Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New MCE Build...

Options
  • 28-05-2007 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm building myself an MCE box to go with a new LCD TV I bought recently ;)

Only bought 3 components so far (http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=467351&su=340E35AB-4811-413C-876E-47D3283E0F85), but the plan is to go with an Antec Fusion case, and perhaps a decent wireless keyboard-mouse-in-one dealy or a remote. I already have a few spare drives lying around and also a DVD drive.

I'm not going to be recording any TV or anything like that (perhaps in the future, but not for now); I just want a basic system for streaming / playing local media. More than likely, I'm gonna go with something like GeexBox or LinuxMCE. Am I right in assuming MythTV / KnoppMyth is overkill when I'll only be *playing* media?

So, does anyone have any suggestions about keyboards / remotes? I'll have to get my hands on a bluetooth dongle, more than likely... Also, does anyone know the best / cheapest place to get an Antec Fusion? Dabs / Komplett / Elara don't have them, so at the moment it's looking like ComputerBits or Overclockers, and I'll probably want to get any other small dealies (dongles, etc.) in the same order.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Komplett, OcUK both sell the Antec fusion.

You should check out Logitech stuff as they make nice bluetooth keybaords/mice not sure about remotes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Komplett, the b*stards (who listen to B*witched)! :) They were out of stock of the Fusion yesterday when I made the order, so I ordered from Overclockers! Curses!

In the end, I went with a Keyboard / Pointerstick combo from ComputersComputers.ie: http://www.computerscomputers.ie/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1103&osCsid=1635880ca53edc2d1e79cd4183efca37

A friend of mine has one and they're nice little things. Logitech do a similar product, but it's quite expensive. I'm quite happy with the motherboard actually; got a demo item from Komplett (i.e. a little cheaper) but it's quite future-proofed as far as HTPC's go.

Looking forward to this build now. Can anyone think of anything else I should be considering for this box? It's my first HTPC / MCE, so I may be forgetting things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

have you got a remote?
    keyboard is overkill if you just want to select a video to watch

Yeah, I hmm'd and haw'd at the idea of a remote or the keyboard, but I've actually used that Trust one before and I really like it. Plus, it'll make searching through my library of stuff a little easier.

The other point is that the Antec Fusion (in it's current incarnation) doesn't have a decent mount point for an IR receiver. Antec say there's space behind the VFD, but you've to butcher it to get any realistic use. I didn't really want a gaudy IR transceiver lying about the place and the RF remotes seemed too expensive.

You never know, in two weeks I could be posting back here asking "Anyone know any good remotes?" ;) But hopefully, that won't be the case!

a keybaord is uglier than an ir recevier :),

also does the "other half factor" come into play?
    any woman worth her salt will refuse to use a keyboard as a remote ;)

• Advertisement

subway wrote:
    also does the "other half factor" come into play?
    any woman worth her salt will refuse to use a keyboard as a remote ;)

Ha! :D Very good point, but actually I was just talking to her about it this morning. I'm quite blessed, in that regard: I've a rare breed of ladyfriend that is both tech-savvy AND a genuine woman!

You're right about the keyboard being bigger and bulkier, but I actually was thinking in terms of the unit itself. And I swear, I'm not just post-defending my purchase! :D

your a lucky man :D

Advertisement