Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pleasantly plump people - genetic or laziness?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Being over weight is a choice IMO and someone please present facts that homosexuality is not:rolleyes: The best I could possibly put homosexuality down to would be some sort of mental deficiency.....and I dont believe the vast majority of gay people have such a condition. So how can it be genetic? Otherwise it IS a choice but people refuse to accept that. Thats up to them. Personally id like to keep this OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

darkman2 wrote:
    Being over weight is a choice IMO and someone please present facts that homosexuality is not:rolleyes: The best I could possibly put homosexuality down to would be some sort of mental deficiency.....and I dont believe the vast majority of gay people have such a condition. So how can it be genetic? Otherwise it IS a choice but people refuse to accept that. Thats up to them. Personally id like to keep this OT.

oh my god shut up! you're digging yourself a bigger and bigger hole the more times you open your mouth.
    as for keeping it on topic? you're just saying that cause you a)dont want anyone to argue with you and b)you know, really, that you're talking sh!te. its after hours for fecks sake..off topic-ness is the name of the game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

darkman2 wrote:
    some sort of mental deficiency
    God above, it gets better.
    Otherwise it IS a choice but people refuse to accept that
    No, I refuse to accept attitudes like yours. It's NOT a choice. A person doesn't CHOOSE to fancy a member of their own gender - they just fancy them. They also wouldn't choose to live a lifestyle which involves having to put up with abuse from people like you.

Dudess wrote:

No, I refuse to accept attitudes like yours.

Thats your problem not mine. BTW id recommend you read my post again:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

darkman2 wrote:
    Being over weight is a choice IMO and someone please present facts that homosexuality is not:rolleyes:
    So you think you could choose to be gay? Like you could just decide to start being attracted to men, right now, that easy?
    I'm not convinced homosexuality is genetic, but I don't think it's a choice.
    On weight, I think it's a combo.

• Advertisement

Crucifix wrote:
    So you think you could choose to be gay? Like you could just decide to start being attracted to men, right now, that easy?

No but I think its to do with upbringing. What young people are exposed to rather then this silly cop out about how nature apparently intends some people to be gay through their physical or mental setup. Take this 'ADHD' for example. Complete bull and an excuse for teens running riot.......its the same principle.

darkman2 wrote:
    No but I think its to do with upbringing. What young people are exposed to rather then this silly cop out about how nature apparently intends some people to be gay through their physical or mental setup. Take this 'ADHD' for example. Complete bull and an excuse for teens running riot.......its the same principle.

i love how you randomly bring in a disease/disorder/sexual orientation that has NOTHING to do with what is being spoken about, not one iota.. and even if it does, you cant even use it as an example properly..

Upbringing my hole. What about all those gay people whose families won't accept the fact that they're gay?

Dudess wrote:
    Upbringing my hole. What about all those gay people whose families won't accept the fact that they're gay?

Use your cop on. Why do you think that is? If I had a child, say, one son and he said to me he was gay. Would you understand any of the consequences of that? Or are you too blinkered to realise it.

ellenmelon wrote:
    i love how you randomly bring in a disease/disorder/sexual orientation that has NOTHING to do with what is being spoken about, not one iota..

Even though you misread the context.....exactly.......I WANT to stay on topic.

• Advertisement

Don't be an idiot. That's not what I'm referring to, and you know it. I'm referring to your claim that homosexuality is "caused" by upbringing - by how the person is raised within the family. Well, if the responsibility lies with the parents, how come so many parents don't accept their son/daughter is gay? They, according, to you originally intended for this to happen, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Not that i really want to get too involved in this paticular car-crash of a debate, but i found something recently that makes for interesting reading on this whole nature vs nurture debate, and i feel like sharing.

The Science of gaydar

basically, a guy called Richard Lippa has done a study on so called gaydar, and has found that in the majority of gay people have certain physical traits that can mark them out as gay to other people.

Though lippa himself doesn't believe that this 100% proves that people are born gay and it might just as well be about the globalisation of culture as the biological nature of gayness, but it's interesting none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I have to say the majority of overweight people I've met seem happy enough to sit on their asses, drink soft drinks and eat junk food and moan about how they're putting on weight yet cant see why.
    At least from my point I've spent some time researching my diet, constantly exercise my ass off and practice what I preach. So I have no time for people who winge about their weight if they're not willing to do anything about it.

So laziness from my point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

This thread is one long instance of trolling. Here we see the same nonsense generated by people who have little to excite them. Gays and fat people, not much intellectual rigor here

mickd wrote:
    This thread is one long instance of trolling. Here we see the same nonsense generated by people who have little to excite them. Gays and fat people, not much intellectual rigor here

true true on the trolling thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

darkman2 wrote:

Heh, well its nice to see nature has been fairly selective in the intelligence genes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Small proportion = Glandular, Genetic etc.

Vast Majority = Lazy/Couldnt give a toss

FACT!
    darkman2 wrote:
    If people want to be gay I dont care but anyone who thinks being gay is natural is pushing it too far IMHO.

So you think people wake up one morning and decide " You know what would be fun, being gay. Ok from now on im gay" And then they suddenly no longer find the opposite sex attractive. You dont think that theory is in any way ridiculous?

Oh hold on a sec I just saw this:
    darkman2 wrote:
    Take this 'ADHD' for example. Complete bull and an excuse for teens running riot.......its the same principle.
    Turns out your either a troll or you just have an odd view on the world. A kind of "If they're not like me then I dont understand it so it mustnt be right" view

cooperguy wrote:
    So you think people wake up one morning and decide " You know what would be fun, being gay. Ok from now on im gay" And then they suddenly no longer find the opposite sex attractive. You dont think that theory is in any way ridiculous?
    cooperguy, that's a perfectly sound theory. You're the one who's being ridiculous by questioning it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I knew a lot of plump people who were on the lard side of life when they were a kid but know a lot of them are either skinny, pretty lean, or............still the same as when they were young. A lot of times I find it can almost be both factors; genetic & being a hungry, lazy bastard. My jaw always slaps to the ground when a mate of mine eats some pretty fúcked up food (usually anything wrapped in bacon and then deep-fried) that would kill any other human being. That being said he drives everywhere and the only time he walks is to the pub from his house :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

There are a fair few links between genetics and addictons tho, so its kinda on topic but some people r more prone to be addicted to junk food and be lazy

actualy slightly off but on topic, something I saw that really annoyed me a while go, and I've seen a few more since, is over here the Medicare - kinda NHS, SEHB.... thingy, GIVE morbidly obese people - who now have restriced mobility due to their size - FREEEEE Scooterthingys like this pf1sfrontier.jpg to help them get roundthe city sothey can wheel themselves down tothe foodcourt and stuff tehmselves somemore... While at the same time smoking s Banned everywhere.

So the PC brigade goe sall NicotineNAzi and we have a complete smokin ban in someareas - Apparently, dunno how true, but theres a place in the states that ifyou drivethrough in yer car smokin a cig with the window down y'd be done- and whe hve the smokin ban, $10 for a pack of cigs, Publichealthwarnins on the packets, the whole shebang.

Aint it about time we started treatin Seveeere Obesity the same way instead of rewardin it with free scooters?

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote:
    Don't be an idiot. That's not what I'm referring to, and you know it. I'm referring to your claim that homosexuality is "caused" by upbringing - by how the person is raised within the family. Well, if the responsibility lies with the parents, how come so many parents don't accept their son/daughter is gay? They, according, to you originally intended for this to happen, no?

My mind is long made up. Its not going to change. Someone mentioned 'car crash' thread. Thats your fault for taking this completely OT for hijacking a sentence in this thread....so anyone who thinks I took this OT or wanted to discuss gay people or anything else should read again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

darkman2 wrote:
    My mind is long made up. Its not going to change.
    “Stubborn and ardent clinging to one's opinion is the best proof of stupidity”

Michel de Montaigne (French Philosopher and Writer. 1533-1592)

Oh right. So you acknowledge you're talking sh1te but "your mind is made up". Good method of arguing.

CiaranC wrote:
    “Stubborn and ardent clinging to one's opinion is the best proof of stupidity”

Michel de Montaigne (French Philosopher and Writer. 1533-1592)

you win! *high five* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

darkman2 wrote:
    My mind is long made up. Its not going to change. Someone mentioned 'car crash' thread. Thats your fault for taking this completely OT for hijacking a sentence in this thread....so anyone who thinks I took this OT or wanted to discuss gay people or anything else should read again.
    A conversation evolves and expands to include different topics thats how it works in real life and in After Hours you are allowed to do the same thing (to a certain extent anyway)

Dudess wrote:
    Oh right. So you acknowledge you're talking sh1te but "your mind is made up". Good method of arguing.

Like I say my mind is made up. If you want to discuss gay people with others, which you seem very interested in doing, then start another thread like I suggested earlier. There was NEVER going to be an argument on this thread about gay people. You tried to provoke one. It is completely OT. End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

darkman2 wrote:
    I ask because increasingly we see this argument that being obese or fat may be genetic and this dubious claim is naturally enough supported by the politically correct among us much in the same way as the argument that homosexuals are gay mostly not out of choice.....

From the 1st post in this thread.. off topic???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I think the OPs getting a very hard time here. I would agree with him that a persons sexual orientation may be due to nurture rather than nature but we really can't be sure. At the most I would say genes may cause a person to be more inclined in another direction and even then I don't see how that would exclude the propensity towards heterosexual relations. As far as I can see the OP is saying the natural and normal thing is for somebody to be hetero. I agree. It's very basic and can't really be argued. I'm perfectly fine with someone being gay, theres no hate here. I believe he was touching on the fact that if homosexuality were genetic there wouldn't be any. To pass genes on you need to hop on the good foot with the other crowd, don't you know. And if they are then passing on genes (homosexual in nature) without being gay themselves that would bring into play the question of nurture. Take into account spartans for example. All gay (:D) Generalisation there, but they were bummers! :D:D It was through nurture. There upbringing. When it came time to have sex with a woman her head would be shaved and she would be taken from behind so as she looked like a boy. I know, I know...
    Personally I don't think genes play a part. I think people are being a bit aggressive on this issue. NOW, saying that someone chooses to be gay is rediculous. You don't choose who you are born to, whats put on tv, where you go to school, you don't choose anything at all really when it comes to your upbringing. Also some people here seem to think that an upbringing that would incline you toward gayness would require bed time stories about Bobo the big gay clown. Not so much. The mind is a subtle thing. Thats all I'll say on that...

Fat people are by and large (forgive the pun) not because they want to be fat persay, but they're just too lazy not to be. Poor diet, over eating, lack of exersice and what have you. Someone earlier in this thread said why should you care about other peoples weight or something like that. I'd like to answer that by saying I care about the state of the world we live in and obesity is a pandemic and a morbidly damning indication of current reality and where we are heading as a race. 'I think it's time to trim the herd' as Billy Connolly once said of people who required tags on hairdryers sayng 'do not use in shower'.

Ger_Hankey wrote:
    From the 1st post in this thread.. off topic???

darkman2 seems to have a history of 1)making unfounded claims and accusations 2)getting in a tizzy when it goes "off topic" (its boards! nature of the beast is that it goes OT :) ) 3) pigheadedly sticking by his random outbursts...which lead to bans.

• Advertisement

ellenmelon wrote:
    darkman2 seems to have a history of 1)making unfounded claims and accusations 2)getting in a tizzy when it goes "off topic" (its boards! nature of the beast is that it goes OT :) ) 3) pigheadedly sticking by his random outbursts...which lead to bans.

Dont you politically correct lemmings have other threads you can spam? This is not a thread about gay people.......its very simple. Read the title. Thank you to those who are actually trying to discuss the topic about over weight people against this muppetry going on in the background. Again why dont you all start a thread about gay people or any other minority im deemed to have offended:rolleyes: such fickle people.

Advertisement