Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 3

Options

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

In fairness, that's a point the developers commented on. Everything has been about the combat - he said that's because the narrative parts of the game are difficult to show off. You can't wow somebody with a 30 second story excerpt. He was adamant though the storytelling is as strong as with the previous games.

I can't believe people have an issue with "bloody mess". You faint-hearted philistines!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maximilian wrote: »
    In fairness, that's a point the developers commented on. Everything has been about the combat - he said that's because the narrative parts of the game are difficult to show off. You can't wow somebody with a 30 second story excerpt. He was adamant though the storytelling is as strong as with the previous games.

I can't believe people have an issue with "bloody mess". You faint-hearted philistines!
    I dunno that you can't wow or promote the non-shooty bits. Look at Mass Effect. A large chunk of the promotion for that (in fact, a big part of the hype surrounding it) was the RPG elements; the dialogue trees, characters, the story itself. Fallout 3 though can't seem to let go of the combat, the very last video promotion was dedicated to the weapons & combat. In fact I can only think of one video that demo'ed the RPG / NPC interactions (and that was a feed from the last convention), and it was clearly a total clone of Oblivion.

Oh and I only hate the "bloody mess" perk for the same reasons; there's supposedly dozens of perks, but we have only seen that particular one.

It's nearly show time so we'll see how much depth there really is. I hope it's not going to be a case of DeusEx2 syndrome.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's nearly show time so we'll see how much depth there really is. I hope it's not going to be a case of DeusEx2 syndrome.

God yes - agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Look on the brightside even if the game is awful it will only be 3-4 years till the next elder scrolls game then we can have oblivion with even better swords. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Uh oh.....preview does not look good!

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=201105
    article wrote:
    But beyond that, there are simple questions of quality that it's impossible to avoid: characterless art, cold visuals, wonky animation, weak real-time combat, off-kilter writing. As it stands, Fallout 3 just doesn't feel right, and it will leave many players shivering for warmth in its nuclear winter.

EDIT: CVG preview is much much better..phew!!! :)

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=193691
    CVG wrote:
    The nature of the game means that this was never going to be Operation Flashpoint - and the fact is that I have never had so much fun with a first-person roleplay system: it's better than Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, it's better than Oblivion, I will even go as far as saying (with the caveat that I haven't played enough stealth combat in Fallout 3) that it's better than Deus Ex.

So it looks like Eurogamer may just be miserable for the sake of it, they only got 1 hour with the game but CVG got 5. And the fact you can now place a live grenade in someones pocket has just guaranteed another sale of this game when its released :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Am i correct in saying that no one on this forum likes eurogamer and thinks their reviews are the worst ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Stev_o wrote: »
    Am i correct in saying that no one on this forum likes eurogamer and thinks their reviews are the worst ever?

You are incorrect.
    Eurogamer is just fine and i'd prefer that they'd be critical in their preview rather than the childish hyperbole of CVG.

i mean seriously, when was the last time anyone took CVG seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Only if Dave McCarthy is the reviewer... Bloody eejit!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Far from it; I tend to prefer Eurogamer's reviews & think they're generally a little tougher and more honest than most (compared to, say, ign or gamespot). Having said that, they can come across as being prejudiced & harsh for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I tend to go with Gamespot to get a proper score. It seems they actually go through all the positive and negatives of a game rather the self-indulgent tribe that starts every Eurogamer review. Great site though!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Stev_o wrote:

Nope. I regard them the highest. They are brutally honest and are rarely affected by the hype of a game. Also the captions on the screenshots make me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Nope. I regard them the highest. They are brutally honest and are rarely affected by the hype of a game. Also the captions on the screenshots make me laugh.

Also the recent spate of BETA key givaways have been a good incentive for the otherwise dull eurogamers service, which I joined on day one thinking it'd be the revolution I was apparently waiting for..

Kk that clears things up must have been a different reviewing site that everyone was criticizing for some review on a different thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I can't stand Eurogamer, they come off as impossible to please and then give a ridiculous score to an average game (Halo 3 10/10). Absolutely zero consistency to their review content. I got to GiantBomb.com or AustralianGamer.com for reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I wonder why the previews for Fallout 3 differ so much though. Eurogamer seem to pick holes in the smallest of things and are a bit too PC for my liking ( the comment about Lady Killer perk). They seem intent on slating the game before its released because:

a) They are die hard Fallout fanboys who see the move to FPS as "blasphemous"
    b) They want a bit of controversy

I can't see how CVG could appreciate the demo so much, and then Eurogamer completely trys to bury it. My opinion is that the editor of the Fallout 3 preview on Eurogamer is actually a superficial P.C twat who wants to stir the **** a bit

I can't stand Eurogamer, they come off as impossible to please and then give a ridiculous score to an average game (Halo 3 10/10). Absolutely zero consistency to their review content. I got to GiantBomb.com or AustralianGamer.com for reviews.

Right any review then from them is pure BS after reading that cheers for clearing that up!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Bit of a narrow-minded view if you ask me. Just because one reviewer thought very highly of Halo 3 doesn't make an entire site a fountain of BS.

If they are giving fallout 3 a hard time I think it's a good thing. The bad reviews normally tell you more about the game that you'd want to know then the good reviews anyways. Read their review of Mercs 2 and compare it with others. The other sites dress down the bad points because of the fact that the same sites had previously hyped it up and don't want to go back on themselves - Eurogamer focus on the shortcomings of the developers and genuinely seek to highlight cut corners, poor execution and lazy design - the three fundamental reasons you would not take to a game. If Eurogamer want to give me the harsh view before I shell out up to 60 euro for a game then I'm all for it.

Just because they rate games you hate or slate games you love doesn't make them wrong. Of all the games I've played as a result of their reviews they have more or less got it spot on for me each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

DarkJager wrote: »
    I can't see how CVG could appreciate the demo so much, and then Eurogamer completely trys to bury it. My opinion is that the editor of the Fallout 3 preview on Eurogamer is actually a superficial P.C twat who wants to stir the **** a bit

Most previews of even the ****tiest games is nothing but praise with one or two annoyances thrown in and downplayed. I trust a review like eurogamer more since it actually takes a dig at things they didn't like.
    Right any review then from them is pure BS after reading that cheers for clearing that up!

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/926632.asp
    You have alot of sites to dismiss from now on so.

The other perspective for Eurogamer's attitude is that it gets people talking if they slate Fallout 3 a little, rather than the widespread hype and praise being heaped on it. Look at us now; we're talking about eurogamer and getting people who hadn't been readers interested. Score one for them.

And so what if they gave Halo 3 a perfect 10? I hate the Halo games, but that doesn't stop me reading Eurogamer on the basis of one bias review. Make up your own mind Stev_o and actually read the sites in question.

Getting off topic! So Fallout 3 then ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055384172

Should have posted this here before.

Anyone here for a fallout forum on boards?

• Advertisement

Like I said there, the game's not out yet so best to cool your jets until people get to play it. My enthusiasm has waned a little over the last while having had more concrete evidence of the game.

Fallout 3 went gold, so roll on Oct 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,314 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Most previews of even the ****tiest games is nothing but praise with one or two annoyances thrown in and downplayed. I trust a review like eurogamer more since it actually takes a dig at things they didn't like.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/926632.asp
    You have alot of sites to dismiss from now on so.

Its pretty much the same game though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If they **** this up, theres going to be some major fallout on Bethesda...i'll get my coat.

Kiith wrote: »
    If they **** this up, theres going to be some major fallout on Bethesda...i'll get my coat.
    Fallout (boom boom!) from where? At the end of the day the bottom line is what Bethesda will care about, and between DLC, mod support & patches, they could potentially turn around any initial negative press if they box clever.

Oblivion wasn't exactly universally lauded and had (still does) manys a flaw, but a strong community did wonders.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oblivion wasn't exactly universally lauded and had (still does) manys a flaw, but a strong community did wonders.
    It wasnt? http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/elderscrolls4oblivion?q=oblivion :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Anybody who uses metacritic to prove a point should be shot.
    Or super-sledged in the nuts.

Anybody who uses metacritic to prove a point should be shot.
    Or super-sledged in the nuts.
    I'll go with option 1 thanks.

Also, i've heard a rumour that it may already be leaked to the Compu-Global-Hyper-Mega-Net...any truth to this? Shirley it cant be serious.

In fairness, the user comments is more indicative of the reaction to that game than the hyperbole filled game reviews.

Also, shut up :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think 95 metascore is laudible, anything lower and its a pile of crap.;)

Advertisement