Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio/TV Coverage Comments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    I meant to say Glennon....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

daveirl wrote:

He did seem a little awkward. Well, perhaps he'll grow into the role.
    I enjoy Philip Matthews commentary so i'll be sticking with TV3 for commentary and switching to ITV for the analysis...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

jameshayes wrote:
    I think there is just a bad stigmatism attached to TV3... honestly, I like them... change is good!

A bit maybe, but to be fair their soccer package really is very poor indeed at times. But the initial signs wrt the rugby are pretty good. Will give them a go tonight anyway and see how they get on presenting an actual match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

If you live down the country and don't have Satellite or UTV you're screwed. TV3 are only showing a handful of gamed. Pathetic. Why aren't they showing the whole shabang as the only terrestrial broadcaster??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

jameshayes wrote:
    That annoys me something terrible!! and I think he fancys Paul O Connell and John Hayes...
    George Hook in a munster spitroast...

Now there's an image I could do without.

I'll probably switch between TV3, ITV and TV5 (french language) depending on how annoying the commentary/punditry is.

I agree with Valentia. TV3 showing so few games is a disgrace. If a broadcaster can't/won't show all the games, they shouldn't be allowed the rights.

• Advertisement

Valentia wrote:
    If you live down the country and don't have Satellite or UTV you're screwed. TV3 are only showing a handful of gamed. Pathetic. Why aren't they showing the whole shabang as the only terrestrial broadcaster??
    Because Setanta got the primary Irish rights.

They're showing as many games as they are allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

daveirl wrote:
    I don't know what he was getting at when talking of France's supposed weaknesses.

He said firstly they lacked leaders. Didn't Pelous, Betsen and Ibanez register with him. They have experienced backs like Dominici also. Poor point really.

Then he talked of Michalak as a liability. I think most would agree but is he forgetting that Skrela is almost a definite starter in all their big games?

Dodge wrote:
    Because Setanta got the primary Irish rights.

They're showing as many games as they are allowed

But surely that can't make sense. Setanta are a satellite station (except where they are on cable). That doesn't cover Ireland. Are they considered a national broadcaster? Jazus we have lost the plot if they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

Valentia wrote:
    But surely that can't make sense. Setanta are a satellite station (except where they are on cable). That doesn't cover Ireland. Are they considered a national broadcaster? Jazus we have lost the plot if they are.
    They bought the Irish rights. There's no distinction between terrestial and cable/satellite when it comes to major championships. They're not protected by either law (unlike the All ireland final for example) or by the IRB (unlike FIFA insisting on terrestial coverage of the world cup)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

daveirl wrote:
    I can't imagine Bernard sending Freddie on after 60 mins when a game is still in the balance though.

Dodge wrote:
    They bought the Irish rights. There's no distinction between terrestial and cable/satellite when it comes to major championships. They're not protected by either law (unlike the All ireland final for example) or by the IRB (unlike FIFA insisting on terrestial coverage of the world cup)

Ah! I see. Thanks. So Sky could have bought them so? That's fairly shortsighted on the IRB's part. No budding Mick Galway or Moss Keane dreams for young lads in Kerry so, unless they have satellite. :mad::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Have to say after watching the show last night I was relieved that they werent as bad as I thought they were going to be. Looks like they broke the bank for the rights and have nothing left for a decent studio and graphics.

But fair play to them theyre taking more seriously than their champions league coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

Does anyone know if the France Argentina match is gonna be repeated on tv during the week? Cant get my hands on a recorder... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

I luv listenin to the boys on RTE and I think its an absolute disaster given the world cup to TV3, just watchin the presenter now is fairly cringe worthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Wallace didn't look impressed with Brennan talking across him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

You think so? I think its 100 times better. Cooper i think is much better then McGuirk and also the TV3 analysis team is far better then RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Matt Copper a bad presenter? Must be why half the country listens to him daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cadrach

I think Matt Cooper is doing a pretty good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

Matt Copper is much better than Tom, but i think the analysis team on RTE seem to have more craic. I say with time, people will get used to TV3. TV3 at the moment just seems too prepared

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

On a side note, is TV5 available free to air? Scabby Sky won't let me access TV5, is there such a thing as TV5 Monde?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Brian017

nedward wrote:
    On a side note, is TV5 available free to air? Scabby Sky won't let me access TV5, is there such a thing as TV5 Monde?
    Ch. 799

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

No luck....subscription not good enough...thanks anyway Brian. =)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Brian017

Is repeated tomorrow on Setanta afaik if you have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Just be thankful we're not stuck with ITV alone. I watched the first 3 minutes there and it was England, England, England. Absolutely infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

keano_afc wrote:
    Just be thankful we're not stuck with ITV alone. I watched the first 3 minutes there and it was England, England, England.

Well, I'm shocked. I might have to lie down to take in news of this magnitude.
    I expected them to be talking about Ireland the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

quality opening lines by the TV3 commentator tonight..."this stadium, well its around along time and steeped in history but perhaps never had a game this big!!"
    I'm sure France winning the Football world cup at home in 1998 wasnt that big of a deal...how old is the stadium, 11 years?? it was built for the world cup in 1998 :( They havn't even started a game and they dunno whats going on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭foxtail

pity TV3 broadcast isn't widescreen (on my tv anyway), what a waste. setanta/UTV here we go...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

At least they aired the opening show (which I thought wasnt bad at all).

ITV has that soccer commentator acting as host, really wish we had the RTE boys for this has to be said.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cadrach

Well, I'm shocked. I might have to lie down to take in news of this magnitude.
    I expected them to be talking about Ireland the whole time.

This sarcasm doesn't work. Prior to the opener of the world cup, I would expect the English panel to discuss maybe the favourites - New Zealand, the hosts - France, the other team in action - Argentina, in addition to England.

Advertisement