Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Madeline - Anyone else sick of this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The funny thing is this guy's actually a teacher.

Yeah he speaks the truth it's just it is sky news that are to blame for the big hooplah. It's just that one more soldier dying isn't shocking (unfortunately) and one more african dying of famine isn't shocking.
    This is shocking because people think that it could happen to them and so the viewers tune in and so sky news will continue.

My heart goes out to the parents but there are other things going on in the world. Watching news channels from other countries really shows how bad sky news is, chinese news has all types of stories from all over asia and almost never focuses on personal things like this. Same with french news, its more global and reports stuff from places that sky news probably never heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

ok so the point of the media attention is to find her. But she isnt in ireland or england.. the media over here is pointless to that effect.
    but the media want viewers and thats what they'l get with a story like this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

It's only really the redtops and sky news that are devoting so much attention to this story. Just buy regular media, and let those guys simply be vehicles as an advertising service for the family's problem, hopefully leading to a good resolution.

I'm glad those tabloid media finally come in useful for something, to be honest. What would you prefer them to be talking about, Jordan? They don't have a lot to say at the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I don't understand how anyone can be annoyed about something like this. If the family are doing everything they can to keep their daughter in the limelight, then fair play to them. We'd all do the same if we were in their boat. Are you house bound by the way? Is the off button on the TV broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

It might be to you but not to the rest of us. A child is just another person in a world of billions. Nothing special at all about them

I have to say thats a horrible comment. Just cause there are billions of people in the world doesnt mean we're not special. I would argue the opposite. Every single life is important. I'm not going to argue about importance, the Iraq war, famine, AIDS, all of these things. Yes they are all dreadful and in terms of significance, the kidnapping of a little girl is not comparable.

I think Sky do try to cash in, but the story is big because people are empathising with the parents and feeling some emotion, i'd rather people watch this than Coronation Street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Its a load of bollox, children are going missing every day, why is this child different?
    Hope you never have a child go missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I wonder how many children have died worldwide from hunger since this kid went missing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Nephew wrote:
    I wonder how many children have died worldwide from hunger since this kid went missing

Yep, horrible. Hope none of them were raped as they starved too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

RuggieBear wrote:
    It's a sad story but it's not worthy of all this media attention.

Not worthy. What the hell? This is a child life.

A lot of children might go missing and a lot might not get this type of coverage but if they are lucky enough to then hopefully it will create enough support and determination to find the child

A lot maybe but that is a different type of scenario. World hunger can't be prevent in the next few weeks but the child might have a chance of being found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭BigTommyBomb

Just cause there are billions of people in the world doesnt mean we're not special
    Haha. Are you serious? I'm talking about the real world here and not Barney's version of it.
    If everybody is special then nobody is special. Special by its very nature is something different or unique.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Nehpets wrote:
    A lot maybe but that is a different type of scenario. World hunger can't be prevent in the next few weeks but the child might have a chance of being found.

Someone is offering a £1.5m reward to the pleb who finds this kid, imagine how many lives £1.5m could save in parts of Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭BigTommyBomb

imagine how many lives £1.5m could save in parts of Africa.
    Yeah but they are weird looking black kids. This is the life of a little white girl we are talking about. She is special.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

RuggieBear wrote:
    It's a sad story but it's not worthy of all this media attention.
    I think we have reached a new level of Me Feinery.

This is one deeply sick topic title.

The media is all over it because everyone (with the slightest modicum of empathy and feeling) is worried and concerned for the parents and child.

If you think otherwise, then go back to your X-Box stage of development and hope you'll grow a heart soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

Nephew wrote:
    Someone is offering a £1.5m reward to the pleb who finds this kid, imagine how many lives £1.5m could save in parts of Africa.

Imagine how many lives we could save if we weren't arsing around Boards. We all have the ability to do something, not just those with millions.

At the end of the day, Madeleine's abduction is a situation that has captured everyone's attention. If the media hype helps to get her back safely, it'll be worth it. Yes she's only one child, and unfortunately there are a million others whose voices have gone unheard, but who can honestly say that they wouldn't be glad to see this child re-united with her parents?

The media is all over it because everyone (with the slightest modicum of empathy and feeling) is worried and concerned for the parents and child.

If you think otherwise, then go back to your X-Box stage of development and hope you'll grow a heart soon.

You're pretty out of line there. Did you read the thread? Nobody is saying it isn't tragic, I have a little sister and I sympathise with them completely. People are saying she is getting too much media attention and that she's not the only child suffering in the world. 9 days of wall to wall coverage is a bit much. Why do you care more about her than all the other children suffering that sky news aren't telling you about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

The total reward is £2.5m now. That's crazy. Let's hope no criminal types get any quick money-making ideas from it.

1. Black van
    2. Small girl
    3. ???
    4. Profit

Nephew wrote:
    imagine how many lives £1.5m could save in parts of Africa.
    That's a good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I thought the same thing about those girls in manchester those years ago. New news please

Caliden wrote:
    I thought the same thing about those girls in manchester those years ago. New news please

15 year old black kid gets stabbed in london gets 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Agree totally with you.

Some of the comments on this thread are pretty despicable and I hope to God no one else experiences the agony that this poor family are going through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

St Bill wrote:
    If the media hype helps to get her back safely, it'll be worth it.

Exactly. and if not, it was worth a try!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

the media is all over this because they can make money from exploiting it. nothing more nothing less. You are stupidly naive to think otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

whiskeyman wrote:
    She's only one little girl.

To YOU she's only one little girl. To someone else she's their world.

Don't be so damn selfish.

Someone else in this thread made the argument that its not such a big deal since "kids go missing everyday", well so the f*ck what if they do?. People die of cancer everyday, people of in road traffic accidents and of heart attacks every day, should that mean we shouldn't work towards cures and prevention's?.

The lack of humanity in some posters in this thread is very, very sad.

Caliden wrote:

They had names you know..

Nephew wrote:

The person who finds this little girl will hardly be a "pleb".

And yes, €1.5m could save alot of lives in Africa (spent wisely). But it also gets far more killed.

I personally couldnt give a **** about anybody elses life unless I know them personally. If you are going to pretend to feel human empathy then it should be equal for all people of the world and for all ages/sex etc.

Aren't you the big man now :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Caliden wrote:

They were blonde and cherubic too IIRC.

I guess the lesson to be learnt is if your worried you're little brat is gonna get kidnapped someday then the least you can do is make sure they photo well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

First of all, there's a lot of moral high-horsing going on here. "They had names you know" - seriously, get over yourself. If anyone here really cares, and I mean really cares... then get your ass down to Portugal and help out with the search effort if you're in a financial position to do so. I'm sure your boss will admire your brave efforts and will appreciate your absence at the start of next week, considering all the media publicity he/she has undoubtedly seen.

Secondly, I agree with the OP about Sky News. They seem to brand, gift wrap and treat tragedies like this with a certain lack of pathos.

At the end of the day though, it's probably good that the story is getting this kind of coverage. Even if it is totally crass. It's humanising the young girl and raising awareness of the case, increasing the chances of her being found alive and well.

Laslo wrote:
    First of all, there's a lot of moral high-horsing going on here. "They had names you know" - seriously, get over yourself. If anyone here really cares, and I mean really cares... then get your ass down to Portugal and help out with the search effort if you're in a financial position to do so. I'm sure your boss will admire your brave efforts and will appreciate your absence at the start of next week, considering all the media publicity he/she has undoubtedly seen.

Oh, thats me your quoting so I think I'll answer.

In the last 22 year's I've done alot of voluntary oversea's work so I think I'm allowed to take at least 'some' moral high ground here.

Actually I was thinking about the attitude's displayed by some people here and came to the conclusion that most are probably teenagers or very early 20's with no real life experiences to draw from.

As regards Sky News. Their simply doing their job, point to a better 24hr news service and I'll watch it.

Thats about it from me. I've given my opinion it the subject of the thread. As for the thread, it'll probably get a sh*t load of view's/replies, the OP will think himself a fantastic little fellow for stirring people up and next week think of something else to get us all going.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

I know its extreemely sad that this 3 year old girl had been abducted but

what i am thinking is if any Irish or Iraqi girl will go missing will BBC and Sky report it the same way ? will it get the same publicity

why british or american blood seems to have Priority ?

30 dead in Iraq as we speak & scores injured
    and they will not even be mentioned

ahhhh

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Mairt wrote:

As regards Sky News. Their simply doing their job, point to a better 24hr news service and I'll watch it.

Regards.

al jazeera english and france 24 are both very good, sky digital has chinese, russian and indian 24 hour stations too that are well worth a gander every now and again.

and of course there's always fox.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement