Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hero82

Hi all,
    I have a question in relation to qs 4 march 2011 for property!!
    In relation to jim and fran wanting to sell their shares in the property to Tod would this give rise to a discussion in relation to acquisition of an additional interest?If Tod had given his consent to this, does that mean that it destroys the unity of interest and produces a severance?would tod then hold their share of the property as a tenant in common?
    Totally confused!any help would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Hi, was wondering if anyone could explain to me Ulster factors v. Entoglass in the context of corporate authority- has me baffled!!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

234 wrote: »
    JCWylie, "Irish Land Law" (4th ed, 2010)

And don't forget the new edition of Lyall (also published in 2010):D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

hero82 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have a question in relation to qs 4 march 2011 for property!!
    In relation to jim and fran wanting to sell their shares in the property to Tod would this give rise to a discussion in relation to acquisition of an additional interest?If Tod had given his consent to this, does that mean that it destroys the unity of interest and produces a severance?would tod then hold their share of the property as a tenant in common?
    Totally confused!any help would be much appreciated!

Hey, I did this question last week and was similarly confused. I had initially thought that in buying fran and jim's shares, Tod would be 'acquiring an additional interest', but then I thought that it wouldn't qualify for that, as he wouldn't be acquiring an additional interest, but ALL of it,(?), so I didn't really go down that route. I said that it would produce a severance anyway, possibly even if the sale didn't go through, as it was their mutual intention even if they didn't agree on a price.

Out of interest, did you discuss succession in your answer at all? I did but I don't think I should have bothered now...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hero82

MoneyMilo wrote: »
    Hey, I did this question last week and was similarly confused. I had initially thought that in buying fran and jim's shares, Tod would be 'acquiring an additional interest', but then I thought that it wouldn't qualify for that, as he wouldn't be acquiring an additional interest, but ALL of it,(?), so I didn't really go down that route. I said that it would produce a severance anyway, possibly even if the sale didn't go through, as it was their mutual intention even if they didn't agree on a price.

Out of interest, did you discuss succession in your answer at all? I did but I don't think I should have bothered now...

thanks very much for your input.it is a bit of a confusing area alrite. i didnt discuss any succession at all but i suppose you could of mentioned something in a line or 2 as the father left the estate in his will, but given the fact that the examiner puts up 2 full questions on succession i wouldnt have bothered.!thats just my opinion.!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭steph86

Hi hope studying is going well for everyone. Having a prob with some of the questions regarding the separation of powers essay q's. just done Q1 sept 2010 question and it seemed to be very broad. there is only so much you can write in 35 mins. i mainly discussed the 3 branches of the sop and gave examples where for eg the courts will not get involved in the executive function and where they will. My prob is knowing what is relevant and what is not. i did not discuss tribunal etc. Did anyone else struggle with this question??

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mitty87

Just wondering about the procedure in relation to sitting the FE-1s, I have already passed 4 exams - so I am aware that you must pass 3 out of 4 first sitting etc etc etc.

I am also aware that exams passed are vaild for a period of 5 years.

My question is when does the 5 year period start to run? From the rules on the law society website, I gather that it starts once all 8 exams are passed, is this correct?

If this is the case, I think exams can be taken one/two at a time, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

Does anyone have an up to date grid for criminal? I can swap company or constitutional. Also have tort, equity, property and contract pre the last sitting. DANKE :D

*bump*

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

Hey guys

Starting the FE1s in October, going to do Company, Equity, Criminal and Contract. Just got my hands on manuals and starting study tomorrow. Don't suppose anyone would be so kind as to pm me the exam grids?

Pretty please? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Anyone have examiners reports for Constitutional April 2011?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

Hey guys

Starting the FE1s in October, going to do Company, Equity, Criminal and Contract. Just got my hands on manuals and starting study tomorrow. Don't suppose anyone would be so kind as to pm me the exam grids?

Pretty please? :D

Forgot to mention, will pay good money :D

Hey id appreciate any advice on how to approach constitutional?im thinking of dropping it as doing company, eu, and property with it. Im good bit behind and not sure tbh if ive enough time? Any advice appreciated

Hey
    any property people out there? just looking at 72 burdens, under systems of registration, does it basically bind a purchaser for value regardless of whether or not the interest is registered or not? and is it just 3rd party interests covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mirm

Does anyone know where the venue for the exams is for the October sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

mirm wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the venue for the exams is for the October sitting?

I presume its the red cow again no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 adele1

hi all,

I would love an up to date Constitutional and Property Grid??
    can offer notes on other 6 in return?!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 happy_man2010

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what approach and technique people take to study? Do you make notes out or generally prefer to learn directly from the manual? I'm starting to think that making notes is counter productive?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what approach and technique people take to study? Do you make notes out or generally prefer to learn directly from the manual? I'm starting to think that making notes is counter productive?

There's a good study techniques discussion here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62465709&postcount=1652
    (that's my post but it carries on over the next five or so pages in between the other stuff, page 111 onwards)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 happy_man2010

shaneybaby wrote: »
    There's a good study techniques discussion here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62465709&postcount=1652
    (that's my post but it carries on over the next five or so pages in between the other stuff, page 111 onwards)

Thanks a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 TonyMac

I have all teh GCD manuals from 2007. Are any of these any use at now or has the law changed so much that I might as well bin them and start again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 lablab

Thanks a million.

hi guys - having trouble accessing this link - is it still working or is there another link somewhere as I cant get none!!

tks

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

lablab wrote: »
    hi guys - having trouble accessing this link - is it still working or is there another link somewhere as I cant get none!!

tks

it's still working. it's page 111 of this thread (just below this message)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

TonyMac wrote: »
    I have all teh GCD manuals from 2007. Are any of these any use at now or has the law changed so much that I might as well bin them and start again.

Tort (defamation apart), equity, contract, criminal, constitutional & company won't have changed a whole lot, but you will need to refresh your cases.
    EU, Property have changed substantially due to Lisbon and the new land law act.
    I'm using a 2009 IC manual for constitutional with a 2000-edn Casey text book for backup, there isn't a huge difference in that nine-year gap. I have other materials to fill in 2009-2011.
    If you are studying something like mareva injunctions in equity and you know all that's in your 07 manual, then just go to bailii.org and search for Mareva in the IESC and High Court pages. Sort your results by date and you'll know if there has been anything recent. Use the same technique in all subjects and you should be fine.
    I'd recommend the GCD refresher one-day courses too if you can afford to do them, you'll be bang up-to-date after those.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Nang

Just wondering if anyone knows of updates to the Independent Colleges Property Manual since the Winter 2010-2011 one? Not bothered buying the new one if there's only one or two new cases in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

Just a reminder that the closing date for application to sit the FE1s is this Friday 12th August.

Also how many of you include your letter confirming exemptions and how necessary is it to do so. Pretty sure I never have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Hi all,

I did Tort and Property last time so I'd like to get a look at the reports. If anyone has those ones and could send them on to me that'd be great.

I've the EU examiner report from last sitting so can send that in return.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Hey folks, just taking tort and property this time.was going to go with constitutional but i don't have the time.
    was wondering if anyone could pm me an exam grid or, failing that, a hint on what's due in each subject.
    I have manuals/notes for constitutional/property/company/equity/criminal/contract that i could swap.

desperately need the grids so any help appreciated.

Thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭corkgirl88

Is anyone studying from a griffith college 2009/2010 manual for the EQUITY exam.

I bought one last year from someone and didn't end uo doing the exam.
    I am just wondering if it would still be up to date or would there have been to many changes in the area of trusts.

Anyones advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

corkgirl88 wrote: »
    Is anyone studying from a griffith college 2009/2010 manual for the EQUITY exam.

I bought one last year from someone and didn't end uo doing the exam.
    I am just wondering if it would still be up to date or would there have been to many changes in the area of trusts.

Anyones advice would be greatly appreciated.

IMHO you'll be fine with the info in that manual. No significant changes. I passed Equity in April of this year.

JC

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

I need advice from my fellow fe1-ers, I'm thinking about doing one exam in October, maybe Criminal, but I don't know if I'm cutting it fine to do the exam. What would you think, yay or nay?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement