Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any female gamers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Oh really cos ALL the gamers who are male are trim and well toned and could never to be said to be carring a few extra pounds or stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Thaedydal wrote:
    Oh really cos ALL the gamers who are male are trim and well toned and could never to be said to be carring a few extra pounds or stones.

yeah but men get bulky, burly, stocky and rugged... women just get fat :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

I'm not fat, I'm festively plump! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

DaBreno wrote:
    I'm not fat, I'm festively plump! :(

Same diff, you just make it sound jazzed up!!!

On topic:
    Sh1t i wish my girlfriend was into games, then i could spend more time playing them, the only thing is if she started whopping my ass at games.........

I dont know whether i would be pissed off or turned on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Tusky wrote:
    If you take a look into any game shops its rare to see females browsing. Also, how many girls do you see in internet cafes playing games ? I dont think Ive ever seen any.

This is very true in Ireland, but less so in other countries. For example, last time I was in London, I saw noticeably more women in game shops and gaming cafes than in the Irish equivalents. It was interesting to have a Game employee speak to me as though I actually knew what I wanted for a change. In time, you'll see this happen over here, particularly as gaming gets steadily more and more mainstream for both genders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

I've met a swedish girl playing Ultima Online (I say met, I mean webcam :( ).
    +1 for MMO's again.

+ LOADS for female gamers. She was mega, MEGA fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

srdb20 wrote:
    Sh1t i wish my girlfriend was into games, then i could spend more time playing them, the only thing is if she started whopping my ass at games.........

I dont know whether i would be pissed off or turned on.

Bit of both tbh- damn tekken 3 with its stupid slow gameplay!

With the question of what girls want in terms of games, i think its acceptable to say that MOST of them play games like the sims etc. (however i'd say most of these would be younger than those on boards) then about half half between normal games (all genres) and MMORPGs- too many people playing them for it to be otherwise! That being said we all know that generalizations are evil!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

KoKane wrote:
    I've met a swedish girl playing Ultima Online (I say met, I mean webcam :( ).
    +1 for MMO's again.

+ LOADS for female gamers. She was mega, MEGA fine.

she wasn't fine cause she played games, she was fine because she was swedish.

i thought you would of learned by now that there's no such thing as a non fine swedish girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Cremo wrote:
    no such thing as a non fine swedish girl
    QFT

(that's our sexism for the day!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

and now the boys turn to bragging abuot hwo they do have a gf and making comments about them and yet they wonder why most femeles avoid places where such converstaions are had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

post-tits-or-gtfo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Thaedydal wrote:
    and now the boys turn to bragging abuot hwo they do have a gf and making comments about them and yet they wonder why most femeles avoid places where such converstaions are had.

I dont think any one was bragging, sounded more like complimenting some fine looking female gamer to me!

To be honest i would prefer to have some females in whatever clan i was in, i think it would be more craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Just play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I think its safe to say, that although true female gamers are still in a vast minority in Ireland...theres still a lot more then you'd think!

I dunno about other guys here but it's nice knowning theres a few hardcore PC gaming girls out there. Gaming is fking fun and the more people who get over the stigma the better.

And its interesting about the points made about female gamers not using typical female names online. I didnt know Silverfish was female for example.

I remember a few years back playing MTA (muti theft auto- Vice city online)

I was playing with someone named "bastard" for over an hour before I found out that she was a girl. She told me she used the name because she was constantly be taunted by the kids that played. It pissed me off that she was forced to do that but I understand it though.

There is a lot of retarded behaviour online that can sometimes spoil internet gaming. Its a problem we all have to deal with, both male and female.

I'm surprised theres still elements of this attitude of "ewwwww you lost to a girl" granted I rarely see it, but I don't know many female gamers myself.

Every female gamers ive met 'it battle' :p online have always been better then average players to excellent players.

We have one half dutch half japanese female member in our clan and although she was new to Bf2 (or DCON rather, DC for BF2) she kicked ass. Oh and no she's not fat, infact she smoking hot.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Sorry for dragging this up a few days later, but I had a post written for this thread and forgot about it till today :)

Humans play games.

Some of these humans are female. Most are male.

The point earlier about the kinda of games we play as kids made a lot of sense to me. Boys (certainly in this society) are encouraged to play competitive games and join their local sports clubs. There doesn't seem to be that level of encouragement for girls at the same age. So many games have some element of violence and agression, it's clear that they're only going to appeal to people who have some manner of attraction to those sorts of emotions and where better than competitive sports to breed those qualities? I'm not saying they're bad qualities, but like so many things, they have the potential to be.

Females who play games as opposed to being gamers are a different breed and would fit more into the "we're not winning, so we're not playing" category mentioned above. They're more causal about competition, but still enjoy the challenge offered by some games. By this logic, I don't consider anyone who plays MMORPGs like WoW or The Sims to be gamers. It's not that it's not competitive, but it's not comparible to the kinds of games that are played in pro tournaments (e.g. the FPS and Soccer games of the world). You can (as I understand it, I've never played an MMORPG) grind out levels by yourself, or join a guild and do some missions, but you can't retry beating someone on DM4 in a competition final. Sims Deathmatch isn't going to happen any time soon.

So the "issue" of female gamers...

Female gamers are hot. This is because they're smarter than the average bear (all gamers are smarter than the average human, we have to be), have a skill we, the gaming male understand the value of and they have boobs. :D I consider myself to be incredibly lucky to be going out with a female gamer (like most male gamers, I consider myself lucky to be going out with anyone at all)! But that's not the only hobby we have...

It's clear why some of the girls here would have gender unspecific names - they've already mentioned the reasons themselves. Ladies will get more hassle from the childish retards that make online games servers their natural habitat because these are people who lack the emotional maturity to treat women with respect. It's the boys on the school ground thing - slagging off loudest the girl they like most. See my earlier point about being channeled into competition - they're only 8 or 9 and have only being told they can be emotive about competition, which means that as soon as their brain comes up against something like this that they don't understand, they switch to something they do know.

Computer gaming provides an opportunity for a woman to be on equal playing terms with a man, that's bound to be appealing to some in what is a biased and sexist world. I feel everyone who has ever slagged off a lady in-game should read Prachett's Monsterous Regiment and learn a few things!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

MOAR TITS PLZ

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

WoW is played at pro events?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Kharn wrote:
    Computer gaming provides an opportunity for a woman to be on equal playing terms with a man, that's bound to be appealing to some in what is a biased and sexist world. I feel everyone who has ever slagged off a lady in-game should read Prachett's Monsterous Regiment and learn a few things!

I really didn't want
    the whole regiment to be wimmin
    , am I a bad person?

I bought my g/f a PSP when she was going off to America for her J1, but to no avail. You are truly gifted to have a game playing g/f good sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kharn wrote:
    Ladies will get more hassle from the childish retards that make online games servers their natural habitat because these are people who lack the emotional maturity to treat women with respect.
    Was speaking the a female gamer from Norway. She was at a LAN, and kicking ass. After 5 hours, someone stood up and asked who was X person. When she stood up, people were amazed, as she was a woman. A few people IM'ed her death threats.

We can take the scumbag out of Ballymun, but you can't take the Ballymun out the scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

KoKane wrote:
    Seen a funny quote before:
    The internet:
    Where girls are men
    men are men
    and children are FBI agents.
    Love the quote!:D

I think part of the reason for the sense that there are no girl-gamers is the fact that women tend to be more social creatures than men and with so many games being single player it would be less likely to draw them in. However in the MMORG market I've met plenty of people who at least claimed to be female, some of whom were quite open about it, others only when they felt sure I wouldn't just subsequently pester them for pics/cybering. Looking at the Daedalus project about one in eight MMORG players is female (though this statistic is 4 years old at this point), I believe that this is probably a higher turnout for the girls than you tend to see in other, less sociable games.
    http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/archives/000194.php
    Looking at the girls I know (fewer then for most other males due to working in the physics/engineering industry and the predominantly male stereotype here is unfortunately not without basis) only one actually plays games and thats mostly the Sims (she likes ruining peoples' lives:rolleyes: ) and RTS type games. One other I knew was looking forward to buying a PINK DS, enough said there for you to know what she was like (obsessed with all that was cute and girly and really did have an excessive love of the colour pink) and what sort of games she probably bought.

While Retr0gamer's girls being drawn to the likes of the Sims over other games may have been an unfair generalisation there is some truth in it in that one of the main attractions of the CoH/CoV games to girls (as stated by the female players) is the variety of costumes and the roleplaying aspect, both promenant features of the Sims franchise.
    FFXI - I think I only met one female in who complemented me on my choice of avatar, whereas I also unfortunately met one lad who in spite of my stating that I was actually a bloke but just had a female avatar spent the next hour trying to get me to cyber with him and following me around in game.:mad:
    WoW - met many d**kheads and only one or two people I'd respect as gamers so only had a few conversations with other players, none of which brought up the gender issue.
    Eve - Started playing recently, certainly have a female in the corp. though.

That said I may well know far more girls in these MMORGs than I realise since it rarely comes up in conversations anyway, so it's only the few I would have talked to a lot that I know for certain as to what their gender is.

But lets face it, even male gamers are looked upon as sad, pathetic creatures outside the gamer community:( , as such it will take even more time for it to be viewed as acceptable to be a female gamer. Throw in the fact that in general women tend to worry more about what others think of them than men and this will remain a big issue until the negativity towards gamers ends.
    Silverfish wrote:
    On the game stores......well, from my experiences there, I order all my games online now.

Did you know, the last time I was in one, they took Call of Duty out of my hand and said I wouldn't enjoy it cos the controls were too complicated?
    No wonder you don't see many females there.
    WTF!?!? I hope you had words with the person's supervisor!:mad:

While I'd never be inclined to play out a relationship online (make in chat channel emotes regarding physical affection, etc...) it would be nice to have a girlfriend who was into the same games as me. Taking on the world together! lol
    More to the point she'd understand why I can't necessarily quit this instant and another minute can make a huge difference to how I get to start the next time I get a chance to log-in.
    Even if she was better than me as long as I got to play on that to get the odd extra hug I think I could live with "the shame"* (tries look cute and huggable, and fails miserably!). ;)

PS. Kharn, if you don't consider MMORGs competitive you need to give the PVP aspect a good go.;)

*No real shame in losing to someone who's a better gamer IMO, just a reminder you need to practice more. :b

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

farohar wrote:
    PS. Kharn, if you don't consider MMORGs competitive you need to give the PVP aspect a good go.;)
    That's ok, I have a life :p Having seen the damage (and I do mean damage) that games like WoW do to people, I'll be steering clear thanks :D Besides, there's no Quad...

Something I forgot to mention...

I remember playing a game of Quake years ago with someone on one of the old IOL servers. DM6 I think we were playing in a duel. Being on a 28.8Kbps modem and not being very good *anyway* I got served. So there was the post match GGs etc and the person I was playing against (who had some generic unisex name) says "I'm a girl btw, I hope that doesn't upset you!"
    "No, why would it?"
    "It annoys most guys! :)"
    "So you say it deliberately to annoy them?"
    "yea"
    "ok, cya"

Now, I get where she was coming from (if it was even a she and not just a wind-up), I really do, but what purpose did it serve to be on the opposite side of the same abusive coin? She seemed annoyed that I didn't start calling her a bitch and a c--t and all the rest... I'd be curious to hear what y'all think of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Kharn wrote:
    That's ok, I have a life :p Having seen the damage (and I do mean damage) that games like WoW do to people, I'll be steering clear thanks :D Besides, there's no Quad...

Something I forgot to mention...

I remember playing a game of Quake years ago with someone on one of the old IOL servers. DM6 I think we were playing in a duel. Being on a 28.8Kbps modem and not being very good *anyway* I got served. So there was the post match GGs etc and the person I was playing against (who had some generic unisex name) says "I'm a girl btw, I hope that doesn't upset you!"
    "No, why would it?"
    "It annoys most guys! :)"
    "yea"
    "ok, cya"

Now, I get where she was coming from (if it was even a she and not just a wind-up), I really do, but what purpose did it serve to be on the opposite side of the same abusive coin? She seemed annoyed that I didn't start calling her a bitch and a c--t and all the rest... I'd be curious to hear what y'all think of that?

What is this "life" you speak of?!:confused::p
    As to the girl I think the correct response from you would simply have been:
    "Good for you"
    Or you could've just gone the forum way and replied with:
    "All women on the interweb are male until pics prove otherwise, please supply your proof to .... for evaluation.":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Interesting article I thought relevant: http://www.gamegrep.com/news/5302-study_women_need_to_start_gaming/

But I had already known this. My wife is now as good, if not better in some regards, at me in prince of persia. All it took was me convincing her it was equal in a waste of time as watching americas next top model :D

There really isn't any reason why women "should" be worse at computer games than men. I think this article hits the nail on the head in that its more of a socialogical matter rather than biological.

Although this trend is changing, i'd say give it another 3 generations and men and women will be equal in their want to game. Although I think the subject matter that each sex prefers to game in will never be the same. Due to mans want to destroy and conquer and womans want to create and build

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

my sister created a super file in Secret of Mana (level 99, all weapon and magic skills at 8.99 for each character and all the level 9 weapons and armours :p )... i was very proud of her. she also had a super file for skies of arcadia on the Dreamcast, she was pissed tho as the version i got on the gamecube had all the extra's. my brother wouldnt buy KOTOR 2 untill she had done her leaving cert and she even enjoys a game of unreal tournament and just bought a Wii.
    I think i brought her up well :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Meh, I don't really see what the big deal is. I'm female, I play games, I don't see where or why people have a problem. Been playing for a long time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Jazzy wrote:
    my sister created a super file in Secret of Mana (level 99, all weapon and magic skills at 8.99 for each character and all the level 9 weapons and armours :p )... i was very proud of her. she also had a super file for skies of arcadia on the Dreamcast, she was pissed tho as the version i got on the gamecube had all the extra's. my brother wouldnt buy KOTOR 2 untill she had done her leaving cert and she even enjoys a game of unreal tournament and just bought a Wii.
    I think i brought her up well :)

My own wee sister isn't quite that good, but she's a girlie teenybopper and I have her playing Doom and RPGs, and she loves racing games. You'd never think it was possible if you saw her, but it's true.
    I'm a girl too by the way, and I don't see why it's such a big deal either. People like different things for different reasons, and if that happens to be spending time online slaughtering everything that moves, then so be it. I've never seen gender as a big issue, even when guys complain about being beaten by a girl I just laugh at them and leave them to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Any girl gamers here ever recieve negitive comments or funny looks from other girls because they like to game?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    Any girl gamers here ever recieve negitive comments or funny looks from other girls because they like to game?

None whatsoever, they'll either think it's damn cool and chat about games, or just say they're not really into games themselves and leave it at that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Cunny-Funt wrote:

Yeah. Lots. Varying from the opinion that it's "stupid and childish" to "butch".
    "No, why would it?"
    "It annoys most guys! "
    "yea"
    "ok, cya"

Oh, I have lots of similar stories :)

One is me being told to "watch my language" as there was a lady on the server, followed with "yeah, a girl, what do you think of that"
    The only response I could think of was "you certainly play like one". I only mentioned at the end that I was also female.

Apart from that incident, I've never ever specified my gender in game. I like people to be clueless as to who just kicked their ass :)
    I generally just go with "gg, wp" whether I'm on the winning side or not, if you start going down the "You just got pwned by a girl!" route you're just widening the divide, by suggesting getting pwned by a girl is something extra shameful, when getting pwned by anyone at all is shameful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    I did a couple of times when I was working for GAME, usually just silly stuff really. More people wondering how the hell I ever got started with gaming than anything else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement