Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment (Archived)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭justaquestion

Ethan321 wrote: »
    As for the medical, yes they get you to touch your toes, i spent 3 weeks on the run up to it doin yoga stretches to gain extra flexibility in the lower back.
    Like you martin i have had lower back problems in the past, it has only meant one year off work in 9 years, considering i do a physical job i thought that wasnt bad, but what the doctor pus forward can have a say in what decision they make.

If this is your second time doin this Alan then i think you could have a good chance, most peoples marks go up a bit second time doin assessment centre so you may end up higher up the list mate.

:)

PSNI....if i cant touch my toes does that mean i will fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭justaquestion

also what bmi is the maximum. im five 8 14stone. it aint fat but apparently they need us to fall within a certain range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭alanbelfast

I hope so Ethan.
    Is this your 1st time? When have u passed ist and when did you send off vet forms or do medical.....I am really hating this 'Limbo' land stuff. Here i was just back from holidays and forgot about everything and getting on with my business then to go threw all this again. I want it so so so much its unbeliveable. I am actually running my own busines s at present and am fully giving it up to go threw with the psni career. Just want the word YES YES YES Alan we want you in feb intake. I can tell you this i will be popping the champagne for sure. I have done the tests that many times i think they all know my shoe size lol

Justaquestion

I am 5ft 8.5 and almost 14 stone. So I am not sure what bmi. I no to be clinicallt obese it doesnt take much. I think over bmi 31 or 32 they class as obese. God i hope not im fit and only 32 waist but who knows what way they work these things out. Well i have seen a lot of women get in that were what i would call bigger boned people so I just hope we are within the req std

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭mickey2186

I'm still waiting for a medical date..got the vetting forms two weeks ago today!

I recall that in previous campaigns if you passed the medical but did not get offered a place the medical pass carried over to the next campaign.

I am wondering if this is still the case, as I passed the campaign 12 medical approx 9/10 months ago. Anyone know??

Only difference between then and now is that I am another 1.5 stone lighter!

I believe the BMI needs to be below 30. Its easy to go online to a BMI calculator to find out how much you need to lose before the medical!

I had to lose weight before mine last time...even if I don't get a place it has proved to be a good incentive to get fit!!!

Mickey2186.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Ethan321

Yeah this is my first time tryin, and like you the waiting driving me nuts lol. Just keep the chin up Alan, and try to rem that it could be any time next year that you could get the call for the intake, i know someone who was called in my time to start in october last year.

Mckey im not sure if the medical will simply carry over til the following year, might be a case that they require confirmation from your doctor that your status hasnt changed and they may still call you in to seapark for a quick check over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,748 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

They don't fail you if you can't touch your toes. They're just seeing how flexible you are, and how freely you can bend over and back up again without any winces of pain, groans or sharp intakes of breath.

The BMI thing is a bit of a misnomer. There was a guy who had a BMI of over 35 but he was as all muscle. The doctor will decide on the day by looking at you, and if you appear to be obese AND have a BMI of over 30, the chances are they will reject you.
    also what bmi is the maximum. im five 8 14stone. it aint fat but apparently they need us to fall within a certain range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Fiacmar

smudge0580 wrote: »
    hi FIACMAR

thanks for the update, only took my assessment day 2 weeks ago and already anxious to get my results. the biscuit thing sounds like entrapment, no one can resist a good quality bicky. surely the Consensia people know this?? ;)

best of luck mate

Yup, I reckon the bikkie was a plant! No doubt about it :p Good luck to you too.

Quick question for PSNI or other serving officers, I have a tattoo on my upper arm, its a unit flash from my time in the Irish army years ago. I was young... Anyway, it has some Gaelic on it, its not sectarian or anything and wouldn't be seen in shirtsleeves. But it does identify me with the South kinda thing... Would this be a problem?

Also, I presume penalty points and/or driving tickets would not be a problem?

Assessment centre seven weeks ago, still no medical date or background forms... Going nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭MartinC2006

Ethan321 wrote: »
    As for the medical, yes they get you to touch your toes, i spent 3 weeks on the run up to it doin yoga stretches to gain extra flexibility in the lower back.
    Like you martin i have had lower back problems in the past, it has only meant one year off work in 9 years, considering i do a physical job i thought that wasnt bad, but what the doctor pus forward can have a say in what decision they make.

If this is your second time doin this Alan then i think you could have a good chance, most peoples marks go up a bit second time doin assessment centre so you may end up higher up the list mate.

Well I've never been off work, it's never sore and doesn't affect me in anyway. They might just look at me a bit funny as I can't even reach my ankles :( I hope He/She doesn't make an issue about it, if all else fails I can use my martial arts skills to impress them with the splits :D

From what I've gathered they are looking for a BMI of 18-30 which takes in the normal and overweight ranges. 30+ is Obese but as psni highlighted this alone is not enough to fail you. They'll take into account muscle mass etc, everyone knows the BMI only works for old people!

justaquestion your BMI is 31
    alanbelfast your BMI is 30.6

Martin.

On another point how did you get that moaning head chef sorted out!
    I found the rest easy but he was just being an arse.

I did the whole team building, new ideas, personal responsbility lark but the role player just didn't seem to play along :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,748 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi Fiacmar.

The tattoo shouldn't be a problem since it's not likely to cause grave or widespread offence. Once you tell them about it on the sheet you would have filled in by now, it really won't be an issue.

Penalty points aren't really a problem, but the driving offences may be, depending on severity and frequency. Speeding is common, but driving over the legal limit might get you blackballed.

If your assessment centre was 7 weeks ago you should give them a call. They say a maximum of 6 weeks is all you should be waiting so I'd be on the phone to them today chasing up the results.
    Fiacmar wrote: »
    Yup, I reckon the bikkie was a plant! No doubt about it :p Good luck to you too.

Quick question for PSNI or other serving officers, I have a tattoo on my upper arm, its a unit flash from my time in the Irish army years ago. I was young... Anyway, it has some Gaelic on it, its not sectarian or anything and wouldn't be seen in shirtsleeves. But it does identify me with the South kinda thing... Would this be a problem?

Also, I presume penalty points and/or driving tickets would not be a problem?

Assessment centre seven weeks ago, still no medical date or background forms... Going nuts!

well just posted my complete vetting forms this morning gauranteed signed for delivery. Dont wanna take any chances in it going missing!
    Hope i could remember all my speed tickets etc. Last time i was vetted i missed out on something and they rejected me for it. I asked for a review and got accepted for the vetting.
    On my vet forms this time i wrote everything i could remember and also made a wee note4 saying...to the best of my kknowledge this is all i can recollect and any ommisions is a complete oversight and not a move to mislead or hide material fact. Do you think that should cover it PSNI?

Yeah I'd say so. Once they see you've made an effort you should be fine unless you did something serious that you all-of-a-sudden "can't remember". If they uncovered something like that, then you'd be out of the Campaign. You are aware that it takes a few months for it to go through so you'll just have to sit back and wait for the results.

Finger crossed you get good news in the new year.
    well just posted my complete vetting forms this morning gauranteed signed for delivery. Dont wanna take any chances in it going missing!
    Hope i could remember all my speed tickets etc. Last time i was vetted i missed out on something and they rejected me for it. I asked for a review and got accepted for the vetting.
    On my vet forms this time i wrote everything i could remember and also made a wee note4 saying...to the best of my kknowledge this is all i can recollect and any ommisions is a complete oversight and not a move to mislead or hide material fact. Do you think that should cover it PSNI?

thanks for promt reply.....Yes i think the vetting took 3 mths approx last time. Then i got this letter saying on november 3rd 1995 u were driving a vehicle with no m.o.t and u failed to disclose this........ we r rejecting bye bye.......i asked for a review and sent a letter saying sorry complete oversight on somthing that happened long time ago.......they accepted my review and said i now in the poll.then got a leeter saying cant offer u at this time we will be in contact soon..........then soon came and i got a dear jon bye bye try again.
    my heart was ripped out.

that link didnt work psni. said must be mistake or somthing. resend it mate and il go on there

Just a bit of advice on the ist.... Get a tutor for few weeks before hand. Im not very academic at all and went to this tutor based in hollywood N.I and after few weeks i was ace. The true false cant tell he started first time gave me 50 of them. I got like 14 correct. He showed me how and did a differnt 50 and i got 49 correct. The maths type of stuff like the cocahes are rented out on certain dates and they hold blah blah amount of people but this and that are in for servicing......well i went for a lesson immed before the test and i finished the complete test with a few mins to spare. I could honestly say i prob got one of the highest in it. I felt so comfident and felt everything was easy after a good lesson immed before hand. If you go in fresh after doing a practise test or 3 it sooooooooo makes a world of difference

The link is now in my sig.

Thanks!
    that link didnt work psni. said must be mistake or somthing. resend it mate and il go on there

Well just got the medical forms, what a nightmare.

Is it absolutely necessary to provide additional information like medical notes for anything which required care? For example will I have to approach the R.V.H and try to find the consultant who diagnosed me with Asthma when I was nine or will a letter from my GP be suffice?
    Will I have to approach the Physio that looked at my shoulder or again will a letter from my GP be acceptible?
    I can’t see it being possible for me to get direct literature from all the practitioners before the time of my medical?

Advice welcome.

Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Ethan321

Martin, its better you take what you can with you on the day of the medical, i only took some of the stuff and ended up having to hassle the doctor again and take another full week to get the info posted to them.
    Anything you have attended hospital or pyhsio should be copied or recoreded to your file that is kept with you GP/health centre, i managed to get all i needed from that, in saying that i havent had any word back yet as to how i done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ricz

Hi there

I just got my results for the assessment today and passed and was so glad as it took 5 weeks to get the results, did my assessment on the 26th oct. But now im a little worried after reading through the posts and that they do the merit pool and stuff on dec/jan.

In my letter i didnt even get any medical or vetting forms or any indication of it, it just said that they will contact me within the next 4 weeks...by then wouldnt i be too late? And did anyone get a similar letter to this? Maybe i scored too low in the tests? Need some help on this please.

• Advertisement

Also got that letter today, "pleased to advise you that you have passed the a/c, contact you in the next four weeks etc."

I reckon, and could be wrong, that because there is a larger pool than usual coming from this campaign, that Consensia are just delayed. We'll probably get the other stuff, as they say in the next four weeks. Also, chances are that with the changing political climate that there are probably a record number of applications this time around, so thats probably adding to the delay. Suits me, actually (although I was getting kinda nervous before I got this letter) as I'm nearly at my target weight and this gives me an extra bit of time to sort out my fitness.

Hi Martin.....Good man getting your med forms. Can you tell me how long it took for you to get them from you submitting your vet forms. I think it took like 3 mths last time i did it.

Cheers.....so bascically from you posted your vet forms how long was it before you got ur med forms.

Yeh im hoping for the same thing Fiacmar. Prefer a longer period to get fit and stuff. As long as as they dont send a letter saying "too late, see you next year" in the next 4 weeks im happy enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭mickey2186

I also got the 'passed the assessment...let you know what happes next' letter today. I received the vetting forms 2.5 weeks ago and got a letter from Consensia a day later saying that I had passed the AC and would shortly be hearing about the Medical.

Still had no word on the medical...It seems todays letter was almost a duplicate of the one I received a few weeks ago.

I wonder will they have the 'pool' sorted out by the end of December?? It seems they may be a little delayed!

A question about vetting forms, if you applied online didnt you already had to fill one out along with your application? Im pretty sure i filled in something similar, but maybe im wrong.

Also if you get a date for your medical, is it possible to delay and change the date?

Hi Martin.....Good man getting your med forms. Can you tell me how long it took for you to get them from you submitting your vet forms. I think it took like 3 mths last time i did it.

Cheers.....so bascically from you posted your vet forms how long was it before you got ur med forms.

2.5 weeks after receiving the Vetting forms to medical forms. I'm not sure theres any connection though.

I also got the "You have passed the AC stage letter today" so it must have went to everyone.

I also agree there will most likely be record applications now the Seinner's are giving the "Go ahead" to the Republican movement.

Good in general, bad for us lol.

Martin.

Just to clarify, (and probably being over concerned here), but those of ye that got the "passed the A/C, will let you know in the next four weeks" letter (from now to be known as the "four weeks letter":o), did ye already get medical forms, or clearance forms? I didn't. The "four weeks letter" has been my only communication from Consensia since the A/C.

Don't want to appear paranoid, but am starting to get a little worried about the usually super-efficient Consensia...:(

The "Republican movement"?

Also "bad for us"? Who is the "us" you are talking about in this context?
    2.5 weeks after receiving the Vetting forms to medical forms. I'm not sure theres any connection though.

I also got the "You have passed the AC stage letter today" so it must have went to everyone.

I also agree there will most likely be record applications now the Seinner's are giving the "Go ahead" to the Republican movement.

Good in general, bad for us lol.

Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jim2001

I think consensia are good, I had to move my assessment twice due to work comittments and they were more than happy to help and when I ring them they always help me. Completed my medical and passed it on 5th November. I think they are snowed under at the minute with AC results.

Does anyone know people that have failed because everyone I talk to has passed the AC??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

merry x mas every one. i just came across this page and it answered a lot of questions i had and i found out i not the only one out there, i did the role playing on the 8 of last month now just getting nervous waiting to hear back, was wondering now if i do pass it , think i did, will i be able to start in the new year, vetting taking so long and all,

great tread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement