Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R4DS starter pack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,690 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The spring finally broke on my own r4 about three weeks ago or so. I opened it up, broke off the metal tab and now whenever I insert the sd while the r4 is upside down it'll lock in properly. yay :D

The 3 in 1 rumble pack is easy to get going. Just turn the rumble on, restart your ds and select a game with that feature. Metroid for example. To be honest though, it's more annoying than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Ok im gonna buy this but could someone confirm im getting the right gear here?

http://www.volumerate.com/details.vr/sku.1897

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

quite simply... yes!!

quite simply... yes!!

Thanks! Woo hoo, on the way!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fecking EZflash. Nobody said it was made only for a DS lite. It won't fit in a DS phat cartridge slot. Going to have to ruin my DS tonight and go at it with a saw :(

• Advertisement

Hey retro,

I've heard that the insides of the EZ flash will fit inside a regular Advandce game cart. cant remember where i read this, try looking for it

EDIT: Also you'd much better off sawing the cart not the DS!

Master of the Universe

Hey retro,

I've heard that the insides of the EZ flash will fit inside a regular Advandce game cart. cant remember where i read this, try looking for it

!

That's what I initially tried. Didn't work. There's a lot in that EZ flash. Plus it seems to be soldered to the case. Easier to just modify the casing.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Fecking EZflash. Nobody said it was made only for a DS lite. It won't fit in a DS phat cartridge slot. Going to have to ruin my DS tonight and go at it with a saw :(

Wah! Don't modify your DS! Modify the Ezflash. It's easy to do. Did it myself with my sisters phat. You just have to break the plastic tab off and hack a bit of the casing away with a knife. Sounds drastic but it's not really.

The only problem though is that once it's in, good luck to you getting it out again. There's no real need to though seeing as it's a ram expansion, runs games and a rumble all in one. Plus it's a DS phat. So it's not like it's worth anything ;)

or..

Get a damn DS lite! The phat's screen colour washout and dimness is a joke. Games just don't look how they should.

Maybe we all cant afford Lites!! I'm old school man i bought my ds when it got launched! There is no denying that lites are better but its not wirth the extra money for me personally, although i'm trying to source a broken one to fix up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bought 2 of the springless replacement cards only $2.50 each
    You have two?

5 R4s in total and 8 Ds`s 3 (hinge broken) old and 5 lites (4 of them are from santy so ssshhhhh)

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »

5 R4s in total and 8 Ds`s 3 (hinge broken) old and 5 lites (4 of them are from santy so ssshhhhh)

kdjac

Hardly lookin to sell one of the broken ones are ya? reply here if you are

cheers!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Maybe we all cant afford Lites!! I'm old school man i bought my ds when it got launched! There is no denying that lites are better but its not wirth the extra money for me personally, although i'm trying to source a broken one to fix up

I never understand why people would buy the first generation of a Nintendo hand held. If the Gameboy advance thought us anything, it was to bloody well wait a while :D

Lites aren't just a bit better...they're so superior that it's like a new console. But yeah, I can imagine why you wouldn't want to buy one after spending €150 on a phat. Still can't convince my sister to buy one either.

KdjaCL wrote: »

I think I'll be doing the same.

although i do think that its a major improvement! Size, weight , screen and stylus! but there all superficial really, there all prosthetic, lets face it you dont play ds for its graphics! gameplay is still the same on either!

Now all said and done if someone was to offer me a lite for my phat +€20 i'd take it with out thinking!

Master of the Universe

although i do think that its a major improvement! Size, weight , screen and stylus! but there all superficial really, there all prosthetic, lets face it you dont play ds for its graphics! gameplay is still the same on either!

Now all said and done if someone was to offer me a lite for my phat +€20 i'd take it with out thinking!

Gameplay is improved with the lite as you can actually see the games now. :p
    It has four levels of brightness. And doesn't wash the colours out at all.

Have you done a side by side comparison of the screens? The difference is huge. All the other reasons for upgrading to a lite are cosmetic, yes. But the screen brightness really is a necessity.

nintendo_ds_ds_vs_lite_iso.jpg

Anyway, In a bid to save this great thread from going totally off topic, I'll now shut up!

match set and point o1s1n! maybe the phat is better for your eyes....:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    The only problem though is that once it's in, good luck to you getting it out again.

Thats the problem since I have a load of GBA games that I can't transfer save data off. I would also like to play Boktai 1 and 2 and they aren't playable on the ezflash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

But o1s1n, in that pic the Lite is coming 2nd. :(

I ordered the R4 from dealextreme and recieved a message from a company called volumerate with an order number. But when i try to access their tracking system the page wont respond. Anyone else have this problem?

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Thats the problem since I have a load of GBA games that I can't transfer save data off. I would also like to play Boktai 1 and 2 and they aren't playable on the ezflash.

Do you not have an SP or Micro to play those games on? Hmm. Bit of a dilemma alright. I suppose, you'll just have to figure out which is the better option, Boktai 1 & 2 and your saves, or more or less every other GBA game in existence.

Or you could always try to fashion some type device which would let you pull the cart out. Piece of wire through the casing with enough coming out that you could grab. All sounds like a lot of hassle really. Probably just easier to buy a Micro :)
    But o1s1n, in that pic the Lite is coming 2nd. :(

Haha! the one downfall of the lite...you get so sidetracked by it's beauty that it effects your playing abilities :(

I have the GBA with the Black Hole screen (no light escapes from it). F*ck it the DS is getting hacked.

Master of the Universe

Have one of them myself. Installed an afterburner type light on it. It still looks crap :mad:

Good luck with the mod! Post up some pics if you get a chance.

• Advertisement

I'm sure you know more than me about the workings of a ds but if i could offer a bit of advice be careful modding the ds because if memory serves me right(dont have ds with me) the mic is located where you want to hack. Your prob best of taking the bottom case off and doing it. Big DS is easy enough to take it apart if you have the right screw drivers. If you need any info on talking it part sure just drop me a line... But i've a funny feeling you've done it before!:)

o1s1n wrote: »
    Good luck with the mod! Post up some pics if you get a chance.

It's not going to be pretty. You should see my mod for getting a western digital hard disk working with a PS2 network adapter. Not very subtle or pretty but effective. All I really need to do is cut back the plastic over the DS Slot-2 cartridge slot. I have a feeling it will be a bit difficult since there isn't much clearance in the cartridge slot.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I've been playing around with getting a GBA Rom to work with the R4 + EZ Flash 3-in-1 combo.

This repacks GBA Roms as .nds Roms so you can run them straight from the R4 menu without having to play around with flashing to NOR Ram and such to get it to run. It takes a little time to load but i've found it such a streamlined way to run the GBA Roms.

I found it through a tutorial video on youtube - the guys annoying but its easy to follow his instructions.

Overall it works a dream. The only grey area is in relation to saves - when you run the repacked rom as normal it asks you if you want to create a save so I think it also avoids having to worry about where your sav is and having to rewrite it to the R4s memory. I've not been playing too long so I've yet to hit the problems that will reveal the solutions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Fony Tenton

Got mine today,although any mp3s i put on the volume seems to be really low,is this a problem for anyone else??

Master of the Universe

This repacks GBA Roms as .nds Roms so you can run them straight from the R4 menu without having to play around with flashing to NOR Ram and such to get it to run. It takes a little time to load but i've found it such a streamlined way to run the GBA Roms.

That nsdstation is great! I was getting sick of going through the 3 in 1 program. Saves work fine too. You just patch the GBA file on your computer, run it on your ds and that's it. nothing else needed.

I did that modification on my DS, will post pictures whenever I get a camera. EZflash is working a charm and I can take it out of the DS so don't lose my Fire Emblem progress. I've been using NDSstation 1.1 as well and it works perfect. Really enjoying playing the rare but brilliant GBA games I could never find. Gradius Generations and Ninja Five-O are absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

what's the best place to buy one of these or an m3? I also heard the cyclo ds is the business and can use the high capacity micro sd cards.... anyone heard anythin on these or where to get em?

Just got my R4DS. So, so brilliant, it really enhances the old device doesnt it? Thanks a lot for setting that site up, it was really helpful in setting the R4 up. Keep up the good work!

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    what's the best place to buy one of these or an m3? I also heard the cyclo ds is the business and can use the high capacity micro sd cards.... anyone heard anythin on these or where to get em?

Deal extreme is your best bet that I know of. It may take a while to arrive since the post from Hong Kong is dodgy at the moment.

• Advertisement

+ 1 for dealextreame.com . You prob wont get it time for Christmas though.

Dont know about the cyclone, never used one. The only thing about high capacity micro sd is that they probably cost a fortune, well more than multible regular micro sd cards(although i could be wrong)

Advertisement