Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

Today I saw an abandoned Tractor, its vintage anyway

A very original Nuffield 465 in clump of nettles

Photo0494.jpg

Photo0497.jpg

Apparently the engine is ceased, hence its resting in the corner of the yard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Today I saw an abandoned Tractor, its vintage anyway

A very original Nuffield 465 in clump of nettles

I don't think I ever saw a nuffy 465 with a cab, any that I have didn't have one.
    Shame to have her rottening away in the nettles unloved.I am sure you would be well capable of restoring her back to working order:p...........if she was for sale.

I'd love to have something like that near me so I could examine/play in her:).

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

jimmyw wrote: »
    I don't think I ever saw a nuffy 465 with a cab, any that I have didn't have one.

the cab probably isn't original to the tractor as such, but a weather cab would definitely have been a period accessory, and was on that tractor from its early days

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mk1eighty

VW,s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

mk1eighty wrote: »
    VW,s

474UZJ would look great on a SA CitiGolf :Dhttp://www.thecartorialist.com/?p=1157

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

mk1eighty wrote: »
    VW,s

thanks for the pics. Rough location, just out of curiosity? I won't be knocking on their door looking for parts :D

I'm still waiting for the day someone posts an original Irish registered mk1 Polo in either of the "today I saw..." threads.

I'm of the opinion they weren't sold here. I have yet to see any evidence to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭maidhc

the cab probably isn't original to the tractor as such, but a weather cab would definitely have been a period accessory, and was on that tractor from its early days

Looks like a Sekura cab.

Very usable tractor still, shame to see it like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

...I'm still waiting for the day someone posts an original Irish registered mk1 Polo in either of the "today I saw..." threads.

I'm of the opinion they weren't sold here. I have yet to see any evidence to the contrary.

I don't think that they were - only the Derby was sold in the RoI - and it sold poorly, as the engine size was over 1.0 litre (GG engine code, 1043cc, IIRC), so the motor tax was in the 1200cc bracket, while the power was still around the <999cc area...

Type 17 wrote: »
    I don't think that they were - only the Derby was sold in the RoI - and it sold poorly, as the engine size was over 1.0 litre (GG engine code, 1043cc, IIRC), so the motor tax was in the 1200cc bracket, while the power was still around the <999cc area...

Same with Ford on the Ka - 1.3 here, 1.0 available in Italy and Brazil . Nissan made it with the Micra 1.0 here when other manufacturers couldn't be arsed to offer a sub- 1.0 engine here :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Blue850

I've a listing for the Polo and Polo L in the new car price lists in a November 77 issue of Motoring Life, £3115 and £3275

Problem was.... Fiat 127 £2335, Renault 5 £2648, Fiesta £2708, Kadett £2669

Even the 2dr Golf was only £3265,

The next price list I have is August 78 and the Polo is no longer listed

• Advertisement

what a shame they didn't import the Polo. They even had a 900-odd CC engine available in the Polo lineup.

here's the only original Irish registered Polo I've ever come across, it was a '76 model, brought home to Co. Kilkenny in 1979 when he returned from the UK, hence the 1979 registration. It had a BIP plate. I broke it for spares for a Derby I was restoring at the time. It was well beyond salvation though, it was rotten in EVERY panel :(

664a16f5.jpg

0d0af5c1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Blue850 wrote: »
    I've a listing for the Polo and Polo L in the new car price lists in a November 77 issue of Motoring Life, £3115 and £3275

Well, given those prices, I doubt that any were ever actually sold, even if they were officially offered for sale...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

the car salesmans guide january 1981 doesnt have the polo on the new car price list but it shows up on second hand car values and the listing there is for 1976 ---1978

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mk1eighty

Hi

I came across the 1981 Vw Derby in a scrapyard near Edenderry, Midland Auto Salvage. It was in a shed for years.

The engine is seized, the body needs a drivers sill,rear arch and a rear panel. Irish car with tax book.

A respray would be needed, the colour is gold.

The car is complete.

I would take it myself but to many projects.

It would be a shame to see it baled, it is away from the rest of the scrap.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

there was no motor tax for cars under 2012cc from the 1st of march 1976 until sometime in the early eighties , but you had to pay a 10 punts yearly registeration fee , so it was too small of an engine that made it bad value

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Blue850 wrote: »

Irish Motor Month June '76 lists the Polo N at £2705 and the Polo L at £2855
    A Hillman Hunter super 1725 is £2617, and a Cortina 1300 2dr £2587

A 127 is £1797, R5 £2298 and a Kadett E £2149

Polo is quite expensive relatively...

Irish Motor Month June '76 lists the Polo N at £2705 and the Polo L at £2855
    A Hillman Hunter super 1725 is £2617, and a Cortina 1300 2dr £2587

A 127 is £1797, R5 £2298 and a Kadett E £2149

Polo is quite expensive relatively...

how does the price of the Polo compare to the base model Golf or Beetle? Did they deliberately price it out of the market? Strange tactic unless they really wanted to push the big brother Golf in its stead.

When you consider the massive amount of models in VWs current range, you'd wonder when the bloat set in. There's a model for every niche market nowadays.

how does the price of the Polo compare to the base model Golf or Beetle? Did they deliberately price it out of the market? Strange tactic unless they really wanted to push the big brother Golf in its stead.

When you consider the massive amount of models in VWs current range, you'd wonder when the bloat set in. There's a model for every niche market nowadays.

VW Golf N was £2965 as opposed to the £2705 for the Polo N
    A VW1200 deluxe was £2150

At the other end of the scale a RR Shadow was £22450 and a Ferrari Dino 308 GT €13000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

All this talk of Polos reminds me that I have a really lovely example for sale with just over 27,000 miles!;)

Just thought Id mention it ...... :D

... but dont tell 2CV I told you though cuz he wants it really badly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Blue850

Nov 77 prices, here comes the inflation!

VW 1200 2490
    VW 1200L 2750
    Golf 2dr 3265
    Golf 4dr 3435
    Golf 2dr diesel 3865
    Golf 4dr diesel 3995
    Golf L 4dr diesel 4185
    Passat Variant 4360
    Scirrocco TS 5115

Polo 3115
    Polo L 3275

Audi 80 4495

Rolls Royce Silver Shadow 2 30250

• Advertisement

Told by a girl that worked in a motor importers that the manufacturers look at the Irish market, then set a base price before taxes. So evidently VW thought the stupid Irish would pay a premium for the Polo because it was so twee :p

The example I used before was the Land Criuiser 100/Amazon - in Japan it was €30k, Australia €35k (both markets used it as a commercial/utility jeep ), UK was €50k and Irish price was €80k - WHY? Because the Irish were paying €50k for the 'smaller' Pajero, therefore Toyota reckoned that they'd fork out €80 for the bigger Amazon. (They set the 'before tax' wholesale price to the importers to take account of our high taxes, so the wholesale price could be 25k in Japan, 40k in UK, and 50k in Ireland ).

We're the authors of our own downfall :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

w124man wrote: »
    ... but dont tell 2CV I told you though cuz he wants it really badly

:mad: :mad: :mad:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭supersaint3

Don't think I've seen this before in this thread, looks to be in rag order altogether, Ferrari badge on steering wheel??

Don't think I've seen this before in this thread, looks to be in rag order altogether, Ferrari badge on steering wheel??

A VW Beetle in a different hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭supersaint3

A VW Beetle in a different hat.

I was thinking it was a kit car, any more info??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I was thinking it was a kit car, any more info??

It's a Nova.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

Yup its a Nova Kit Car. There are a few of those about and the finish on them is worse than atrocious ....... Weird door!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

And THAT exact car features on this thread a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

spotted these two a few weeks ago lincoln+ford.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

68deville wrote: »
    spotted these two a few weeks ago lincoln+ford.JPG

Not Ireland, I'd guess:(.
    not too many shoebox Fords like that around, looks like it was customised at some stage.

Advertisement