Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell launch thin and light XPS m1330 in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

we might all have it this time next year and it'll be old by then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bazcaz

Says on the online order status that my delivery is tomorrow....rang customer support in india on Monday and was told that its in Production and I should have it on Thurs as expected.

Rang again this morning to double check and now the estimated delivery date is 28 september , sickened but should have expected it really.

Probably going to cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

been keeping an eye on this thread to see if Dell get the finger out. I was thinking of ordering one but will prob get something else instead with a reasonalbe delivery time.

Anyone got any alternative suggestions? sony viao?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 d_mc_a

Hang on a few weeks and go for the Acer U3. I'm considering cancelling my dell order and swapping to this. It has all the M1330 features + some extra. In fact, It even looks very like it in design. LED display and integrated GPS system to name a few. Its out mid september, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Cancelled today, Dell can go ask my boll*cks.

• Advertisement

Just put in the request for cancellation,its going to take a day....they cant even do that quickly...going to get a vostro instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

bazcaz wrote:
    Just put in the request for cancellation,its going to take a day....they cant even do that quickly...going to get a vostro instead

Whats good about the Vostro, doesnt seem to be a whole lot diffent about it than other Dell laptops???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Whats good about the Vostro, doesnt seem to be a whole lot diffent about it than other Dell laptops???

Way better gaming orientated video cards for the same price as some laptops with basic integrated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

bazcaz wrote:
    You're just leaving one queue to go stand on another :confused:

Personally, I would stick with the M1330 as I feel it looks the best. I wanted an Ultra-portable laptop and the only reason I ordered this one, is because of the design. I could have easily gone with a different brand. It's the same reason I my old laptop is an alienware, it looks good, and performs well. The vostro perform's well and looks like a former Soviet Union, cast-iron brick in comparison with the M1330. If your going to cancel, don't buy another dell.

BTW: Anyone feel like driving to Dell with me, sneaking in to the production lines at night and build these laptops. Laptop Fairies did it......

• Advertisement

Last Night, My Dell status changed from pre-production to production and this morning:

Your order is being prepared for shipment as of 21/08/2007

f@ck yea!!!https://static.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/custom/black/smilies/biggrin.gif
    :D

As of 8:20am, This has been dispatched. i've gotta admit, that was quicker than I expected. I might actually have mine before I start back in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey dave,

I ordered mine on 5/7 aswell and the delivery date is still 5/9. It's still in pre-producion.

Did you order the white-led screen or the standard screen?

art wrote:
    You're just leaving one queue to go stand on another :confused:

True but this queue is shorter and can get similarly specced vostro for bout 500 cheaper...decided didnt need the portability as much but doubt i would have come to that decision if dell hadnt given me so many weeks to mull it over!!

Here's the spec of mine so you can compare it to your one. I'd say that your status will change very soon if the order dates are so alike. Keep an eye on it, once it starts production it will fly through the rest in less than an hour.

XPS M1330 CORE 2 DUO T7100 1.80GHz,800,2M
    No Biometric Fingerprint Reader
    13.3" WXGA (1280x800) Display with TrueLife¿
    Tuxedo Black & 2.0 mega pixel Camera for CCFL Display
    Memory Dual-Channel 2048MB (2x1024) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Hard Drive 120GB Serial ATA
    Primary 9-cell 85WHr Li-Ion Battery
    128 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini-PCI Card

I'm having it delivered to my workplace, does anyone know how long it should take if it is already with Interlink and is delivering from Limerick to Shannon. That's not exactly a massive journey.

I'm expecting a delay on the Interlink site in my delivery because there is a shortage of glass for the screens of the delivery van.

The only difference is I opted for the white-led screen and the bio-metric finger scanner (because it sounds kinda cool!!) which seemingly adds further delays.....cheers dell!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

My system is now being listed as being in Production.

Has this happened to everybody?
    I reckon its a cheap stunt to placate people :confused:

If its in production, It will jump pretty fast through all the other processes. I believe mine was in production for the last 3 weeks but it only changed from pre-production to production within the last 2 days. A half an hour after that, its
    status was dispatched. I still haven't got a tracking number form Interlink though and it has been dispatched since half 8 yesterday morning. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

d_mc_a wrote:
    If its in production, It will jump pretty fast through all the other processes. I believe mine was in production for the last 3 weeks but it only changed from pre-production to production within the last 2 days. A half an hour after that, its
    status was dispatched. I still haven't got a tracking number form Interlink though and it has been dispatched since half 8 yesterday morning. ..
    You won't get one. They don't provide tracking numbers for Interlink shipments.

It's finally arrived. It's looking nice too. I have it on charge now in work. I went with the 9-cell so the overhanging battery is a bit annoying but it's not to obtrusive. I'm pretty much going to be wiping this immediately to install FC and XP. I'll let ye know how it goes...

• Advertisement

d_mc_a wrote:
    It's finally arrived. It's looking nice too. I have it on charge now in work. I went with the 9-cell so the overhanging battery is a bit annoying but it's not to obtrusive. I'm pretty much going to be wiping this immediately to install FC and XP. I'll let ye know how it goes...

Lucky you:D

Let us know how FC install goes as thats my OS also.

Why XP instead of Vista for dual boot?

Rang Dell today...said my M1330 should arrive before it's due delivery date as they have started mass production. So I should get it just below the 2 month mark..woohoo!!

Kind of off-topic, but how long should u charge a 6-cell battery for?? Can u use the laptop while doing a first charge or are u better off charging the battery without turning the laptop on?

Well mine has just shipped, I should have the new toy for the weekend.

Hey mark,

When did you order yours?

Did you go for the white-led screen?

jamieh wrote:
    Hey mark,

When did you order yours?

Did you go for the white-led screen?

Ordered Black model on the 20th July.

Did not go for the white screen as there was a notice at the time saying that it could delay your order by 20 days.

I ordered mine on July 5th but I'm going for the white-led....disaster!!

Ok, I used the laptop for a good while last night. De-Delling it by removing all the crap they install. It comes with a 10gb recovery partition that is plenty of space for XP to be installed to. XP has a few driver issues, but hopefully they will soon get worked out. I doubt Dell has or ever will have XP drivers for this laptop. They also gave me the built-in biometric finger print scanner free of charge, by mistake i believe. The Media remote work very well with the vista media centre software. This screen is the best screen I have ever seen on a laptop. I use a Dell D630 everyday in work and the brightest setting on that is the darkest setting on the XPS 1330!!!. I'm going to resize the Vista partition after work today and install FC there to see what happens. The 8400 perform's very well too. I ran a few steam games on it and it ran flawlessy on full resolution at about 50fps. The vista rating is 4.0 but I don't trust that rating system anyway. I'll let ye know how FC goes later on today.

Oh, the built-in camera is very nice too. Dell have actually included some HANDY free software with it that let's you remotely view it.

The biometric scanner is in a bit of an annoying location and is really only usable from your right hand. Also, there is a bit of a quirk to this. In order for it to read your fingerprint successfully, you need to completely cover the scanner with your finger and slide it downwards. If you don't completely block light getting in to the scanner head, it will fail the scan. I hope this info is helpful to ppl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

You should probably update your signature! :)

The battery life is very good so far on this laptop. I'm getting a cool 4 hours at least but I'm expecting that to shorting over the next few weeks. Does anyone know is the 6-cell battery flush with the case? I might order one of these too as it might be handy to have a flush case/battery pack.

I'm tired of talking about dell for the past month in my sig so, I removed the usual Dell flaming sig and replaced it with a random question plucked from my "special" brain. Mine is white with red stripes that run parallel to the ground when in a standing position, BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Mine is denim blue with a gold thread through it and a questionable white bottom

Advertisement