Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Service Checkouts.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Tesco is so cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Happened to me yesterday, and had to wait 5 minutes for "approvel" that i could buy 6 cans of Heikengen.

Yeah but you can still carry on scanning items when it says 'approval needed'.Well in the tesco near me anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

There also seems to be no way of buying a plastic bag from them or have i just missed it?

(disclaimer: quite drunk the last time I used one)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

stovelid wrote:
    There also seems to be no way of buying a plastic bag from them or have i just missed it?

(disclaimer: quite drunk the last time I used one)

just scan the barcode on the bag??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,954 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You have to ask one of the attendants standing around for a plastic bag.

I usually just take one myself from under the counter near the tills when that person's gone awol :)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Happened to me yesterday, and had to wait 5 minutes for "approvel" that i could buy 6 cans of Heikengen.

am i nuts or are all you guys scanning the individual cans rather than the barcode on the bottom of the pack?
    i mostly buy 24 packs but am pretty sure i bought a 6 pack once with no issues? now i am worried i may have accidently stole it!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

Absolute Nightmare! Last time I was in Tesco decided to use one of these. Big Mistake. Guy in front of me just had to pay. Cushty I thought. I'll be outta here in no time. Anyway he proceded to reach into his rucksack and pull out a big glass jar. Paid his 20 odd quid in 10 cent coins! :eek:
    Was there for feckin ages! Bloody Foreigners...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,954 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I sometimes feel tempted to get rid of all my coppers as they're the few machines around that'll accept 1s and 2s. Unfortunately you get that "Please insert blah blah blah" automated voice after every one!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

The people that start scanning their items as I'm still taking mine really need to fúck off though.

Had this issue on the self service for full trollies in Tesco's What I used to do was pack my bags before paying, thus making the scanger behind me wait.

Then they fitted these black barrier things which are great you can push all your stuff to the end and put the black barrier across the till, thus stopping the scanger's stuff getting mixed up with yours.

The scan one at a time is a pain, you should be able to scan an item and put in the qty you have in your trolley, I suppose you could abuse the system then.

Snake ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

seansouth wrote:
    My jaysis.

How can people not know how to use these wonderful inventions. Gah. You've been watching the cashiers working these machines for years. It's not some magical machine that has suddenly landed.

But, sure, if you don't know how to use it, then don't pick the busiest fúcking evening in the damn shop to try to figure it out.

Also, people who stare in wonderment as the machine beeps, as the list of their shopping appears on the screen.

Scan item
    *beep*
    The mouthbreather then looks and points at the screen 'Wow, that's the thing I just scanned'
    Scan next item
    *beep*
    The mouthbreather then looks and points at the screen 'Wow, that's the thing I just scanned'.

FFS get on with it.

And why the fúck do tesco make you scan each can of a six pack individually? It makes things slower, not faster. It's INconvenient.

And the idiots who come up to them with a full trolly of stuff?

Get to a fúcking normal queue, these are for small amount of items.

For a second there while reading your post I thought I was watching an episode of strutter!

Anyway, some people look at the screen to check the price of everything as the prices can sometimes be wrong.

Was in Tescos two weeks ago to get about three items, used one of these and the thing just refused to work properly, had to get one of the cashiers, who then spent ten minutes looking for her supervisor because she didn't know what to do, then spent five minutes talking to the supervisor, came back, another five minutes fluting around with the machine and still couldn't work it, off again to get the supervisor to come back and sort the damn thing out ! Self service my ar$e it was like a bad dream that I couldn't wake myself up from ! :mad:

Please don't make such stupid statements. Do you really expect the tesco staff to be IT engineers??? All technology goes up and down. Why didn't you just go to a cashier instead of hanging around like a *****ing eejit waiting for tesco staff to get their IT degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

hilarious thread. Pople get SO wound up by this sort of thing. Its great to watch....NOT great to experience. Anytime I have EVER used the self-service, there is a problem......"Unexpected Item on the Belt...." What do you mean "unexpected"??? I'm paying for my shopping, does it come as a surprise that I might put items on the bloody belt?! I just want to scream at the thing SHUT THE F**K UP AND JUST CONTINUE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

It's not just the self-service tills that are infuriating, I used to work in a (non Tesco) supermarket, and there were always scanning problems. Mostly which arose from the people supposed to be ensuring that every item is in the system and therefore scanning being hopelessly incompetent. It was always us poor checkout staff who got the blame when things wouldn't scan, of course. When something didn't scan, this is generally what happened: I'd call my supervisor, who would say she was too busy to help, so I'd get up and march into the office, which would be empty. I'd then have to frantically run around the shop floor looking for the appropriate person, who would grumble, and spend about 5 minutes entering the item into the system. Then I'd run back to my till, where the customer would have gone a deep shade of purple at this stage, finally I'd apologise and finish the transaction.

I'm so glad all that sh*t is behind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

copacetic wrote:
    just scan the barcode on the bag??

Meant getting one from the area around the self-service. Never see any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

in tesco in drumcondra yesterday at arounf 6. as you can amagine it was pretty full. I was walking in the door, i seen two old women with a nearly full trolly. For every item that was scanned, it was slowly picked out of the trolly, nearly 5 seconds of looking to find the bar code, eventualy it was scanned, then another 5 seconds wondering where to put it, as the bagging area was nearly full. They were scanning when i walked in, i got my items, qued, and payed for them. they were still scanning when i was leaving the shop!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Please don't make such stupid statements. Do you really expect the tesco staff to be IT engineers??? All technology goes up and down. Why didn't you just go to a cashier instead of hanging around like a *****ing eejit waiting for tesco staff to get their IT degrees.

Stupid statment ? I'm sorry I expected the staff to be able to do their job ! My mistake :rolleyes:

I have a background in IT and know it's vagaries quite well and if you are going to have staff using it they should have some basic training before they are allowed to use it ! I was the customer and I was kept waiting for an unacceptably long time and therefore I am completely within my rights not to be happy about it ! So get down off that high horse and stop with the personal attack I don't appreciate being called Stupid or a fcuking eejit :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They should have a dummy demonstration till at the back. If you take more than five seconds to scan an ordinary, working item and put it on the shelf, then you should be removed, and forced to queue with all the other idiots and be shown how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

mcauley wrote:
    hilarious thread. Pople get SO wound up by this sort of thing. Its great to watch....NOT great to experience. Anytime I have EVER used the self-service, there is a problem......"Unexpected Item on the Belt...." What do you mean "unexpected"??? I'm paying for my shopping, does it come as a surprise that I might put items on the bloody belt?! I just want to scream at the thing SHUT THE F**K UP AND JUST CONTINUE!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

I'm always getting nervous if i see some EEs on the machines. more then one time they were challenged by the on-screen message "Please remove your items" after paying. They were helpless, clueless and were waiting for assistance... Or if it comes to buying loose products, they need to select the veg by name from the list...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭markpb

gurramok wrote:
    Its quicker doing it the old way and going to the human cashier, at least laser payments are easier that way.

Tesco in Artane have added chip and pin readers to their self service tills so paying by card is much handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

seamus wrote:
    The people who use them in Tesco seem to be infinitely more inept than those who use them in Superquinn.

"Superquinn....Where smart people shop! " - I can see the ad campaign now! Customers wearing name badges - "Tom - Neurosurgeon/Rubiks Cube Champion 1980-1982" - (checking out at self service tills with smug knowing smirk on face)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I always bring a sportsbag if I'm shopping.
    Obviously, I want to put the sportsbag on the scales and pack stuff straight into it as otherwise I be wasting time transferring items afterwards.

When you do this an option called "Own Bag" comes up but Tesco Drumcondra must have disabled it as it never works and you still need staff to clear the error and more often than not, staff have gone walkabout and there is nonone to clear the error.

I wish they'd sort this

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I hate those things!

in Tesco, it always says "place item on counter" when you've scanned it and sometime it doesn't feel it so I spend about 10 minutes trying to make it work again!

so I'll stick to regular checkouts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Ya gotta pick and choose which tills to use when. For some reason I find that the scanner is faster on the 'small' self-scanners than the one with the belt, for trollies. don't ask why, should be exactly the same, but for some reason it consistently seems to be better on the basket one. and less 'unexpected items' too.
    Tesco insist on signing any laser transactions over E20, so if you're hitting that, skip the self-service - although that may be gone now with the chip and pin, unless, like me, your laser card is not yet C&Pd.
    Of course if you have alcohol you are better going to the real people.
    And as already pointed out, there's usually some real people sitting idle while there's a queue of ppl standing behind a mouthbreather watching 'TV', especially outside peak hours.
    I've scanned some stuff through a few times, waiting for authorization, gave up, picked up the few bits and pieces, gone to a real person and paid and left while the self-scanner was still waiting for the 'assistant' to fix it.
    I wish you were allowed to give out 'go to the back of the queue' cards though for the real muppets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

seamus wrote:
    They should have a dummy demonstration till at the back. If you take more than five seconds to scan an ordinary, working item and put it on the shelf, then you should be removed, and forced to queue with all the other idiots and be shown how to do it.
    lol^^

Stupid statment ? I'm sorry I expected the staff to be able to do their job ! My mistake :rolleyes:

I have a background in IT and know it's vagaries quite well and if you are going to have staff using it they should have some basic training before they are allowed to use it ! I was the customer and I was kept waiting for an unacceptably long time and therefore I am completely within my rights not to be happy about it ! So get down off that high horse and stop with the personal attack I don't appreciate being called Stupid or a fcuking eejit :mad:

I had a few drinks last night so I think my mood came out through boards this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I've stopped shopping at tesco because of theese machines and the security tags put on some items which need to be publicly removed by staff.
    Once I was highly embarresed when a staff member reached into my shopping and pulled out a durex product, but not as embarresed as she was. I made a complaint to the manager and accepted his point that theese items would just walk out of the store if it wasn't for the security tags. Next week I had a problem with a security tag on a bag of potatoes. Now I can't realy see a skanger running out with a bag of potatoes in his pocket.
    I haven't been back since. I prefer not to shop where the average shopper is treated as a potential shoplifter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

I had a few drinks last night so I think my mood came out through boards this morning.

Fair 'nuff

• Advertisement

Fair 'nuff

Sorry by the way. :) and it was not personal. It's obvious I work in IT isn't it. I've never come across you before and it was more expressing my anger from the job. (not that I hate my job it's just annoying sometimes that's all!!)

Some people just demand things that are not possible.

Advertisement