Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Blue850

No, 250 badge is on the wrong side, and its a RHD.
    If its still has its original engine it'll be a 2.8 with a carburettor despite the 250 badge, 250s from 1972 on had that engine, the fuel injected 2.8 got the 280E badge..but I bet there's a 240D or a Nissan diesel engine in it

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

I think I remember seeing that Merc in the Ranelagh area in a driveway of a house circa '97. House looked deserted as did the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Blue850 wrote: »
    No, 250 badge is on the wrong side, and its a RHD.
    If its still has its original engine it'll be a 2.8 with a carburettor despite the 250 badge, 250s from 1972 on had that engine, the fuel injected 2.8 got the 280E badge..but I bet there's a 240D or a Nissan diesel engine in it

No

All mercs of that era stuck rigidly to badge = engine size

200 = 2000 cc
    230 / 4 = 2300 four cylinder
    230 / 6 = 2300 six cylinder

250 = old six cylinder carb

280 = 2800 cc six carb

280 E = 2800 cc fuel injected

From memory 250 was worst of all engines , thirsty slow, and unreliable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

From memory 250 was worst of all engines , thirsty, slow, and unreliable

Ideally suited to Govt ministers then :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Capri wrote: »
    Ideally suited to Govt ministers then :D:D:D

Yeah Back handers , but it was a way of distinguishing rank too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

Came across this Mercedes Benz truck recently

The inusrance disc in the window is 11/05 and the tax disc is 03/06 so it isn't off the road that long. Not in bad condition or that rotten, but probably was better and soon will be worse :(

Photo0576.jpg

Photo0575.jpg

Photo0562.jpg

What year and county is that reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

^ Thats Kilkennny, about 1980/81

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mk1eighty

The merc has a diesel in it now, it was a petrol but the diesel engine is a merc engine with a manual box.

The owner said there is a badge in the engine bay saying something about been converted in a merc garage.

One of the previous owners was a limo company.

He also has IYI reg 240d in similar condition as the one in the photo and a LHD green one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Blue850

Bigus wrote: »
    No

All mercs of that era stuck rigidly to badge = engine size

200 = 2000 cc
    230 / 4 = 2300 four cylinder
    230 / 6 = 2300 six cylinder

250 = old six cylinder carb

280 = 2800 cc six carb

280 E = 2800 cc fuel injected

From memory 250 was worst of all engines , thirsty slow, and unreliable

No, 250s from late 72 on had the M130 2.8 with the Solex carburettor, I'd bet my 230.4 on it, plus my 1973 Mercedes brochure says it has the 2.8;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W114

Chassis code Years Model Engine Number built[6]
    Displacement Model Type
    W114.015 1968–1976 230, 230.6 2.3 L M180 I6 221,783
    W114.01333 1968–1972 250 2.5 L M114 I6 78,303
    W114.011 1972–1976 250 2.8 2.8 L M130 I6 34,061
    W114.023/022 1969–1976 250C/CE 2.8 L M130 I6 42,379
    W114.060/062 1972–1976 280/E 2.8 L M110 I6 67,373
    W114.073/072 1972–1976 280C/CE 2.8 L M110 I6 24,669

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Came across this Mercedes Benz truck recently

The inusrance disc in the window is 11/05 and the tax disc is 03/06 so it isn't off the road that long. Not in bad condition or that rotten, but probably was better and soon will be worse :(

One of the greatest vehicles ever made that Duesseldorfer. Unbelievably strong and robust, simple long life German engineering at it's simplest and best. I had a couple of them when I lived in Germany and drove some down through the Sahara to sell in West Africa. Fabulous machines.

The doors will rust but they just bolt off, the wheelarches will too, but so long as the ladder frame is OK it will be fine. Engine is nigh on indestructible as long as the oil is changed regular enough, same goes for gearbox and the axles. Parts are easy to find in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

bijapos wrote: »
    One of the greatest vehicles ever made that Duesseldorfer. Unbelievably strong and robust, simple long life German engineering at it's simplest and best. I had a couple of them when I lived in Germany and drove some down through the Sahara to sell in West Africa. Fabulous machines.

The doors will rust but they just bolt off, the wheelarches will too, but so long as the ladder frame is OK it will be fine. Engine is nigh on indestructible as long as the oil is changed regular enough, same goes for gearbox and the axles. Parts are easy to find in Germany.

Would be a nice restoration project especially if it's pre-80's, and handy too!

Gas, I see a lot of abandoned classics every week around Dublin but I never get the time to get a shot -
    Some that spring to mind - Citroen CX buried under flowerpots on Bow Lane beside Kilmainham Garda stn
    Morris Ital on Windmill / Kildare rd
    Citroen CX on Trimblestown Ave , Merrion rd
    Citroen DS on Springfield rd, Deans grange
    Merc 250S in Ranelagh
    .....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 SilverBullet

Hi Capri, where exactly is the DS in Sean's Grange? I know of a white US spec one around there. Looking for a few odds and ends for one. PM me the details if you like.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Citroen CX buried under flowerpots on Bow Lane beside Kilmainham Garda stn

I posted that one a while back...is it still there?
    Picture_045_Medium.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bjak

Looks like you could be attacked by a triffid if you went to enquire :D

Hermy wrote: »
    I posted that one a while back...is it still there?
    Picture_045_Medium.jpg

MORE flowerpots and a bit of Lowe Rust primer as well - just headlights and bumper sticking out now :eek:

Spotted this Saab while on a classic car run last sunday, its in the back of Conlans garage in Edenderry.

DSCF7500.jpg

Looks like its a 900 turbo, assuming someone didnt just add the turbo badge on the side afterwards and its a convertable, not to sure but reg looks like 83 d 29515

Is this a rare car? not into saabs myself but I know some are. Provided we get through the budget unnoticed it would be on cheap tax next year too :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Spotted this Saab while on a classic car run last sunday, its in the back of Conlans garage in Edenderry.

Looks like its a 900 turbo, assuming someone didnt just add the turbo badge on the side afterwards and its a convertable, reg looks like 83 d 29515

Is this a rare car? not into saabs myself but I know some are. Provided we get through the budget unnoticed it would be on cheap tax next year too :rolleyes:

Its the face lift version so it aint 83. I'd say its 93.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Its the face lift version so it aint 83. I'd say its 93.

Oh right, not into Saabs myself so i wouldn't know, reg is a little obsecured, me and my friends were even wondering whether it was a 8 or a 9

Is a 900 turbo still a fast and desireable car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

it's 89 D 29515

93 D 29515 is a Hino and 83 D 29514 doesn't exist.

89 D 29515 checks out as a Saab of unknown model. All according to cartell.ie so could be a work of fiction...

Conlans garage in Edenderry, bought a nice Omega 3000 GSi off them years ago - ran out of petrol on way back because fuel guage was wonky :o
    Fast car / slow headlights ( dire light output for some reason ), even 97 Lancer had better headlights :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

An old Peugeot I came across recently, just outside Blessington.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭8~)

Fast car / slow headlights ( dire light output for some reason ), even 97 Lancer had better headlights :mad:

I had a couple of that gen Omega. Great car but headlights were very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

sogood wrote: »
    An old Peugeot I came across recently, just outside Blessington.

Pity it wasn't saved a couple of years ago, rare car now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Sad thread.
    MORE flowerpots and a bit of Lowe Rust primer as well - just headlights and bumper sticking out now :eek:

The people in that house are eccentric, but I believe it is contrived, a sort of garden ornament for these bohos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Is a 900 turbo still a fast and desireable car?

yes. The only problem is that 1) you can't get a clean one for reasonable money 2) if you do, you won't want to drive anything else...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

Pdfile wrote: »
    yes. The only problem is that 1) you can't get a clean one for reasonable money 2) if you do, you won't want to drive anything else...

I agree!! Back in 1993, when i was 18, i had a 1986 900 Turbo. Fantastic cars to drive, still regret selling it, nearly 20 years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GubMan

Chap whose house I rented a room in as a student way way back in the 80's had a 900i 16V 2 door coupe in champagne. Used to drive him to Sachs in it & take it back home for safe parking in the garage. Rain didn't even fall on it! Beautiful beautiful car, nicer to drive than a black Turbo saloon that he had later, too much power. Post 93 they became Opels basically I understand, so no interest after that. Check out the Wheeler Dealer restoration one on the UK channels, original series. Gorgeous cars, would love one now!

Advertisement