Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

defintiely starting study now.... There is no way I cant get them... I need to know the stuff inside out and backwards!!

so anyone know of a good source for Charities Act and equity other than Wylie's LandLaw...???

Source for Equity? If you mean books, Delaney's textbook, and cases/materials book are probably the definitive Irish books. Hanbury & Martin is a good English one. A GCD or IC manual will reduce it down to the FE1 essentials but I find that I need to read the bigger texts sometimes to understand the concepts properly, and often something that's hard to grasp in one book is more easily expressed in another. In any subject, it's cheap and easy to get a few good texts if you buy on ebay.co.uk after the academic year ends, English students dump their books for pennies. You will get current editions minus one for maybe a fiver, in Equity there will be no significant changes so it's a reasonable tactic. If some phrase or comment from an authoratitive textbook sticks in your mind and you can whack it in to your answers, it's a big score for you, especially in some uncertain area of law.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jaybeeveedub

unfortunately Delany's new book isnt out until the 30th of May... I have her fourth edition, but the
    Charities Act isn't covered.... I know it features in Wylie, but as I already have Lyall, I dont want to fork out just yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Hi all,

I just confirmed with the Law Society that the FE1 results will be posted on Friday May 13th. Plus they will be made available online via www.lawsociety.ie/fe1results. You will need your Law Society ID number.

PG, I will get my 3 this time:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

colonel1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I just confirmed with the Law Society that the FE1 results will be posted on Friday May 13th. Plus they will be made available online via www.lawsociety.ie/fe1results. You will need your Law Society ID number.

Just got this aswell

Friday the 13th..... Dam :p

Hogzy wrote: »
    Just got this aswell

Agreed - what a day to pick - but at least it's faster than the June dates that were being talked about. Maybe it's due to the reduction in candidate numbers...nerves from now to then.

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    Just got this aswell

Hells bells, I never even noticed this, I was so pleased that the results were out in May rather than June. Not a time to be superstitious;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mr Nonar

Hey guys,

Any idea how to approach this question. I am baffled and have an exam on Thurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy began renting a four bed-roomed house with his friends Jennie and Owen in July 2010. They have paid rent on a monthly basis since July. Jennie wanted to run a holistic therapies centre from the downstairs spare room in the house. Owen and Jeremy had no problem with Jennie converting the spare room for this purpose. Jennie took a couple of weeks to install furniture, decorate and stock all her materials. She did this without obtaining the landlord’s consent. Her therapy centre has attracted a good number of clients and they are coming and going to appointments during the day. They park their cars outside on the street to the annoyance of other residents. Jennie’s boyfriend Keith plays drums in the evenings with Jeremy and Owen –they are trying to produce their first album. They gig locally as well. At the moment, they do not have another place to practice and record. The neighbours have complained to the landlord about the noise. Recently, there was a gig played in the house at the weekend; a fight broke out in the street and the neighbours complained the following day.
    In January 2011 the heating system in the house broke down. Jeremy decided to repair it himself as the landlord was away at the time and could not be contacted. While he succeeded in repairing the heating system, he damaged the floorboards while carrying out the repairs to one of the radiators. The landlord now wants to get rid of his tenants.

Advise the landlord.

Mr Nonar wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Any idea how to approach this question. I am baffled and have an exam on Thurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy began renting a four bed-roomed house with his friends Jennie and Owen in July 2010. They have paid rent on a monthly basis since July. Jennie wanted to run a holistic therapies centre from the downstairs spare room in the house. Owen and Jeremy had no problem with Jennie converting the spare room for this purpose. Jennie took a couple of weeks to install furniture, decorate and stock all her materials. She did this without obtaining the landlord’s consent. Her therapy centre has attracted a good number of clients and they are coming and going to appointments during the day. They park their cars outside on the street to the annoyance of other residents. Jennie’s boyfriend Keith plays drums in the evenings with Jeremy and Owen –they are trying to produce their first album. They gig locally as well. At the moment, they do not have another place to practice and record. The neighbours have complained to the landlord about the noise. Recently, there was a gig played in the house at the weekend; a fight broke out in the street and the neighbours complained the following day.
    In January 2011 the heating system in the house broke down. Jeremy decided to repair it himself as the landlord was away at the time and could not be contacted. While he succeeded in repairing the heating system, he damaged the floorboards while carrying out the repairs to one of the radiators. The landlord now wants to get rid of his tenants.

Advise the landlord.

Dear Landlord, if your house is in Limerick, contact the Dundons, if it's in Dublin, Viper Security - cheaper, faster and more thorough than lawyers ;-)

What area of law are you being examined on? There are landlord and tenant issues in that saga, planning Act contraventions, common law nuisance, statutory noise nuisance, etc, you need to say which aspect is being addressed.

JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭skeenan89

colonel1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

what is your law society id number? your exam number? just registered to the law society website but as a member of the public??
    really stressed as i just moved house and im not sure if i will be able to get my posting address changed in time for the results!!

skeenan89 wrote: »
    what is your law society id number? your exam number? just registered to the law society website but as a member of the public??
    really stressed as i just moved house and im not sure if i will be able to get my posting address changed in time for the results!!

According to the email, your law society ID number can be found next to the "Your ref" section on any letter regarding the FE1s that you have received.

• Advertisement

Mr Nonar wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Advise the landlord.

sounds like the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 s.67 and the conditions which must be satisfied for a Landlord to determine the lease....

re: damage all tenants residential or otherwise have a statutory duty to prevent waste...

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

After putting myself through the first batch of exams and almost having a breakdown, I vowed to take Griffith course for next set of FE1s and i sat down to apply last night and I am a bit kerfuffled.

Just asking your opinion on which course delivery would be best for me- I live in Cork (county) but I don't particularly want to travel to the Griffith campus in the city to watch relayed lectures when i could watch the same from comfort of my own home (presumably?). I am not sure what the difference is exactly between the distance course and the online course? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

After putting myself through the first batch of exams and almost having a breakdown, I vowed to take Griffith course for next set of FE1s and i sat down to apply last night and I am a bit kerfuffled.

Just asking your opinion on which course delivery would be best for me- I live in Cork (county) but I don't particularly want to travel to the Griffith campus in the city to watch relayed lectures when i could watch the same from comfort of my own home (presumably?). I am not sure what the difference is exactly between the distance course and the online course? Thanks

Not to advertise but to answer the question; the online course is online in the sense that the lectures are video recorded and posted online, viewable usually within 2-5 mins of each hour of the lecture concluding. We have now nuanced the system so that they are viewable on Ipads, Ipods, Iphones etc. So, yes...the presumption about watching from your home is correct.

As much as I like "real people" in the room, there really isn't a difference so long as you maintain the discipline to allocate the time to watch the classes. Some people prefer the structured discipline of attending but frankly, I think you'd be mad to travel any distance which would add even an hour of time to your day. That's valuable study time and one of the reasons behind the development of the online option. I suppose, the best answer to your question is that of the four prize winners this year who sat with us (contract, equity, crime, tort), each did it online. The EU prize winner from the year before did it mostly from (as I recall) Cambodia when with the UN.

Indeed, the coursework correction system (mentioned above) is now largely online and really, there is little difference between online and onsite these days and certainly not enough difference to waste all that time travelling. Again, a lot depends on how you think you function best as regards studying.

Brian

GCD

• Registered Users Posts: 29 wickerman07

I did the independent colleges online course and found it quite beneficial purely because i was able to pause the video in order to take notes at the more complicated points...it does however mean that each session does take longer.
    Best of luck....they're horrible exams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭steph86

I sat the march sitting of the FE1s and took the griffith on line course. It was great, i watched the lectures during the week and emailed the tutors the homework. they get back to you in 3 days with your mark and a outline what you did wrong and what you did right. You can watch the lectures at any time day or night which if you are working is a great help. I only work part time at the weekends so i had all week to watch lectures etc.
    You really do feel like you are in the class with the lecturers when you are watching it. any questions then you can post it on the forum available with the online services and for an added help i posted on boards too.
    Personally i think you should do it online, save yourself both time and money. :)

have to say im dreading getting the results but at least we now have a set date for them. my first sitting so hopefully i'll get 3/4

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Thanks a million Brian for taking the time to post this- I'll go with the online option I think, beats having to drive to town and get parking etc. Joy!
    Not to advertise but to answer the question; the online course is online in the sense that the lectures are video recorded and posted online, viewable usually within 2-5 mins of each hour of the lecture concluding. We have now nuanced the system so that they are viewable on Ipads, Ipods, Iphones etc. So, yes...the presumption about watching from your home is correct.

As much as I like "real people" in the room, there really isn't a difference so long as you maintain the discipline to allocate the time to watch the classes. Some people prefer the structured discipline of attending but frankly, I think you'd be mad to travel any distance which would add even an hour of time to your day. That's valuable study time and one of the reasons behind the development of the online option. I suppose, the best answer to your question is that of the four prize winners this year who sat with us (contract, equity, crime, tort), each did it online. The EU prize winner from the year before did it mostly from (as I recall) Cambodia when with the UN.

Indeed, the coursework correction system (mentioned above) is now largely online and really, there is little difference between online and onsite these days and certainly not enough difference to waste all that time travelling. Again, a lot depends on how you think you function best as regards studying.

Brian

GCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭JessieJ

sorry to be annoying everybody with silly questions - but could someone please explain to me the importance of A v Governor of Arbour Hill in relation to the rules on locus standi? I dont understand how the rules on LS relate to the retrospective effect of a finding of unconstitutionality :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

JessieJ wrote: »
    sorry to be annoying everybody with silly questions - but could someone please explain to me the importance of A v Governor of Arbour Hill in relation to the rules on locus standi? I dont understand how the rules on LS relate to the retrospective effect of a finding of unconstitutionality :mad::(

CC tried to raised the defence of mistake as to age. A didn't. It was on the basis of the argument that A couldn't rely on CC that the State made arguments as regards standing. It's all set out in the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

What are peoples views on the case note question? Just keep tipping away at it as you study or what? Doesn't seem to be very predictable.

• Advertisement

is there a legal difference between

adverting to a risk : dpp v cagney and mcgrath

and

perceiving a risk : r v. caldwell

and

apprehending a risk : r v. g

lots of cases seem to use perceiving and apprehending and awareness interchangeably but cagney and mcgrath is the only one i've come across that uses "adverting to a risk"

• Registered Users Posts: 14 imtiptop

Hey,

I am looking to buy constitutional,contract and company manuals.

Please Pm me if your selling any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭blathblath

Hey everyone, is anyone else out there sick with the thoughts of Friday?? The fear of seeing 48% is keeping me awake at night!!!! This is my last exam and the thought of not making it to Blackhall in September is horrific eek!

blathblath wrote: »
    Hey everyone, is anyone else out there sick with the thoughts of Friday?? The fear of seeing 48% is keeping me awake at night!!!! This is my last exam and the thought of not making it to Blackhall in September is horrific eek!

yeh i'm feeling the exact same. this is only my first sitting. dnt know what to do if i dont get 3/4. fingers crossed everyone does ok.

also, could anyone tell me, once you have passed all your fe1 is there a certain time frame in which you have to start in blackhall and have secured a training contract??

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

My last one too. Let the nailbiting begin :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fe1sagain

My last exam and supposed to be starting blackhall in September too. I've never been so nervous....haven't failed one yet so hopefully I can scrape through. Was anxious for October results but knew I could always sit a failed exam in March with my last one?!

I can do endless combinations of results that add up to 50% from 5 Qs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭blathblath

fe1sagain wrote: »
    My last exam and supposed to be starting blackhall in September too. I've never been so nervous....haven't failed one yet so hopefully I can scrape through. Was anxious for October results but knew I could always sit a failed exam in March with my last one?!

I can do endless combinations of results that add up to 50% from 5 Qs.

That is exactly how I am spending my days....so awful the whole experience...what result are you awaiting??? I am hoping (so much) to have passed company but very anxious as had only an outline for the 5th.... my first 3 were very good but I am so afraid it's not enough :o anyone out there that passed on 3 good questions before???

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭glengirlie

Dreading Friday so I am, sat 3 the last time and failed them, didnt put much effort into them, but now I put a huge effort into these 3 and I so hope that I get them. I sat the same 3 again. And I got 35 in Const the last time, so hopefully I will get them. I was reasonably happy with them and how they went but maybe I am deluding myself!!! Fingers crossed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Brian010

That is exactly how I am spending my days....so awful the whole experience...what result are you awaiting??? I am hoping (so much) to have passed company but very anxious as had only an outline for the 5th.... my first 3 were very good but I am so afraid it's not enough :o anyone out there that passed on 3 good questions before???

I'm in the same boat! Need to pass company and absolutely crapping it. A friend of mine said he did four fairly average answers and couldn't even attempt a fifth and got 50 in company last time so I'm hopeful!! I took it last year and did three good answers, an awful fourth and don't think I could do a fifth and got 46. I don't get the low pass rate. Is he a hard marker or do people just show up for company as the fourth exam when trying to get their first three FE1s?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

i am ****TING myself, i'm praying terribly hard i got 3/4. I'm really not sure how they went, other than the fact that tort was just a living nightmare for me, so i couldn't imagine passing on 3 q's.

Do people ever pass on 3 q's?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement