Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Jeez, if I had money I would absolutely love to own a classic 900.I really took a shine to them.Two door I think. I would actually take any Saab including the GM ones, but not at all keen on the 9-3s that took over from them.

There is a buyers guide in the October issue of "Practical Classics" magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Yeah I have always liked those 900 , they are certainly different and unique , nowadays many cars look the same. Might invest in one if I move on a project or two ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 allana13

Shame to see so many cars rusty away... wish there could be a charity that could be set up to save these cars which could later be sold of or rented..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

2 hours ago in Monkstown boatyard (Cork) ... the red convertible looks pretty solid, not too much rust and the interior is good.. the green one is in pretty bad shape, there are two holes on each side under the front window etc., but the interior is neat..

IMG_4746.jpg

IMG_4745.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Diabhalta wrote: »
    2 hours ago in Monkstown boatyard (Cork) ... the red convertible looks pretty solid, not too much rust and the interior is good.. the green one is in pretty bad shape, there are two holes on each side under the front window etc., but the interior is neat..

€1.70 a litre and €1200 a year road tax will do that, probably imported during the celtic tiger when such things didn't matter so much to some.
    Theres nothing worse for the deterioration of a classic than left sitting outside unused.
    They might go back to the UK where they would have some chance of survival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

The red one is a "cabriolet", with a big roll over bar in it, this can be seen from the thicker B pillar. Not the most desirable Jag and those two look like they will be beyond reasonable repair by the time the classic tax comes in. Pity, but that's the way it is.

I think the government should do something to protect 20-30 year old cars, and implement a €500 ceiling tax rate for them as a stop gap between their 20th and 30th year. It's not as if they would be losing out on a lot of money, on the contrary i reckon they would boost their revenue intake overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mk1eighty

I was just down in my panel beaters just outside of naas and in the corner of the workshop and "abandoned" Merc W123 irish reg and has been off the road since 1981 judging by the tax disk. The car looks clean and tidy inside. The paint was a wine colour which I have not seen before.

The car was in for full respray but the owner did not proceed with the job and left the car there.

It must be there 5 years.

Such a shame for an original Irish W123.

I asked was it for sale and it would be, but i am afraid the owner would be asking Celtic tiger prices.

I will try get photos in the next week or so.

Also in front of the Merc was a lates 50,s early 60,s Fintail left to the same fate which is a shame.

It just shows what lies in sheds.

I was just down in my panel beaters just outside of naas and in the corner of the workshop and "abandoned" Merc W123 irish reg and has been off the road since 1981 judging by the tax disk. The car looks clean and tidy inside. The paint was a wine colour which I have not seen before.

The car was in for full respray but the owner did not proceed with the job and left the car there.

It must be there 5 years.

Such a shame for an original Irish W123.

I asked was it for sale and it would be, but i am afraid the owner would be asking Celtic tiger prices.

I will try get photos in the next week or so.

Also in front of the Merc was a lates 50,s early 60,s Fintail left to the same fate which is a shame.

It just shows what lies in sheds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

bijapos wrote: »
    I think the government should do something to protect 20-30 year old cars, and implement a €500 ceiling tax rate for them as a stop gap between their 20th and 30th year. It's not as if they would be losing out on a lot of money, on the contrary i reckon they would boost their revenue intake overall.

I agree 100%!!
    The govt should introduce a lower 20-30 yr 'maximum road tax' or alternatively a 25-30 yr 'max tax'. (Many countries allow 'classic road tax' for vehicles over 25yrs old...so a 25-30 yr old 'max tax' could be the solution).

I also agree that the state would boost overal road tax revenue by doing so...think of all the larger-engined cars (like the two Jags pictured above) which would be used on weekends/during the summer if they could be taxed for, €500, (or say €300 for six months)?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Silvera wrote: »
    I agree 100%!!
    The govt should introduce a lower 20-30 yr 'maximum road tax' or alternatively a 25-30 yr 'max tax'. (Many countries allow 'classic road tax' for vehicles over 25yrs old...so a 25-30 yr old 'max tax' could be the solution).

I also agree that the state would boost overal road tax revenue by doing so...think of all the larger-engined cars (like the two Jags pictured above) which would be used on weekends/during the summer if they could be taxed for, €500, (or say €300 for six months)?!

Governments/Revenue don't do logic - they think implementing high taxes will boost their revenue when in fact it does the opposite :D

I've heard a lot of classics / big engined stuff going off on the ferry, and a lot of potential buyers flying off to live in sunnier climes where car taxes are more friendly.

Last person out turn off the engine :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Capri wrote: »
    Governments/Revenue don't do logic - they think implementing high taxes will boost their revenue when in fact it does the opposite :D

I've heard a lot of classics / big engined stuff going off on the ferry, and a lot of potential buyers flying off to live in sunnier climes where car taxes are more friendly.

Last person out turn off the engine :eek:

They'll realise their mistake when there's nobody left! The amount of people approaching me to sell their cars or on their behalf is staggering to be honest! What used to be a tiny fraction of my business is now 90%. I would say there's another 3 or 4 years left in the mass exodus of classics out of the country and in most cases their owners too. All we'll be left with are bums and undesirables, anyone with a bit of get up and go will get up and go!

sogood wrote: »
    An old Peugeot I came across recently, just outside Blessington.

Shame that is beyond repair that one....

Any pics of Fiat Millecentos ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

They'll realise their mistake when there's nobody left! The amount of people approaching me to sell their cars or on their behalf is staggering to be honest! What used to be a tiny fraction of my business is now 90%. I would say there's another 3 or 4 years left in the mass exodus of classics out of the country and in most cases their owners too. All we'll be left with are bums and undesirables, anyone with a bit of get up and go will get up and go!

What sort of premium do you charge for this service if you don't mind me asking? PM if you prefer or if I'm being too nosy just ignore. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

They think of all the new VRT and regular road tax they'd miss if people decide to drive a 1992 BMW 735i as their daily driver, instead of a Ford Mondeo.

20 year old cars are too good these days. I just hope the governemnt don't decide 30 year old cars good enough to start taking away from the daily driver revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Dades wrote: »
    They think of all the new VRT and regular road tax they'd miss if people decide to drive a 1992 BMW 735i as their daily driver, instead of a Ford Mondeo.

20 year old cars are too good these days. I just hope the governemnt don't decide 30 year old cars good enough to start taking away from the daily driver revenue.

But how much is the tax on a 1.8 Mondeo? €600? They would be loosing €100 on tax but more than make up for it with duty on fuel. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    But how much is the tax on a 1.8 Mondeo? €600? They would be loosing €100 on tax but more than make up for it with duty on fuel. ;)
    There'd be less numpties forking out for new cars and paying VRT though!

I was back in my panel beaters yard. And i will upload the photos tomorrow but a few nice cars there.

1) a 2 door saab 900 1991 irish car
    2) a 4 door saab 900 1987 irish car
    3) a saab 9000 cse 2.3 t auto silver, irish car.

They are all parked up for years and are available for sale if anyone is interested.

The bodies are good and interiors clean.

They could be useful to somebody for parts etc.

I was back in my panel beaters yard. And i will upload the photos tomorrow but a few nice cars there.

1) a 2 door saab 900 1991 irish car
    2) a 4 door saab 900 1987 irish car
    3) a saab 9000 cse 2.3 t auto silver, irish car.

They are all parked up for years and are available for sale if anyone is interested.

The bodies are good and interiors clean.

They could be useful to somebody for parts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Is that up in Rialto? If not could you let me know where they are. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭coupequattro

bijapos wrote: »

I have a 1988 2.2 car that I'd love to be using on an occasional basis. As it's so eye watering to tax, I don't use it. So the taxman gets €0 from me. I'd be happy to pay a reasonable sum, so that I can use it. €925 a year is not a reasonable sum, it's €20 per week.
    Now because I don't use it due to the roadtax, the revenue doesn't get any fuel duty from me on the car. Or VAT. No garage or similar services get used, which doesn't help employment, or generate more VAT. It's not insured, so they get nothing from that too. So they get zero from me......
    A reasonable rate of road tax would mean that I would use the car, and they'd get the money that they be "losing" back from me from the duty and VAT on the usage....

The saabs are on the far side of Naas, if you want the contact number give me a PM.

Thanks

I have a 1988 2.2 car that I'd love to be using on an occasional basis. As it's so eye watering to tax, I don't use it. So the taxman gets €0 from me. I'd be happy to pay a reasonable sum, so that I can use it. €925 a year is not a reasonable sum, it's €20 per week.
    Now because I don't use it due to the roadtax, the revenue doesn't get any fuel duty from me on the car. Or VAT. No garage or similar services get used, which doesn't help employment, or generate more VAT. It's not insured, so they get nothing from that too. So they get zero from me......
    A reasonable rate of road tax would mean that I would use the car, and they'd get the money that they be "losing" back from me from the duty and VAT on the usage....

That's our govt /Revenue for you - they could be making loads of money but they prefer to p*ss against the very people who would willingly hand over a FAIR few bob in favour of grand schemes and spin while actually making very little :mad:

Saabs Resting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭Top Dog

mk1eighty wrote: »
    Saabs Resting
    What a waste, especially the 9000 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Resting SAABS from above This one looks extremely Tyred :D:D228494.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I came across an '89 Alfa 164 3.0 V6 thats off the road purely for the road tax issue. Just wasting away.

Surely the Gov would listen if we made the case........but we arent so who is to blame only us !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I came across an '89 Alfa 164 3.0 V6 thats off the road purely for the road tax issue. Just wasting away.

Surely the Gov would listen if we made the case........but we arent so who is to blame only us !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Theres a lot more people driving around with no tax at all these days, so there's a message in there.
    Also, the amount of cars off the road because of road tax means the government don't get the fuel tax, and all the vat on repairs, sales, insurance, etc.
    It also puts extra pressure on government subsidised public transport.

• Advertisement

hi5 wrote: »
    Theres a lot more people driving around with no tax at all these days, so there's a message in there.
    Also, the amount of cars off the road because of road tax means the government don't get the fuel tax, and all the vat on repairs, sales, insurance, etc.
    It also puts extra pressure on government subsidised public transport.

Imagine if the govt did things that would have drivers queuing up to pay 'taxes' - special personalised licence plates like the US / Poland SEAN G 1, PATS VW,.... , cheap tax on 15 -30 yo cars, they'd reap it back on the petrol these yokes would drink, taxes on insurance for older cars ........
    On the other hand If you don't have a car you are not paying the govt. many taxes - :p

Advertisement