Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

uberpixie wrote: »
    Would give fallout 1 a go first if you have it. Much easier at the start than fallout2 which kicks your square in the balls if you have never played a fallout game before.

You can get instructions on how to install fallout1 under 2k/XP
    http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=1593

yeah i think if you havent really played fallout first one is better, its shorter and has a better story imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I installed Fallout 2 again & started playing. Poking ants with a stick in a bland cave. Ah, now I remember why I gave up so soon; at least Oblivion gave you some impetus to move forward :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah I installed Fallout 2 again & started playing. Poking ants with a stick in a bland cave. Ah, now I remember why I gave up so soon; at least Oblivion gave you some impetus to move forward :D

It's the temple of trials section. Man up and get it over with.

DO IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Fallout begging was allways crap, that first dungeon. But this part dont even represent a small part of game it self.

Fun starts when you get to the first town. Stealing, Doing jobs, stealing, then some bit more stealing, then killing :D.

Fallout begging was allways crap, that first dungeon. But this part dont even represent a small part of game it self.

Fun starts when you get to the first town. killing, killing, killing, then some bit more killing, then killing :D.

I fixed that for you....

Also, a stick of dynamite + steal skill over 38%-ish = best thing ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Hope you put some points into speech and your intelligence.
    One of the few rpgs where having an intelligent character who can talk people around is a huge advantage.

More money and XP for doing things the clever way as opposed to killing everything on sight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

uberpixie wrote: »
    Hope you put some points into speech and your intelligence.
    One of the few rpgs where having an intelligent character who can talk people around is a huge advantage.

More money and XP for doing things the clever way as opposed to killing everything on sight.
    Yeah so I understand; problem is that I kept getting killed by the scorpions in this stupid temple. Plus the control system felt a bit wonky, I'm so not used to isometric RPGs.

Yeah so I understand; problem is that I kept getting killed by the scorpions in this stupid temple. Plus the control system felt a bit wonky, I'm so not used to isometric RPGs.

There is an easy way to deal with them
    Like you all the NPC's have their own action points which they use for movement & attacking etc etc. The trick is to take things slowly until the scorpions (or giant ants) initiate combat. Let them come to you, then do *one* unarmed attack and run back at least 4 spaces. they'll spend all their AP getting as far as you, meaning you can just keep wearing them down without getting hit.

It's kinda tedious but it's essential at the early part of the game where it seems nuclear armageddon has given all the flora and fauna an unquenchable thirst for human blood.

It's also essential if you went the route i did and tried to make a Dr.Who style character, tagged speech, science & repair, high int and charisma. However i have put alot of points into small arms because unlike the doctor i cannot regerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

anyway, back on topic.

leaked screenshots.

It's due to arrive in Europe, 3 days after the US release, on Oct. 31;
    http://kotaku.com/5039583/fallout-3-hits-october-28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

New gameplay videos are on Gametrailers now and by the looks of things the games going really well alot more polished then what we saw at E3. Nice third person view shown aswel and the radio isnt spamming silly marching music anymore but 1940's/50's music happy days.

First video http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39282.html

Haha, yeah that's Oblivion 2.0 - I mean they use the exact same sitting animation for the NPCs and the way the camera zooms at the start of a conversation's identical too. In fact the whole NPC interaction's the same really. Heck, they even have Mudcrabs :D

Edit, and having watched the other 4 videos,they also have pickpocketing, "stealth" & lockpicking copied almost verbatim from Oblivion. Ye bunch of lazy feckers Bethesda!

Haha, yeah that's Oblivion 2.0 - I mean they use the exact same sitting animation for the NPCs and the way the camera zooms at the start of a conversation's identical too. In fact the whole NPC interaction's the same really. Heck, they even have Mudcrabs :D

Edit, and having watched the other 4 videos,they also have pickpocketing, "stealth" & lockpicking copied almost verbatim from Oblivion. Ye bunch of lazy feckers Bethesda!

Meh as opposed to coming up with a entirely new engine taking 10 years to develop that thus pissing of fans ever more off and thus making whatever NMA say a gospel?

Lets be greatfull that it hasnt taken this game long to come out and that it looks alot better then what they showed at E3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Shame you can no longer target body parts with hand to hand weapons...

Look at the Vats combat with the power fist: you can only target the entire person.

Boo. There goes breaking someones legs with a louisville slugger :-(

Tis looking a wee bit better to me. I am almost optimistic Bethesda won't make an utter balls of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

This is Really starting to look like Oblivion with guns:D:D

Stev_o wrote: »
    Meh as opposed to coming up with a entirely new engine taking 10 years to develop that thus pissing of fans ever more off and thus making whatever NMA say a gospel?

Lets be greatfull that it hasnt taken this game long to come out and that it looks alot better then what they showed at E3
    No no, I wasn't criticising per se; I just held out hope that maybe Bethesda took the time to maybe refine and tweak some aspects of Oblivion's engine. From the looks of this video it seems like they just re-skinned the thing. All the little idiosyncrasies remain intact.

I have no trouble with "Oblivion with guns", hell I remember wishing that such a thing existed. It's just ... I dunno, disappointing that Bethesda didn't at least try.

No no, I wasn't criticising per se; I just held out hope that maybe Bethesda took the time to maybe refine and tweak some aspects of Oblivion's engine. From the looks of this video it seems like they just re-skinned the thing. All the little idiosyncrasies remain intact.

I have no trouble with "Oblivion with guns", hell I remember wishing that such a thing existed. It's just ... I dunno, disappointing that Bethesda didn't at least try.

Ah yeah i know but every Fallout 3 thread in every forum is always full of the same crap and its just annoying to hear over and over again lets be happy we have game that looks great, has good humour nice weapons and no Gray Fox and be done with it!

Anyone have any more info on whether the levelling system used in Oblivion is being carried over to Fallout 3?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

quarryman wrote: »
    Anyone have any more info on whether the levelling system used in Oblivion is being carried over to Fallout 3?

No, thank christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

quarryman wrote: »

Theres a level 20 cap in it.

Its also out on Halloween, another excuse not to answer the door to them trick or treaters. God I hate those :pac:

• Advertisement

Hmmm, it seems mods won't be on the horizon that quickly after release:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/09/23/interview-pete-hines-on-fallout-3-mods/

"We need to get the game done and out. It’s not to say we won’t do it. It’s that right now we have an enormous amount of work to do, for three platforms and all these different languages to get it out around the wall. Right now, we can’t say definitively “there will be mod tools, and here is when they’ll be out”. That work remains to be done"

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Theres a level 20 cap in it.

but what does that mean though? Level 20 could take forever based on the new system in Fallout 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

No, no silly oblivion levelling system that rewards using your main skills and no stupid high level bandits with mithril armour. It's just good old fallout, 20 levels and bad guys in the game will be at a set level regardless of the player.

I'm sick of reading kids comments on various gaming sites comparing this with call of duty (huh?), oblvion, etc. As long as it brings back the great atmosphere of the originals, I don't care how like oblivion it is in game engine, its not necessarily a bad thing is it?

It's interesting though that Fallout 3 is coming out against an arguably more interesting / unique free-form shooter, Far Cry 2. Wonder who will lose out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Different type of game though. Far Cry 2 is your standard FPS while Fallout 3 is pure RPG.

Far Cry 1 was vastly over-rated so I'm not expecting much from Far Cry 2. Crytek seem to favour graphics over depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Different type of game though. Far Cry 2 is your standard FPS while Fallout 3 is pure RPG.

Far Cry 1 was vastly over-rated so I'm not expecting much from Far Cry 2. Crytek seem to favour graphics over depth.

Crytek have nothing to do with Far Cry 2 though.

Fallout 3 will sell at least 2 maybe 2.5 million more copies than Far Cry 2 across all platforms. I think it looks brilliant but unless it has a killer multiplayer It wont have a big appeal to many people. Hope im wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It's interesting though that Fallout 3 is coming out against an arguably more interesting / unique free-form shooter, Far Cry 2. Wonder who will lose out.

This is what I was on about, I'll assume you were not being serious??

As mentioned, Fallout is not a shooter, its an RPG. Please tell me you are familiar with the originals?

Far Cry 1 was vastly over-rated

I_Dont_think_so_tim.JPG
    I don't think so, tim.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I_Dont_think_so_tim.JPG
    I don't think so, tim.
    Didn't like it at all - flashy graphics and what not aside I didn't like it at all really. Couldn't get into it properly and thought it was fiddly and sometimes lacked depth in terms of the combat. There was a lot better games out around the same time that took my attention away from it.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    This is what I was on about, I'll assume you were not being serious??

As mentioned, Fallout is not a shooter, its an RPG. Please tell me you are familiar with the originals?
    The originals don't matter squat because 90% of the promotion of this game has been about the combat, particularly the VATS combat (more so that damned "bloody mess" perk). To Joe casual gamer, he / she doesn't care about the tender legacy of Fallout & the RPG element has been downplayed somewhat (compared with Oblivion for instance). Fallout 3 comes across as a shooter with RPG aspirations.

For all intents and purposes, both are "sandbox" games that allow the player to play as they see fit, with both games rewarding and developing the gamer in different directions. They're more similar than you think. Fallout is obstensibly more of an RPG, but only by virtue of the stats & the extra option in conversations not to blow the other guy's head off.

Advertisement