Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flaws (Spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

The Bollox wrote:
    is it not obvious to anyone else that she's making this shít up on the spot?
    Of course she is, but seeing as she created the whole story she's entitled to ;)
    Personally I thought my explanation would have made a lot more sense, but she seems to just panic and give the fastest answer that comes to mind when she's put on the spot in some of these interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I mean to all you people who want to know what the otehr characters went onto become, get yourself an 8-ball and ask it the questions you want answered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

The Bollox wrote:
    is it not obvious to anyone else that she's making this shít up on the spot?
    You mean there isn't witches and wizards? Thats the joy of being JKR, you can

The Bollox wrote:
    I mean to all you people who want to know what the otehr characters went onto become, get yourself an 8-ball and ask it the questions you want answered
    That's not half the fun though, she made the rest of it up so the answers don't seem "right" unless she gives them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

here are a few things troubling me.

1.when harry arrives at tonks' house injured,ted tonks says that he mended his injuries overnight.yet in OotP it says that ted tonks is a muggle!

2.in the early chapters (before the Trace) bill and ron both say "voldemort" at one point.ron says something about "hunting down voldemort in a mobile library" surely this is out of character for them and they would have always said You-Know-Who, even before finding out about the Trace??

3. snape says to lily in the princes tale that it doesnt matter if shes muggle-born.he also sneers at james for wanting to be brawny rather than brainy.so why is he so eager,even before starting hogwarts,to be put in slytherin (where most people hate muggle borns and a lot are brawny but not brainy i.e crabbe, goyle, flint)
    snape is obviously intelligent,and hes friends with lily despite her parentage. so would he not have been better suited to Ravenclaw???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 TScul

I had that same question about Tonks' dad. I haven't checked it out yet but someone I said it to said that her dad was muggle born, not a muggle. Same as Lily and Hermione.

And I'm only going by memory but was there not some comment about 'a hooded figure at the next table' (i.e. Snape) overhearing about the prophecy but then there's mention of him hearing it from outside the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I have the biggest flaw ever:

If the Dursleys hated Harry so much then why would they take him to an optician?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Another extract from a web interview:
    Adwait313: Has the jinx on the dada teaching post at hogwarts been lifted
    J.K. Rowling: Yes, at last! Incidentally, I know some have asked about Quirrell with regard to this question. He was teaching at Hogwarts for more than a year, but NOT in the post of D.A.D.A. teacher. He was previously Muggle Studies professor.

So there you go, he did teach another subject before! And he was obviously appointed DADA teacher during the summer then.

Thanks! I guess we kind of figured that but it's never actually said.

I also thought Ted Tonks was a muggle, not muggle born. Sirius said it when he is discussing the Black famly tree. I must check when I'm home from work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

watna wrote:
    Thanks! I guess we kind of figured that but it's never actually said.

I also thought Ted Tonks was a muggle, not muggle born. Sirius said it when he is discussing the Black famly tree. I must check when I'm home from work!
    Then why would he be on the run from the authorities? The ministry were only tracking down muggle born witches because they believed that if you weren't a descendent of a witch/wizard then you must have stolen the power. They weren't chasing just ordinary muggles

gubbie wrote:
    Then why would he be on the run from the authorities? The ministry were only tracking down muggle born witches because they believed that if you weren't a descendent of a witch/wizard then you must have stolen the power. They weren't chasing just ordinary muggles

That's why I'm confused. i could have sworn that sirius said he was a muggle in book 5 but then in book 7 he's a muggle-born wizard and is being hunted. I was surprised when he fixed Harry's face becuase in me head he was a muggle and can't do magic. *me goes off to check fifth book*

• Advertisement

Ok, I just remember another flaw that bugged me. Hagri's father was a wizard but his mother was a giant. How on earth would a wizard successfully mate with a giant, surely his tiny manhood would not satisfy her needs (maybe that's why she left) and she would squash him. And if they are as brutal as we are told in the books why would Mr Hagrid want to fornicate with a giant? Tis very strange altogether!

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I have the biggest flaw ever:

If the Dursleys hated Harry so much then why would they take him to an optician?
    Most English primary schools arrange things like sight/hearing tests for their pupils at a young age, particularly if they are displaying difficulties, I would have assumed he got his glasses through the school optician. I'm not entirely sure if it's still common practice because I haven't lived there for many years, but it certainly would have been at the time when JK Rowling began writing. That's if she even thought of that at all, maybe she didn't consider the Dursleys to be so cruel that they would have allowed him to go blind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

watna wrote:
    Ok, I just remember another flaw that bugged me. Hagri's father was a wizard but his mother was a giant. How on earth would a wizard successfully mate with a giant, surely his tiny manhood would not satisfy her needs (maybe that's why she left) and she would squash him.
    hmmm....the only answer i can think of is that mr.hagrid was,literally,hung like a giant.lucky b*****d!!!
    watna wrote:
    And if they are as brutal as we are told in the books why would Mr Hagrid want to fornicate with a giant? Tis very strange altogether!
    well hagrid junior played with giant spiders and had a dragon,a three headed dog and blast-ended skrewts.perhaps hagrid senior had the same masochistic nature!!!the hagrids tend not to see the obvious brutality of vicious creatures.

Ok, I've another flaw. After seeing the 5th film my bf has been reading all the Harry Potter books so he spotted this one, I'm taking his word for it. At the end of the goblet of fire, after Cedric has died Harry and the others get the carriages down to the train to go home. JK Rowling still says the carriages are horseless but Harry should be able to see the thestrals because he has seen death. My bf noticed this because he knew about the thestrals from the 5th film and was expecting there to be talk about them at the end of the fourth book.

that's one I noticed aswell, I forgot all about it though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Rowling's explanation of that is that harry didn't see death before, he just saw a green light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

so when did he see death for the first time?? i can't remember, i just presumed it was Cedric!!

yeah, that was it. SlutMonkey must think we're talking about before the end of the 4th book. i.e. before Cedric died

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Flaw, ginger parent means all kids will be ginger.

who exactly wasnt ginger then?????????!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's the prblem, they all were! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

[Biology nerd]
    The gene for red hair is recessive. In order to have red hair, you need to have all 4 alleles for red hair. If you have babies with someone who also has red hair, it's guaranteed more or less that you'll have kids with red hair.
    [/Biology nerd]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Why did Barty Crouch Jr. in the guise of Mad-Eye not just create a Portkey out of any old thing and make sure Harry touched it, instead of going to the elaborate plan of entering him in the Tri Wizard Tournament and making sure he got through three difficult rounds to touch the Cup? Seems like there were much easier ways of getting Harry to that graveyard.

Of course the obvious answer is that there would be no Book 4 if he'd done that. It's still a great and exciting book, just the plot was a bit contrived, IMO.

well Voldy wasn't ready, he wasn't strong enough to be made fully human again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

quickbeam wrote:
    Why did Barty Crouch Jr. in the guise of Mad-Eye not just create a Portkey out of any old thing and make sure Harry touched it, instead of going to the elaborate plan of entering him in the Tri Wizard Tournament and making sure he got through three difficult rounds to touch the Cup? Seems like there were much easier ways of getting Harry to that graveyard.

Of course the obvious answer is that there would be no Book 4 if he'd done that. It's still a great and exciting book, just the plot was a bit contrived, IMO.
    Well, a similar argument can be made as to why Voldemort didn't make horcruxes out of random, non-obvious objects. The answer is the serial killer mentality of associating grandeur with killings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Because people would wonder where Harry had gone! Spiriting him away in the middle of the tournament, hidden by the hedge maze, was the only way that he could disappear without it seeming fishy. Remember Voldemort's need for constant secrecy? Harry Potter evaporating would attract a lot of suspicion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

And disappearing at the end of the tournament didn't raise an eyebrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

If you have to use a basilisk or the Sword to destroy a Horcrux then how come Harry died when Voldemort used Avada Kedavra on him?

Voldemort destroyed the horcrux but only used a killing curse??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Lil Kitten wrote:
    If you have to use a basilisk or the Sword to destroy a Horcrux then how come Harry died when Voldemort used Avada Kedavra on him?

Voldemort destroyed the horcrux but only used a killing curse??

The sword and the basilisk are only a few of the things that can be used, Dumbledor says this in HBP, I think. Also remember, Harry was a living breeding thing where other Horcruxes were objects, apart from Nagini which Voldemort kept safe when he knew they were looking for them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

well harry was only the vessel for the horcrux really, his entire being wasnt a horcrux itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dublin_guy

Voldemort thought the Horxruxs wer locket, ring, diadem, diary, snake, cup and that de last piece of his soul was in himself....he didnt realise Harry was a Horcrux!!!

Advertisement