Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio/TV Coverage Comments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

The emotion all of the players are showing is incredible great passion leads to a great match !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Matt Copper is much better than Tom, but i think the analysis team on RTE seem to have more craic. I say with time, people will get used to TV3. TV3 at the moment just seems too prepared

Yep, its al a bit wooden compared to what we are used to on RTE, maybe they'll relax a bit as the tournament goes on.

I bloody hope ITV can dedicate some of their coverage to not talking about bloody engerland all the time. Why are TV3 showing so few games anyhow, I could live with the wooden commentary if it meant avoiding the engerland crap on ITV.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

anyone think Jim Glennon hates Trevor Brennan? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

The analysts ... can't stand them, except maybe Trev. Commentator is a tosspot, but the co-commentator is decent; can't remember his name.

Not impressed with ITV either...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

And what about talking about the winners of the last world cup and the team that most of their viewers are interested in? Or is that not allowed because it might upset the irish?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Fair play to them - as soon as the game was over, cut straight to the chase - keep cramming those ads in boys!! sher, who's interested in seeing the emotion of one of the biggest results in World Rugby in some time...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of tv3's broadcast, Im now thinking its a pity they are not showing more games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

paulocon wrote:
    Fair play to them - as soon as the game was over, cut straight to the chase - keep cramming those ads in boys!! sher, who's interested in seeing the emotion of one of the biggest results in World Rugby in some time...

Couldn't agree more. In fairness most stations do that now. Pity, it's often the most powerful and emotional bit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

OMG Setanta are talking about ireland after a game they were not playing in. How dare they!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Valentia,

Flicked over to ITV and they let it run for another minute or 90 seconds.. Really annoys me when the ads are run right on the final whistle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Thought their commentators were ok, far superior to Ryle Nugent anyway although they did not know much at least their voices dont make you want to kill yourself. Matt Cooper is completely useless, he is more annoying than Ryle Nugent and more of a plank than Pat Kenny. The analysts were ok without being great, Brennan did not look at his peers when talking to them and I found that rather odd. I want to see Cheika for all the games, add a bit of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Paul Wallace looks comfortable, he's got experience with Sky, Brennan adds to the mix, Cooper is useless as is that other old codger.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

God bless him, Trevor Brennan reminds me of Frank Stapleton off the old Apres Match. He just stares at the camera so stupidly. (Nice beard though)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

That was a dirty dig Glennon gave brennan re the fans whistling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did anyone follow Setantas coverage?

The best way to watch is really any stations picture + bbc five live commentary if you can mix the two.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

I miss Connor O'Shea (I think), that chap really knew his ****. Miss Popey and Hook too, but moreso for the entertainment value. Wallace and Brennan weren't bad at being pundits, Brennan strikes me as a bit of a Graham Souness when it comes to punditry. I liked the co-commentator on TV3 too, but the main lad was a complete goon. Though I'm not sure if Ryle is much better so...

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

Immediate after match ads irritating too. OK in the pub when you're off to the bar but at home you want to soak up the mood of the stadium. Brennan's good craic I reckon. Glennon's a bit of a tool. Stutters and mumbles a lot too, annoying.

And didn't he think Cheika was a Kiwi last night? Scarlet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

I think Cooper and Glennon are idiots. Brennan is more my cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quality thread lads. :rolleyes:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Dwilly wrote:
    And didn't he think Cheika was a Kiwi last night? Scarlet!

He did indeed. Noticed that myself.

Thought Brennan did well, and his knowledge of French rugby and their team helped him. He'll get better after this evening. I like Glennon, he doesn't sit on the fence. Can't make my mind up about Wallace. TV3's picture is terrible.

Really missing the RTE panel and coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Terrible faux pas by Cooper calling Augustin "Pinochet" and then rolling his eyes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Let's hope the TV3 curse doesn't strike. The soccer team never did well when TV3 covered them

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭curiosity

Paul Wallace? Is that his actual hair??:rolleyes:

I liked Matt's boo-boo post match; "Now over to the man of the match, Argentinian captain Pinochet!!".:o

I had to listen to newstalk commentary while nipping home at start of 2nd half, god that commentator nearly had a dozen coronaries. I listened to it for the crack while watching at home, he'll never see the end of the tournament if we have a few tight ones against Argentina and France!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

Coopers good on radio, different kettle of fish for TV, he hasent the confidence or the gift for the gab like Tom, all the analysts are the same and together they just dont have the chemistry of the RTE lads. And I feicin well hate the fact that TV3 paid for the rights and then they dont even show the majority of the games. Also tonight Cooper said "for the first half in Stad Prancais", just made me giggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

lol at Glennon saying to brennan "well its a good job he doesnt have the same regard for referee as you do" or some such... i thought was funny, esp as brennan: cue beetroot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

It's repeated on Setanta at 10.30am today (in about seven minutes) and Monday morning I think.

I made the mistake of trying to watch the match on TV3 (Eastenders in my house takes preference over even the RWC so I couldn't watch Setanta) and listen to the newstalk commentary.

I had to switch the radio off after about twenty minutes. They're coverage was good but their was a time lag between what I was watching and what they commentated on that just got too annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Completely disagree with the mainly positive feedback so far, Matt Cooper does not seem to have a clue, and in fairness a jack of all trades approach is very effective on a current affairs radio programme, but not so useful for in depth coverage of the RWC. He also cut across Trevor a few times, and tbh with his experience of french rugby(and ergo most of the argentinian players) he was the man to be listening to last night.

• Advertisement

I thought he had to cut across Trevor, he's the main host (similar to the way McGurk does on RTE) so has to set up cues for ad breaks and such. Trevor seemed to want to run the show, he cut across Paul Wallace a good few times for no reason other than to hear himself speak. Hopefully opening night gitters and everyone will calm down soon.

Advertisement