Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 770 Wiki

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Nope, I get the same. Now if only I had an n800, there's supposed to be a version on firefox that's just been released, that would probably sort it. Too bad it won't work on the 770 at all. :-/

Wuhoo!!! I manage to post this by browsing in full screen mode. Yes has to be in mobile theme though. also clicking the page no link is also not working.

marty

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

mobile skin works fine thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

My first effort has been to get the GPS working.

Done so far:
    - Installed the BT software (I can get the name later if someone wants it) and paired it with the BT GPS receiver
    - Installed Maemo Mapper (didn't like the original repository, didn't cover my area well, so I changed the repository to Google Maps)
    - Took it for a ride, actually a bus ride. It is brilliant! It showed the exact location on the map, gave me text directions to where I wanted to go, showed the speed speed of the bus, updating really fast (could check by when the bus stopped and started moving), altitude and kept a track of where I've been. Very cool.
    - Transfered audio and video files from mobile phone to tablet. They play better than on the phone.

Next steps:
    - Find out more bout map levels and download a decent set for areas of Dublin I am likely to visit
    - Find out how to install the voice command software, so I can use it in my car connected to the stereo so I get voice directions
    - Play with resizing videos for best results. Apparently it is not so simple if you want to get the best results link

Other bits:
    - In the browser, select "Enable javascript" for improved functionality. Strangely, this option appears to disable itself when you restart the tablet.
    - Use full screen for browsing and many applications. It makes quite a difference
    - Have it paired with my 3G phone, but haven't been able to go online this way, so I will have to investigate a bit more
    - Can't find out how to access my home server (Linux based) media files. Anyone?
    - Seriously considering buying another 770, so one stays permanently in the car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

how do you copy and paste on the tablet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

weedhead wrote:
    how do you copy and paste on the tablet ?

Select the text using a double click and drag. Press and hold on selected text.....a menu pops up offering among other options copy. To paste use button on the left of the spacebar.

Cal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Has anyone tried/managed to install fbreader offline by transferring files to 770 via usb from PC?

I've searched extensively via google. FBreader site does give instructions but they don't work for me.

Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

working well with my N95 over BT connection. renders faster/better than N95 built in browser. Had no difficulties with pairing.

Has anyone found a good site for e-books to read on FBReader? The 770 is supposed to be a very handy reader from the reports I read.

Lissavane wrote:
    Has anyone tried/managed to install fbreader offline by transferring files to 770 via usb from PC?

I've searched extensively via google. FBreader site does give instructions but they don't work for me.

Any help appreciated.

I haven't done it, but you should be able to see the external card as a removable drive on Windows Explorer. Create a folder called Books and copy the files to that folder.

If this doesn't work for let me know and I will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

For FBreader ebooks, download and install mobipocket (www.mobipocket.com) to your machine to convert any pdf, word files etc etc to compatible .prc format. Its a drag and drop interface and a good ebook manager. The resulting .prc files read perfect on FBreader.
    There is also memoware (.com) and freelib project Gutenberg (google) et al for various free ebooks. All the classics, for example, are in the public domain and are therefore free to download in many different formats. Also look at FBreader.org site for more links.
    I also use PDF creator (google it) which is a very handy freeware tool to grab any interesting text from a website or wherever; then I can easily create a resulting PDF (using the print command) which I then drag to mobipocket to create a .prc file for reading. The primary reason I use mobipocket is because I sometimes read books on my E61 which is a symbian phone and runs mobipocket ebook reader so its handy to have for both gadgets and a good place to store all my ebooks.

• Advertisement

Zynks wrote:
    My first effort has been to get the GPS working.

Do you mind telling us what BT GPS are you using? I would like to get off a cheap one from ebay soon but not sure which is grand for the job.

I still couldn't manage to get my SE K610im 3G phone worked as a modem. Successfully paired the phone and Nokia but every time I tried to use the connection an error appeared "Internet Connection Failed". I have checked the settings in Control Panel > Connectivity > Connections > O2 Internet > Edit and I think it has correct info thou:
    Connection Type: Packet Data
    Access Point Name: open.internet ( i also tried pp.internet, wap.o2.ie and internet )
    Dial Up Number: *99***1# ( also tried *99# )
    User Name: gprs
    Password: gprs

Urgh. Anyone on O2 successfully done this? Btw, I am on Speakeasy prepaid plan.

On a separate interest - has anybody installed minimo as their browser? How is it like? So far I have the following apps installed on my Nokia 770:
    • Pidgins
    • Canola
    • Mapper
    • Gizmo

Cheers,
    Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Thanks for replies lads. I know how to transfer files to card via usb & install applications - problem is FBreader application files (not actual ebook downloads) seem to be designed for online installation direct to specific devices. I'm prob missing something but it doesn't matter - I'll set up wireless soon.
    Lots of links for ebooks here:

http://www.friedbeef.com/2007/04/09/best-places-to-get-free-books-the-ultimate-guide/

I think it covers most of the main sites.

Will have a look at mobipocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

anyone get the IM working in Gizmo with MSN ?

It is driving me nuts ...

any special settings etc. ?

anyone get the IM working in Gizmo with MSN ?

I didn't know Gizmo can do IM too. I'm using Pidgin thou and works like a charm.

Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Just a quick update on the problems I was having with setting up streaming music from my desktop.
    The problem turned out to be my firewall blocking port 9000.

Works really well now.

dal wrote:
    Just a quick update on the problems I was having with setting up streaming music from my desktop.

Works really well now.

Dal, any chance if there is anyone can spend sometime to create a AFT client for Nokia 770? I know that we browse AFT website, etc but a client like JSMS on Nokia 770 would be sexehh. :D

Marty

mart_max wrote:
    Dal, any chance if there is anyone can spend sometime to create a AFT client for Nokia 770? I know that we browse AFT website, etc but a client like JSMS on Nokia 770 would be sexehh. :D

Marty
    I might look into this at some stage, but I don't know if I will have the time.
    Have you tried AFTWeb?
    http://sms.donutsoft.net/aftweb

Looks like it might be undergoing some changes, but it works for me (on my desktop, haven't tried from 770)

mart_max wrote:
    Do you mind telling us what BT GPS are you using? I would like to get off a cheap one from ebay soon but not sure which is grand for the job.

Hi Marty, I got the GlobalSat BT-359 Bluetooth GPS Receiver (link). I didn't get it for any particular reason. I assumed that BT GPS receivers are pretty much the same. The only thing I looked for was that it had the SirfIII chip, mostly because it is more efficient on the batteries. Having said that, I do recommend it. I paired it with several devices (the 770, a P990 phone, my laptop and an Axim PDA) and it worked perfectly with all.
    Just for a laugh, on Saturday I stuck the receiver on the top of a bicycle trailer I use for my 2 y.o. kid and left the 770 on in my pocket (Maemo Mapper has the option to keep it on if in full screen mode). It tracked our route all around the place. I wonder if there is a way to send this info over the net to someone else...
    mart_max wrote:
    I still couldn't manage to get my SE K610im 3G phone worked as a modem. Successfully paired the phone and Nokia but every time I tried to use the connection an error appeared "Internet Connection Failed". I have checked the settings in Control Panel > Connectivity > Connections > O2 Internet > Edit and I think it has correct info thou:
    Urgh. Anyone on O2 successfully done this? Btw, I am on Speakeasy prepaid plan.
    Not sure about this one. I am on Vodafone, but I didn't have to enter any info manually on the 770. Check if you have more than one connection (O2 WAP, O2 MMS, etc..) and try another one as the default for data connections.
    [/QUOTE]

dal wrote:

Works really well now.
    Interesting! Do you have a PnP streaming server on your PC, or are you accessing the files directly?

I have a linux server with Samba at home that I use to stream audio and video, but no PnP software, so I am looking for a way to "map" a network drive...

quintron wrote:
    For FBreader ebooks, download and install mobipocket (www.mobipocket.com) to your machine to convert any pdf, word files etc etc to compatible .prc format. Its a drag and drop interface and a good ebook manager. The resulting .prc files read perfect on FBreader.
    Quintron, that Mobipocket is a brilliant find, thanks. I got a few PDFs converted, and I am really impressed with the results. And the 770 is a brilliant ebook reader! A nice bonus :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Anyone using headphones? When I plug mine in the speaker does not mute and there is no sound on the ear phones, is there some setting I've missed?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

mart_max wrote:
    I didn't know Gizmo can do IM too. I'm using Pidgin thou and works like a charm.

Marty

Got it working now when I finally figured out you need to use the Add Buddies 'contact' to do it.

for MSN :type 2 then it prompts u for username and password then goes to the msn server and retrieves all your contacts ...

Anyone notice that alot of the apps available don't have any good documentation :)

Zynks wrote:
    Interesting! Do you have a PnP streaming server on your PC, or are you accessing the files directly?

I have a linux server with Samba at home that I use to stream audio and video, but no PnP software, so I am looking for a way to "map" a network drive...

I am accessing them through a uPnP server called Twonky. I assumed this was the easiest (or only) way to access files on a pc (?). I have windows xp.

dal wrote:
    I am accessing them through a uPnP server called Twonky. I assumed this was the easiest (or only) way to access files on a pc (?). I have windows xp.

I have SimpleCentre running on my Vista PC and works perfectly fine with Canola on my Nokia 770. There is a bit laggy there and there about - so I use Nokia Media Converter for my videos to improve the playback. There is also Orb if you wish to stream your files/tv recording through internet while you are away from home.

Marty

Can someone try headphones and see if they work ok and the speaker mutes please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

It mutes when the headphones are plugged in. Either you have a faulty device or your headphone jack isn't pushed in all the way.

DeepBlue wrote:
    It mutes when the headphones are plugged in. Either you have a faulty device or your headphone jack isn't pushed in all the way.

Thanks, seems its a faulty unit

Tony wrote:
    Thanks, seems its a faulty unit
    I take it you've tried other headphones?

dal wrote:
    I take it you've tried other headphones?

why? if it does not mute the speaker then the socket is not working right, even a dead set of headphones should mute the speaker

Edit. re installed the firmware and seems ok now, thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 paddypaws

Looks like it's sold out now So the N780 @ 420 euro is your only choice on http://www.expansys.ie/ so if anyone is late to the party try eBay.
    I had the same problem with the headphones last night so I’ll try the update. But the really annoying thing is when I type with the stylus and hit E (most popular letter in the alphabet) it throws up W anyone else??

Advertisement