Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio/TV Coverage Comments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Actually I'm just as p!ssed off - missed the Wales game this morning because of it, as well as Scotland this afternoon. Paste in the addresses and your template and I'll do the same :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm annoyed with the lack of games being shown as well and shocked that ITV are not showing some of the Scotland and Wales games too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

I do like Cooper on the radio but not in rugby commentating, I has a great way of cutting into politicans and getting answer but this doesnt work when we want the panelist to debate the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

tv threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

What the hell is going on with Setanta? Not only have they seemingly renaged on their advertised promise of showing ALL 48 games live on Setanta Ireland (with both the Welsh and Scottish games being shown on Setanta 1), but their own website seems unaware of this fact (still advertising all games on SI), and they can't stick to their own schedule (Rugby Nomad is on now, AGAIN, despite the Scottish game scheduled to be shown). And Eircom.net is showing rugby Nomad under the Scotland v Portugal heading.

If it's any consolation they're on Setanta Ireland tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kermitdfrog

GDM wrote:
    If it's any consolation they're on Setanta Ireland tomorrow.

Cheers for the heads up, I'll set the recorder, but at this stage I wouldn't hold my breath on them showing them, despite what their schedule says.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Way Too many comercial breaks on all channels, i mean five minutes of analysis and then cut to a break:rolleyes: give me a break!!

and i hate the way the guy on sentanta keeps glancing to the camera as if to "connect" with the viewer its so.........cheesy and Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i moaned about George Hook , lacking Irish support previously , and being extremly negative -- but God the TV3 panel is so banal and unimaginative its scary , and before you know it there is another TV extended ad break -- bring back George and the boys , all is forgiven --
    and sorry why was Jim Glennon dragged in ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

seabee wrote:
    That was a dirty dig Glennon gave brennan re the fans whistling...

Something along the lines of "We don't all have the bad habits you have Trevor". Gone right off Glennon after that barb.
    I don't mind Cooper on his radio show but he really is a bit too stiff on the t.v., the Pinochet comment gave me a laugh though.

ITV isn't too bad, the Kiwi commentator is enjoyable to listen too, came out with a few good ones during the All Black-Italian game but he did make a mess of naming BOD last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Jip wrote:
    ITV isn't too bad, the Kiwi commentator is enjoyable to listen too, came out with a few good ones during the All Black-Italian game but he did make a mess of naming BOD last night.
    And others. Also made a few comments about things being "not very Irish". The commentator then said something like "They're all professional now" :rolleyes:

The best commentary team is probably Conor McNamara and Philip Matthews on TV3. Matthews is excellent IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Well, when I mean enjoyable I meant it in an amusing cringey kind of way because of the comments he comes out with, not in an insightful way of course !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Watched some of Ire v Nam on UTV until Leamy went on a break and yer man goes "David Leamy!!!", swiftly followed by me changing to Setanta. Is the picture quality that bit worse on TV3 or is it just me? Looks like there's Vaseline on the lense or something.

Can be quite entertaining watching on TV and listening to Newstalk. George whinging on an on "This is the worst performance since Socrates was engaged in ravenous debate with the philistines...." and other verbose crap meanwhile Hugh Cahill is so excited to be commentating live on a World Cup he actually nearly soils himself any time a player even remotely breaks a tackle or even gets beoyond the gain line.

I have to say though Matt Williams is a LEGEND. His summing up of the Argentinian game plan against France as "That full backs a blooday winger so lets drop high balls on 'im then batter the living daylights out of him!" Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

So I'm heading home from work on Friday night to get my ass groove just right for the France v Argie game and as I'm going in the gate of the apartment block where I live who is paying for his Domino's Pizza in all his blazing PINK shirt wonderfulness instead of enjoying a night in gay Paris??

Da bold RYLE NUGENT!

I decide I can't let the moment pass as Ryle officially joins the armchair legions and remark "All set for the match Ryle?" and I get my one and only "Absolutely!!" of this RWC campaign!

PS I was half tempted to invite myself around to watch the game with the sound down. Then at least you'd have the RTE commentary during the game and turn on Newstalk during half time.....:p ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

For the Ire/Nam game last night I was watching on tv3 muted with Newstalk on the radio.
    They were both coming through in sync (no 1-2 sec gap between the two).

There was more fiestyness in the newtalk commentary nand better studio analysis. Though I wonder what has EOS ever done to hook to incur such wrath from George?

Didn't he work with him at Connacht and when Hook started covering rugby for RTE he never missed a chance to take a dig at EOS?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

matt williams , you wonder if he got really excited would he sound like the guy on the harvey norman add what with the way he speaks in such a wide mouthed aussie way
    i enjoyed the banter between the commentator and murray mexted on itv
    very laid back , the comment by mexted on how that doesnt sound like the irish , that sounds logical , mmm , kiwis are a bit backward , there a pretty insular nation and would probably view ireland they way other nations did 50 yrs ago ,

by the way am in the only one who cant bear to listen to sean fitzpatrick
    the kiwi accent is a pretty horrible one but his is almost indesiphable

fitzpatrick is a really arrogant guy , i was in nz a number of yrs ago and while hes a legend its well known that hes not a very nice guy , the summer i spent there he used to do adds on tv for something or other , the set up was him in an airport and a bunch of jappaneese tourists are close by , while flogging whatever it was , fitzpatrick while giving the jappaneese a contemptous look makes a really obnoxious comment , oh yeah and we speak unglish over here , whole thing was in bad taste and a bit ironic considerring i can barely recognise fitzys unglish most of the time

awesome player though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Pinetree Boy

daveirl wrote:

Nothing to do with his one eye Dave. The man is just an idiot. So glad the NZ broadcaster is the opposition to NZ Sky for whom he works.

I quite like the Setanta setup, even Jeremy Staunton was decent. I like the guy (Fred Cogley, I think) who was doing commentary on the Argies/Georgia match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Originally posted by Valentia: If you live down the country and don't have Satellite or UTV you're screwed. TV3 are only showing a handful of gamed.

A valid point, even if you have access to Setanta. I'm in Dundalk and have one of those DTT trial boxes and so can get Setanta Ireland for nowt at the moment. But in many parts, especially the west, TV3 is not even available at all via your standard TV aerial, despite them being 9 years on the air now, so rugby fans who can't/won't get a satellite dish are screwed altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Originally posted by daveirl: You can't get TV3 what a disgrace! Do the BCI not demand they have 99/100% coverage?

They should but they don't. At the original homestead (Westport area) TV3 is actually supplied by the local UHF deflector system thats transmits BBC/ITV/CH4 to the area. So you have the situation that a 'national' Irish TV station is actually distributed by a once illegal form of broadcast platform. Most people seem content with this, so at least you are getting the RWC down there! But for areas unable to do this, its not a very good state of affairs.

daveirl wrote:

Must be him then. With the exception of how he pronounces Donnacha O'Callaghan's last name I think he's very good.:D

can someone tell me if setanta itv is repeating the england south africa match? and what time it is at?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Not sure when but Setanta have repeated all of the matches. If you're near a radio though Newstalk are broadcasting the match tonight.

Just checked Setanta Sports website later tonight Setanta Ireland are repeating it at 23:15 and again at 9:45 tomorrow morning.

awesome. couldn't get he setanta websie to get off tha advertising screen.

being dragged out to dinner by girlfriend.

in limerick for the weekend too. know anwhere good/safe to watch rugby?:p

esit: bloody laptop keybord is giving up the ghost...half the keys wont work unless you hammer them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

the coverage of this world cup in ireland is a complete joke imo - in sure there is a lot of people especially is rural areas that dont pick up utv and dont have setanta - so they miss out on pretty much all the group games as a result - really missing rtes coverage, hook does talk a lot of garbage, but it does make good entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

To be fair, people have known RTE wouldn't have the world cup for well over a year. if they were interested enough they could have done something about it before now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CapalDubh

mikeruurds wrote:
    It's pretty shocking tbh. Surely in any tournament all the results matter as they may affect Irelands future games.

Bad show by RTE.

Maybe because they lost the rights ...they feel it shouldnt exist:eek:

Advertisement