Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Spoiler]Tonight's result: Good or bad?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Essentially, we have always needed to beat both the French and the Argies to have a chance at the semi final berth, so it doesn't really change much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.
    I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say. Are you suggesting we should just forfeit the match against France now to save them the inconvenience?
    If you think for one second that the French team facing us is going to be anything like the team that lost to Argentina in terms of personnel, attitude, temperament, focus and determination then you are in for a "quare land" as they say.
    I think we all know that......

But here's an interesting little fact: Ireland are good too.

Course if we start badly against France, they could slaughter us, but after what happened in Croke Park, I reckon this Irish team's lust for revenge will stand up to France's determination to redeem themselves after last night.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

obl wrote:
    Essentially, we have always needed to beat both the French and the Argies to have a chance at the semi final berth, so it doesn't really change much.

it changes a lot, now we could lose to France and still top the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

JC 2K3 wrote:

But we're playing badly. we haven't had a good performance since springtime. Since then our reserves have lost to Argentina twice, a mix and match team lost to Scotland and our first choice team has come close to being embarrassed by Italy and Namibia.

France can, and will, change their personnel around for the better. I don't expect to see Heymans at full back against us, for example. Who can we draft into our team, in particular the pack that was bossed around by a bunch of part-time farmers and lion tamers that would make us any better?

We're stuck with the front line we've got sadly. And it is misfiring badly at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,696 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say. Are you suggesting we should just forfeit the match against France now to save them the inconvenience?

I think we all know that......

Course if we start badly against France, they could slaughter us, but after what happened in Croke Park, I reckon this Irish team's lust for revenge will stand up to France's determination to redeem themselves after last night.

Here is another interesting fact: Ireland haven't beaten France in four years. Undoubtedly, the motivation to win is huge after what happened last March. Also, imagine how great it would be if Ireland knock the French out of the World Cup in their own backyard.
    With all this in mind expect a great performance from the Irish team against France but the French will ultimately prevail. They'll play even better than they did last march. Which, if we are honest, France, if they had taken their early chances in that game, would have gone on to win comprehensively.

• Advertisement
Advertisement