Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pleasantly plump people - genetic or laziness?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Terry wrote:
    What age are you?

I ate huge amounts of crap throughout my teen years and I was underweight.

It catches up with you once you reach a certain age.*

*depends on each individual.

Good point Terry.

I wasn't underweight but I was trying to gain weight and couldn't... now...trying to lose weight...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Sandor wrote:
    Fat people are by and large (forgive the pun) not because they want to be fat persay, but they're just too lazy not to be. Poor diet, over eating, lack of exersice and what have you. Someone earlier in this thread said why should you care about other peoples weight or something like that. I'd like to answer that by saying I care about the state of the world we live in and obesity is a pandemic and a morbidly damning indication of current reality and where we are heading as a race. 'I think it's time to trim the herd' as Billy Connolly once said of people who required tags on hairdryers sayng 'do not use in shower'.

Yes and no, tbh obesity does run in families though as such poor eating habits run in families too. Does it matter if its genetic or not at the end of the day nature or nurture you still if your coming from an obese family have a higher tendency to be obese.

I dont even really think its laziness, is a heroin addict lazy because they are addicted to heroine, no they are an addict. Complusive over-eating (which results in obesity) can be an eating disorder. So it can be an illness btw rather than a physical medical condition. The result is the same. So people was argue that it physological illness are not real illness, but honestly it doesnt matter how clever or educated you are, you can still experience eating disorders or depression etc.

Of course every adult should take responsiblity for their eating habits, every parent should take responsibility for their childs nutrion. There have been a lot of programs on childhood obesity (just got sky) and what i seen was absolutely appaling. For example the obese child ate her brothers (not obese) packet of crisips. mothers response was
    "you didnt need them" what like her brother did?
    Another program result in the child in question developing habits consistent with an eating disorder (She was 11).
    Sure laziness may result in being overweight, so can poor education (i fully believe that dieting the way it is promoted makes you fat). We bombard children with advertising for crap, tell them through advertising that to be attractive you must be slim. Advertise unhealthy diet plans and all the while its a quick fix solution and wonder why we have a growing obesity epidemic? Its fair to say that children are more subseptible to this than adults, put advertising is done the way its done because it works.

Anyhow just my 2c

spooiirt!! wrote:
    Fat people do not deserve respect.
    who are you to say who is worthy and who is not? ffs get over yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Dev 17

Fat people do not deserve respect.

What about Santa Claus? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dev 17 wrote:
    I disagree, being gay is fine I see nothing wrong with what people do in their lives or bedrooms it's consensual and there is no harm. We all know this.

However justifying homosexuality on the grounds that if animals do it, it automatically makes it acceptable and natural. It is of course acceptable but the grounds for your reasoning in concluding that are flawed.

It has also been observed that some animals are racist in their own species. Grey squirrels killing red squirrels for instance. Animals are not a role model for human behavior.

I hope you see where I'm coming from.
    The only thing though, and this is just me. I accept I'm no expert and I could be wrong. But animals aren't subject to social conditioning like humans are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Some animals are.
    "Runt of the litter" is the first thing that springs to mind.

Many animals have social groupings based on familial grounds.
    Fair enough, they don't tend to give you grief for being gay (as far as i know), but there is the risk of attack if you stray from the pack and enter the territory of another pack.

Opposible thumbs are what got us where we are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Terry wrote:

Opposible thumbs are what got us where we are now.

thats why the chimps will rule one day, they have opposable digits on both hands and feet, I think they do anyway, someone will point it out if I'm wrong here

MooseJam wrote:
    thats why the chimps will rule one day, they have opposable digits on both hands and feet, I think they do anyway, someone will point it out if I'm wrong here
    You'll be fine.
    Monkeyfudge is on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

The-Rigger wrote:
    so in order to not be fat, large people should not allowed themselves to eat more than a handful of food a day, and be starving all their lives?

Some large people have bad diets and bad lifestyles, no doubt, but some do not eat a great deal, no more than you or I, metabolism, it exists, I'm on the other end of the scale, I eat a lot, I don't exercise much, I am a skinny.

Rigger that is not what I said at all.

It is this PC bs that has allowed Fat, not "large" but fat, to become a social norm and an impending epidemic, if not current.

The OP asked was obesity genetic. My reference to the concentration camp the following: If obesity was a result of genetics, then there would have been fat people coming out of the camp. There wasn't.

This arguement that "I eat the same as everyone else and I exercise regularly but still put on weight" - is nonsense. Now knowing the human body and the weird and wonderful things it can do, it is possible that there is an extreme minority of people out there who cannot shed weight.

However the vast majority of fat people are fat as a result of bad diet and lack of exercise.

Dudess wrote:
    People in concentration camps are denied food and what they do get is very meagre. You can't compare them to people in normal situations who are surrounded by massive choices of food of which they can avail whenever they want, and generally don't have anyone preventing them from eating.

Dudess: Read the OP's first post.

Obesity is a result of laziness, not genetics.

What you are describing here is people being lazy, opting for convenience food and not having the willpower to live a healthy life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Genetics partly, industrial revolution mostly.

Burn it down.

Mear wrote:
    Dudess: Read the OP's first post.

Obesity is a result of laziness, not genetics.

What you are describing here is people being lazy, opting for convenience food and not having the willpower to live a healthy life.
    Oh I agree that obesity is not down to genetics - anyone who argues that is talking complete ****. But I think using the example of a person in a concentration camp is a bit extreme. They are denied food, people in normal situations - including those who eat healthily - have more control over what, when and how much they eat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Dev 17 wrote:
    I disagree, being gay is fine I see nothing wrong with what people do in their lives or bedrooms it's consensual and there is no harm. We all know this.

However justifying homosexuality on the grounds that if animals do it, it automatically makes it acceptable and natural. It is of course acceptable but the grounds for your reasoning in concluding that are flawed.

It has also been observed that some animals are racist in their own species. Grey squirrels killing red squirrels for instance. Animals are not a role model for human behavior.

I hope you see where I'm coming from.
    The argument I was replying to was that it was unnatural
    that's what I responded to, not "does that make it right"

Dudess in this context it is not extreme.

The question was simple: Are fat people a result of genetics or laziness.

I used the Concentration camp example, as it proved that genetics did not account for people being skinny there (read underweight and malnourished) but rather a lack of food.

Therefore, the majority of people who blame it on genetics are talking rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

nesf wrote:
    Um, why would that make a debate unnecessary? Would it really change something fundamental if homosexuality was found to be caused by conditions in the womb?
    I don't think it would....
    Dudess wrote:
    JC 2K3: So you see a particular girl and you find yourself wildly sexually attracted to her and just looking at her gives you a hard-on - you believe there's a possibility that this isn't simply innate, that it could be due to nurturing?
    I do.

I'm not an expert on human biology/psychology, how should I know what's innate or due to nurture?

I mean, "it just feels so natural" isn't really an argument IMO.

As for obesity, it is quite clear that if one eats too much, they will get fat. Now I understand that some people may be more susceptible to putting on weight than others and that this might be genetic, but really don't think this is an excuse for being as morbidly obese as some people are.

I'm not trying to have a go at you or be smart but I'm really surprised you reckon there's an argument that such a primal urge could be due to nurturing. Do you think hunger might be due to nurturing?
    "it just feels so natural" isn't really an argument IMO
    Why?

Dudess wrote:
    Do you think hunger might be due to nurturing?
    No, but what food you like is(probably) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Dev 17

Did anyone hear about that girl who ate a perfectly healthy diet but was extremely obese simply because her body wasn't able to sweat. That is a condition where somebody can't help but be obese. 90% of the time people are just lazy and become fat and blame it on something else like bad genes.

I do have a problem with people who think that it's their lifestyle choice to be fat and none of our business. It is our buisness, it's proven that being grossly obese can significantly increase the chances of heart attacks and other potentially dangerous diseases. When it's our tax euros paying for your bloody operation and stay in hospital it becomes my business. The fact is our hospitals are full enough and we don't need people using beds that could be easily avoided.

It also reflects badly on the country when people come here and see fat people stuffing their faces in fast food restaurants.

[/rant]

Dev 17 wrote:
    It also reflects badly on the country when people come here and see fat people stuffing their faces in fast food restaurants.
    Yeah, because that only happens in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Imo the folks in the fitness forum have it nailed down, in that there are three body types. endomorphs, ectomorphs and inbetween(mesomorphs).

Im not sure, but endo's put weight on easily, where as ecto's dont. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Of course there are factors such as diet and excerise as well, so its not a valid excuse to blame your body type solely. But your body type can define the form of excerise you react to best. If you are some one who gains weight easy, then weight training is the best solution for you in that you will increase your metabolism, gain muscle and improve your fitness in a way that will not dishearten you unlike those who try running the **** out of themselves for a few weeks and then get pissed off when no clear results appear. Also diets needn't be extreme, just learning how to cook and avoiding processed foods outright should provide a satifying result.

• Advertisement

Dev 17 wrote:
    I do have a problem with people who think that it's their lifestyle choice to be fat and none of our business. It is our buisness, it's proven that being grossly obese can significantly increase the chances of heart attacks and other potentially dangerous diseases. When it's our tax euros paying for your bloody operation and stay in hospital it becomes my business. The fact is our hospitals are full enough and we don't need people using beds that could be easily avoided.
    Whatever happened to that "fat tax" they were going to introduce?

I've no problem with people overeating if they don't care about getting fat and putting their health at risk, but like smoking and drinking, they should have to pay extra for unhealthy food in extra tax to pay for the potential health facilities they may avail of in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Maybe everybody over a certain percentage of body fat could be forced to do some sort of manual labour as a community service (whilst wearing suitably embarrassing logo shirts). It would help the general environment, reduce county council labour costs, make the fat people slimmer, reduce medical bills for obesity-related illnesses, and make people more conscious of looking after themselves because nobody wants to be on the "fat-b@stards road maintenance and sanitary works team". On the other hand they'd probably all just get a doctor's cert to say they're too fat to do anything strenuous and there goes that scheme straight out the window......oh well, back to the drawing board....:rolleyes:

I hope all the young thin people are bookmarking this page.
    I want you all to come back to it in 5 years time and eat your words.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

No, not words! They're about 1,000 kcal a letter. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

I have enormous appetites for everything. Will power seems powerless against my urges.
    Could this be addictive personality.
    Definitely not laziness...

Blush_01 wrote:
    No, not words! They're about 1,000 kcal a letter. :eek:
    In five (not 5) years time they will all be fat, but they will be using txt spk, so it balances out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I think that at nearly midnight on a Tuesday this thread is going to be heavily biased by the postings of the tubby doughnut munchers typing on crumb-strewn keyboards with chubby fingers.

- I'm going to check back at 7am when the the slim folk are busily pacing about, jogging, and working-out while munching muesli and simultaneously posting on their PDA's via a slender digit or two.

Raiser wrote:
    I think that at nearly midnight on a Tuesday this thread is going to be heavily biased by the postings of the tubby doughnut munchers typing on crumb-strewn keyboards with chubby fingers.

- I'm going to check back at 7am when the the slim folk are busily pacing about, jogging, and working-out while munching muesli and simultaneously posting on their PDA's via a slender digit or two.
    ...while stuck on a toilet because of their high fibre diet.

dame wrote:
    Maybe everybody over a certain percentage of body fat could be forced to do some sort of manual labour as a community service (whilst wearing suitably embarrassing logo shirts). It would help the general environment, reduce county council labour costs, make the fat people slimmer, reduce medical bills for obesity-related illnesses, and make people more conscious of looking after themselves because nobody wants to be on the "fat-b@stards road maintenance and sanitary works team". On the other hand they'd probably all just get a doctor's cert to say they're too fat to do anything strenuous and there goes that scheme straight out the window......oh well, back to the drawing board....:rolleyes:

I am intrigued by your wish to humilate fat people. Do you think that they arent obviously identifiable and therefore need to wear tee-shirts to help indentify them?

What is with all the judgement in this thread, skinny does not equal healthy btw.

Fat does not equal lazy or greedy either. I no plenty of lazy skinny people too.

No-one is prefect, not everyones goals or priorities or values are the same. I dont believe anyone chooses to be obese and going about changing the habits of a lifetime is bloody hard work.

• Advertisement

You choose to be obese when you keep eating & not exercising.

You choose to be healthy when you eat health and exercise.

No one here once said that Skinny = Healthy and I agree with you that it most certainly does not.

Advertisement