Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Service Checkouts.

Options
  • 10-07-2007 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

My jaysis.

How can people not know how to use these wonderful inventions. Gah. You've been watching the cashiers working these machines for years. It's not some magical machine that has suddenly landed.

But, sure, if you don't know how to use it, then don't pick the busiest fúcking evening in the damn shop to try to figure it out.

Also, people who stare in wonderment as the machine beeps, as the list of their shopping appears on the screen.

Scan item
    *beep*
    The mouthbreather then looks and points at the screen 'Wow, that's the thing I just scanned'
    Scan next item
    *beep*
    The mouthbreather then looks and points at the screen 'Wow, that's the thing I just scanned'.

FFS get on with it.

And why the fúck do tesco make you scan each can of a six pack individually? It makes things slower, not faster. It's INconvenient.

And the idiots who come up to them with a full trolly of stuff?

Get to a fúcking normal queue, these are for small amount of items.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Not everyone had a Barcode Battler when younger you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Yeah don't get that with the six pack thing, they should get it sorted.
    seansouth wrote:

They're not just for a small amount of items all the time, at least in my local tesco anyway. There are two designed for small amount and two for trollies.

The people that start scanning their items as I'm still taking mine really need to fúck off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I share your pain, brother! Every single day when I pop into Tesco after work it's always the fúckin' grannies or middle-aged women who have no idea how to operate something as technically advanced as a self-service counter.

That being said, though, those tills are shítty. Example:

*beep*
    "Please place item on the belt"
    Puts item on belt
    "Unknown item, ple................."
    Till recongises product and you continue on
    *beep*
    "Please wait for assistance"
    You take out your gun and shoot the screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

seansouth wrote:
    My jaysis.

How can people not know how to use these wonderful inventions. Gah. You've been watching the cashiers working these machines for years. It's not some magical machine that has suddenly landed.

But, sure, if you don't know how to use it, then don't pick the busiest fúcking evening in the damn shop to try to figure it out.

Also, people who stare in wonderment as the machine beeps, as the list of their shopping appears on the screen.

Scan item
    *beep*
    The mouthbreather then looks and points at the screen 'Wow, that's the thing I just scanned'
    Scan next item
    *beep*
    The mouthbreather then looks and points at the screen 'Wow, that's the thing I just scanned'.

FFS get on with it.

And why the fúck do tesco make you scan each can of a six pack individually? It makes things slower, not faster. It's INconvenient.

Was in Tescos two weeks ago to get about three items, used one of these and the thing just refused to work properly, had to get one of the cashiers, who then spent ten minutes looking for her supervisor because she didn't know what to do, then spent five minutes talking to the supervisor, came back, another five minutes fluting around with the machine and still couldn't work it, off again to get the supervisor to come back and sort the damn thing out ! Self service my ar$e it was like a bad dream that I couldn't wake myself up from ! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I live near a 24 hour Tesco, so I always do my shopping late at night before bed. Wouldn't be caught in there otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Don't know about Tesco but they are for 20 items or less in most of the shops I go into in the US but you still see people with trolly fulls of stuff going up to them. There would be about 6 self service checkouts and one person over them all checking if there were any problems (more often than not there would be).
    When I was leaving Ireland in 05, they had 2 self checkouts in the Navan Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

What is with the back up times for them as well ?

I mean really it's a 24 tesco fair enough but you will always get people nipping out to get a few things arroung 11:30 and hoping to be back home before midnight and that is when they back up the self service tils and have sod all staff on, tis worse at the weekends when you get people rushing in to get drink before the time is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

seansouth wrote:
    My jaysis.

Scan item
    *beep*
    Scan next item
    *beep*

FFS get on with it.

Shouldnt you be thinking about tactics? Its a match day afterall. Oh and get you avatar back off slow motion, I dont realise it's you posting till I double check. It's like your a noob.:)

As to the topic in hand , women and ATM's come to mind. I was behind a woman in a spar in cabra today(you know who you are) who took about 10 mins to get money out, then proceeded to arrange the contents of her bag so it was to her satisfaction, while still standing at the machine.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The people who use them in Tesco seem to be infinitely more inept than those who use them in Superquinn. The line seems to move a fraction of the speed in Tesco, whereas in Superquinn it moves along at a decent pace. This is true all over the city.

Though that may be because the guy monitoring the tills in Superquinn is actually looking at the screen and clearing the errors, whereas the guy in Tesco is halfway down the checkouts chatting up one of the girls and picking his arse at the same time.

The technical reasoning behind the sixpack is sound, but it's logistically incovenient. As most people have copped, the baggage area measures the weight of each item as you put it through. This is to stop people from pretending to scan stuff, or scanning a cheaper barcode (say scanning the barcode from a 500ml coke when buying a 2l bottle). You're not allowed to scan another item until you place the last scanned item down - so it can count all of the weight. So to scan a sixpack of cans, you need to take each can individually out of the rings, and scan it. Ugh. I don't know why there's not a "scan multiple" button. Perhaps its to avoid idiots pressing it by accident.
    The system knows how much one can of beer weighs. So if I press a button that says "How many do you want to scan?" and I press "6", then it would also know to expect the weight times 6.

This functionality exists in the software on the tills, but its locked out by default. I still have no idea why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The people that start scanning their items as I'm still taking mine really need to fúck off though.

Seriously.

Anyone noticed the phenomenon, when it's quiet, where there'll be a queue for the self service and a few cashiers doing f*ck all? Very handy...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

self service is a license to steal, scan every second item

MooseJam wrote:
    self service is a license to steal, scan every second item
    As I pointed out, you can't really. Unless you want to put half of your stuff on the floor, in which case you may as well tattoo "Shoplifter" across your forehead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

It's been a while since I was in Tesco's. I can't ever remember seeing the self service checkouts. Is this a Tesco's only thing or do they have them in Dunnes too?

I have been asked to move this thread but I won't. It's just a rant about how idiotic self service checkouts are, and I like rants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

It's pretty low imo, the whole self service idea, next thing you know we will have to restock the shelves of any items we take, maybe give the floor a bit of a sweep on the way out too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

I hate them. Good idea, but don't work in reality. Some items just won't scan! Drives me mad. Oh, and guaranteed, when you're buying something you don't want people to draw attention to, things are bound to go wrong. I was buying a pregnancy test a few months ago. There were people I knew in the shop so decided to go to the self service thing so I could get out asap. Of course, the bloody thing wouldn't scan and someone came up to help me, then started waving the test around asking 'does anyone know the code for this pregnancy test'. Mortifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I was buying a pregnancy test a few months ago. There were people I knew in the shop so decided to go to the self service thing so I could get out asap. Of course, the bloody thing wouldn't scan and someone came up to help me, then started waving the test around asking 'does anyone know the code for this pregnancy test'. Mortifying.

LOL, hate that. :D

"Price check for Vagiclean please!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Collie D wrote:
    LOL, hate that. :D

"Price check for Vagiclean please!"

Do you buy that often Collie D? Hehe. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

scojones wrote:
    Do you buy that often Collie D? Hehe. :eek:

Eh, quickly back on topic.... :o

Gotta love the self-service thingies although you definitely have to choose your lane wisley. Old people or women over thirty can't sem to fathom them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

And you need someone to authorize you when you buy alcohol.(tesco)

You could end up standing there ages for a cashier to come, frustrating...hence i always use a human instead of machine to buy alcohol

Self service is not the future of it, it always goes bloody wrong nearly everytime i'm in the queue.

Its quicker doing it the old way and going to the human cashier, at least laser payments are easier that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I love them. Some day I'm going to figure out how to mate self-service checkouts and Grey's Anatomy and marry the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

for the love of GOD why doesnt everyone use Superscan?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Exactly - it's even faster on 1-2 items.

Compare the two - the self service checkout (Fastlane in Superquinn lingo) benefits the store really, the other benefits both the store and you.

Is the six pack barcode not a different 'item' anyway to the six cans' individual barcode?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The system definitely works a whole lot better in Superquinn. They're always a pleasure to use there. I don't bother with them anymore in Tesco. If they're not out of service, there'll be a queue of muppets at them. Also if you want to pay by laser/credit card, then it's lucky draw as to whether you have to wait for someone to come over and get you to sign a receipt or not.

Red Alert wrote:
    Is the six pack barcode not a different 'item' anyway to the six cans' individual barcode?
    Generally not. It's priced as six individual items. When you buy it in a box, the box has a barcode and you can just scan that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

seamus wrote:
    Generally not. It's priced as six individual items. When you buy it in a box, the box has a barcode and you can just scan that.

They work by weight people.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

I was in Tesco in Nutgrove the other day and it was like queueing in the 7th circle of hell.
    Having negotiated my way through the knickers, videos and massacred yoghurt aisle to pay for my purchases, I discover that not only does everyone decide to block the aisle while we wait for the self service, but the machines appear to be going a bit haywire, proclaiming that there is an unidentified item on the belt every 2 seconds.
    Now this was bad enough...but imagine having to work next to that:eek: .

Makes me wonder what their breakdown assistance with their car insurance is like...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They work by weight people.....

Couldn't you buy one cheap can of beer and scan it ten times while you place your expensive bourgeois lager on the scales?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

seansouth wrote:
    My jaysis.

FFS get on with it.

Happened to me yesterday, and had to wait 5 minutes for "approvel" that i could buy 6 cans of Heikengen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Long time lurker etc.. Felt compelled to post after spending 5 minutes today watching a woman "scanning" a tomato and refusing to admit defeat until it was taken from her by force by the man waiting behind her, who no doubt pointed out the absence of barcode on said fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Peared wrote:
    Long time lurker etc.. Felt compelled to post after spending 5 minutes today watching a woman "scanning" a tomato and refusing to admit defeat until it was taken from her by force by the man waiting behind her, who no doubt pointed out the absence of barcode on said fruit.
    :D:D

Great first post.

Advertisement