Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R4DS starter pack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Outstanding work, witness... cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nice work! I'll be sure to direct any newbies to that file.

Oh, another important program, (If you included it, apologies) a rom trimmer! Using it allows you to fit quite a few more games onto a card.

When people originally dumped the game images to their computers, they also included the unused dead space which was on the card too.

Rom trimmers get rid of all that empty space.

cuts the size of most games down quite a bit. I fit about 3 or 4 more extra games on to a 1gb card with the space I've saved.

Bit late now I know...but I'm sure you can include it in your next release ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/?3wgej4xcjzx

Just highlight the file you want to trim and the it'll output the trimmed file with _trim on the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

o1s1n wrote:
    Nice work! I'll be sure to direct any newbies to that file.

Oh, another important program, (If you included it, apologies) a rom trimmer! Using it allows you to fit quite a few more games onto a card.

When people originally dumped the game images to their computers, they also included the unused space which was on the card too.

Rom trimmers get rid of all that empty space.

cuts the size of most games down quite a bit.

Bit late now I know...but I'm sure you can include it in your next release ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/?3wgej4xcjzx

:rolleyes: Ah well, at least it will give me a reason to do a next one! I will include it in the next one but for now use o1s1n link or else its on the R4 website or its on the mini cd that came with the R4. Unless something big and new comes out i cant see me making another one of these for quite a while! My next plan is to maybe make better tutorials, online ones with pictures included. Was also considering a video tutorial or two, but to be honest theres loads of them on youtube so i prob wont bother! If anyone is having trouble with rapidshare let me know.. i can prob host the file on google pages but theres quite a low traffic allowance so i don't want it to be the main source.

On another note...Did anyone get videos to work? My computer doesn't even try convert it!

Anyone have any comments on the readmes or such?

Master of the Universe

:rolleyes: Indeed. It was one of those obvious things I completely forgot about.

I have videos working myself (Usually throw a couple of Simpsons or Family Guy eps onto a card in case of boredom) using that version of batchDPG so it should be fine.

Anyway, just going through your readme files and they all seem to be in order.

Once again, nice work! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

For a ROM Trimmer I use http://techsuki.net/nintendo-ds-rom-trimmer/ it's quite fast and easy to use, main advantage over the R4 one is batch prossesing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Word of warning for those considering ordering from gameyeeah - don't...

I ordered 1 r4ds from dealextreme and 1 from gameyeeah. Dealextreme were excellent - no problems whatsoever.

Firstly, gameyeeah sent me my shipping notification. When the package finally arrived, the postage from the franking machine was 8 days after the shipping notification - in other words, it never shipped when they said it did.

The R4DS from gameyeeah was quite obviously second-hand or possibly a repaired one. It had heavy scratching on the microSD USB adapter, scratching on the cartridge itself (from inserting/removing from NDS), and also label wear at the point where someone would be trying to remove the card, and plastic peeling back.

I contacted gameyeeah, and was told that I have to send it back. Checked out the price of registered post to China for a package - _not_ cheap (registered, as I dont trust them now). As I paid by credit card, and I know that I am entitled to return shipping costs refund, I pointed this out to them. They are refusing to cover the return shipping costs of the r4ds. Nothing left now but to contact the bank and raise an issue with the transaction...

Buyer beware...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr Soft

excellent work from the OP, finally managed to get the Snes games going after checking out the pack. cheers

its great to be back playing NBA JAM TE!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭konline

Great job, Witnessmenow. I really appreciate for sharing the NDS stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭kevin216

nice job, Witnessmenow this is going to save me a lot of money
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

Here's a megaupload mirror for people who can't access Rapidshare.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G60SHH65

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Slightly OT, but I seem to remember seeing something about a button sequence that was basically ctrl-alt-del for the R4DS, to reset you back to the main menu.

Did I imagine it, or can anyone tell me what it is?

Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

a+b+x+y+l+r

Master of the Universe

subway wrote:
    a+b+x+y+l+r

Plus you have to make sure soft reset is switched on. It's a small red/green button in the top right corner of the r4 menu.

a+b+x+y+l+r

Thats news to me cheers!! Have finally got my ds fixed and up and running (it was the ribbon cable between the top and bottom not the screen as i previously mentioned!) so ill be able to give this thread and the homebrew one a bit more attention!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Cool. Thanks Oisín and Subway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I ordered one from dx last week and it arrived yesterday,excellent so far and many thanks for the uploaded tutorials ect

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Slightly OT: Has anyone used a G6 real? http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/nds-g6r16 Its similar to the R4 but no extra microSD card is needed since it has its own on board memory. This also cuts out possible compatibility issues on the R4 as the cards may not be fast enough. If anyone has tried both, which would you recommend?

I haven't tried the G6 but i've ordered 7 of these from dealextreme and none of them have had any problems with anything! I know it doesn't answer your question really but taught it might help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I've tried r4, m3 and ds real. In my opinion, the g6 real is the best. No messing with sd cards, perfect compatibility and download play. Although i'm now tempted to try the cyclo ds!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I bought a DS Fire card(Slot1) last week and it works a treat--identical to the M3.It has 1gb onboard and no patching of roms for them to work-Unlike the Supercard (slot2) that I had.

Theres a second one for sale on adverts at the minute--definately worth the 40 euros asking price.

• Advertisement

Just to give you an update on what i'm up to in relation to this thing im in the middle of putting together a website for this. Its not finished yet but it shouldn't be too long. It'll probably be completely finished in about a week, i hope!
    You can check it out if you want r4starterpack.googlepages.com

there is a good few links that go no where but i'm constantly adding to it

As always comments appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

can u changes themes when IN DS? latest r4 update has lots of theme folders

yeah , just press select at the main R4 menu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭kevin216

this is so handy . i know what i'm getting people for Xmas:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Got my R4 a while ago and I'm flying with it thanks to the starter pack and included info. Cheers lads - good of ye to make the effort. I'm loving the R4. Watched an ep of My Name is Earl on the bus with it the other day. Chuffed.

Speaking of video playback - is there any way to fast forward/rewind a clip. I tipped the R button by accident or something and it jumped back to the start - I had to watch the whole ep aghain to see the end because I couldn't skip through...any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Im just gonna subscribe to this thread.

I'm not sure about video playback, i never got it to work! Never tried to hard either now! If you do find out will you post back so i can include it in the next one.

Don't be expecting much from this thread over the next 2-3 weeks (damn i hate exams!)

As i cant go back and edit my first post everytime i include new things (and i dont want to bother the mods with it either) i kinda moved everything to my website(link in my sig). As i've said loads of times its not finished but there is a decent amount of info on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Spring broke in both my r4s, pain in the ass tbh.

kdjac

the new R4 cards don't have springs in them. Although for some reason i prefer the spring!

you can kinda get around the spring problem though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ55fcLbLqE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ5mIO73ieA&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Spring broke in both my r4s, pain in the ass tbh.

kdjac

You have two?

I've just bought mine so the spring isn't a feature of my life.

I played around with the video playback a little more. Doesn't seem to be any way to control the video playback which is unfortunate. I can hardly complain though given it was never made for video playback. Information about playback is limited online - I couldn't find anything specific giving info about it or how to use it best etc. Seems its a case of everyone being a bit of a pioneer in discovering stuff about media playback.

On a good note I bought an EZ Flash 3-in-1 and so far have got the browser to run no problem. Its slow but its a bonus. I'm looking at getting the rumble to work now too but the info on that is limited. Enjoying having this little project though. :)

Advertisement