Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pleasantly plump people - genetic or laziness?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Offensive:confused: If something actually was offensive how would you react then!:eek:

J.S. Pill wrote:

lol! I suppose they are coming over to sort me out:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

darkman2 wrote:
    You misunderstand me. The only comparison I made, and it is a reasonable one, is that we are also being told that gay people are naturally gay (i.e nothing can be done - more then likely they will be gay) - same with obease people (i.e genetic defect or whatever so they have little or now choice at birth in other words) - same principle - a complete cop out of reality.

No, I don't misunderstand you. Not in the slightest. In fact, I know exactly what you're saying. I know exactly what you're saying and I believe you're fundamentally wrong. I've never been told that gay people are naturally gay, I was able to come to that conclusion myself, through the use of logic. Do you think that homosexuality is refutable, but heterosexuality isn't?

It's nothing at all like obesity (which I'm pretty sure you'll find doesn't contain an "a"). Obese people for the most part are aware of their own situations and choose to do nothing about it (for a large variety of reasons, be it fear of failure, fear of intimacy, downright laziness etc.) and a very small minority are overweight for medical reasons. This doesn't mean that a certain quantity of the population outside of those suffering from medical conditions aren't genetically prone to being overweight, as has already been stated, but being prone to something and actually being it are two different things. Being prone to putting on weight means that you're more likely, genetically, to conserve what you eat as fat. So you should modify your habits accordingly. It doesn't mean that regardless of what you do you're going to put on weight. However, if you're gay there's no diet you can go on to make you straight that I know of. There's no magic pill that will change your sexual orientation.

You may not care what other people might tell you. I guess you should be given some credit for having the courage of your convictions. But please don't talk to me as though I'm stupid or don't grasp the out-dated concept you're peddling simply because I'm not buying what you're selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

darkman2 wrote:
    Offensive:confused: If something actually was offensive how would you react then!:eek:
    I think you'll find the gay community, as well as many others, would find it very offensive.

Blush_01 wrote:
    Do you think that homosexuality is refutable, but heterosexuality isn't?

God give me strength. Rite. Last thing im going to say on this. In a word 'yes' - to an extent. I think it has far far more to do with the persons upbringing. That is my opinion. You have a different opinion. Fine, ive no problem with your differing opinion. Now back to topic?

As for obese;) people - I was not comparing them with Gay people - how the hell can you do that!?:rolleyes: I was comparing a principle which applies to several groups of people which has grown over recent years where genetics is brought in to it. It is done to make sure that being obese is seen as normal. It is not normal. It is, in its most extreme, completely grotesque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Grotesque in your eyes.
    Some people are chubby chasers.

darkman2 wrote:
    I think it has far far more to do with the persons upbringing.
    God give strength...

Why dont you start a different thread on it? It appears to interest you. Just a suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

The existence of fat, gay people is slim, straight people's punishment for their sins in a previous life. The fat gays aren't being punished for anything; they have no previous lives. Because they have no souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

The existence of fat, gay people is slim, straight people's punishment for their sins in a previous life. The fat gays aren't being punished for anything; they have no previous lives. Because they have no souls.

tommy please pm the number of your dealer!!!:rolleyes:

Darkman2 your days are so numbered:mad:

• Advertisement

Laziness IMO
    You can always alter your body(how little the difference with effort put in) and eating habits also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

In all fairness, there is no concrete evidence for homosexuality being genetic and darkman2 has the right to his opinion.

The way I see it is that it doesn't matter whether it is genetic or a result of upbringing. The fact is many people turn out gay, it does no damage to anyone and there's no reason to refute the right to be gay.

In any case, obesity is another matter entirely, as being obese is a health risk.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    there is no concrete evidence for homosexuality being genetic and darkman2 has the right to his opinion.
    What about the possibility that gay people just are gay. Just like heterosexual people just are heterosexual.

everthing we are is a genetic predisposition

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Laziness:

Try point out a fat person in a concentration camp.

Oh yeah cos people in concentration camps are surrounded by temptation and nobody's preventing them from eating :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Laziness IMO
    You can always alter your body(how little the difference with effort put in) and eating habits also

everthing we are is a genetic predisposition

Is that not a contradiction????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Dudess wrote:
    What about the possibility that gay people just are gay. Just like heterosexual people just are heterosexual.
    As opposed to?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I'm a fitness freak, work out daily, watch my diet, and all that. That's something important to me. But I don't pick on people who are different, because of their weight or eating habits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

IMO, obesity and laziness aren't necessarily genetic, but a persons natural build sure is. Someone who might be stocky in stature has most likely inherited that, but if they are fat, it can be easily prevented or changed.

Imagine a hypothetical situation where an obese couple who never take exercise and have bad eating habits have a child (ignore horrible mental images); Child will most likely become fat. But if the child is, say, adopted by a couple with good eating habits and a generally healthy lifestyle, the child will most likely be slim and healthy. Haven't done any experiments on this lately ofc :P

About that homosexual/obesity comparison - I honestly have no idea where you were going with that. But adding to the off-topicness; darkman2, my understanding of homosexuality is ones sexual preference. Therefore, if someone prefers the same sex, then they will generally choose to act it out as opposed to choosing to bottle up their emotions and instincts and staying with the opposite sex. If that is what you mean by 'choice', then you really should have clarified this long ago. But judging by your posts in this thread, I really doubt that you understand what homosexuality is, and I get the impression that you are using Mr/Mrs. Garrison as a sole example of what a homosexual person is like, which is pretty retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

There is no genetic disposition nor biological reason for the body to be able to store fat out of no where.

To create fat you need to be eating a level of macronutrients that your body just does not need....mainly carbs and unhealthy fats.

The average person has only a minor understanding of diet, and even less understanding of healthy diet. This is a simple fact, as if you look around you even the "thin" folk propably live incredibly unhealthy lives.

With regard to "natural" reasons for holding excess wait, then you looking at the endocrine system which is obviously complicated....but even something like an ****ed up thyroid will only cause you to hold a small percentage of excess wait.

At the end of the day, if you can't see you toes then you need to stop eating. If you are unhappy and want to change you need to change up your diet and excercise. If you are happy then it's all good in the hood, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Mear wrote:
    Laziness:

Try point out a fat person in a concentration camp.

so in order to not be fat, large people should not allowed themselves to eat more than a handful of food a day, and be starving all their lives?

Some large people have bad diets and bad lifestyles, no doubt, but some do not eat a great deal, no more than you or I, metabolism, it exists, I'm on the other end of the scale, I eat a lot, I don't exercise much, I am a skinny.

Is that not a contradiction????
    I meant by means of our sexuality

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

darkman2 wrote:
    Why would you want to do that?;)

To mimic you, I guess. Is there anyone you don't like and haven't posted a thread about?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

so in order to not be fat, large people should not allowed themselves to eat more than a handful of food a day, and be starving all their lives?
    Surely there is a difference between feeling hungry (which is caused by a lack of nutrients or something aint it*? which may be why u feel hungry 30mins after a mcdonalds) and starving.

This is a guess on my part but i'm sure initially you would feel hungry after cutting down on your food intake but in time your body would adjust and you would no longer feel hungry all the time (As long as you get your important food groups into you).

*Well i guess there a few other factors as well, psycological, if stomach full etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Bottom line is these porkers have problems with their jeans not genes.
    Solution is: eat less and/or exercise more equals decreased fat.
    It's not rocket science.

I concurr - I typically p1ss and moan about wanting to loose 2 stone, how crap I feel and look.

But in fairness I've not done much to rectify the problem - I don't exercise or eat right. That's no ones fault but my own, I'm just too bloody lazy basically!

Fat people have a choice and as far as I am concerned they choose to get fatter

Although I do agree with the "christmas turkey" babies - With massive parents and rediculous "normal" overeating habits they don't seem to stand a chance to learn the right way to look after thier body and health

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Surely there is a difference between feeling hungry (which is caused by a lack of nutrients or something aint it*? which may be why u feel hungry 30mins after a mcdonalds) and starving.

This is a guess on my part but i'm sure initially you would feel hungry after cutting down on your food intake but in time your body would adjust and you would no longer feel hungry all the time (As long as you get your important food groups into you).

*Well i guess there a few other factors as well, psycological, if stomach full etc etc.

Crucial to this is the speed that you eat. If you take a good 30 mins eating your lunch you won't feel bloated, and you will digest your food properly. The brain will be able register that you are full much sooner than if you were scoffing it down, thereby cutting your intake of food. If you look around you there are loads of people who act like they never had anything to eat in their life. Be it at lunch or restaurant they are shoveling the food into them which can't be healthy.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    As opposed to?
    As opposed to homosexuality being a choice.
    Mear wrote:
    What?
    People in concentration camps are denied food and what they do get is very meagre. You can't compare them to people in normal situations who are surrounded by massive choices of food of which they can avail whenever they want, and generally don't have anyone preventing them from eating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

darkman2 wrote:
    1. because it is not outrageous as I can assure you the vast majority of the population feel the same

you must've pulled this info out of your ar$e or something, cause thats one broad generalisation. if you're going to say bull crap like that, at least attempt to back it up with some kind of statistics or something..not that you'd find many of any actual credibility.

Advertisement