Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flaws (Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

One major flaw is that Trelawney knew that Snape interrupted the prophecy, which would mean he heard it all, as she goes into a trance when she makes her real predictions.

I was convinced this meant that snape purposely only told Voldy half the prophecy. However, The Prince's Tale, contradicts this. He told Dumbledore he only told him what he'd heard. I see no reason why he would have lied here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

hmmm... will have to look that one up, alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

she could have come out of her trance and seen Aberforth throwing Snape out and put two and two together, or asked Dumbledore what all the comotion was when she came to and saw the bar in a bit of an uproar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Yeah but Dumbledore isn't going to tell her something like that - it's pretty dangerous information for someone he doesn't know or trust

oh, I never thought about that, this was before he turned over to the good side, well it was what made him turn, really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

JC 2K3 wrote:
    we like discussing the book, what's wrong with that?

Nothing whatsoever :) . what I'm saying is, they were not written with a view to withstanding "adult" scrutiny. It's not War & Peace, it's the Famous Five

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Anyone who thinks the books bear any resemblence to The Famous Five hasn't read past book 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Although it would be funny to see Ron, Hermione and Harry fight George, Julian, Anne and whatever the last guys name was from the famous five.... The famous five's mystery solving skills would be no match for Harry's magic!

it's dick (how in the hell did you forget that one :P )... and the dog timmy too.

he might be able to take on hedwig... but id rather not see it happen thankyou very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I can remember only one flaw, and even then I'd need someone to confirm it for me.

Can't remember which book it was, but it was certainly early in the series. Hagrid makes a comment along the lines of "there wasn't a single dark wizard that didn't come out of slytherin" At the time Sirius Black was still thought to be the one who betrayed the Potters and a follower of you-know-who. But Sirius was a Gryffindor!

• Advertisement

well I hardly believe every songle Slytherin ever went bad, there are always exceptions that prove the rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Anyone who thinks the books bear any resemblence to The Famous Five hasn't read past book 2.

I didn't mean literally :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

He mightnt have known harry was a horcrux, it was a bad night for him that night, i doubt he'd have known what he was exactly feeling!!!

Nagini was definitely a horcrux, why else would he have put her in the protective bubble?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I can remember only one flaw, and even then I'd need someone to confirm it for me.

Can't remember which book it was, but it was certainly early in the series. Hagrid makes a comment along the lines of "there wasn't a single dark wizard that didn't come out of slytherin" At the time Sirius Black was still thought to be the one who betrayed the Potters and a follower of you-know-who. But Sirius was a Gryffindor!

Hagrid meant all wizards out of slytherin are evil and not that all evil wizards are from slytherin! Hardly a flaw! Hagrid got loads of things wrong

yeah Hagrid = teh n00b when it comes to knowing who's good and who's bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Isn't the line "there's hardly a witch or wizard that's gone bad that wasn't in slytherin"... ir something like that. That doesn't mean all bad witches/wizards were in Slytherin, just most of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

The Bollox wrote:

2: in COS, Percy, as a prefect, took 5 points from Griffindor, but in OoTP neither Ron nor Hermione could take points away from anyone, despite the fact they were prefects.

Was'nt Percy head boy? That entitles him to take points from his own house, which a prefect cannot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Was'nt Percy head boy? That entitles him to take points from his own house, which a prefect cannot.
    He didn't become head boy until the third book I think.

i think that what that hagrid thing meant was that all the deatheaters were from slytherin. didnt mean all evil wizards were from slytherin, look at horace slughorn, but it did mean that the qualities that were associated with slytherin were the ones which singled out the witches and wizards who were most likely to turn bad.

once deatheaters were in power though, many turned to their side... whether through cowardice, threats, or whatever.

also, now that i think of it... were voldemort and harry actually distantly related?

like i siad earlier, i gave the book to my bro, so cant check for myself... but the family of the 'three brothers', with the hallows... they were percevill, or something like that, who was a descendant of gaunt, who was a predecessor of voldemort.

but, wasnt harry also related to the third of those brothers, who had passed down the invisibility cloak?

not a flaw thing, was just wondeirng/checking.

and i do remember, now that it's mentioned, ron threatening to put dean/séamus in detention, as he was bein an ass to harry...

but in the order of the phoenix, it's only when malfoy and them become members of the inquisitorial squad that they are able to dock points from other houses, which they couldnt do when they were just prefects.

hmm... sounds like a flaw alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The Bollox wrote:
    1: in GoF, at the start, Harry tells Sirius in a letter that Dudley has thrown his Playstation out the window. This couldn't have happened as it was the summer of 1994, and the PS didn't come out until the Winter of 1995

The books don't go like that. Chronologically, it may have been 1994, but the book was set in the same year as it was published, because it's easier. Therefore, it was about 2000 (?) and Playstations did exist.

With regards to the Horcruxes, this is how it goes:

Voldemort meant to make 6 horcruxes, and keep the 7th piece of his soul in his body. So he put his soul into:
    1. The locket
    2. The diary
    3. Hufflepuff's cup
    4. The ring
    5. The diadem
    6. Nagini

He kept the 7th piece in himself and thought he was done. However, when he went to kill Harry, something went wrong and Voldemort's soul got split AGAIN, and Harry became the 7th horcrux, meaning Voldemort's soul was in 8 pieces.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh, and the major flaw is that there's only 10 people in Harry's year in Gryffindor, meaning there's 70 in Gryffindor total, but she repeatedly refers to way more than that amount of people.

where does it say there are only supposed to be 10 Gryffindors per year?

no-one says there's SUPPOSED to be, but it's an average, I mean you can't guarantee exactly 40 witches and wizards are going to become 11 every year, and that they will perfectly split into quarters

But where does it say that there're only supposed to be ~280 Wizards/Witches in Hogwarts?

I never said that, it's an average. Just like in any school there's going to be an average student count in each class every year

So why does it matter if more than 10 Gryffindors are mentioned?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Faith wrote:
    With regards to the Horcruxes, this is how it goes:

Voldemort meant to make 6 horcruxes, and keep the 7th piece of his soul in his body. So he put his soul into:
    1. The locket
    2. The diary
    3. Hufflepuff's cup
    4. The ring
    5. The diadem
    6. Nagini

He kept the 7th piece in himself and thought he was done. However, when he went to kill Harry, something went wrong and Voldemort's soul got split AGAIN, and Harry became the 7th horcrux, meaning Voldemort's soul was in 8 pieces.
    I think that the horcruxes went:
    1. The Locket
    2. The diary
    3. Hufflepuffs cup
    4. The ring
    5. The diadem
    6. Harry - but he had meant to create Nagini at this point and presumed that it had failed completely so then carried on and did...
    7. Nagini - by killing the old bloke in the Riddle house.

He still ended up with 8 pieces without knowing about it though so it probably doesn't really matter I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Faith wrote:
    The books don't go like that. Chronologically, it may have been 1994, but the book was set in the same year as it was published, because it's easier. Therefore, it was about 2000 (?) and Playstations did exist.

But it doesn't seem that the books are set in the same year that they're published. When Harry sees his parents gravestones, it says that they died on October 31st 1981. I can't remember if he was just three months old, or 1 year and 3 months when they died, but basically, it means he was either born in 1980 or 1981, so Deathly Hallows is set in 1997 or 1998.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,864 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

which means playstations wouldnt have existed at all! Sonnofab*!!
    But seriously let that one go: its just a playstation.

Okay I dont have the books at my disposal so I have to ask this one:

- In book1, Voldemort is clearly still the shapeless form of himself that failed to kill harry
    - In book4, Voldemort is ressurected in the ritual - what was involved there? Was a horcrux used to help him along with harrys blood? How did his body take shape then when he was placed in the cauldron?

- when and where did Harry first see the diadem? which book?

As for Hogwarts: Ive learned to disregard everything said about its scale or the seating capacity of the great hall and what not. In book 1 there were only 7 professors and by book 7 they had added one for astronomy and fortune telling and muggle studies....so yeah. I just gave up.

- What compells buckbeak the Hippogriff, free and clear, to show up on the back of a flock of thestrals at the final battle?

- Why not hire muggle-born islamic terrorists to capture harry potter and brainwash him into carrying an Ak-47 and a pair of shoebombs?

- Greyback get killed under a chandelier....then re-appears at the final battle again.

- How come they nevr just casted Immobulus on the Whomping Willow? Worked in the ****ty movie.

- if the 5th law of transfiguration denies the conjuration of food, how in the 2nd book does McGonnagle (spelling sucks!) produce a plate for both Harry and Ron that supplies a theoretically endless supply of sandwhiches?

- Why doesnt the painting of Phineas just tell them he knows where the sword of Gryffindor is? Why doesnt Snape just have him do so after setting up a prime location for a test of valor?

- was it book 5, that contained a couple dirty references such as cho getting wet or something like that.... it always disturbed me to read it in a childrens novel.

- Mrs.weasley's epic battle with Belatrix was just that: epic!

- Why didnt Snape confide in McGonagle the truth about that night on the tower?

Yeah thats all out of me, for the moment.

Advertisement