Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment (Archived)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jim2001

As far as I know the intake in Jan is only to fill up the numbers from campaign 12, to be on that intake from campaign 13 you would need to be at the very top of the merit pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭mickey2186

Jim,

In a previous post you said you believed that 440 posts were available this time round.

Do you think the Jan intake (to top up campaign 12) will be candidates from this current campaign or will they take existing candidates from campaign 12?

If you are correct I wonder if they will still take 440, after deducting those being removed from the pool to top up 12??

As I discussed in a previous post I have still not had a definate answer with regards to campaign 12, however at this stage I have more or less written it off!

Just keep the fingers crossed this time!!

Regards.

Mickey2186

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭MartinC2006

psni wrote: »
    The "Republican movement"?

Also "bad for us"? Who is the "us" you are talking about in this context?

What I mean by that is even though I am a Nationalist I would never have considered joining the PSNI until Sein Fein (Who speak for the majority of Republicans) endorsed the police and promoted Nationalists and Republicans to join. It may be hard to relate to as people come from different areas but until this happened I didn’t think it would be in any way safe for me or my family.

"Us" as in everyone reading this thread. It’s obvious as others have suggested that there will be many like myself who now feel it is a good time to apply. That in turn means that it’ll be harder for “Us” or “Everyone” to be successful?

Martin.

NB I didn’t mean to cause any offense.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,748 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

No offence taken on my part. I just didn't understand your phrasing. It's good that you clarified it though, so thanks for that.

Regarding your medical forms. Yes, they are a nightmare! Your GP should be able to fill out the forms in full. If you were ever admitted to hospital, your GP gets a letter from the hospital informing him of the reason, treatment, meds, and so on. What they're basically after is your complete medical history with nothing left out. If your GP can't provide your complete medical history, then you will need to find the people who can fill in the gaps.

I hope you're friendly with your GP ;)
    What I mean by that is even though I am a Nationalist I would never have considered joining the PSNI until Sein Fein (Who speak for the majority of Republicans) endorsed the police and promoted Nationalists and Republicans to join. It may be hard to relate to as people come from different areas but until this happened I didn’t think it would be in any way safe for me or my family.

"Us" as in everyone reading this thread. It’s obvious as others have suggested that there will be many like myself who now feel it is a good time to apply. That in turn means that it’ll be harder for “Us” or “Everyone” to be successful?

Martin.

NB I didn’t mean to cause any offense.

According to recruitment they will take some people form merit 13 and place them in january with the others from 12, Im not too sure whether they will use the 440 people for this or add to this. A friend of mine who works in Garnerville told me it would be 440+ and also Hugh Orde stated at a Bangor DPP meeting it would be 440+ as well. So fingers crossed they keep to that.
    Are you in campaign 12 mickey?, did they tell you your number or if you will be on the intake yet?

• Advertisement

Jim,

I'm in 12 okay, passed vetting and medical..last info was in June stating that in my particular case they were not in a position to decide whether an offer could be made or not as the number of appointments that could be made from the qualifying pool was unknown at that time.

They did ask that I notify them of any change in my circumstances...failure to do so may affect the final outcome of my application.

Letter also said that hopefully they would be able to advise further by Feb 2008.

I did phone them a number of weeks ago to ask if 12 was all done and dusted, however they said it was still ongoing.

Just have to wait and see!!

Regards.

Mickey2186.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭alanbelfast

Hi martin thanx for your reply. That means they vetted u in 2 and a half weeks. they wudnt send ya out med forms unless u pass the vetting im assuming as thats the way it workd before. Is this still the case PSNI?
    Its unusually quick vetting if it is the case

back in 2004 when i completed the hole thing passing etc etc. I got exacrt same letter saying unable to offer u post at this time will let u no later in year. About 86 or 8 weeks after that i got a dear jon letter sorry we cant give u a place bye bye. I was gob smacked to say the least as i am from the roman catholic community and it really peeeeed me of and i didnt enter into any campaigns again for a cpl years.
    Hope you have better luck than me mate.

sorry martin that last message was for mickey i fink i addressed it to you martin.

Thanks Alan.

Thought that may be the case..It's just a pity they don't put you out of your misery any faster. I'm sure they must know by now how many they are taking from campaign 12..it's been five months since I got my letter!

As posted previously I have heard of others getting the 'bye bye' letter earlier in the year, so there may be a very small glimmer of hope. I have however more or less resigned myself to the prospect of simply waiting for the 'No'..

Cheers

Mickey2186...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,748 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Just because someone receives medical forms does not mean they have already passed vetting. Receiving medical forms is just part of the application process. Passing the Assessment Centre is a trigger point for 2 lots of forms to be sent out, in no particular order.

Check out this link for a bit of a visual explanation:
    Hi martin thanx for your reply. That means they vetted u in 2 and a half weeks. they wudnt send ya out med forms unless u pass the vetting im assuming as thats the way it workd before. Is this still the case PSNI?
    Its unusually quick vetting if it is the case

Alan, the medical and vetting are separate from each other. PSNI mentioned it could take some 3-4 months to go through vetting, maybe even more :(

PSNI My GP is a friend of my Father's so I'm quite lucky there. Both my parents also work in a hospital so if any extra reports are needed I think they may be able to get a copy. My main problem is trying to remember dates from years ago but I spoke to someone in Occ Health who eased my concerns a little. I gather they want you to fill in with as much detail as you can but if anything requires further investigation the medical advisor will request it.

Martin.

Exactly.

If you had your appendix or tonsils out when you were a kid, then they're not bothered. But if you broke your back or had a recent heroin problem or something on that scale, they would want to know each and every minute detail. It's all relative to the job you'll (hopefully) be doing.
    Alan, the medical and vetting are separate from each other. PSNI mentioned it could take some 3-4 months to go through vetting, maybe even more :(

PSNI My GP is a friend of my Father's so I'm quite lucky there. Both my parents also work in a hospital so if any extra reports are needed I think they may be able to get a copy. My main problem is trying to remember dates from years ago but I spoke to someone in Occ Health who eased my concerns a little. I gather they want you to fill in with as much detail as you can but if anything requires further investigation the medical advisor will request it.

Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

Hi folks,

Not sure if this was already mentioned as appeared to be news to me and this thread has taken off again in the last week....

Was wondering why all the talk about Feb intake, since I had received a circular with my vetting form saying to return the form ASAP as they wanted to get ppl in for the Jan 08 intake.

Anyway - rang the appointments office there to enquire if the Jan intake was full (so then I'd know the earliest I could hope for would be summer), and they said 'not yet'. Also, I said would the next one be in July, and she said there was an intake every 5 weeks?? Something about '4 weeks in residency, and then you get a week off' or other?!

Lis

I got that to, Jan intake is a campaign 12 intake from what I am told ,so I wonder why they cant fill the places if they go through the merit list?
    The lady told me people from campaign 13 would be used to bump up the numbers on the Jan intake. There will be an intake every month until all the places have been filled which would bring us to sept 08.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭justaquestion

just to clarify.

apparently they are looking 440 candidates for campaign 13. if they are still filling up campaign 12 does that mean there are more than 440 places for people who applied this campaign. this is my first time applying and received the letter saying i passed assessment centre a few days ago, 61/2 wks after ass centre. no vetting or medical forms. applied on 12th june when campaign opened so a little annoyed that there are so many other people getting forms and being told about possible intake in january. i wont know anything about medical or vetting for 4weeks apparently so pretty sure no possibility of jan intake here. also does anyone have any idea what the success rate is for catholics in the merit pool. i have a vested interest in this question

justaquestion

Try this web page, gives a table showing how many candidates in the merit pool and also how many got through to training.
    http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmhansrd/cm061009/text/61009w0072.htm

As far as the success rate I really dont know, but an article in the Belfast Telegraph said 44% of applicants this campaign are from the catholic community so the numbers are starting to even up.

Jim

Seems the whole process is a bit different this time.

In previous campaigns it only took about 2 weeks to find out if you had passed the AC. They would then send out a medical date and vetting forms were only sent if the medical was passed.

This time it appears that the vetting has started before the medical, which seems strange as there may be those who will not pass the medical, so the vetting will become immaterial.

I think the length of time it has taken to get the results from the AC this time is because the PSNI were having a look at the results before Consensia sent them out (thats what we were told at the AC anyway).

I would imagine that it will take a few months yet before the merit pool is complete!!! Anyone agree?

Mickey2186

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Ethan321

Mickey, i would agree, it will take a bit longer than usual to get evryone through to the merit pool.
    Jim, interesting link mate, would appear that ther is no real set num per year in through the college doors, but really a num by requirement of policing numbers.:)

I wonder why the PSNI would want to take a look this time before the results were sent out?

• Advertisement

Jim,

Don't know..unless they wanted to see what the balance was like to give them some ideas of possible numbers at an earlier stage. In previous campaigns Consensia did everything including the medical, however this time even the medical is being run by PSNI.

Perhaps they weren't getting enough people through to acheive the numbers required?

Mickey2186

Well lets hope we all get good news if they are taking 220 from each background!, you can still find out your merit listing if you havent been through vetting or medical yet but I think it wont be until mid/late december as the last assessments are taking place this week.

Pity about the delay, but I hope it doesn't run on too long :(

It would now appear that if either my partner or I are offered training it could affect our wedding plans :eek:

We are due to get married towards the end of August but we've no honeymoon booked as yet. Do you think they'd allow us the time off for the actual ceremony/reception?

Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ismise69

Hi all, like many others i'm new to here, had my assessment(situational interviews) on the 15th of November, and got the letter saying to wait 4 weeks for information about the next process (recieved 3rd Dec)
    am excited to find out what happens next now.. anyone else recieved info about this, or have been confirmed a date for the medical??

Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭justaquestion

ismise69 wrote: »
    Hi all, like many others i'm new to here, had my assessment(situational interviews) on the 15th of November, and got the letter saying to wait 4 weeks for information about the next process (recieved 3rd Dec)
    am excited to find out what happens next now.. anyone else recieved info about this, or have been confirmed a date for the medical??

Cheers in advance.

i called consentia today and asked them a few questions.
    first i asked them what the craic was with so many people receiving letters saying to wait for 4weeks. obvious answer here: delay in processing

secondly i asked them how many numbers would be offered training. they said that consentia do not know this info. the psni decide this. i also askde them if they had a timescale on medical dates for those with the letter about 4 weeks. he said unfortunately not. he said they sent the exact same letter out to a few hundred people in three or four days just so people knew they were going further in the campaign.

Yes absolutely.

At the discretion of the Inspectors in charge of Foundation Training, you can have up to 5 days off as special leave. The criteria for special leave is very tight, but your own marriage IS provided for in there.

Be sure to make it known on day 1 though.
    Pity about the delay, but I hope it doesn't run on too long :(

It would now appear that if either my partner or I are offered training it could affect our wedding plans :eek:

We are due to get married towards the end of August but we've no honeymoon booked as yet. Do you think they'd allow us the time off for the actual ceremony/reception?

Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

hi all

just got a letter off consentia saying i passed the AC so im delighted, it said i will hear back with in 4 weeks, so my question is this, if some one can answer please, what are the odds of starting training in the new year as i will have to sort out work stuff and not want to say any thing too early or not get in ?

I'm no expert but lets say you get your vetting forms today you'll be waiting 3-4 months for feedback. It would then appear March-April would be the earliest depending on how you did in the merit pool.

Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Fiacmar

I reckon with the special bond that now exists between all the posters on this thread, that we should all get a few days off for the wedding! :D:D:D

(Naturally, I reckon that we should all get offered training too :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

he said they sent the exact same letter out to a few hundred people in three or four days just so people knew they were going further in the campaign.

Hi,
    I got such a letter in the post yesterday (2nd one I got I think as got it the first time after I did the AC in Oct), and I've already done the medical and vetting is in progress etc. So I wouldn't panic that there are that many ppl yet to do medicals etc - maybe some of those 'few hundred' are duplicate sendees or what have you!

all the best
    Lis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement