Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Spoiler]Tonight's result: Good or bad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

LFC5Times wrote:
    In fairness France didnt get any chance to show any moves or anything.

They conceded an intercept try and Heymans had a mare.

Argentina got alot of the 50-50 decisions.

France can be the worst team in the world if they want.

They wont ever be that bad again.

They will bring Poitreanud back in and maybe start Chabal.

Good points, but I don't think Argentina got the fifty-fifties, if anything France got away with some rucking on the side.

PS Tony Spreadbury-he shut his mouth! Wonderful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

No, just one bonus point per team available, 1 point for either 4 tries, or loosing by 7 or less but not points for both.

Without sounding rude,do you have that from an official source like the RWC website or IRB,not that i dont believe you,just want to know,as it could be the difference between qualifying and not.

Just the way the AIL works you can get 2 bonus points,i know this is not the AIL ,but you know what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Stev_o wrote:
    Now i know no one will believe me but i knew the Pumas would win during the anthems.

Pff.. I knew well before then :p

The bonus point for France is a bit of a balls.. but leaving our final two group games to one side - it's essential that we get maximum points from Namibia and Georgia and hope that either of them can run the Argies close and stop them from getting a bonus..

Like a previous poster.. I see us losing to France and beating Argentina - so the bonus points are really going to be important.. I don't think there's all that much to worry about..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

nedward wrote:

PS Tony Spreadbury-he shut his mouth! Wonderful!

Ah come Tony is a hilarious ref his west country accent cracks me up just brings a bitta humour to sheer seriousness of the match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

No, just one bonus point per team available, 1 point for either 4 tries, or loosing by 7 or less but not points for both.

If teams finish on the same points it comes down to how each did against each other. Complicated if France beat Ireland, Ireland beat Argentina, and Argentina beat France. It then come down to points difference. IE Racking up a cricket score against the minnows could be the decider.

I stand to be corrected on this but in the Guinness Premiership you can lose by less than 7 while at the same time scoring 4 tries and you get 2 points. I presume the same applies in the World Cup. In addition, it doesn't matter a bolix what tonights result was for us. We haven't even kicked a ball yet, how could our chances be diminished. The initial objective was to beat France and Argentina. That is still the objective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Argies are a 1 trick pony? Garryowen and that's it!

Tense match though. I fear a French resurgence.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/rules/index.html

Surely the official tournament rules would state something about only being able to get 1 bonus point to.

hughchal wrote:
    Argies are a 1 trick pony? Garryowen and that's it!

To be honest i dont think they. They ran alot in the Wales match for the 30 minutes they played. I just think that they knew that the Garryowens were working and they were getting points from them so why change style when your coming off with the points?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭dubal

anyhow, girv has cemented his place after all them garryowens, bet there will be none with him playing

I still wouldnt be entirely convinced by Hernandez at flyhalf- in the 2nd half and as the game went on he seemed a bit tactically naieve kicking alot of possession away but France didnt really take advantage of it.

Think if its close between Ireland and Argie with 20 mins to go,he might cost them with some poor decisions

• Advertisement

If teams finish on the same points it comes down to how each did against each other. Complicated if France beat Ireland, Ireland beat Argentina, and Argentina beat France. It then come down to points difference. IE Racking up a cricket score against the minnows could be the decider.

Well I think it's already been discussed on the forum that there is a possibility of 2 bonus points...
    The following number of Match points will be awarded for each pool phase Match:

Win 4 points
    Draw 2 points
    4 or more tries 1 point
    Loss by 7 points or less 1 point

From here... http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/rules/index.html

Same as the Super 14 point system - where it's possible to get 2 points from a loss..

dubal wrote:
    anyhow, girv has cemented his place after all them garryowens, bet there will be none with him playing

Meh ud be surprised id say they might target trimble for the garry's if they decide he ll be the target for them or if Dempsey starts getting a battering they might fire a few at him you never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

LFC5Times wrote:
    http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/rules/index.html

Surely the official tournament rules would state something about only being able to get 1 bonus point to.
    You might be right there. I think I'll have to backtrack. :o

Certainly seems unfair that a team can lose and still get 2 points, the same as a draw. I can't say I agree with that rule at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

No reason for some of you to be so negative. I thought Argentina looked pretty beatable from our PoV, and I can't see us losing to France by over 7 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

The following number of Match points will be awarded for each pool phase Match:

Win 4 points
    Draw 2 points
    4 or more tries 1 point
    Loss by 7 points or less 1 point

That seems to imply 2 points are possible.
    If at the completion of the pool phase two or more Teams are level on Match points,
    then the following criteria shall be used in the following order until one of the Teams
    can be determined as the higher ranked:

i. The winner of the Match in which the two tied Teams have played each other
    shall be the higher ranked;

ii. The Team which has the best difference between points scored for and points
    scored against in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked;

iii. The Team which has the best difference between tries scored for and tries
    scored against in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked;

iv. The Team which has scored most points in all its pool Matches shall be the
    higher ranked;

v. The Team which has scored most tries in all its pool Matches shall be the
    higher ranked;

vi. Should the tie be unresolved at the conclusion of steps (i) through (v), the Team
    that is higher ranked in the updated Official IRB World Rankings on October 1,

Thought I'd stick this here too...

Could be interesting come the end of the group.

You might be right there. I think I'll have to backtrack. :o

Certainly seems unfair that a team can lose and still get 2 points, the same as a draw. I can't say I agree with that rule at all.

Well i think if they manage to score 4 tries,they surely must be playing good attacking rugby,so arguably deserve a bonus point for pleasing the eye.

The only team i could maybe see score 4 tries and lose by 7 or less and get 2 bonus points is Wales and maybe Ireland.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    No reason for some of you to be so negative. I thought Argentina looked pretty beatable from our PoV, and I can't see us losing to France by over 7 points.

Agreed.. There's not really a whole lot to panic about.. let's just get the maximum 5 points from each of the first two games and see how things pan out..

We'll be grand ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

LFC5Times wrote:
    The only team i could maybe see score 4 tries and lose by 7 or less and get 2 bonus points is Wales and maybe Ireland.
    I'd like to agree with you! It does open up the possibility of us picking up two bonus points against France. Let's go gunning for loadza tries in that game!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭dubal

Stev_o wrote:
    Meh ud be surprised id say they might target trimble for the garry's if they decide he ll be the target for them or if Dempsey starts getting a battering they might fire a few at him you never know

Lets hope shaggy is there then :)

dubal wrote:
    Lets hope shaggy is there then :)

Yeah defiantly he's one of the last players you'd want to give a high ball to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

France talking about the spirit of '98,more like spirit of '02 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It complicates things as far as I can see.

If France won, we had a straight up to win the group match vs France and then either a single match to guarantee first or second vs Argentina. Bonus points probably not coming into it and being a win or die situation.

With Argentina winning and France picking up the bonus point things are more complicated. If we beat France we've a second/first decider versus Argentina which would be fairly straightforward. If we lose to France then bonus points become all important and losing just one in any of the games could get us knocked out. If we lose to France and don't pick up a bonus point then we're going to have to not just beat Argentina but beat them well enough to prevent them getting a bonus point.

Those two kicks being missed by Contepomi might come back to haunt us. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

In all fairness, Argentina weren't convincing though.

It's not as complicated as it seems. To get through we either have to:
    1. Beat France.
    2. Beat Argentina putting 4 tries on them and lose to France by less than 7.
    3. Beat Argentina and put 4 tries on them or lose to France by less than 7 conceding less than 4 tries against them and rack up a bigger score than Argentina and/or France against Georgia and Namibia.
    4. Beat Argentina and put 4 tries on them and lose to France by less than 7 conceding more than 4 tries against them and rack up a bigger score than Argentina and/or France against Georgia and Namibia.

Ok, maybe that is sorta complicated....

EDIT: And yeah, I forgot to include the whole "if Argentina only lose to use by less than 7 points" factor....

All I know is that it's going to be a busy night for the guys writing the rugby columns for tomorrow's papers. :)

JC 2K3 wrote:
    In all fairness, Argentina weren't convincing though.

It's not as complicated as it seems. To get through we either have to:
    1. Beat France.
    2. Beat Argentina putting 4 tries on them and lose to France by less than 7.
    3. Beat Argentina and put 4 tries on them or lose to France by less than 7 conceding less than 4 tries against them and rack up a bigger score than Argentina and/or France against Georgia and Namibia.
    4. Beat Argentina and put 4 tries on them and lose to France by less than 7 conceding more than 4 tries against them and rack up a bigger score than Argentina and/or France against Georgia and Namibia.

Ok, maybe that is sorta complicated....

You forgot to include us beating Namibia and Georgia in those combos ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Its irrelevant. We'll beat them both!!

Its irrelevant. We'll beat them both!!

And will we put up a bonus against both?

Irish Wolf wrote:
    And will we put up a bonus against both?

If we don't we don't deserve to get out of the pool stages tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

if we don't get bonus points against namibia and georgia, then we don't deserve to go into a 1/4 final!

EDIT: beat me to it nesf!

• Advertisement

nesf wrote:
    If we don't we don't deserve to get out of the pool stages tbh.

Indeed - but stranger things have happened - I've no doubt we will, but the opening two matches are not to be written off at any cost..

It's absolutely imperative that we get the bonus points from these matches.

Advertisement