Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any female gamers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

the_syco wrote:
    Listen to the woman. She can actually game very well:cool:

All right, we all want Koneko (even Silverfish), no need to suck up. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Haha syco, those were the days. I specifically remember handing them their asses back in SOF2 and DC (BF) :p I just wish they hadn't all been big CS obsessives so I wouldn't have been utterly owned at that

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote:
    A mate of mine was chatting up a girl and decided to make fun of me by making me out to be a sad twat who queued up in the morning for the launch of the Wii and Zelda and was late for the party because of it. Turned out she was a massive Zelda fan and was at one of the Midnight launches queuing for zelda and a Wii as well.

You were well in there so id say were ya? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I dont understand why the female gamers on the forum seem to be getting quite defensive as Ive seen very few negative comments aimed at them. The fact is that very few women play games. Of all my female friends, not one of them owns a console. I know a couple who will play very occasionally but they would never buy a game or have a real interest in gaming.

Of the women that do play games the majority play the sims, wii party games or some platformers. Thats not a jab at the girls out there that have better taste (Koneko, Silverfish etc). There are about 5-10 posters on this forum that are female while there must be 100s of male posters, that says it all really. I think the figures would be even less if you measured outside of a gaming forum as well.

We do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Silverfish wrote:
    any sensible one playing any online game will not choose a name to draw attention to her gender

JESUS, the cringeworthiness of playing CS or whatever with some spa called 'XX_CyberGrrrl_XX' who uses 'lol' at the end of every single sentence...

(plus the further embarassment of all the virgins trying to chat her up throughout the game...)

I wish you could stab people over the internet :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You were well in there so id say were ya? ;)

Alas, no I wasn't. The fact she had a boyfriend didn't help but worse of all her dislike of Zelda: A Link to the Past was what really put me off :)

Ah I don't mean to seem defensive, and I'm not at all trying to say that girls with the same game-interests are super common, but that's changing, hopefully attitudes will continue to change along with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

When i used to play cs, there always seemed to be girl members.
    Now i play WoW and the guild im in seems to have lots of girl players, or else there just letting on there girls....

Nope i think they are real girls.
    And when i say lots maybe 6 or 7 that i know about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Tusky wrote:
    I dont understand why the female gamers on the forum seem to be getting quite defensive as Ive seen very few negative comments aimed at them. The fact is that very few women play games. Of all my female friends, not one of them owns a console.

Well, up til two months ago, I didn't own one either. I don't play console games. Whether someone owns a console or not is not really a good judge of whether they play games or not.

Tusky wrote:
    There are about 5-10 posters on this forum that are female while there must be 100s of male posters, that says it all really. I think the figures would be even less if you measured outside of a gaming forum as well.
    But, would you have known I was female if I hadn't said so? Its hard to know based on usernames. My point is there might be a good few more female gamers out there, they just don't feel the need to work it into their posts.....I mean, do you identify your gender in every post?

The clan I am in plays Battlefield and Tac Ops. There are 5 female members, excluding me. That's quite a few. None of the guys they play against know that they are female, its just assumed in matches etc that they are male, as they don't feel the need to identify their gender in their player nicks.

I'm not saying there's an equal footing or anything, I'm just saying that to state that 'All girls play x,y and z' or 'All girls play the sims' is ridiculous.
    I've been on the receiving end of this too many times, even at MY OWN CLAN'S LAN for it not to boil my blood....a few of the non-members of my clan assumed I was someone's girlfriend, until he wondered who this 'Viriconia' was he was getting killed by. He said he'd always assumed I was a bloke - for the past two years.

Just an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I know a fair few girls who don't really play games except for WoW. They're absolutely addicted to it. It's strange that they have absolutely no interest in any other sort of game.

But, sure there's nothing sexier than a girl who knows her games. Well, maybe two really hot girls making out is better, but I'll take what I can get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

MMOs are quite popular with girls, with a much more reasonable balance between sexes when compared to FPSs or similar.
    Koneko wrote:
    I'm not at all trying to say that girls with the same game-interests are super common, but that's changing, hopefully attitudes will continue to change along with that.

But is it really the girls interests that should be changing as they are shoehorned into a male oriented industry, or should it be the industry that changes to be more accommodating to women. Yes, this would probably include stereotyped games but it's not like that hasn't taken place for guys, and we don't complain (Look at Madden, any recent Need For Speed, most high-selling-not-worth-a-crap games, even Leisure Suit Larry), it's only served to open up the hobby to more acceptance and hopefully garner more interest in the titles that deserve it. (I won't go into how it's stealing part of our souls as "casual" is embraced, nor will I go into how gender biased the Game Industry as a whole is)

As an aside, I think "hardcore" gaming has a stigma for both sexes (granted, it's probably not so bad for guys), and tbh, I'm not sure that I totally disagree with it but that's a whole different topic!
    Tusky wrote:
    We do?

(Note to self; 1 down, 99 nerds to go)
    Silverfish wrote:
    The clan I am in plays Battlefield and Tac Ops. There are 5 female members, excluding me. That's quite a few. None of the guys they play against know that they are female, its just assumed in matches etc that they are male, as they don't feel the need to identify their gender in their player nicks.

6 out of how many members? (I'm not trying to break down your argument, I agree entirely with what you're saying, just interested)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Thaedydal wrote:
    And there is the fact that the statement that no girls play games or play this game ( esp in an online context) can often be the bloke's way of trying to flush out any female gamers so that he can atempt chatting them up or showing off to them.

Ah, the ol' flush and pelvic thrust combo. Works every time.

But is it really the girls interests that should be changing as they are shoehorned into a male oriented industry, or should it be the industry that changes to be more accommodating to women.

Bit of both really, I don't think anyone needs to change their interests (unless they want to) but should feel comfortable about whatever they want to play, they shouldn't feel that it's not for them or that they shouldn't be playing something.

There is no doubt that sometimes it's so male-oriented it hurts, booth babes being a very typical example, and the industry moving away from that is a positive thing. But for a lot of other games it's the violence that automatically makes people think they're male-oriented, and I don't think you can "girlify" that much except for adding female character models and toning down sexism etc, FPS games don't appeal to everyone but they have a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Silverfish wrote:
    Well, up til two months ago, I didn't own one either. I don't play console games. Whether someone owns a console or not is not really a good judge of whether they play games or not.

But, would you have known I was female if I hadn't said so? Its hard to know based on usernames. My point is there might be a good few more female gamers out there, they just don't feel the need to work it into their posts.....I mean, do you identify your gender in every post?

I'm not saying there's an equal footing or anything, I'm just saying that to state that 'All girls play x,y and z' or 'All girls play the sims' is ridiculous.
    I've been on the receiving end of this too many times, even at MY OWN CLAN'S LAN for it not to boil my blood....a few of the non-members of my clan assumed I was someone's girlfriend, until he wondered who this 'Viriconia' was he was getting killed by. He said he'd always assumed I was a bloke - for the past two years.

Just an example.

Ok well you can add pcs into the console comment. I dont know any girls that have splashed out 1000+ on a gaming pc but I know plenty of guys who have. If you take a look into any game shops its rare to see females browsing. Also, how many girls do you see in internet cafes playing games ? I dont think Ive ever seen any.

I dont do the whole clan thing anymore but when I did, it was always all guys in the clan. (or so they said) Although this was a good few years ago so things may have changed.

Obviously I havent done a survey or a study on the topic and am just going on what Ive seen. I would love to be able to play games with some of my female friends. Usually we have to turn off the games when they arrive as they get bored sitting there watching.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Tusky wrote:
    Ok well you can add pcs into the console comment. I dont know any girls that have splashed out 1000+ on a gaming pc but I know plenty of guys who have. If you take a look into any game shops its rare to see females browsing. Also, how many girls do you see in internet cafes playing games ? I dont think Ive ever seen any.

I dont do the whole clan thing anymore but when I did, it was always all guys in the clan. (or so they said) Although this was a good few years ago so things may have changed.

Obviously I havent done a survey or a study on the topic and am just going on what Ive seen. I would love to be able to play games with some of my female friends. Usually we have to turn off the games when they arrive as they get bored sitting there watching.

I don't know what to tell you, but maybe it's just the circle of friends you have?
    I know a few females who've splashed out 1000+ on pcs - I spend more than that on upgrades alone every 6 - 12 months.
    I see where you're coming from, but let's just say I have two male friends called John and Mick and all John and Mick do is drink and go fishing, is it fair for me to claim that all men do is drink and go fishing?

You seem to be trying to argue with me and say no, no girls do this or that....when here I am telling you I do, Koneko does, Thaed does, I personally know a further 6 other girls who do ....and that's just me, I don't have a huge circle of friends by any means, so all I can conclude is you either want us to stop to prove you right, or you just don't move in the right circles to see these things.

On the internet cafe..... I barely know any people that game there anymore, what with broadband being readily available to most people now, so that doesn't really need explaining.
    On the game stores......well, from my experiences there, I order all my games online now.

Did you know, the last time I was in one, they took Call of Duty out of my hand and said I wouldn't enjoy it cos the controls were too complicated?
    No wonder you don't see many females there.

Now, I'm not saying we are legion or anything at all, I'm just pointing out that this thread is a lot of males saying 'There are none' or 'Girls only like the DS and the Wii' and I am trying to refute this saying it's not exactly true, and backing it up with reasons, not just 'I think...'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Just to set the record straight , I neither fish nor drink , and I take exception to the reference .

edited to add : But I do like hanging out with Mick :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Silverfish wrote:
    Did you know, the last time I was in one, they took Call of Duty out of my hand and said I wouldn't enjoy it cos the controls were too complicated?
    No wonder you don't see many females there.

WOAH.I hope you punched the ****er that said that to you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

We used to have 3 girls in our NS clan. 1 of which is currently a playtester for NS and will be the upcoming Natural Selection 2.
    She has a blokes mentality, is good looking and likes video games.

A blokes dream girl tbh. She met her bf of 5 years through a clan meetup for CS donkies ago. Anyway, i've seen a fair few girls playing HL over the years, a lot of which I had known for a long time yet, didn't know they were gals for agers tho. In total i'd say I know about 10+ female players that play HL mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Well me wife is a gamer and pc builder. It was pretty much a prerequisite to marrying her, lol. What I have found though is that of all the females I know that game, they stick to a genre they are good at (which could also be said for a lot of guys i'll admit) Whereas I will dabble in everything, my wife sticks to 3D platformers (pop, Tomb raider..etc) and retro gaming (mainly SNES roms)

I think the generalization about women liking the SIMs and other such games is because a lot of woman are casual gamers and like to enjoy it, and not be stressed about constantly losing. Where for me the harder it is the better, as soon as a game becomes easy I drop it and move onto another one.

I think stress effects men and women differently for me it pumps testosterone and adrenalin into my blood which makes my gaming better, of all the woman I know that game the more stressed they get the worse they seem to get.

Never was this more true then when my friend brought over the Wii and a bunch of controllers. After about an hour all of the girls had dropped out, even though a lot of them owned PSP's and DS's and where frequent gamers. They just wheren't enjoying losing and didn't see the point if they couldn't enjoy it. Whereas the guy who owned the Wii was also destroying the other lads, but we didn't give up, we kept trying to get better even though we where losing as much as the girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

It's the two 'K's in a username effect actually.

;)

lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There is also the online bater or smack talk that can put of people who are not used to it and it has been as far as I can tell off putting to female gamers as well.

Hard to get someone to play when they get on to a server to see comments like 'you gonna get raped' 'takeit good and hard' ' I OWN you ' ' come ride my rocket' ect ect

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

koneko wrote:
    Haha syco, those were the days. I specifically remember handing them their asses back in SOF2 and DC (BF) :p I just wish they hadn't all been big CS obsessives so I wouldn't have been utterly owned at that
    Didn't mind CS (once I camped), it was that HL mod which aliens built stuff with that I disliked. Meh. Preferred dropping bombs on their heads from an A10. You going to the next MidLans, by any chance?
    But is it really the girls interests that should be changing as they are shoehorned into a male oriented industry
    Killing people was never gender specific:D

=-=

I haven't been in a games shop for years. I get them by other means.
    Thaedydal wrote:
    Hard to get someone to play when they get on to a server to see comments like 'you gonna get raped' 'takeit good and hard' ' I OWN you ' ' come ride my rocket' ect ect
    Is I the only one getting turned on by the duuuuuuuuuuuuurty talk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

L31mr0d wrote:
    Well me wife is a gamer and pc builder. It was pretty much a prerequisite to marrying her, lol. What I have found though is that of all the females I know that game, they stick to a genre they are good at (which could also be said for a lot of guys i'll admit) Whereas I will dabble in everything, my wife sticks to 3D platformers (pop, Tomb raider..etc) and retro gaming (mainly SNES roms)

I think the generalization about women liking the SIMs and other such games is because a lot of woman are casual gamers and like to enjoy it, and not be stressed about constantly losing. Where for me the harder it is the better, as soon as a game becomes easy I drop it and move onto another one.

I think stress effects men and women differently for me it pumps testosterone and adrenalin into my blood which makes my gaming better, of all the woman I know that game the more stressed they get the worse they seem to get.

Never was this more true then when my friend brought over the Wii and a bunch of controllers. After about an hour all of the girls had dropped out, even though a lot of them owned PSP's and DS's and where frequent gamers. They just wheren't enjoying losing and didn't see the point if they couldn't enjoy it. Whereas the guy who owned the Wii was also destroying the other lads, but we didn't give up, we kept trying to get better even though we where losing as much as the girls.

I remember looking into this a few years back as part of a university report or some such nonsense.
    Anyway, at the time, what little studies that had been done into this male/female devide came to the conclusion that, exceptions aside, the reason that girls tend to gravitate towards the Sims/WoW etc etc can be traced back to the kinds of games kids play when they are young.
    In general, guys play competitive games, where as girls tended to be more co-operative based.
    So, the reasoning goes, thats why games like the Sims, and Wow appeal, because even with WoW there is guild thing and PvE stuff. And in my personal experience most of the girls i know who play WoW usually play priest (thats the healing/support class, right? I don't play WoW myself)

That was the explanation most people were offering at the time, and to me it makes alot of sense.
    Dunno what everyone else would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm not going to add anything productive to this conversation (mainly cos it's been done before).
    What I will agree on is this:

Final Fantasy fangirls scare the bejesus out of me as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

I too am not going to add anything productive other than to say that female gamers are quite often large girls. In my experience anyway!

edit: except for that counterstrike team.. Brazil maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Not many of the girls I know admit to playing games, or it never comes up in conversation. One girl I went to college with admitted to working in a games shop, where I read on here, you *had* to be into games in order to work there (part of the interview apparently). A while later, while out on a social, a group of us were passing by where she worked in the transition from pub to club. She mentioned it as she was passing, but also said she wasn't into games, and scoffed at the "nerds" that go into the shop.

Whether she honestly doesn't like games, or was embarrassed about her pastime in front of the non-gamers in the group, I dunno.

Gaming is definitely male-orientated in it's marketing and outlook. It also seems to still have the stigma, at least in Ireland, of being a very sad, lonely and anti-social thing to do.

One thing I can't stand is the way the industry tries to get girls into gaming. They think that just issuing pink consoles and having pets/horses/cooking themed games will do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

That will get girls in the under 10s but not women.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I too am not going to add anything productive other than to say that female gamers are quite often large girls. In my experience anyway!

edit: except for that counterstrike team.. Brazil maybe?

*chuckles*

*Cough*....*splutter*.... *holds hands up* I didn't laugh, I didn't laugh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Well of the five girls in our clan , none of them could be described as large , so thats a random 0 out of 5 that fit into your experience category .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Any girls I've met that play games definitely wouldn't be described as large. Actually all of them are hot iirc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement