test for these cars

Sure this is hardly a new phoneoman at this stage there has been modified cars going round for years

I'm a young lad myself at 17 (Not Driving yet cos I'm unemployed and still in school) I plan on getting a car and doing it up Its not to be cool or because its the "In" Thing to do Its because I wanna do i. I know how to drive properly (Done dunno how many lessons I took) I have been a huge follower of motorsport and cars in genral ever since I was young when I get the car I will not be tearing thought Housing esates at all hours of the night

But its a shame not everybody as the same attuide towards those cars Because I myself am sick of hearing lads ripping down my road at 100 mph and the people acting the bollix in the cars are the 1st to complain when the goverment try and introduce laws and they give the rest a bad name

At Mairt can you get some footage so we can see wats it like

Hope you get it sorted soon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I like the insurance idea myself! how would you go about it?, like what would you need?, just go to the gardai with the car make and reg? I'm living across from Tesco in Galway and the f**kers are out every night doing doughnuts, its driving me up the feckin wall. I work over in Ballybrit and sometimes work nights and its the same damn thing, I'm trying to concentrate on something and some little sh!ts come into the car park with speakers blaring and loud exhausts....surely doing doughnuts in car parks is wreckless driving in the least?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Came up with an idea this evening with some neighbours.

We set up a camcorder on the round-a-bout and record things, car reg numbers etc. Its usually the same bunch of w@nkers most evenings.

Would this be taken as evidence of dangerous driving?.

If not at least it'll make some good viewing on youtube.com!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well you could do the old potatoe trick, that is if you know where they are parking at night night.

Those really wide cherrybomb exhausts means you can ram a really good sized potatoe into them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Haha, can't wait for the "Got my camcorder stolen by boyracers, what do I do now?" thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Thaedydal wrote:
    Well you could do the old potatoe trick, that is if you know where they are parking at night night.

Those really wide cherrybomb exhausts means you can ram a really good sized potatoe into them.

A potato even... a good floury spud Al;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Thaedydal wrote:

lol, what would that actually do to the car? It makes me laugh when they rev and drive their 'souped up' low to the road faring cars over speed bumps in my college (trying to impress females I guess).

Tis great when you see them hop out of their cars clutching their semi shaved heads after realising their low farings have been ripped and buckled by the speed ramps. But they keep on doing it every year. Very sexy.

Maybe there should be more of these ramps on straight roads in built up areas? Good for a laugh for awhile if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Sorry for bringing back a zombie thread, but mother of god, there are some wank3rs drivingaround Limerick at the moment.

They go over a speed bump and then rev their engine really loud until the next one! There are like 3/4 within close proximity to my house, are these people retarded or something?

Cant wait for this new law to come in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Glass in my apartment is about an inch thick... Can't hear the road at all. I am right beside the M50 too.

Mairt, if they are making that much noise at night, ring your local garda station. Explain that they are keeping you awake and you have to work in the morning. Isn't there some sort of rule where you cannot use your horn, or for workers to operate noisey machinery at certain times in residential areas? Surely this would cover all kinds of noise? It's a breach of peace as far as I can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

They go over a speed bump and then rev their engine really loud until the next one! There are like 3/4 within close proximity to my house, are these people retarded or something?

Yep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

dlofnep wrote: »
    There is a new law coming in banning those types of exhausts on some new noise polution thingy. Boy racers wreck my head too.

I think that modified exhaust law comes in in March, and afaik 'some' motorbikes are exempt, like Harley Davidsons, because they're not modified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Scientists have recently found a link between modified exhausts and the size of the drivers penis. Basically the louder the exhaust the smaller the penis.:P

I honestly don't see why you'd want one of those noisy things. Anytime i see (and hear) one of these cars with these exhausts i find myself looking at the driver and thinking "You're some prick buddy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Mairt just ring the guards! Most of those cars are illegal in some shape or form

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Rb wrote: »
    Haha, can't wait for the "Got my camcorder stolen by boyracers, what do I do now?" thread.

More like "Killed a guy trying to steal my camcorder, what do I do now?" knwoing the little bit I do about mairt :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I was only having this conversation at the weekend..

Who the f*ck needs an exhaust that loud???? I just don't get it. I can understand the suped up car with the alloys, lights and all that shyte. But what does a loud exhaust achieve? How does that make you bleedin' deadly? And does the noise off it not irritate the tits off the driver also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Trí wrote: »
    And does the noise off it not irritate the tits off the driver also?

Asa former boy racer who has a sencible car now yes it does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 cligereen

Those pea-brained individuals who drive around in their ear-splitting rustbuckets are actually just over-grown children. Don't you remember when you were 5 or 6 years old, lying on the floor with all your toy cars around you going 'vroom vroom' to make a more impressive game as you pushed them around?:rolleyes:

That is exactly what these children are doing, making a lot of noise to make up for the fact that their cars are actually only a little more powerful than a corgi toy.

And we all know how you deal with bold children - take their toys away. Ban the buggers I say. Suspend their licences till they grow up, crush their toy cars and bung 'em in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Citizen

Place obsticles on the road. The scum usually close the road off for racing purposes, so you do not have to worry about innocent people being caught in the crossfire. The obsticles should be placed in a scattered formation to make high speeds impossible for the scumbags. Traffic cones are very suitable choice for this task. You could also add smoke bombs, oil slicks and fireworks to strike surprise and terror into the scum.

:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

OMG it's The Citizen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

Trí wrote: »
    I was only having this conversation at the weekend..

Who the f*ck needs an exhaust that loud???? I just don't get it. I can understand the suped up car with the alloys, lights and all that shyte. But what does a loud exhaust achieve? How does that make you bleedin' deadly? And does the noise off it not irritate the tits off the driver also?

not that this applies to most of the cars we are talking about but,

exhausts are a science in themselves, they get spent gasses out of the engine fast, and so increase the horsepower and torque, they are loud because of the freeflowing nature and the fact they are single boxed, not double as your standard unefficient exhaust on your avensis:eek:

if you use gears properly, the exhausts aint loud, just a sporty note. Dont worry 1st and 2nd will only hold out so long at 7,000RPM before they eject from the gear box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Ban the loud exhausts. Problem solved. Also those tinted windows whilst their at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Ban tinted windows, WHY?

what difference is it to you if my windows are tinted.

as for the exhaust thing, I've done a few mods on my latest car and it does improve the power a noticeable amount, but yeah it does make it a bit louder, not a standard boy racer type car tho so its funny to see people lookin around tryin to spot the souped up rice rocket :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Highsider wrote: »
    Ban the loud exhausts. Problem solved. Also those tinted windows whilst their at it.

would that include the tints that come on mercs and SUVs? did a judge not throw a case like that out of the courts and scolded the Garda in question for these very reasons? there should be an i think there is a maximum limit on tints, 0 on the front, 75% max i think on the A and B and rear can be 100% but I'm not sure if those figures are exact.

on the proposed idea of having an automatic fail on the NCT for an aftermarket non manufacturer exhaust what happens when someone has to replace their exhaust and gets a generic one that fits their car is that not an aftermarket exhaust? would that not get an automatic fail? or is it only specific cars that get a fail like one that has been modified? what happened to equality? also is the NCT not to do with the road worthiness of the car, why safety is breached by an aftermarket exhaust? a law like this is unpractical for these reasons.

report them to the insurance? what about if the driver has declared all modifications and provided an engineers report and the insurance is then valid, how will it effect those drivers?

I'm not defending these drivers but any law that is enacted needs to be fair to all drivers and must look to the future. there are cars out there with louder exhausts as standard would these also be banned?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Mairt wrote: »
    I'm being driven fvcking crazy here with them again tonight (Dublin 13 area).

So much so in fact that I'm sleeping at the back of the house to try get some rest.

**** in old Honda Civic's, Mitsubishi's Lancers, Skyline dirt boxes, Glanza's. You name it and the pox bottles are ripping past my house every fvcking night/early morning of the week.

I can understand yr annoyance, For those kind of drivers, here is what I think they represent.............

'they are no more then little pricks using their cars as a penile extenstion and trying to make out they are the biggest boys of the street.'

Advertisement