Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 770 Wiki

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭sweno

just got my 770 and so far so good....

just started messing around with it and just wondering, whats the default root password?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭demosuzki

sweno wrote:
    just started messing around with it and just wondering, whats the default root password?

http://maemo.org/community/wiki/HowDoiBecomeRoot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭sweno

demosuzki wrote:

thats great, EXACTLY what i was looking for, thanks!
    can anyone recommend a fix or the web browser, very unstable! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Just received mine and have just been browsing the web and its excellent at it.

While I was sitting there in my cinema room playing with it, I was wondering whether I could program it to use as a universal remote. I would love a Harmony 1000, but way too much for me.

Anyone using it as a remote of their equipment.....or is it possible? Anyone seen any links anywhere to help me find out. Im trying google, but not too much luck as yet

Anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Dont see how if it does not have an infra red emitter

Maxwell wrote:
    Just received mine and have just been browsing the web and its excellent at it.

While I was sitting there in my cinema room playing with it, I was wondering whether I could program it to use as a universal remote. I would love a Harmony 1000, but way too much for me.

Anyone using it as a remote of their equipment.....or is it possible? Anyone seen any links anywhere to help me find out. Im trying google, but not too much luck as yet

Anyone help?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Agh, thought I had this...

OK, I've got a Bluetooth GPS receiver, the i-Blue one. Have it connected to maemo-mapper no problem.

maemo-mapper is installed, I had it receiving maps from Google using this address as the repository: http://kh.google.com/kh?n=404&v=99&t=%s

This only gave me the completely zoomed out image of Ireland and the UK.

Anyone got the GPS running and got the maps of Ireland downloaded?

I've been able to set it to download the more zoomed-in maps but by the time they come up to anywhere close enough to use it gets up to like 400GB.

I've got a 1GB card in the 770 which I've set maemo-mapper to download to.

Has anyone got maps working on this? Usable distance zoomed in and just Ireland?

I'd like to have this working for a trip down to Kerry I'll be taking in a couple of weeks so I'd like maps of Dublin, Kerry and the route between them. All of Ireland if possible... I know commercial units usually have around a 1 or 2 Gig card in them.

Is there any free maps out there that I can just download and then upload them onto the 770's memory stick?

Or will I just get stuck buying maps... AND if I buy maps will they be compatible with the 770?

If anyone has maemo-mapper working well let me know how you did it.

Cheers

Zynks wrote:
    Hi Marty, I got the GlobalSat BT-359 Bluetooth GPS Receiver (link). I didn't get it for any particular reason. I assumed that BT GPS receivers are pretty much the same. The only thing I looked for was that it had the SirfIII chip, mostly because it is more efficient on the batteries. Having said that, I do recommend it. I paired it with several devices (the 770, a P990 phone, my laptop and an Axim PDA) and it worked perfectly with all.
    Just for a laugh, on Saturday I stuck the receiver on the top of a bicycle trailer I use for my 2 y.o. kid and left the 770 on in my pocket (Maemo Mapper has the option to keep it on if in full screen mode). It tracked our route all around the place. I wonder if there is a way to send this info over the net to someone else...

Not sure about this one. I am on Vodafone, but I didn't have to enter any info manually on the 770. Check if you have more than one connection (O2 WAP, O2 MMS, etc..) and try another one as the default for data connections.
    [/QUOTE]
    Hey Zynks,
    Did you have the 770 paired with a bluetooth phone to keep the net connection going while you did yer little walk around or did you download all the maps before hand?

If so then which repository did you use and how did you set it to download a decent zoom level without maxing out the space on your card?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Silent here..........

I can download maps quite easily with Maemo Mapper but was put off by the fact that I would have to download maps of my route in advance of any trip (unless I connect by mobile, which I don't want to do).

I decided to get the Nokia Navigation Kit from expansys for €121 The Nokia LD-3W Wireless GPS Module is selling at €92.95 so I figured it was worth a bit extra for the convenience of having preloaded maps, an in car charger and windscreen mount.

The teleatlas maps supplied miss a lot of rural townlands which is a pain but it's fine for getting through towns or cities which is where it's most needed IMO.

Haven't got GPS receiver working with Maemo Mapper, cant' seem to pick it up. Haven't had time to properly troubleshoot it. With time I expect to have this working and will try downloading maps on the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

DeepBlue wrote:
    I did for the laugh. I didn't expect it to make a difference as I heard the fault was a hardware fault and there was nothing to be done but send it back to Nokia for repair.
    Sure enough it didn't make a difference as the tablet remained in this state.

Hi all,

Opened my Nokia 770 from Expansys today (it arrived last week while I was on holiday). While using it (after a full battery charging) the battery died. After attempting to charge it I am now left with the same symptom as in DeepBlue's picure (link above).

Is a full refund from Expansys my only option? Or has anybody succeeded in obtaining support from Nokia in Ireland?

I'm particularly disappointed cos I had the opportunity to pick up the Nokia 800 on holiday in Asia for under €300, but opted for the Expansys offer on the Nokia 770 instead.

Thanks,

eorpach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

eorpach wrote:
    Is a full refund from Expansys my only option? Or has anybody succeeded in obtaining support from Nokia in Ireland?

You can do what I did and ring Nokia in Ireland @ 1890 946 245.
    If you have the same experience as I had you'll find that the Nokia warranty isn't valid in Ireland as the expansys stock originally came from the States :( so it seems a refund is the only option.

P.S. Sorry to hear about your WSOD - it sucks, doesn't it?

• Advertisement

Thanks Deepblue - I'll give Nokia Ireland a call.

Hopefully the origin of the Expansys.ie stock won't be a problem - hardly the fault of the consumer. If Nokia have an issue then I think its something they should have out with Expansys directly - as far as I'm concerned I made my purchase from a distributor based within the EU!

Regards,

eorpach

GG66 wrote:
    Silent here..........

I can download maps quite easily with Maemo Mapper but was put off by the fact that I would have to download maps of my route in advance of any trip (unless I connect by mobile, which I don't want to do).

I decided to get the Nokia Navigation Kit from expansys for €121 The Nokia LD-3W Wireless GPS Module is selling at €92.95 so I figured it was worth a bit extra for the convenience of having preloaded maps, an in car charger and windscreen mount.

The teleatlas maps supplied miss a lot of rural townlands which is a pain but it's fine for getting through towns or cities which is where it's most needed IMO.

Haven't got GPS receiver working with Maemo Mapper, cant' seem to pick it up. Haven't had time to properly troubleshoot it. With time I expect to have this working and will try downloading maps on the move.
    Hi GG66, I got it sorted and got all my maps downloaded (but you have to download small amounts at a time because my 770 crashed every time I tried to download over 40Megs or so at a time).

To get the GPS working on maemo-mapper fairly handily uninstall and download it direct from here http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4691

The repository and the maemo-mapper site itself has v1.3 I think as v1.4 isn't compatible with the older OS. We all have the newest OS as they were bought new as far as I know.

Whereas in v1.3 you had to use hcitool scan to pick up the MAC address of your GPS receiver v1.4 will scan for it and copy it straight into maemo-mapper. You can also click "download" to automatically set 5 map repositories on your 770, Google Street (I use this), Google Satellite (fairly useless, no street names. Doesn't seem to be a proper hybrid option), Virtual Earth Street, VE Satellite and VE Hybrid (all three VE options seem crap. None of them had any maps below zoom level 4 for me which makes them absolutely useless if you want to see where you're going and not just where you are in terms of the rest of the world).

I ordered the Northern Europe Nokia Navigation Kit off Expansys yesterday which apparently departed their East Midlands facility this morning. Hoping I'll have it by Tuesday.

Driving to Kerry in a little while so I'm hoping I can use this as a decent GPS device by then, with actual directions. I hear the maps aren't great in rural Ireland but hope they'll do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

eorpach wrote:
    Thanks Deepblue - I'll give Nokia Ireland a call.

Hopefully the origin of the Expansys.ie stock won't be a problem - hardly the fault of the consumer. If Nokia have an issue then I think its something they should have out with Expansys directly - as far as I'm concerned I made my purchase from a distributor based within the EU!

Regards,

eorpach

Mine died last night too. Really annoyed because I'd just got it working the way I wanted, theme, programs etc.

I'm gonna drop by the Nokia repair centre on Dawson Street tomorrow and see if they can do anything about it.
    There should be something they can do, I mean it's still under warranty. I'd definitely prefer a working 770 than a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭podge3

I took my WSOD unit to the local Nokia Repair centre. It was accepted for repair but will have to be sent to Dublin to be fixed.

I was asked where I bought it but the repair guy seemed happy enough when I said expansys.ie.

Fingers (and all other appendages) crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭niallb

Mine went WSOD on me too yesterday.
    That's SEVEN so far mentioned on this thread alone.
    That's a pretty heavy burn - heading towards €1,000 worth of goods.

I'd be very dissatisfied with a "money back" offer, particularly
    if there's any messing around about pristine packaging.
    I'd like a replacement unit, but a prompt repair would be OK.
    Expansys offering a refund is probably as much as they can do.

To be fair, this is also Nokia's fault, and not expansys'.
    Leads to the question of whether this is of "merchantable quality" at all.

Anyone want to start up a thread for feedback on how refund/repair/replacement is handled?
    Might be more visible than just discussing it here.

To be continued...

NiallB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

niallb wrote:
    That's SEVEN so far mentioned on this thread alone.
    That's a pretty heavy burn - heading towards €1,000 worth of goods.

Surely you mean just over €3000 if there are 7 units on the fritz? Price I saw online for the 770 was €439

The reason we all got them was because they were on special offer on expansys.ie for €134 including delivery charges.
    The special offer was announced here on Bargain Alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

niallb wrote:
    The reason we all got them was because they were on special offer on expansys.ie for €134 including delivery charges.
    The special offer was announced here on Bargain Alerts.

Aha. My apologies. Didn't see that. Nice saving. Well. That is if they work.

niallb wrote:
    I'd be very dissatisfied with a "money back" offer, particularly
    if there's any messing around about pristine packaging.

Expansys had no quibble about accepting mine back and the packaging wasn't particularly pristine. Tbh they can't really expect users to even still have the full packaging as a wsod could happen months after receiving the unit and the packaging would have long since been discarded.
    I reckon that they are well aware of the wsod issue and just issue a refund automatically.

My own experience went something like this:
    • Rang expansys to report fault with the unit - they immediately sent me an email with an RMA request form to fill out and email back.
    • Within 24 hours of sending emailing that to them I get an email saying they will issue a refund and to send back the tablet.
    • I post back the tablet and within a week of it arriving back to them my cc account is credited with the refund.

I guess the only issue is that I paid for posting it back which I shouldn't really have had to do but it's not worth the energy quibbling over that.

I'd be interested to hear how those who sent their units in for repair got on. Hopefully they'll report back when/if they get their units back.

My point is that I'd rather not have my money back - I'd rather
    have what I paid for - an internet tablet.

Still, good to hear they sorted you out with a refund at least.

• Advertisement

I called up to Dawson Street there at lunch time, but it seems they don't repair Internet Tablets at all.

Apparently the only place that does (in the entire country according to the guy?) is 'The Mobile Phone Repair Company' (www.mprc.ie) based in Sandyford.

I'll hopefully get a chance to drop up to them next week.

I called up to Dawson Street there at lunch time, but it seems they don't repair Internet Tablets at all.

Apparently the only place that does (in the entire country according to the guy?) is 'The Mobile Phone Repair Company' (www.mprc.ie) based in Sandyford.

I'll hopefully get a chance to drop up to them next week.
    Did the Dawson Street shop not offer to send it to Sandyford for you? It is under warranty after all.

Hmmm... I didn't ask. I'd prefer to drop it up myself though. Sandyford ain't that far.
    The guy was very nice though. He printed me off a map to the place and everything.

Update:

Its ten days since Nokia Ireland phone support agreed to arrange a pick up of my unit from my home and have it repaired. I'm still waiting for it to be picked up.

Phoned them on day 7 to ask what the delay was and was told that if it still wasn't collected after day 14 that I should call them back. I offered to drop it into their repair centre (if one existed in Dublin) but they declined to give me the address. I queried whether the unit would be forwarded to the UK for repair but was told that repair should be possible in Ireland.

eorpach

eorpach wrote:
    Its ten days since Nokia Ireland phone support agreed to arrange a pick up of my unit from my home and have it repaired. I'm still waiting for it to be picked up.
    I waited about 10 days also before I took my unit to the nearest Nokia repair centre.

I took mine up to the www.mprc.ie place in Sandyford on Monday.
    They said to ring next week to get some idea as to how
    long it might take to get it back. At least the process is begun!

http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/pda is a useful site for internet feeds of some Irish radio stations.
    The RTE ones are realplayer and open in the video player :confused:
    A number of others use embedded flash which works fine and some local stations use aacplus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Has anyone else had issues with theirs not turning on some times, then turning itself on automatically and running down the battery?

It seemed ok for the first few weeks, but it seems to be happening more and more...

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

DeepBlue wrote:
    http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/pda is a useful site for internet feeds of some Irish radio stations.
    The RTE ones are realplayer and open in the video player :confused:
    A number of others use embedded flash which works fine and some local stations use aacplus.

Thanks very much for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

My first 770 had the WSOD within a few hours. Expansys replaced it no problem for me although I was annoyed I had to pay for postage back to them.

The replacement unit has been alive since then but it does that switching itself on in the middle of the night trick. I haven't figured out a pattern.

Advertisement