Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Bought From ComputersComputers.ie?

Options
  • 05-06-2007 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

I've an order that's been "pending" from these guys since last Monday. I've mailed them twice and also rang them, but to no avail. They haven't even replied. Of course, they've already deducted the amount from my credit card... :mad: I mean, I wouldn't mind if the item (it's only one item) is simply out of stock, but I'd appreciate being told.

Does anyone have any experience with this crowd? Good / bad points?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Cant find much about them on google for good or bad comments. Apart from randomly email people. Their prices seem a bit weird too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Anti wrote:
    Cant find much about them on google for good or bad comments. Apart from randomly email people. Their prices seem a bit weird too.

Their prices are weird Anti,

They are charging €200 for a WD 500GB My Book thats on Komplett for €130 :eek:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

IT sounds to me like a new company setup in someone's bedroom that buys from komplett and then charges you a huge mark-up. I could be wrong though. But since they are a affiliate of blacknight solution ( a hosting company ) so they make money for signing people up to BK it would seem to me that they run a very small operation.

OP Have you had any contact from them as of yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

I've had absolutely ZERO contact from ComputersComputers.ie. In an effort to get in touch with them, I've also tried ComputerRepairs.ie (run by the same crowd / guy as far as I can tell), but no luck. 5 e-mails, 3 phone calls, nothing.

So, I raised and issue with PayPal. After the customary 14 day wait and no response from seller, I escalated the issue with PayPal. They then attempted to return me my funds (€70.66) but only succeeded in getting me less than 1% back (€0.64).

I wrote back to PayPal asking were they going to try harder (it said in their original mail they would), and they said they would "endeavour to"... :(

Can anyone advise me on this please? Afaik, I *could* ask Bank of Ireland to just refund me the credit (I paid with credit card), but since it was VIA PayPal, I'm not sure how helpful they'll be able to be.

If I could just get contact details for this guy, I'd ring him directly and just demand my money back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

its the worng forum now m8.

there is a forum for law/rights.not sure which 1 tho :D

• Advertisement

awhir wrote:
    its the worng forum now m8.

there is a forum for law/rights.not sure which 1 tho :D

Y'know, I was thinking exactly the same thing when I was typing! :)

Is there any chance a mod could please move this to "Biz > Consumer
    Consumer Issues"? I feel keeping the thread in tact will help people get a feel for the process I've been through... Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

looks to me like the site is stopped, could be why the prices seem so high. also notice at the bottom it says "copyright 2006".
    Maybe there just isnt somebody there to give you your money back? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Folex wrote:
    So, I raised and issue with PayPal. After the customary 14 day wait and no response from seller, I escalated the issue with PayPal. They then attempted to return me my funds (€70.66) but only succeeded in getting me less than 1% back (€0.64).

I wrote back to PayPal asking were they going to try harder (it said in their original mail they would), and they said they would "endeavour to"... :(

Can anyone advise me on this please? Afaik, I *could* ask Bank of Ireland to just refund me the credit (I paid with credit card), but since it was VIA PayPal, I'm not sure how helpful they'll be able to be.

If you paid into paypal with the credit card, then charge back on the credit card. Paypal can't and won't refund you if the other paypal account is already empty.

Yep, your bank will be able to sort this for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭pedroj

well says dr based in limerick:

ComputersComputers.ie
    Curragh
    Castlemahon
    Newcastle West
    Co. Limerick
    Ireland

Any1 in limerick know bout them or can pay them a visit? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Gabico

Sorry to dig out an old thread
    but I bought a laptop from this guy two months ago and didn't receive anything either.
    I found his add on adverts. It was a broken laptop (I needed some parts from it) and I only paid 85E but I feel frustrated that someone can get away with it so easily.
    The guys name is Andrew Lane and he is running both ComputersComputers.ie and ComputerRepairs.ie as far as I can tell.
    I tried calling him on different numbers but no luck. He ignores all my emails too.
    I asked the mods to ban him from adverts which they did but now I found out that he has another account on boards/adverts. I paid him by bank transfer so cant get a refund.
    Now I only wish I have some business in Limerick to have an excuse to drive there and pay him a visit.
    How did you sort out your issue Folex? Did paypal refund you in the end?

Hey Gabico,

Sorry to hear of your struggles with this guy; I get the feeling you might be in a worse situation than me. I've just mailed PayPal again there insisting on my money in return (it's now 30 days to the hour since they originally stipulated I'd receive my "reversed payment").

My searches dug up the same as you; i.e. his name is Andrew Lane and he runs both those sites. I've left several (increasingly nasty) voicemails on his system and written him emails as well, but to no avail. To be honest, I was beginning to think he was some kind of loner who died and no-one knew of his webstores or something ;) That was, at least, until you mentioned that you bought something from him only two months ago.

Man, I'd happily go with you down to Limerick to pay him a visit. I wonder if there's some way to legally look up the contact details for a sole trader. Something along the lines of the Data Protection Act or similar... I'm not really up on that sort of thing though; anyone have any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Gabico wrote:
    Sorry to dig out an old thread
    but I bought a laptop from this guy two months ago and didn't receive anything either.
    I found his add on adverts. It was a broken laptop (I needed some parts from it) and I only paid 85E but I feel frustrated that someone can get away with it so easily.
    The guys name is Andrew Lane and he is running both ComputersComputers.ie and ComputerRepairs.ie as far as I can tell.
    I tried calling him on different numbers but no luck. He ignores all my emails too.
    I asked the mods to ban him from adverts which they did but now I found out that he has another account on boards/adverts. I paid him by bank transfer so cant get a refund.
    Now I only wish I have some business in Limerick to have an excuse to drive there and pay him a visit.
    How did you sort out your issue Folex? Did paypal refund you in the end?

You could and should contact the police in Limerick about this guy.
    I don't know if they can do anything, but they may be able to advise you.

I also found one of the guys here has the same problem
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055088576

I did go to the police here in Galway. I told them that I cannot get in touch with him. Hes rejecting all my calls and my emails. They said that there is nothing they can do about it. The fact that I cannot contact him is not an infraction...They suggested for me to go to Limerick and face him and if he refuses to refund me to come back to them. They registred my complaint but theyll do nothing about it yet...
    Now I didn't pay too much for the broken laptop: only 85E but it is fustrating to see someone get away that easily with stealing your money.

Man oh man, does this make my blood boil...

It seems this dude is a regular con-artist. At least three reports of scammed people here on Boards so far. I would be surprised if his name even really IS Andrew Lane.

PayPal have just contacted me saying that they can't issue any more money as a refund because there's nothing in his account...

I'm not going to rest at this; €70 *is* a pain in the ass, but it's the disrespect of the matter that's the most frustrating. I'm going to see if I can find out any more info on this "sole trader" and I'll definitely keep this post updated with my findings! (if that's ok with the mods - i.e. not too off-topic)

Gabico, what was the username on Adverts that this "person" went under?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

and there was me thinking that the .ie was well controlled to stop this type of stuff ;)

Can you search the business name in the company registration office ?

Complain to the hosting company or whoever is in control of the .ie domains ?

Post him some fresh fish ?? ;)

His user name was paddyspa.
    I have his bank details as I transferred the money into his account..
    I also found his beebo page and his skype id but not too much activity on neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Small claims clourt? Also if you have is bank details, call his bank. They will not give you his info but you can inform them of his activities. To have a bank account he had to provide proof of identity as well as address.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Folex: I was reading the thread you started in the HTPC forum and saw that you were looking at getting that keyboard from the computerscomputers.ie website. I was thinking of getting the same one and then stumbled on this thread. Phew, thank god I did! Its a really crappy situation when somebody rips you off like this. The more we spread the word the better. Maybe even a sticky in this forum for an up to date list of online PC component retailers who are reliable and unreliable as the case may be?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

His website is now serving blank pages... hmm.

• Advertisement

Some more info on him. Not much help, but all the same...

Address:: 7 Howley Court, Steamboat Quay, Limerick, Limerick
    Email: info@computerrepairs.ie

From: http://www.whois.ie/cgi-bin/whois.cgi?whois=computerrepairs.ie&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

domain: computerrepairs.ie
    descr: Aclane Computer Services Limited
    descr: Body Corporate (Ltd,PLC,Company)
    descr: Discretionary Name
    admin-c: ABA592-IEDR
    tech-c: HH36-IEDR
    renewal: 09-November-2007
    nserver: ns1.hosting365.ie
    nserver: ns2.hosting365.ie
    source: IEDR

person: Andrew Lane
    nic-hdl: ABA592-IEDR

person: Hosting 365 Hostmaster
    nic-hdl: HH36-IEDR

For the record, I'm still doing battle with PayPal to get my money back. The more time that goes by, the more tempted I am to go down to either of those addresses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Well if it is a limited company, which it may have to be, due to having a .ie doain it means there will be information available at the companies registration office
    http://www.cro.ie/

Business Name
    Number 278133

Name
    COMPUTERREPAIRS.IE

Address
    CURRAGH,
    CASTLEMAHON,
    CO. LIMERICK.

Registered
    16/05/2005

Status
    Normal

You may view a list of submissions or request a business name printout which details a business name's name, previous name, registered office, type, registration date, owners and a list of each submission that has been received or registered.

Well lo and behold, anyone of €2.50 to spare?
    It also works for business names it seems.

Someone with 2.50 to spare could buy the pdf and post it up here for all of us to see - it's free information afterall

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Folex wrote:
    Y'know, I was thinking exactly the same thing when I was typing! :)

Is there any chance a mod could please move this to "Biz > Consumer
    Consumer Issues"? I feel keeping the thread in tact will help people get a feel for the process I've been through... Thanks!
    Ugh, just seeing this now... prob better off there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Its a nice little scam that this guy has going. Ask the Star for help. Suggest it as a story for a consumers awareness piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

IMO it would be best to go the small claims route. Its a cheap legal route and would mean a court award against him and thus give him problems with banks / suppliers.

Other option is to ring the local garda station and claim you have been a victim of fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Contact Hosting 365 abuse department (have your supporing documentation ready).

Then, contact the IEDR to figure out what RBN the computerscomputers.ie was registered against (explain you're investigating a case of fraud). They may refuse to give out the information but I know of one case where they did, some years ago.

Then get the full address of that RBN and whether it's registered to Andrew himself, or to a Ltd company (like Aclane), and issue Small Claims Court proceedings against him (only costs you a few quid).

If you can't get the details from IEDR, then I'd attempt SCC proceedings against Andrew at the address on the website (computerscomputers, not computer repairs). The reason you can't slap SCC on Aclane, is that they might well be a completely different entity to the RBN of Andres (if he's personally registered it).

If/when (I presume they will, but the background to your case might not all be presented here) the SCC awards in your favour, use that ruling to present to Paypal, your Credit Card issuer, IEDR & Hosting 365 (to maybe have the domains terminated), and possibly the Gardai if you're still getting nowhere.

Also, PM the other users for their real names / contact info / experiences, and consent to support your case in the SCC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

if you get a judgement in your favour in the SCC AND he does not cough up straight away then go to the Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement to chase his ass. Thats www.odce.ie .

Insist they close down all his domains and deactivate them as it is part of his corporate trading persona

I spent the €6 in getting the following bits of info ;) Not a whole lot of use, but at least now we can be certain of his name.

There wasn't any entry on CRO.ie for ComputersComputers.ie, just ComputerRepairs.ie

Anyone know what the "Presenter" is responsible for and / or if they'd be any help to us?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm curious, has anyone gone to the addresses already listed in this thread?

Might be worth going there taking some photos and posting them up, so we have a file on him and if he sees this thread he'll be well aware people are after him and are serious

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote:
    I'm curious, has anyone gone to the addresses already listed in this thread?

Might be worth going there taking some photos and posting them up, so we have a file on him and if he sees this thread he'll be well aware people are after him and are serious
    I didn't get a chance to go to Limerick yet but I am planning to go there at the end of Sept for a meeting.
    I'll pay him a visit for sure.

Advertisement