Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any female gamers

Options
  • 10-09-2007 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

So is it still the preserve of us men or do any girls game, never see any of you browsing the game shops so there can't be too many of you, though there aren't too many games aimed at females apart from kiddy pony stuff and maybe the sims and the odd ds game

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

There's a few, but they're definitely in the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Games aimed girls.....

that is like oh my gosh soo true...

it was soooo hard to get my well manicured hands on UT, COD, BF2, Morrowind, planescape torment, NWN, Doom, anarchy online, dark corner of the earth, baldur's gate2, deamon stone, all the resi evil titles, bloodrayne,
    Vampire, bloodlines, dungeon siege ect ect ect...

thankfully I can order all the sims online and not have to suffer sweaty smelly boys looking at my pert boobs in my pink hoodie as I linger by the pink ds twirling a blonde stand of my hair and popping my bubble gum. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

yep we're here alright, but where are you getting the girlie games idea from :P
    give me a resident evil game or silent hill game instead.

also waiting for the new devil may cry and mortal kombat game to come out, wish they'd hurry up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Thaedydal wrote:
    thankfully I can order all the sims online and not have to suffer sweaty smelly boys looking at my pert boobs in my pink hoodie as I linger by the pink ds twirling a blonde stand of my hair and popping my bubble gum. :rolleyes:

http://www.fragdolls.com/

Looking for an irish member, Sliverfish didnt get in last time :p

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

*waves*

I'd rather play a game designed to be fun than a game designed specifically for women.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

What about cooking mama?

I know absolutely nothing about the game, but judging by the title it should be something that women can enjoy...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't believe nobody has made a joke about My Housekeeping Diary.

Sometimes I wear womens clothes when I play games does that count?

I still shudder with embarassment at getting repeatedly beat at Killer Instinct by a girl I used to know. Only thing worse was losing to a 5 year old at Soul Calibur 2 :(

Girl gamers are out there but most just play the Sims. Avoid the Final Fantasy fangirls, have yet to meet one that doesn't scare me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

KdjaCL wrote:
    http://www.fragdolls.com/

Looking for an irish member, Sliverfish didnt get in last time :p

kdjac

Ha bloody ha, funny man.

I'll save the rest of my response til my blood stops bubbling.
    MooseJam wrote:
    So is it still the preserve of us men or do any girls game, never see any of you browsing the game shops so there can't be too many of you, though there aren't too many games aimed at females apart from kiddy pony stuff and maybe the sims and the odd ds game
    The fact is, you don't know how many females game, and you know why? Cos any sensible one playing any online game will not choose a name to draw attention to her gender.
    Therefore, you work under the assumption that all other players are male. Bet you they aren't.

The reason they do this? People like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

MooseJam wrote:
    games aimed at females apart from kiddy pony stuff and maybe the sims and the odd ds game
    you forgot "Hello Kitty Island Adventure" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Girl gamers are out there but most just play the Sims.
    WoW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Wow. Nice troll. And by nice I mean crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

koneko wrote:

Ah, sure he's only an adolescent pushing the boundaries of his environment. You know, maxing the envelope and dat.
    Silverfish wrote:
    The fact is, you don't know how many females game, and you know why? Cos any sensible one playing any online game will not choose a name to draw attention to her gender.
    Therefore, you work under the assumption that all other players are male. Bet you they aren't.

Funnily, as a sexy male with a female gaming name I would never get any hassle online. Maybe it's because of the esoteric nature of the name, ie.e it doesn't necessarily point to a specific gender, but there you go. I'm certainly not complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I think it's harsh to call it a troll. A little misguided, a little naive, sure, but he has some semblance of sense in between :p. Girls are the minority of gamers (particularly "hardcore" gamers) that much is clear (as I'm sure every guy here can unfortunatly attest to). OK, girls can enjoy Unreal and Battlefield as much as the next guy, but those girls are far fewer than the guys. Do you think these games are aimed at a general market, or guys? The answer should be a resounding "guys".

Most women that play games, especially the likes of UT, Quake or BF will usually have different interests to the majority of girls (Just to stub it now, I'm not calling you tom-boys or anything :) ) and so the "I'll play it if it's fun, not if it's directed to me as a woman" argument is somewhat insufficient. The two are not mutually exclusive, for example, let's say two games had identical mechanics, however, all the models are different. On one side, you have the typical FPS, macho-man, blood and guts fair, while on the other you have a typically female look (I'm not going to stereotype this, I'll only be digging deeper). I guarantee that the majority of men would find one game more "fun" while women would favour the other, despite the mechanics being identical. Even the simple option of female avatars can play a factor in it's attractiveness to females. The women on here may laugh at female targeted suggestions but only because their tastes are inherently different. Would you disagree?

The games industry is targeted at males, unquestionably, and as a result, yes OP there are female gamers, but they're in the minority. It is turning around though as games become more and more mainstream, plus Nintendo spots money.

Should I be digging up?

Well I...

You see I...

If you ....

I think I....

Dammit, you have me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I guess I'm just tired of the labels and the assumptions (most of which are negative ones). And that's the thing, by saying girls like X you're generalising. Guys like a lot of different things but so do girls. Some girls like Sims games. Some girls like FPSs. Some girls like RPGs. Men's tastes differ, and so do women's.

It's a self fulfilling prophecy really, it's the sometimes poor attitudes towards female gamers that puts more of them off playing or "going public" about playing. It's seen as a pretty sad "no life" hobby, which puts some off. Girls that don't have friends that game are less likely to get into it, it would seem intimidating. I can't blame them, sometimes the reaction I've gotten is disbelief, and I'm sure Silverfish knows too what it can be like to show up at a LAN as the only female (which reminds me, we should toootally have a LAN).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Girls do play other games apart from the Sims.

They're just useless at those games...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

And there is the fact that the statement that no girls play games or play this game ( esp in an online context) can often be the bloke's way of trying to flush out any female gamers so that he can atempt chatting them up or showing off to them.

There can also be the case when playing online fps that if you are known to be a female player they will try and knock you out asap with at times the entire other team gunning fr you first so taht they can't be fragged/beat by a girl.

Need to get my post count up

By that I mean: sorry, double post.

Thaedydal wrote:
    And there is the fact that the statement that no girls play games or play this game ( esp in an online context) can often be the bloke's way of trying to flush out any female gamers so that he can atempt chatting them up or showing off to them.

I can see it now:

'Hey baby, check out theses moves' *A,X,B forward right control stick, Right shoulder button*

*female swoons*

'Oh! You had me at X'

This happened on-line somewhere. 100% true story.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Lots of female gamers in other countries.
    Just Ireland lagging behind atm.
    I'd give it 4 years. Give or take a week.

C'mon ladies, make your stand... Have your say... Fight the power!
    Post some pics.

Seen a funny quote before:
    The internet:
    Where girls are men
    men are men
    and children are FBI agents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

this wasn't a troll, I was just curious is all

KoKane wrote:

C'mon ladies, make your stand... Have your say... Fight the power!
    Post some pics.

<

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hope nobody is offended by my Sims comment it's just that I'm speaking from personal experience. I know very few girl gamers and most of those just play the Sims exclusively.

I think that many females have a taboo about videogaming that stops them from playing games. They see it as a guy thing or a very immature waste of time. I remember the very first Wii party we had in college. Every girl at it had never played a game in there lives yet the minute you got them to pick up a controller they were having a great time and couldn't be kept away from the controller to the point were the sanctity of the winer stays on rule had to be explained. There was only on girl there that didn't have a good time and she just sat there with a sulky look on her face and refused to touch a controller.

I don't think it's that girls just don't enjoy games, even the macho ones (Soul Calibur and Street Fighter 2 are firm favourites with the girls at the Wii parties), it's that they just don't give games a chance. The majority of them imo will actually enjoy them.

My favourite girl gamer story happened at the research teams christmas party. A mate of mine was chatting up a girl and decided to make fun of me by making me out to be a sad twat who queued up in the morning for the launch of the Wii and Zelda and was late for the party because of it. Turned out she was a massive Zelda fan and was at one of the Midnight launches queuing for zelda and a Wii as well.

What's the obsession with the Wii?

Girls play more than Wii games, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

koneko wrote:
    Listen to the woman. She can actually game very well:cool:

And for the record, I know one woman that plays Sims. The rest I know play Q3, BFV, BF2, BF2142, etc. I've met them online, and at LAN's.

For those that expecting girly names, well, WHAT THE UNHOLY F**K IS A GIRLY ONLINE NAME ? ? ? Kitten2004, or some bullsh|t name?

the_syco wrote:
    Listen to the woman. She can actually game very well:cool:

She has most games beaten before I've gotten the wrapper off :)

Silverfish wrote:

No obsession and I know girls play more than Wii games. However as a means of getting the girls I know who never played a videogame or even considered it to play one it worked miracles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Silverfish wrote:

All the girls i know play wii and DS because they are simple and fun.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    All the girls i know play wii and DS because they are simple and fun.

kdjac

That's why they know you then.

EDIT: (DAMMIT minus the fun part. Damn)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Silverfish wrote:
    That's why they know you then.

EDIT: (DAMMIT minus the fun part. Damn)

It burns!!!! :p I knows a few female gamers, not your wii/DS gamers either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement