Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

trasla7 wrote: »
    where do i buy the "original legislation" that i can bring into the exams e.g succession acts?

cheers

Government publications office:

Sun Alliance House
    Moleswoth Street
    Dublin 2
    (01) 6793513

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Im seriously struggling with EU also, have no idea how to go about it, I just dont seem to retain any of it and cant do the Q's any tips? I seem to be more confused after a lecture.

Whats everyone covering for property?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭corkgirl88

Im seriously struggling with EU also, have no idea how to go about it, I just dont seem to retain any of it and cant do the Q's any tips? I seem to be more confused after a lecture.

Whats everyone covering for property?

I found that doing the problem questions for EU was a huge help.If you look back through the papers you will notice that alot of the questions are really similar and the examiner has putsome identical questions from previous years on the paper.

By doing the exam questions you will start to learn the key cases the examiner is looking for. Stick at it and hopefully it will help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 BroadwayBound

I'm currently taking the Independent Colleges course and my contract exam grid is blank. Anyone else having the same problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fe1manuals

Hi, I’m offering grinds in the following subjects for the FE1’s:
    - EU Law
    - Criminal Law
    - Equity & Trusts

I’m based in Limerick and the rate is €25 per hour.

If you're interested please PM me.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 -splatto-

Hi, i'm looking for the property and criminal exam grid and would really appreciate if someone could send it on to me,I have the Equity and Tort Grid if people want it either...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

Instead of phrasing the question what are people doing for Company, it's probably more apt to ask what are people leaving out?! Any tips or insights would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 lablab

i have said this before here but eu is a mare to me! does anyone else find the griffith manual virtually impenetrable?

is the ind col manual easier to follow? how long is it?

is it worth my while getting one to use alongside my griffith manual?

tks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 adele1

Hi all,

hope the study is going half well at least!! Finding EU really tough going.

Could any one tell me the topics asked in the last EU paper?

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

I'm currently taking the Independent Colleges course and my contract exam grid is blank. Anyone else having the same problem?

Just clicked onto there and it seems fine.. Try opening it in another tab?

• Advertisement

MoneyMilo wrote: »
    Just clicked onto there and it seems fine.. Try opening it in another tab?

My grid lists the topics and years but nothing is filled in inside the grid itself! Just to clarify before I email Siobhan, your grid is fully filled in? Thanks for the reply:)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

My grid lists the topics and years but nothing is filled in inside the grid itself! Just to clarify before I email Siobhan, your grid is fully filled in? Thanks for the reply:)

There is just a black dot in each space corresponding to a subject in a given year.

MoneyMilo wrote: »
    There is just a black dot in each space corresponding to a subject in a given year.

Very strange! Thanks for your help I'll have to email :)

That happened to me last sitting, I emailed and told them and they sent me another copy that was blank, so I figure it must be something to do with the computer program not being compatible with whatever they use.

How's study going for you all? I think I may end up dropping EU its such a disaster!!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭glengirlie

Sitting company this sitting (against my will) as I need a 4th subject along with Const, Contract and Criminal and I am just wondering is there like any chance of a (hopefully short) list of must do topics for Company??? Eeeks, only a few weeks to go :( Hope everyone's study is going well :D

Just wondering if its firms hold it against u if u dont get ur fe1s in 2 or 3 sittings?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Just wondering if its firms hold it against u if u dont get ur fe1s in 2 or 3 sittings?

Hey frustrated TC, do you mean which firms hold it against you if you don't get ur Fe1s in 2 to 3 sittings? It takes many people more than 1 go to get the first four, then after that people might decide to do 1 at at time especially if they are working FT. You don't have to state how many goes it took to get the FE1s on a CV or application form surely. It took me more than 1 go to get the first four, so I am biased here, but I think someone who has the cohones to go back and redo the exams until they get them shows tenacity and real determination to be a solicitor:D

If you are asked at interview stage about the number of sittings it took, then you would have to be honest at that stage, but there is nothing in the Law Society regs that state you have to get all 8 FE1s in one go, which is a mercy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭glengirlie

Does anyone have a Company Law Exam Grid which they could email to me? I can offer a contract one in return? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 larryloffy

I have grids for EQUITY CRIMINAL & CONTRACT

I've no problem emailing them on to whoever wants them but I could REALLY do with any grids/sample answers for TORT & COMPANY law pleaseeeeeeee as I'm f****** :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 larryloffy

-splatto- wrote: »
    Hi, i'm looking for the property and criminal exam grid and would really appreciate if someone could send it on to me,I have the Equity and Tort Grid if people want it either...

I can give you criminal grid for a tort grid??? I possibly have property one too as I sat it in march but cant find where I saved it online..... email me at farl02@hotmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭steph86

Hi, can someone explain foss v harbottle to me, i've completly confused myself. from what i can see is that only a company can take actions against wrongs commited against the company. exceptions to this however are fraud, special resolution, ultra vires. where these arise minority shareholders can take an action for the wrongs committed against the company. Minority shareholders can also take action where there has been oppression against the company under S.205....

also, what topics are people studying for company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Orla FitzP

October 2009 in constitutional Can anyone tell me the issues in Q6 &7 I just can't seem to get it!
    Picking out all the issues is defo the hardest thing and not leave one out an only then have effectively half an answer??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Orla FitzP

Protection for fathers is based on marriage right? If they get divorced do they lose those family rights under art 41 cuz the marriage is like ended??

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Thumbelina2010

Hey all hope study is going good I'm only starting to get into it. Could anyone email me on an exam grid for Company and Constitutional pretty pretty please and thank you i'd really appreciate it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tribblethrou

corkgirl88 wrote: »
    Im seriously struggling with EU also, have no idea how to go about it, I just dont seem to retain any of it and cant do the Q's any tips?

Try googling eXam techniques. There are some helpful tips blogs and sites out there on approach to exam questions & memory association

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

Hi,

sitting my first four, Constitutional, Contract, Equity and Property and my brain is starting to fry at the moment ;). Anyone else in the same boat? Sitting the first four I mean, as opposed to the brain frying?

I was just doing some constitutional questions this afternoon and was looking at the problem questions on the September's paper as well as cross referencing some posts from March on the paper (this is a bit convoluted, I'm sorry but brain fried) when I found this post quoted below referring to Q4, John's leaky tank.

Before I read the post, I was thinking inviolability of the dwelling, unconstitutionally obtained evidence, strict liability and so on and so forth but this is after wrecking my head. I can't for the life of me see anything in the question that might refer to the SoP or the organs of the government. Please, please help.

Oh and best of luck to anyone studying. Hope yours is going better than mine :)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by glengirlie
    Can anyone tell me what the issues are in question 4 of the Autumn 10 Constitutional paper please?
    Cheers

From GCD sample answer

Role of the Judiciary Kavanagh -v- Government of ireland
    The Executive Kavanagh -v- Government and Horan -v- An Taoiseach, Crotty -v- An Taoiseach and People DPP -v- Finn
    The Legislature Ryan -v- AG, Woods -v- AG, Cahill -v- Sutton and Maher -v- AG
    Rights of the Individual and SOP ie. Norris, LvL, FvC O'Reilly -v- Lmk Corp, Sinott v Min for Ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Exhausted Angie

Hi guys,

Hope the study is going well for u all. It seems to be never ending. I am sitting my first four in October, EU, Company, Equity and Criminal and I am pretty scared to say the least.

Anyway I was just wondering if anybody knows where I could get McCann & Courtney, Companies Acts, 1963 – 2009 and Blackstone’s EC Legislation. I have checked prices online and the Companies Acts is a crazy price.

I would appreciate it if anybody could help with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

Hello all,

Im taking my first four FE1s in October, and began studying from Griffith manuals last week. I have had no choice but to work full-time up until this point and will continue to work weekends up until exams start.

How is everyones study going? Did most people start a long time ago? I feel helpless like im at such a disadvantage :( Although Im finding it very difficult to study more than four hours a day.. brain is fried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭steph86

Hi guys,

Hope the study is going well for u all. It seems to be never ending. I am sitting my first four in October, EU, Company, Equity and Criminal and I am pretty scared to say the least.

Anyway I was just wondering if anybody knows where I could get McCann & Courtney, Companies Acts, 1963 – 2009 and Blackstone’s EC Legislation. I have checked prices online and the Companies Acts is a crazy price.

I would appreciate it if anybody could help with this!

you can order it from bloomsbury professionals, fitzwilliam business centre, 26 upper pembroke street, dublin 2. its 95 euro i think. their telephone no is 01 6373920

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 trasla7

Eyespy wrote: »
    Hi,

sitting my first four, Constitutional, Contract, Equity and Property and my brain is starting to fry at the moment ;). Anyone else in the same boat? Sitting the first four I mean, as opposed to the brain frying?

I was just doing some constitutional questions this afternoon and was looking at the problem questions on the September's paper as well as cross referencing some posts from March on the paper (this is a bit convoluted, I'm sorry but brain fried) when I found this post quoted below referring to Q4, John's leaky tank.

Before I read the post, I was thinking inviolability of the dwelling, unconstitutionally obtained evidence, strict liability and so on and so forth but this is after wrecking my head. I can't for the life of me see anything in the question that might refer to the SoP or the organs of the government. Please, please help.

Oh and best of luck to anyone studying. Hope yours is going better than mine :)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by glengirlie
    Can anyone tell me what the issues are in question 4 of the Autumn 10 Constitutional paper please?
    Cheers

From GCD sample answer

Role of the Judiciary Kavanagh -v- Government of ireland
    The Executive Kavanagh -v- Government and Horan -v- An Taoiseach, Crotty -v- An Taoiseach and People DPP -v- Finn
    The Legislature Ryan -v- AG, Woods -v- AG, Cahill -v- Sutton and Maher -v- AG
    Rights of the Individual and SOP ie. Norris, LvL, FvC O'Reilly -v- Lmk Corp, Sinott v Min for Ed

hey, im doing the same 4 as my first sitting. brain is completely fried too! just finished making notes and will be learning the stuff from next week on. constitutional law is a nightmare. exam reports are no help at all.

in relation to your query above: the person who posted that question must have mixed up spring and autumn 2010. your correct in what you say about q 4 autumn (october 2010) and the gcd sample answer thing relates to spring (april 2010) id imagine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement