Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 770 Wiki

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

paddypaws wrote:
    Looks like it's sold out now So the N780 @ 420 euro is your only choice on http://www.expansys.ie/ so if anyone is late to the party try eBay.
    I had the same problem with the headphones last night so I’ll try the update. But the really annoying thing is when I type with the stylus and hit E (most popular letter in the alphabet) it throws up W anyone else??
    Have you tried recalibrating the screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 paddypaws

Tony wrote:
    why? if it does not mute the speaker then the socket is not working right, even a dead set of headphones should mute the speaker

Edit. re installed the firmware and seems ok now, thanks for the help

how did you do the firmware re install????? i have the same problem also. ref the keyboard input i did and still have the same prob...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

paddypaws wrote:
    how did you do the firmware re install????? i have the same problem also. ref the keyboard input i did and still have the same prob...

Just used the Nokia updater software

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote:
    Just used the Nokia updater software
    Dang i only have a mac, looks like i am calling on a buddy tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Anybody tried this BT Keyboard with the 770 ?

http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=150080 (dell branded) 53.95 Euro

Non Branded is 121.95 !

770 plugin for BT Keyboards :

http://770.fs-security.com/maemo-bt-plugin/

• Advertisement

Also anyone know where to get cheap spare batteries (including shipping - in most cases the shipping is more than the cost of the battery) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Anyone know of any websites with streaming radio stations I could find to listen to on the 770?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

steveland? wrote:
    Anyone know of any websites with streaming radio stations I could find to listen to on the 770?
    http://www.shoutcast.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Ah fantastic. Do you just copy the URL in the "Tune In" links into the radio player?

I had found another .pls file online but the 770 told me it wasn't a valid filetype

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

steveland? wrote:

I use kmplayer for internet radio. I paste the address in separate files and open them to play. Seems to prefer .mp3 streams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

mart_max wrote:
    I still couldn't manage to get my SE K610im 3G phone worked as a modem. Successfully paired the phone and Nokia but every time I tried to use the connection an error appeared "Internet Connection Failed". I have checked the settings in Control Panel > Connectivity > Connections > O2 Internet > Edit and I think it has correct info thou:

Finally! I figured it out - I have to leave every field i.e. APN/username/password empty. Leave the dial number *99****1# as it is. Now I've have internet access from my mobile, wuhoo! Except that I'd have to expect O2 gonna charge me a lot for Speakeasy gprs usage.

Marty

Quackles wrote:
    Well, mine is broken. White screen of death. Spoke to expansys, hoping they'll replace it and not take an age to do so. Pah..

How did you get on with expansys?
    I just got my White Screen of Death tonight so I'm not a happy bunny.

I wonder if I'm now the proud owner of a €115 paperweight? :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

mart_max wrote:
    ... I'd have to expect O2 gonna charge me a lot for Speakeasy gprs usage. Marty
    According to this it will be €10 per mb. I would check if they mean Kb o KB (1 KB = 8 Kb). In any case, keep an eye on the usage, or you could be on for a big surprise.

DeepBlue wrote:
    How did you get on with expansys?
    I just got my White Screen of Death tonight so I'm not a happy bunny.

I wonder if I'm now the proud owner of a €115 paperweight? :( .
    Did it just happen randomly or was there something which caused it to happen (not, of course, that it should ever happen or that its your fault, i'm keen to avoid the same thing happening to me!).

dal wrote:
    Did it just happen randomly or was there something which caused it to happen (not, of course, that it should ever happen or that its your fault, i'm keen to avoid the same thing happening to me!).
    I was following advice from here on how to add internet radio channels to the radio applet on the "home" page when audio player locked up.
    Perhaps I should have waited until it cleared itself but I decided to reboot as various applications have hung previously but sorted themselves out on a reboot.
    However when I rebooted I had the WSOD :(.

Anyhow I rang expansys and they sent me out a RMA (presumably Return to Manufacturing?) request form to fill out and email back to them.
    If I'd spent €400 approx on this device I would be seriously pi$$ed off. As it is I'd take a refund rather than a repair (if I can get one).
    From what I read if you get one WSOD then you're very likely to get more - it's just a case of when and since this product is discontinued I can't see Nokia repairing them indefinitely.

DeepBlue wrote:
    I was following advice from here on how to add internet radio channels to the radio applet on the "home" page when audio player locked up.
    Perhaps I should have waited until it cleared itself but I decided to reboot as various applications have hung previously but sorted themselves out on a reboot.
    However when I rebooted I had the WSOD :(
    Very sorry to hear that. I assume you tried to reload the firmware?

dal wrote:
    I assume you tried to reload the firmware?

I did for the laugh. I didn't expect it to make a difference as I heard the fault was a hardware fault and there was nothing to be done but send it back to Nokia for repair.
    Sure enough it didn't make a difference as the tablet remained in this state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

handy site with a lot of the classics in PDF format here:
    http://www.planetpdf.com/free_pdf_ebooks.asp?CurrentPage=1
    drop into mobipocket desktop reader to convert to prc and read with FB reader.
    You can get a lot of these on memoware already in prc format but its handy to have them all together in the above site.

Just a heads up for anyone else that gets the WSOD.

Expansys will give you a refund as they are unable to repair or replace the item although when you return the item be aware that "Packaging must be in pristine condition or a fee of 25% may be deducted from your refund" :eek: .

P.S. Anyone want a 1 GB RS-MMC Card going cheap? :p

DeepBlue wrote:
    P.S. Anyone want a 1 GB RS-MMC Card going cheap? :p
    Sure. Are you in Dublin? I am in south Co. Dublin.

And sorry to hear about your 770.

• Advertisement

quintron wrote:
    ...drop into mobipocket desktop reader to convert to prc and read with FB reader.
    You can get a lot of these on memoware already in prc format but its handy to have them all together in the above site.
    This site links to thousands of ebooks:
    http://www.friedbeef.com/2007/04/09/best-places-to-get-free-books-the-ultimate-guide/

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Lissavane wrote:
    Thanks for replies lads. I know how to transfer files to card via usb & install applications - problem is FBreader application files (not actual ebook downloads) seem to be designed for online installation direct to specific devices. I'm prob missing something but it doesn't matter - I'll set up wireless soon.
    Lots of links for ebooks here:

http://www.friedbeef.com/2007/04/09/best-places-to-get-free-books-the-ultimate-guide/

I think it covers most of the main sites.

Will have a look at mobipocket.

We had that already Zynks. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Lissavane wrote:
    Has anyone tried/managed to install fbreader offline by transferring files to 770 via usb from PC?

I've searched extensively via google. FBreader site does give instructions but they don't work for me.

Any help appreciated.

I addressed this question to FBReader group on Google. The developer replied promptly that there was an error on the site
    which he/she corrected. All's working fine now. It's a great app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

deadl0ck wrote:
    Has anyone figured out how to use Blueface as an alternative connection on Gizmo ?

I managed to set up Blueface on Gizmo, note that you need to add the details of Blueface SIP server (sip.blueface.ie) and login as Secondary Account at login screen of Gizmo. You can then choose which account (Gizmo or Blueface) to use phone calls. The only drawback is that your SIP connections are kinda proxied on Gizmo server i.e. calls are not directly connected on Blueface SIP server resulting lower QoS. Well, at least it works! :D

You can create additional SIP accounts on Blueface PBX GUI to separate login for other VoIP devices.

Marty

Zynks wrote:
    Sure. Are you in Dublin? I am in south Co. Dublin.
    You have a PM :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Anybody tried this BT Keyboard with the 770 ?

http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=150080 (dell branded) 53.95 Euro

Non Branded is 121.95 !

770 plugin for BT Keyboards :

http://770.fs-security.com/maemo-bt-plugin/

Yup! I've tried it, worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

For anyone having problems SSH'in to it, either open a terminal and ping an extermal machine, or playback some internet radio.

This is my hamfisted workaround to get around the slow SSH due to timeouts / power saving.

Much easier to get under the linux hood with SSH :)

//EDIT
    With a decent sources.list most apps are installing fine, Using rdesktop is nice, VNC works fine

Logging onto lcarscom.net with the 770 is interesting
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Y94jlOY8BK8

ref keyboard problem the recalibration kind of worked but i find the thumb keyboard much better

800px-IMG_7756.jpg

it's under tools>text input settings>finger. make sure you got launch via rocker key on

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

Hi,
    After reading all the great reviews of 770 I bought one but then read about the WSOD (white screen of Death) on this and other forums. A couple of minutes ago I tried to cancel my order but it has already shipped ****.
    On woot.com forum there is a large list of people with wsod who are pissed.
    example "The person describing the problem works at Nokia in Finland. He said the screen breaks due to a chain of events...

1. some problem during shutdown
    2. next time it boots it sends too much current to the screen
    3. the screen breaks

It seems to me it would be pretty easy for Nokia to solve this at (2) by adding some sort of protection (diode?) to the circuit. All Palco will do, of course, is temporarily solve (3). As end users, we could try to minimize (1).

For my WSOD, I recall my previous shutdown was me removing the battery cuz the OS just plain froze on me. Maybe it woulda been better to just let the battery completely drain, who knows? At any rate, solving (3), especially given the long wait times, seemed very futile to me.
    "

It seems that Nokia knew these has a design fault but still allowed large sales of them.
    On the woot forum they say that 8000 were sold.
    I wonder how many that were sold on expansys.ie will be faulty!
    ****e! thats the last time I order something without looking at potential defects.

Pissed Pajoe

• Advertisement

Mine has just gone too - what a pain in the arse.

just got the Maemo Mapper working perfectly ...

Advertisement