Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 3

Options

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

There's a preview here by Kieron Gillen on Eurogamer

On the one hand I'm still really looking forward to it. eg.
    ...any game which starts you between your mother's legs, looking up at your dad, and being able to bawl by pressing a button deserves a round of applause.

He didn't seem to be very enthusiastic about the combat. He thinks its sort of jack-of-all-trades. Bit worrying?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Cullilingus

Fallout was never about the combat though, was it? In fact, at times it was god awful. Yet it managed to become a classic.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I think it was a big part of it. they even expanded it into tun-based strategy game with Fallout:Tactics. Oh well, at least the ultra-violence will still be there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The more I read about this game, the more I want to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Cullilingus

Maximilian wrote: »
    I think it was a big part of it. they even expanded it into tun-based strategy game with Fallout:Tactics. Oh well, at least the ultra-violence will still be there.

Yeah, but it wasnt what made it popular. Waiting for 20 rats to take their turn was headwrecking, and nothing was more frustrating then almost finishing a fight, only to have one of your teammates riddle you full of holes with a minigun to the back of the head :mad:

• Advertisement

Yeah, but it wasnt what made it popular. Waiting for 20 rats to take their turn was headwrecking, and nothing was more frustrating then almost finishing a fight, only to have one of your teammates riddle you full of holes with a minigun to the back of the head :mad:

Noob ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Just been keeping an eye on this on Eurogamer here and here and these's previews don't bode well for the outcome. Finding a lot of faults that are unlikely to be fixed unless they opt for an overhaul of the textures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Don't give Vic an SMG, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Don't give Vic and SMG, ever.

it was the only way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I really want Fallout 3 to be good, really. The previous games were amazing, they had a depth to them that puts other games to shame even now.

I'm not sold on it though. The previews suggest it's a lot less "complicated" than the other games. There's a worrying voice at the back of my head screaming that it'll be to "Fallout" as Oblivion was to Morrowind- Undeniably prettier, but dead inside.

• Advertisement

I'm expecting to be disapointed by it.
    Everytime i see the combat system i cringe.
    Now, if it turns out to be better than jesus and mohammed combined then great, but if not... well at least i was right.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Haha - leaving yourself wide open for crticism there lord.

Haha - leaving yourself wide open for crticism there lord.

Wouldn't be the first time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Trippie wrote: »
    it was the only way to go

nah, he was bad assed with a gauss rifle!

who you dont want to have a smg is sulik

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Darkener wrote: »

i bought that myself recently. Managed an hour into before i put it back in the box, probably never to play it again. I know its a classic (i played it before when it first came out) but hasn't aged great and can be a chore to play now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

quarryman wrote: »
    i bought that myself recently. Managed an hour into before i put it back in the box, probably never to play it again. I know its a classic (i played it before when it first came out) but hasn't aged great and can be a chore to play now.

ahh its worth a luck if anything, sometimes the story makes up for the bad graphics ect.

Id point to FFVII on that one graphics are out dated ect now but i still play it :)

mawk wrote: »
    nah, he was bad assed with a gauss rifle!

who you dont want to have a smg is sulik

We an' I be glad ta answer...

Giving Sulik a SMG wasn't too bad, just go to the combat options and tell him only to burst if he's really, REALLY sure he won't hit anyone on the team.

However giving Sulik a super-sledge and some combat armour made him death incarnate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Was I the only one who locked Vic in the Slavers den and came back every so often to kneecap him?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

DarkJager wrote: »
    Was I the only one who locked Vic in the Slavers den and came back every so often to kneecap him?? :D

You sick f uck nicely done :-)

Like many others I have started playing fallout2 again.

I decided to only go unarmed combat this time and skip guns altogether. Suprisingly it is working out well, I just got power armour and I am in the military base.

Just spent ages slowly kicking 4 super mutants to death as due to the jinxed perk, I kept having critical failures in combat i.e. 2 crippled arms and a damaged eye. Couldn't use the power fist so had to resort to kicks. Won in the end!

I love fallout. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You took jinxed? Do you hate yourself?

Slayer ftw. Every hit a critical!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Branoic wrote: »
    I really really really hope they ditch or at least seriously modify their auto-levelling system implemented in Oblivion, which for me really detracted from that game. Every two-bit common bandit in Cyrodiil ended up wandering around with mithril armour and glass weapons! Really took me out of the immersion in the universe.

I whanted to say same, you were first. Thats why i newer played oblivion to the end, that auto lvling is just wrong:

You fight, do quests buy gear and get stronger, the rat in dungeon just sits there and becomes stronger from crawling around and sniffing....

If they will do same thing in fallout i will cry :(. Becouse Fallout 2 is still mine best ever played pc game! After it goes bioshock.

Ps. I was so afraid it will happen, afte i heard that same crowd that did oblivion , starts fallout3 :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, if Fallout PC is the same engine as Oblivion, then any faults will be eminently fixable. Oblivion did (and still does) have a very strong mod scene where most aspects of the game, from the cosmetic (weapons, skins, models etc) to the game-play itself (the auto-leveling problem) were changeable. Some of the mods were damned impressise The crappy leveling was fixable with a straightforward mod someone made, so the same is likely with Fallout if it turns out to have the same number of "issues".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Back playing fallout 2 as well in anticipation of number 3. Trying to keep Vic and Sulik alive on caravan drives is doing my head in. Or when I engage in fisticuffs with Hoss in NCR and in comes one of my gang spraying .44 bullets across the bar. Frustrating, but brilliant and has the wit and soul not found in a lot of modern "blokbuster" games.

Is it just me or do Eurogamer seem intent on disliking Fallout 3? They stand in constrast to most other previews I have read, complaining about low res textures, jerky animation and flawed combat. Its a little annoying that they are heaping criticism on an open ended RPG for not having cutting edge graphics and polished fight mechanics. Two of my gripes with oblivion were the strain it put on my PC to look good (ok, when it came out!) and the hack and slash combat that looked more like a bunch of thunderbirds marionettes trying to get jiggy with one another. I would be happy if they had only VATS in fallout 3, it almost seems like they are pandering to the console crowd for a quick hack and slash fest.

Anyway, im just hoping eurogamer have missed the mark, as they have a few times before. I'm counting on fallout 3 and blizzards two far-off offerings to justify me having a PC in a shrinking market!

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Eurogamer are not the only ones who have been given Fallout 3 mixed previews but the 2 preview they have done have been not favourabel towars the game.

Here is a rather negative French preview translated.
    http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=43893

I have another preview from another French site that is pretty negative but its not translated into english so I won't bother linking.

Gamespot this one is positive preview
    http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/fallout3/news.html?sid=6195314&tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot

Here is 145 new pics of Fallout 3
    http://nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44246

And why would you think the PC market is shrinking?

Azza wrote: »
    Eurogamer are not the only ones who have been given Fallout 3 mixed previews but the 2 preview they have done have been not favourabel towars the game.

Here is a rather negative French preview translated.
    http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=43893

I have another preview from another French site that is pretty negative but its not translated into english so I won't bother linking.

Gamespot this one is positive preview
    http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/fallout3/news.html?sid=6195314&tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot

Here is 145 new pics of Fallout 3
    http://nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44246

And why would you think the PC market is shrinking?

Its not srinking, just in ireland its not popular. People cant be arsed sorting out pcs and stuff. So they go easy way: buy console, buy game, and : "pop this f*cker in"

Thought i have ps3 and xblender and pc. And i play 95% on pc...

And yes, alot of people bacema eye candy slaves. They whant graphics over gameplay in beggining, and after playing a game they start moaning about gameplay...

Fallout2 have proved long time ago, graphic are not important!

Sarky wrote: »
    You took jinxed? Do you hate yourself?

Slayer ftw. Every hit a critical!

not quite....
    picked up pariah dig from the random encounter, forgot having the fiend in your party reduces your luck to 1 and gives you jinxed as a perk! Needless to say when I copped on(i really should have remembered this!) I killed him off and got my luck back and got rid of jinxed.

I'm on track for the slayer perk lvl 24, 9 lvls to go.

Its not srinking, just in ireland its not popular. People cant be arsed sorting out pcs and stuff. So they go easy way: buy console, buy game, and : "pop this f*cker in"

Off topic I know, but I think a big part of the problem with PC gaming in Ireland can be directly laid at the feet of the quality of our internet connections, or lack thereof. Given how reliant PC games are on its online component, flaky or non-existent broadband I imagine would discourage communities here. Maybe :D

Oh and I am going to re-install Fallout2 again and give it another try. Fair's fair I suppose

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh and I am going to re-install Fallout2 again and give it another try. Fair's fair I suppose

Would give fallout 1 a go first if you have it. Much easier at the start than fallout2 which kicks your square in the balls if you have never played a fallout game before.

You can get instructions on how to install fallout1 under 2k/XP
    http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=1593

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Off topic I know, but I think a big part of the problem with PC gaming in Ireland can be directly laid at the feet of the quality of our internet connections, or lack thereof. Given how reliant PC games are on its online component, flaky or non-existent broadband I imagine would discourage communities here. Maybe :D

Lol m8, i am originally from lithuania and i had 0.2Mbit connection and i was happy like rabbit :D. Here i got 2.0Mbit it its enought o play any game on internet.

Internet connection has nothing to do with pc gaming m8. Becouse in lithuania its like 90% is pure PC gaming.

Problem is poeple to laizy here to set the games for PCs. they just whant plug and play

Advertisement