Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R4DS starter pack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

4gb Micro SD on SVP: £23.99 - Expensive enough (compared to regular SD), but you'd get it by the end of the week..

http://svp.co.uk/product/integral_4gb_micro_sdhc_memory_card_(class_4)_2239

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭georgie59

Hi any one replaced the shell on a ds lite????
    Hinge broke on one of ours and hate the thought of buying anew one when it still works fine just he hinge is broke (just like the pic on witnessmenow's messages)
    Also where do you get htem on dealextreme only have pink and as the ds belongs to a 9 yearold boy wouldn't go down to well

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Hey all, does this seem like reasonable value?

http://www.volumerate.com/details.vr/sku.1459

50 USD = ~40 E

after p&p, shouldn't be more than 50 E

Also, I'll need to cater for both versions of the DS (Vanilla and Lite)

It seems to me that R4DS should be what I'm after? I'm a little confused about the purpose of the GBA slot cards I've seen, plus it strikes me that they won't fit in the old style DS. The fact that they all seem to be black while my Lite is white is a minor annoyance too :P

Cheers, I look forward to checking out your downloadable tutorials soon too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

georgie59 wrote: »
    Hi any one replaced the shell on a ds lite????
    Hinge broke on one of ours and hate the thought of buying anew one when it still works fine just he hinge is broke (just like the pic on witnessmenow's messages)
    Also where do you get htem on dealextreme only have pink and as the ds belongs to a 9 yearold boy wouldn't go down to well

Heres a link to black one

Heres a link to the white one

I'm about to try it in a few weeks, i'll let you know!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Hey all, does this seem like reasonable value?

http://www.volumerate.com/details.vr/sku.1459

50 USD = ~40 E

after p&p, shouldn't be more than 50 E

To be honest 1GB is a little small. I have one 2GB card and its full already. ROMS vary in size from 16 megs for the puzzle types to 128megs for the more complete game package - and you have to leave room for your moonshell and save game files too. All this is assuming you dont venture into music/video playback - which is handy.

Try to get the 2GB - I'm already shopping around for an extra card. But the trouble is they are so friggin small I'm going to be terrified of losing one when I'm using two..

http://www.volumerate.com/details.vr/sku.1897

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

But the trouble is they are so friggin small I'm going to be terrified of losing one when I'm using two..

]

Yep, I've been using two 1gbs for about a year now. Bugger all space. I'd love a 4gb.

Amazingly, I haven't lost either of them. When I'm not using one, it goes inside an SD adapter inside one of those clam shell cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Hey all,

First off thanks again for the starter pack witnessmenow, have it on my r4 for a few months now. Just wondering will it work on an M3 real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Does anyone know where I can get a R4DS + microSD card in time for Christmas?

mise wrote: »
    Hey all,

First off thanks again for the starter pack witnessmenow, have it on my r4 for a few months now. Just wondering will it work on an M3 real?

You're welcome!!
    going through the list on here

Here's what i think will/will not work:

1. Firmware - Well the r4s firmware isn't going to work on a M3!
    2.DLDI patching tool -Patching tool itself will work , you'll need a diffrent patch than my included one for the R4, you can find it here
    3. DS Emulator - is for the Pc
    4. Video conversion -If you have moonshell media player it should be the exact same.
    5. Emulators - Should work the same
    and i doubt the rest will work.

@dublindude: Check gameyeeeah.com (site is currently down i think) , if you use there DHL option they should be here in 3-4 working days

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Witnessmenow I see your sig has been hijacked by the mods.

No running, no hiding, no escape.

It begs the question tho - there's nothing on your site that isn't spread across this thread or would be if asked and not related to downloading pirated games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Thanks witness, hoping this works as well as my R4..

Thanks ShiverinEskimo and o1s1n, comments noted and appreciated. I hadn't even noticed the 2GB package, that's probably what I'll go for.

it was removed due to complaints but i've edited the site and i've been given permission to put it back up, I'm just going to finish it 100% before i put a link in my sig again. Should have it done in the next few weeks

If anyone wants to recommend any homebrew games or applications please do. Any if anyone has any suggestions on what should and should not be there please let me know

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I do think people need to be more careful by making a definite point not to mention roms or any illegal material. r4's do have a lot of legitimate uses and I really would hate for this thread or other related ones to be taken down because of that. Remember, it's all about the homebrew ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

o1s1n wrote: »
    I do think people need to be more careful by making a definite point not to mention roms or any illegal material. r4's do have a lot of legitimate uses and I really would hate for this thread or other related ones to be taken down because of that. Remember, it's all about the homebrew ;)

Indeed... the homebrew. :cool:

Ah yes. Point noted. Unfortunately however, I seem to have lost my edit button... Is there a time limit on editing that I'm not aware of?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,010 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've editted your post. With a 3V card so readily available you have no excuse not to be able to get your hand son new japanese games from places like playasia.

Are there any better emulators than the SNES one included in the starter pack? I have been using the one provided and the graphics always come out a bit wonky. Anyone experience this problem also?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,010 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Better off just emulating 8-bit games. SNES emulation is always tough and we probably won't see a fully functioning emulator for a good while if ever.

What games are trying daith? Any game i tried the video was grand, audio wasnt 100% but not bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Wow, I've had an R4 cartridge for a while now and didnt realise the things I could do. My mp3 player was stolen off me there a couple of weeks ago and I've just put some music onto my ds now with the guidance of this thread. Thanks a million!! I'm thrilled :D

What games are trying daith? Any game i tried the video was grand, audio wasnt 100% but not bad

Super Mario World - For some reason Mario runs behind the background
    Shadowrun - Same kind of problem, and faces are distorted in chat

There are others but im too tired to remember, funnily enough the sound is perfect on those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 riverrock

I didn't bother to read the charter.

Your first post is to recommend a software that costs €50, you might wanna be careful... some might view you as somebody promoting said software!

BTW: I'll be releasing an updated starter pack in a few weeks

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Just after scanning through this thread lads, were can the r4ds be got?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

There's a huge thread in the bargains forum, on this very subject..
    Skip to the last few posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭kevin216

I wonder will R4 cards work on the new type DS's

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You mean DS Lites, or the new colour DS lites? It'll work with both.

A new model was rumoured a few months ago, but its not confirmed, and is many months away from market if it exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭aonoco

Evening, some great tips on the thread

just received a ds fire card from deal extreme...excellent, no messing around with memory cards as comes with 2gb built in

only thing cannot seem to get working is a web browser..downloaded oprea but asks me for rumble pack...any ideas of a good browser which does not require rumble pack?

• Advertisement

Hi,

You might want edit and re-word your post, talking about downloading games is a no no here. The problem your having is that when you buy the web browser in shops it comes with a ram expansion that goes into you GBA slot, the browser will not work without it. Dealextreme have this thing that has that ram expansion built into it. I don't own it but o1s1n here swears by it! I probably will get one soon though. There is a strong possibility you wont be able to use the GBA rom feature of it though (i'm not to sure how it work, maybe someone else can advise on this?)

As for other browsers, Ds organize has a built in web browser thats pretty decent(its fairly slow but it works alright). I don't know much about your card but according to Dealextremes site your card should auto patch homebrew files so if any instructions you read for installing it say something about DLDI patching ignore it. But then again it also says that DS Organize comes installed already , but i dont think thats true!

Advertisement